2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Cabot Links & Cliffs Review (w/ Pics)

HafeYo

All I can say about this trip is that you should take it this year, next year or in five years; just go and make the trip to Cabot Links Resort. These two courses (currently but word is a par 3 and putting are in the works) stand out as phenomenal golf courses, but the service and the atmosphere takes it above and beyond. The staff is polite, friendly and knowledgeable and the locals seem to be very happy with the new traffic, for the most part. This is a golf first and only kind of place and the vibe is amazingly pure.

While not easy to get to from the states it is not nearly as bad as a few other destinations. The main airport most will fly in and out of will be Halifax but there is another smaller regional airport in Sydney. From Halifax it was about a 3 ½ hour drive and the first 1 ½ was boring – think tree after tree. But once you get to Antigonish the scenery greatly improves. From Sydney it is about 1 or 1 ½ and for me the added cost compared to savings just did not add up.

Once you arrive at the tiny town of Inverness you’ll notice some old buildings being rehabbed and the juxtaposition of old businesses with new just starting to sprout up. A new coffee shop has opened on the main drag (the only one really) and it is quite clear the owners are not local. But the coffee and breakfast options are great at Downstreet Coffee and well worth a change from the Cabot offerings. Speaking of which the food and service on site at Cabot's three restaurants is great and I did not have a single bad meal. The Panaroma restaurant is superb and a great place for a refined meal.

When we arrived at 8:30 my girlfriend checked in and I snuck around to the 18th green and set up my master plan...

NOW FOR THE GOLF.

We started day one with Cabot Links - par 70 6,854 yards.

The first hole was a three shot par 5 playing into a head on wind with some rain. While it was not a brutal start it was enough to hurt you if you do not pay attention. The second and third are two really great holes. A long Par 3 with a stellar Biarritz green nestled into some nice mounding. Play left and the ball will feed back. Right is a tough up and down. The Par 4th hole is where you start to see the strategy of a links layout.

The play is left to have a view in at the green, but with a right side pin I played to the right center.

Short Par 3 5th - Make sure to mind the foxes just left of the green. And long right is OK as there is a bunker there to catch you.

The stellar cape hole Par 4 6th is next. The best line is over the bunker on the right (in pic). Left myself 118 into a back pin.

From this point you start your trek back towards the clubhouse and along the beach of the Gulf of St. Lawerence Sound for 5 straight holes. Some of the coolest holes in Canada or North America await.

Par 3 7th. What a site...

The par 5 8th. A great two shot hole with plenty of advantages for those sorely needed birdies. As the picture below shows it is a blind second shot up the hill to a MASSIVE shared green. And while I was on in two I was putting from a very tricky spot. So if you do go for this in two the pin position must be accounted for and a lay up may be the better play.

The 9th is a birdie hole as well. Short and downhill the best play is left but I went right... and found these guys below. I hit the pin with my second for a tap in. Also it has a solid view (seeing a trend)

10 - Par 4 is a short downhill hole. Blind tee shot over some mounding and the green can be had with ALOT of luck as you will see the bunkering protecting it gives little chance to find it blindly. Best play is the left side of the mound and with a 220 shot.

11 is a long and mean Par 5. Downhill then uphill with a pot bunker and sloping towards the water to the right. The green is a must hit or you'll be in plenty of fescue.

The 13th has a blind tee shot over the hill, but a generous fairway if you play center/left. Right is dead here, however the guys we played with got up and down from there. The green is shared with the 8th (left side) and behind is the 14th tee box is behind (you can see a group on the tee).

Greens have serious sloping back to front and a few swells and pots, making it a rough go.

The 14th is a wee little thing that is tough as nails. It played 89 to the pin for us and I had to land it just over the bunker. It's hard and fast on that green. Even though I threw a 60* way up it still ran out, however a birdie was had so no worries.

Also THIS view...

15 is a medium sized par 4 but we had the wind at our back. Coupled with the downhill tee shot this plays much shorter and keeping it left center is ideal.

The 16th is a great hole, but I was busy grinding it out for my Par to take any decent photos. The play is to the right side of the fairway to give yourself more room off the tee. From there you can thread it at the pin make sure to bail short, if anything.

17 is a great precision one shot hole that demands placement. I went at the pin and overcooked it into a small bunker on the left and somehow got up and down. The green has a lot of slope and depending on where you are off the green you'll need to get creative.

Looking back from 18th tee

18 is a nice mellow finish if you like 475 yard par 4's with everyone in the resort watching you. Getting the ball in the fairway is not the hard part, but rather getting the ball on the green. This is a pin placement first hole. Find out where it is and work the angle back from there as you can be in deep trouble if you have the wrong line.

The round was great even with a light rain through three holes. But the rest of the way the sunshine was out and warm so we decided to get some lunch and head to play twilight at the Cliffs.

More to come!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Congrats

There myself in 4 weeks

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

• 4 weeks later...

I've been there twice and played each course once. My first round I came off 18 at links as the sun went down to meet the Mr. Ben Crenshaw. He took time to talk to me and take a photo. Very nice man. I also had the special chance to be part of the team titleist golf ball shoot at cliffs last september. This place is very special. Hope to get back this fall.

Titleist TS4 10.5 project x smoke 6.5
Taylormade m6 5 wood project x smoke 6.5
Titleist 910H (Diamana Blue 60S, 21degree)
Titleist 690.mb 3-PW s300
Titleist sm7 chrome (54, wedge flex)
Titleist sm5 raw (58, wedge flex)
Odyssey white hot #8 34"
Ball (donations found in the trees)
Titleist 4up stand bag
Nike TW20 

Played Cliffs this morning

Wow

Will add review after doing the 18 hour drive home

Love the 6-6-6

Greens not there yet ... What a setting ... Not 1 weak hole

Reminded me of Kingsbarns

EvnRoll ER9

EvnRoll ER9

Great Photos,

My wife and I played last year and it was the freaking best. We played both cliffs and links and bother were amazing. PURE golf No carts and just a great place to be. Yes the resort food is very good and when we were there the prices were also very reasonable considering the limited options in the area.

I have friends who work out there and they take great pride in people sharing about how wonderful the experience is.

Thank you for sharing.

• 3 weeks later...

Just back late last night. 3 rounds, 2 at the Links, 1 at The Cliffs. Cardoustie was spot on. Greens at Cliffs need time. We were scheduled for 2 rounds there, but opted for 2nd round at Links, where the greens were mature. My 3rd year there. It never gets old. Feel free to contact me for any questions. -B-

• 10 months later...

Just back late last night. 3 rounds, 2 at the Links, 1 at The Cliffs. Cardoustie was spot on. Greens at Cliffs need time. We were scheduled for 2 rounds there, but opted for 2nd round at Links, where the greens were mature. My 3rd year there. It never gets old. Feel free to contact me for any questions. -B-

Bummer about the greens....I can't wait. Oct can't come fast enough.

It is painful getting there from Phoenix. But I am sure it will be worth it.

• 3 weeks later...

No flight from PHX to Montreal?

Titleist 917D2 10.5* GD DI-6s
Titleist 917F 18* GD DI-7s
Adams 22* Hybrid
TM p790 5 - PW
Titleist SM4 50, 54, 58
Scotty Newport 2

Ball: 7 yards ahead of Cruisin's

Well...it is due to our plan. Flying to Toronto, then Toronto to Sydney, pick up a car and travel around Cape Breton, then take ferry to PEI, then PEI to Moncton, drop off car and fly Moncton to Toronto.

Just looked at Montreal and it is 3x the price to do what I am doing.

Well...it is due to our plan. Flying to Toronto, then Toronto to Sydney, pick up a car and travel around Cape Breton, then take ferry to PEI, then PEI to Moncton, drop off car and fly Moncton to Toronto.

Just looked at Montreal and it is 3x the price to do what I am doing.

Fox Harbour is about 45 minutes past Pictou (ferry). Definitely worth checking out, if you have a private jet, it has a landing strip right on the course.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

So back from my trip and it was fantastic. Really enjoyed every second. Plus, the whole area had unseasonably nice weather...even hot a couple of days, which made the trip that much better.

I had great luck at Cabot Cliffs, because they were hosting a Canadian Professional event (scramble I believe); so my second round on Cabot was played in amazing conditions with the greens running as probably a 11, as opposed to my first round where they were maybe an 8. So I consider that super lucky.

What a great course with a one of the best set of finishing holes I have played.

Cabot Cliffs:

37823465086_071d88fe09_b.jpg

37162167304_3a5140123d_b.jpg

37162171664_c9f3acd58f_b.jpg

37162178314_6fc929aa18_b.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

Just booked my trip for Sept.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to the golf weather gods that I'm not there this week with tropical storm Erin bearing down on NS.

Of course that doesn't preclude something coming later. I'm golfing on the 21-23.

I'll say it again, The Cliffs is Canada's Kingsbarns ... with a far FAR better closing hole

EvnRoll ER9

Counting the days.

Agree with you on the 18th at Kingsbarns. It's so out of character with the rest of the course.

@kobe123 and @ManBearPig98 , what days are you going to be there?

> @Bargegolf said:

> I actually liken Cabot Cliffs to Old Head. Spectacular views, eye candy "signature holes" everywhere.

>

> From a design, playability perspective, I personally preferred Cabot Links over the Cliffs by a wide margin.

Me too. You might want to read my review here;

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1782393/our-trip-to-cabot-and-fox-harbr-is-less-than-a-month-away#latest