2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Getting fit for the first time in 8 years. Need some suggestions on clubs to test.

tjcook1

I'm scheduled to tour a full 3 hour tour van fitting at 2nd swing. I am looking for suggestions on what irons you guys like and what fairway woods/hybrids that you suggest I test out that you guys have had success with.

Im looking to upgrade my driver and hybrid for sure and am probably due for new wedges. I like my irons but would like something more forgiving for my longer irons.

My buddy, who is on staff with TM, just got a 2 iron GAPR and he loves it so I want to try that for sure. He also suggested the Callaway Apex irons. He likes them, but cant play them bc hes on staff with TM.

I'm a 2.1 Handicap, X shafts in all clubs except wedge flex in wedges.

Currently hitting a TM RBZ driver in x shaft

Tour Exotics 4 wood

TM 22 degree 4 hybrid

Adams MB2 irons

TM wedges

Thank you

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't that the fitter's job?

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

I'm not a Cobra guy, but I hit the new F9 driver and its an amazing feeling club that hits the ball a long way. Definitely try the GAPR. I've hit them all and the GAPR mid seems to be the one that is the most forgiving without sacrificing playability and distance.

I havent been a Cobra guy either, but have since a bunch of good reviews on the F9 so it is one of the drivers I want to test. Sound is really important to me when it comes to the driver.

I think you may well struggle to beat your Adams MB2 irons if I am honest.

It really depends on what you are looking for.

All the new gear is decent, and in truth very similar with only a little variance between them all.

The newer tech tends to have jacked up lofts but other tech stuff going on that will launch the ball higher; despite the strong lofts. I prefer the more traditional club type and lofts, as for me it gives great control.

None of the new blade type irons and going to give you anything better than your MB2s - just my view of course.

I'd try Ping G400 and G410 drivers, as well as Taylormade woods (see if they have a 2016 M2 driver to try?), or a Cobra F9 speedback

I'd hit Cobra fairways (F8, F9) and Ping G410, maybe a TEE CBX if they have it?

Cobra or Taylormade both make good hybrids/driving irons.

I'd just keep your irons.

Usual suspects are making good wedges (Vokey SM7, Callaway Mack Daddy 4, Taylormade Hi-Toe)

Personally, your fitter will likely have a 'preferred' set of equipment that he will push you towards. This may be due to their personal preferences, relationships with manufacturers, etc. They will also likely fit you with a Callaway or Mizuno / etc fitting system. Once the numbers are in - it will be up to you, with your fitters guidance to determine what you purchase. My first fitting mistake, I blindly went with whatever the fitter recommended...was not thrilled about the look of the heads and never fell in love with my set. Second time, I brought some of my preferences to the table and we worked together. I would suggest that you think about (test) various heads that appeal most to you. After your fitting, you can see if the fitter can get you into something that you find appealing...chances are you can pick between 4-5 lines as many have similar characteristics. The shaft should be less on preference and more on evidence / results. Also, I told my fitter that I don't want a $500 head and $600 shaft. Some Mfgs have free or low cost shaft upgrades...take that into consideration too.

Good Luck. Have fun

Driver (9.0) - Cobra LTDx Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S, 44.5"
Wood (14.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S

Wood (17.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S
Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
Putter - Edel E-1
Ball - Titleist Prov1x
ZGrip Midsized Grips

I think you may well struggle to beat your Adams MB2 irons if I am honest.

It really depends on what you are looking for.

All the new gear is decent, and in truth very similar with only a little variance between them all.

The newer tech tends to have jacked up lofts but other tech stuff going on that will launch the ball higher; despite the strong lofts. I prefer the more traditional club type and lofts, as for me it gives great control.

None of the new blade type irons and going to give you anything better than your MB2s - just my view of course.

I love my irons and plan on keeping them. I want to check the lie and loft to make sure they dont need to be adjusted. I currently have project x 130g x-stiff shafts in them and I love them but am interested in what seeing a 110g shaft does to my ball flight. Ideally I would like to hit them higher. I caddied for a big wig at Adams years ago and said I could pick out any irons I wanted. I got fit and ordered my MB2s. I couldnt mix and match so PW-4 iron are blades. Ideally I would like to get a more forgiving 4 and 5 iron and maybe even 6 iron as well.

I'd try Ping G400 and G410 drivers, as well as Taylormade woods (see if they have a 2016 M2 driver to try?), or a Cobra F9 speedback

I'd hit Cobra fairways (F8, F9) and Ping G410, maybe a TEE CBX if they have it?

Cobra or Taylormade both make good hybrids/driving irons.

I'd just keep your irons.

Usual suspects are making good wedges (Vokey SM7, Callaway Mack Daddy 4, Taylormade Hi-Toe)

thank you for the suggestions.

Personally, your fitter will likely have a 'preferred' set of equipment that he will push you towards. This may be due to their personal preferences, relationships with manufacturers, etc. They will also likely fit you with a Callaway or Mizuno / etc fitting system. Once the numbers are in - it will be up to you, with your fitters guidance to determine what you purchase. My first fitting mistake, I blindly went with whatever the fitter recommended...was not thrilled about the look of the heads and never fell in love with my set. Second time, I brought some of my preferences to the table and we worked together. I would suggest that you think about (test) various heads that appeal most to you. After your fitting, you can see if the fitter can get you into something that you find appealing...chances are you can pick between 4-5 lines as many have similar characteristics. The shaft should be less on preference and more on evidence / results. Also, I told my fitter that I don't want a $500 head and $600 shaft. Some Mfgs have free or low cost shaft upgrades...take that into consideration too.

Good Luck. Have fun

The fitter comes highly recommended and is currently booked 2 weeks out. People pointed out he didnt push them to one brand etc and is a certified fitter in all the major brands I am interested in.

I agree with the "look" and sound especially with the woods and hybrid or possibly TM GAPR. My current TM 22 degree hybrid is the worst club in my bag and am really hoping to find something I can hit more consistent in the yardage gap I need.

Yes to the shaft as long it doesnt break the bank. I wont be paying up for a $400 driver shaft that has only marginally better results than a more reasonably price one.

The fitting also comes with another appointment 6-8 weeks later so I can see if any changes need to be made or what can be dialed in better.

Thanks for your input. I appreciate it.

i think you should try the new titleist driver for sure, i like my rogue a bunch but when i went back to get fit for the irons i hit the two titleist's and thought they were great. would definitely try the rogue/epic and definitely the ping g400 and the new one too if they have it.eally wanted to.

i love my rogue 3h and 3w - definitely worth a crack on the hybrid if you like the old adams stuff...it kind of has that look in the face

wedges i think are more about preference for look/feel than anything else in the bag - i liked mizuno, vokey, ping glide. i did not like the hi-toe but i r

i think you should try the new titleist driver for sure, i like my rogue a bunch but when i went back to get fit for the irons i hit the two titleist's and thought they were great. would definitely try the rogue/epic and definitely the ping g400 and the new one too if they have it.eally wanted to.

i love my rogue 3h and 3w - definitely worth a crack on the hybrid if you like the old adams stuff...it kind of has that look in the face

wedges i think are more about preference for look/feel than anything else in the bag - i liked mizuno, vokey, ping glide. i did not like the hi-toe but i r

New Titleist driver is on my list.

I'm scheduled to tour a full 3 hour tour van fitting at 2nd swing. I am looking for suggestions on what irons you guys like and what fairway woods/hybrids that you suggest I test out that you guys have had success with.

Im looking to upgrade my driver and hybrid for sure and am probably due for new wedges. I like my irons but would like something more forgiving for my longer irons.

My buddy, who is on staff with TM, just got a 2 iron GAPR and he loves it so I want to try that for sure. He also suggested the Callaway Apex irons. He likes them, but cant play them bc hes on staff with TM.

I'm a 2.1 Handicap, X shafts in all clubs except wedge flex in wedges.

Currently hitting a TM RBZ driver in x shaft

Tour Exotics 4 wood

TM 22 degree 4 hybrid

Adams MB2 irons

TM wedges

Thank you

Not to sound like an *** but why not just let the person do their job and you know, fit you? You're paying to be fit, and the person has a 2-week wait list with a long list of hapy clients (or so you 've heard) so why not take the hands off approach and let them work their magic? Sure you can go in and say I'm a 2 handicap with X dollars to spend...I heard those Apex Pros are pretty good and I really want to try a GAPR Lo as my buddy has one and smashes it. However, that would be as about as controlling as I personally would want to be. I want to make sure that I am getting fit for the best clubs FOR ME not the best clubs I THINK are for me. Having been fitting for a while I think this happens far more than not and it makes seeing improvements a lot harder. My best fits are when the people give you an idea of price point but are kind of open in terms of what they want to play and just let you do your thing. The fits where people dictate everything usually see little improvements and you can tell they are wondering why they are even there.

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

Let the fitter fit you. If done properly he'll assess your swing, speed, angles, etc., Then fit you into a shaft based on that. Once you find the shaft, then try head's. This is where your preference comes in. Blades, bounce, offset, etc.

Can't really go wrong once you find a shaft, but then you start looking at weight, lie.angle, and length. Hard to fit SW. Hopefully you have that "money" club in your bag, so he can check weight, lie, and length for you. I just built everything exactly like a previous set because I was happy with it. Other fitters go different ways but this method made sense to me, but i do have a fairly consistent swing.

PING G430 LST 10* Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50S

PING G430 LST 3Wd 16.0* Fujikura XLR8 61

PING iCrossover Ventus Blue HB 7R

PING i525 4-PW Mitsubishi OTi 105 Stiff

Edel 47* TRP/54* DVR/58* DVR KBS CTaper Lite 110 Stiff

PING PLD DZB Proto