HOLD EVERYTHING: New scientific study says PUTT WITH THE PIN OUT!

BenSeattle

I have not read the studies that closely; just a scan. I get the "theories." But let's talk reality. As others have mentioned before, "holing speed" is going to be a big factor. Pelz came up with his 17" speed theory to overcome the "lumpy donut" and he knows from lots of data that most weekenders are leaving the putt short (not including the people who can't putt to begin with and jam everything 5 feet by).

The 30" holing speed is interesting to me. I wouldn't mind seeing the logic behind that. It seems to me, generally speaking, tour players may have more speed to hold a line better and they practice so much on the short putts they do not mind being 2 1/2 feet by. That kind of speed freaks out most weekenders.

I don't know how you measure having the pin in gets you better chance through improved alignment, feel, data point...whatever you call it, but more information generally should be better than not, right? Still, through the course of a year, for tour players, 25 tournaments, and let's just say they make all the cuts, so 100 rounds...1800 holes, roughly 3000 putts. How many will miss by being "robbed" by the pin? i.e. ball hits pin and deflects off and stays out of hole. And of the ones that do that, how many can you say would definitively not gone in anyway if the pin was out? Conversely, how many putts of the 3,000 were definitely not going in but the pin helped?

Are we talking an average on one putt per player per year? That's what it feels like to me, but I don't have the data and really neither does anyone else. And on top of that, how are the studies being done? With the "perfect putter". Well, guess what, not even Tiger Woods in his prime was the "perfect putter". As consistent and great of a putter someone like Faxon or Crenshaw was, do you think they had the same holing speed on every putt? Of course not. The human factor makes this very hard to pinpoint.

The perfect putter is a metal ramp with anchors that should give very consistent performance roll after roll....

If you’re saying that no one can actually replicate the consistency of the perfect putter, I think that while true, it’s besides the point.

What people are trying to capture here is: does having the pin in increase, decrease or no impact one’s odds of making a putt....

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is interesting and supports my skepticism of the previous studies. Personally I've experienced the flag stick deflecting a birdie putt entering on the high side that every guy in my group agreed would have gone in had the stick not been there. I shared my experience and got lambasted in a previous thread for choosing small sample size anecdotal evidence over science...lol.

As expected, now we have a study indicating the opposite of the previously touted "science." I still say choose the optics that look best to you and inspire confidence, whether in, or out. For me, it's out save for lag putts outside of 35 feet where I'll leave it in simply for convenience.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Most golf pros aren't physicists.

Bryson DeChambeau is. :-)

Though from what I've read it sounds as though he's advocating for the pin to be left in.

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

There was a disclaimer at the end of the article: This was published to continue and further confuse the debate in the general populace. That is all.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

Everyone seems to be focusing on balls deflecting off the flag. Leaving the pin in is a visual aid for long putts which are so much easier for amateur's to get the ball closer to the hole. Thus, decreasing 3 putts. It's nothing new and it's not rocket science. If you don't think you will get the ball closer to the hole leaving the flag in for a 30 foot putt , you're wrong.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

Callaway 2007 X-Forged 5-PW/ PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 / Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2.5+ 

Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving

Everyone seems to be focusing on balls deflecting off the flag. Leaving the pin in is a visual aid for long putts which are so much easier for amateur's to get the ball closer to the hole. Thus, decreasing 3 putts. It's nothing new and it's not rocket science. If you don't think you will get the ball closer to the hole leaving the flag in for a 30 foot putt , you're wrong.

There are "amateurs" who are so bad at putting, a Southwest Airlines grounds crew with lighted batons pointing at the hole won't prevent the 3-putt (or worse!). Sorry, had to throw that out there, but yes agree, it helps on the long putts, how can it not? The question is, can a 18+ handicap take advantage of that?

There are "amateurs" who are so bad at putting, a Southwest Airlines grounds crew with lighted batons pointing at the hole won't prevent the 3-putt (or worse!). Sorry, had to throw that out there, but yes agree, it helps on the long putts, how can it not? The question is, can a 18+ handicap take advantage of that?

Of course! Every time he accidentally hits one on the right line and bounces one off the flag, leaving a tap-in. I estimate this might happen once every 10 to 20 rounds.

Most golf pros aren't physicists.

Bryson DeChambeau is. :-)

Though from what I've read it sounds as though he's advocating for the pin to be left in.

A Bachelors in Physics doesn’t make you a physicist.

If the pin is in I will putt with it in , if it’s out I’ll leave it out. I do like it on long putts.

I always like more data, but this isn't any more conclusive for ALL cases than the Pelz or MGS or LSW studies were. My conclusion so far, based on everything I've read.

For putts going so fast that the would NOT go in, the flagstick can only help, by keeping the ball closer to the hole

For putts that are perfect speed, that would go in every time, the flagstick can only hurt. That might only be going from 100% make to 98%, but that's still hurting. On the other hand, the flagstick will help some people line up, so they'll make more putts with it in, even if they miss a couple directly because of the flagstick.

In between speeds, its going to depend on speed, type of flagstick, slope, location within the hole that the ball enters, lean of the stick, too many things to make a definite conclusion.

The tough part is deciding on those in-betweeners. None of us have perfect speed control, none of us hit every putt on exactly the line we plan, and no green is so perfect that every putt will roll perfectly true. None of us is good enough to say "I'm going to hit this at "2-feet past speed" and its going to hit 1/2" off-center to the high side, because that's optimum". You have to play the percentages, and by reading all the published data you can educate yourself on what the percentages really are.

I find your well-reasoned, articulate, dispassionate takes offensive. Please stop them at once.

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

This thread explains exactly why I don’t like this rule... They took something black and white and created swirl where there was none.

I preferred it when the pin had to be taken out, but I’d be just fine with it being left in 100% of the time. What I don’t like is the swirl this half-way house creates.

To top it off TV announcers should have been given a maximum of 1 week from the beginning of January to ramble on about the new rule when every single player makes a putt. From day 8 to day 14 it should have resulted in house arrest. From day 15 on, jail time.

This thread explains exactly why I don't like this rule... They took something black and white and created swirl where there was none.

Its still absolutely black and white. There is NO penalty for hitting an unattended flagstick, no matter where you're playing the shot from. I don't see how it could be any clearer.

It is a stupid rule. The rule makers should reverse it right now.

Its fine to have an opinion, but if you're going to change anyone's mind, you need to explain WHY you think its stupid.

I find your well-reasoned, articulate, dispassionate takes offensive. Please stop them at once.

I'm sorry, I realize that make's me a misfit here. But I got no place else to go. I GOT NO PLACE ELSE TO GO!!!!

This thread explains exactly why I don't like this rule... They took something black and white and created swirl where there was none.

Its still absolutely black and white. There is NO penalty for hitting an unattended flagstick, no matter where you're playing the shot from. I don't see how it could be any clearer.

Its fine to have an opinion, but if you're going to change anyone's mind, you need to explain WHY you think its stupid.

I'm sorry, I realize that make's me a misfit here. But I got no place else to go. I GOT NO PLACE ELSE TO GO!!!!

I see what he means by the swirl. It’s because there is now a choice to make. And people aren’t smart enough to have choices in general speak. It was absolutely black and white as far as play goes. Now it’s not. It’s a “ thing”. Do you want it in or out ? Then when you want it out you’ve got some ( even said so here ) that are going to throw up their passive aggressive feathers and demand you pull and replace your own pin. So courtesy is being trampled on as well. Far from black and white anymore in practice.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I see what he means by the swirl. It's because there is now a choice to make. And people aren't smart enough to have choices in general speak. It was absolutely black and white as far as play goes. Now it's not. It's a " thing". Do you want it in or out ? Then when you want it out you've got some ( even said so here ) that are going to throw up their passive aggressive feathers and demand you pull and replace your own pin. So courtesy is being trampled on as well. Far from black and white anymore in practice.

Its funny, lots of people want to choose how high to drop from, they advocate anywhere from knee to shoulder high. Yet other people HATE having to make a choice on the flagstick. I've said it a few times, if you know what you're doing, and communicate reasonably well, handling the flagstick shouldn't be an issue. And if it IS an issue, maybe its YOU (and your group), and not the rule that allows you to choose. And blade, i don't mean you specifically, just the fella who doesn't like having choices.

snapback.pngbaudi, on 08 February 2019 - 08:13 AM, said:

davep043, on 08 February 2019 - 02:18 PM, said:

OffTopic

Very true but it is a side issue to this topic.

IMO the basic idea of this rule was only to speed up the game.

The new rule affects playing strategy and playing attitude/structure.

That could not be the main goal

A bit more On Topic: Question:

What is the verdict on the tough 4-5 footers on a slick green with a nasty break? eg. downhill.

With the old rule the player had to be very careful and judge speed and line. it requires a sensitive approach which will tingle in your bollocks if it is for eagle or a win on the final hole. It is the kind of tension i fear and I love. Overaggression could/shall be punished.

With the new rule it feels like I could ignore the break and attack my ball like a cue ball aimed at a pocket. Hit the stick straight and the ball will drop. If that is true I might gain a shot but will lose a feeling.

BTW Pelz's 17 inches is a rough average estimate. The exact length is determined by green speed.

Appreciate you posting the article.

I didn't need testing to know this tho. Pretty obvious from history of play that a breaking putt with speed would get kicked out by the flagstick. I will still continue to putt with the flag in for long putts because it helps with depth perception, thus, speed control.

I pull the pin for just about anything else.

Its funny, lots of people want to choose how high to drop from, they advocate anywhere from knee to shoulder high. Yet other people HATE having to make a choice on the flagstick. I've said it a few times, if you know what you're doing, and communicate reasonably well, handling the flagstick shouldn't be an issue. And if it IS an issue, maybe its YOU (and your group), and not the rule that allows you to choose. And blade, i don't mean you specifically, just the fella who doesn't like having choices.

That's a little different, though. The activity if dropping doesn't involve any other players in the group.

Also, somebody would just find a way to drop and leave it at that.

With the PGA coverage so far, individual players aren't even consistent from putt to putt about whether they're keeping the flag in or out... And they have caddies to help them through it. They're trying to assess the potential impact on the result.

The biggest issue with flag in or out is that it was meant to speed up play, but in actuality you're giving people an extra decision to make that they believe (rightly or wrongly) could materially affect their ability to hole a shot. Take the average dude that stands there in the fairway sweating over 8i or 9i is the right club... now you're taking that to the green and adding the same swirl to the flagstick. It's become a performance discussion.

OffTopic

What is the verdict on the tough 4-5 footers on a slick green with a nasty break? eg. downhill.

With the old rule the player had to be very careful and judge speed and line. it requires a sensitive approach which will tingle in your bollocks if it is for eagle or a win on the final hole. It is the kind of tension i fear and I love. Overaggression could/shall be punished.

With the new rule it feels like I could ignore the break and attack my ball like a cue ball aimed at a pocket. Hit the stick straight and the ball will drop. If that is true I might gain a shot but will lose a feeling.

This is certainly one potential approach, hit everything firm. But even at 4 to 5 feet, if there's a significant break there's no way to make it truly straight by hitting it harder. Assuming you want to keep a miss on the green, there's no way. I think you'd find that you'd still miss a significant percentage of these. Strokes gained stats for professions show 20% are missed at 5 feet, I imagine that for breaking putts that percentage is higher. With the speed you describe, a lot of these misses will turn into 3-putts. I think most people will find that they're best off by using their normal speed. We're just not that precise, and the green surfaces aren't that perfect that anyone can be certain of hitting the center of the flagstick.

The biggest issue with flag in or out is that it was meant to speed up play, but in actuality you're giving people an extra decision to make that they believe (rightly or wrongly) could materially affect their ability to hole a shot. Take the average dude that stands there in the fairway sweating over 8i or 9i is the right club... now you're taking that to the green and adding the same swirl to the flagstick. It's become a performance discussion.

I think this is fair. I've never thought that this is likely to speed play substantially, but there's no reason it HAS to slow down play. However, given the chance to do something poorly, at least a few people will do just that. I believe there's likely to be a shake-out time, after which most players will come to a decision fairly quickly. In the short term, there will be some indecision by some players, but I don't think that will last for very long. Just my guess, I have no data to support that.

I don't know why this rule was changed, don't know why the drop rule was adjusted, do not understand why the search time was cut in half, but it's just a flagstick. It's a simple, easy decision. I suspect, at the club level, it will simplify play when a group may have the nearest ball 25 feet away. Having the stick in helps me, because I'm old and my depth perception is not what it used to be. Whether it helps or does not, it's not a seismic shift in the world of golf.

snapback.pngbaudi, on 08 February 2019 - 02:43 PM, said:

OffTopic

This is certainly one potential approach, hit everything firm. But even at 4 to 5 feet, if there's a significant break there's no way to make it truly straight by hitting it harder. Assuming you want to keep a miss on the green, there's no way. I think you'd find that you'd still miss a significant percentage of these. Strokes gained stats for professions show 20% are missed at 5 feet, I imagine that for breaking putts that percentage is higher. With the speed you describe, a lot of these misses will turn into 3-putts. I think most people will find that they're best off by using their normal speed. We're just not that precise, and the green surfaces aren't that perfect that anyone can be certain of hitting the center of the flagstick

Interesting to read you have drawn a conclusion whereas I have to find mine yet.

Playing through the break is not new. The speed and the style will be. A 3 ft putt dying at the hole vs a 3ft putt (with the energy for 6ft )straight in. It is more complex.The choice is agony.

Professionals seldom face bad maintained greens. Still the memory of DJ's 3 putt on the last hole USOpen 2015 is fresh; the second putt is quite crucial. I face this situation 8 months per year. With wet spring and summers 10 months.

Also I regularly play a par 3 course. The greens are small have weird spots. Like dents and bumps. Quite different from greens on a standard. course. How about worn cupholders and a hanging flag over the lip away from the putt line ?

Finally what is the effect of grain? (not applicable to me )

ps

How about Scott Hoch's 2ft missed putt to win the Masters?

OffTopic

This is certainly one potential approach, hit everything firm. But even at 4 to 5 feet, if there's a significant break there's no way to make it truly straight by hitting it harder. Assuming you want to keep a miss on the green, there's no way. I think you'd find that you'd still miss a significant percentage of these. Strokes gained stats for professions show 20% are missed at 5 feet, I imagine that for breaking putts that percentage is higher. With the speed you describe, a lot of these misses will turn into 3-putts. I think most people will find that they're best off by using their normal speed. We're just not that precise, and the green surfaces aren't that perfect that anyone can be certain of hitting the center of the flagstick

Interesting to read you have drawn a conclusion whereas I have to find mine yet.

Playing through the break is not new. The speed and the style will be. A 3 ft putt dying at the hole vs a 3ft putt (with the energy for 6ft )straight in. It is more complex.The choice is agony.

Professionals seldom face bad maintained greens. Still the memory of DJ's 3 putt on the last hole USOpen 2015 is fresh; the second putt is quite crucial. I face this situation 8 months per year. With wet spring and summers 10 months.

Also I regularly play a par 3 course. The greens are small have weird spots. Like dents and bumps. Quite different from greens on a standard. course. How about worn cupholders and a hanging flag over the lip away from the putt line ?

ps

I don't think I've come to a conclusion, or at least not one that I won't continually evaluate as I gain experience, and read new information that will almost certainly continue to become available.

As for the difference between the greens we see, as opposed to the PGA Tour quality greens that the strokes gained stats are based on, I agree, we're much more likely to get a funny bounce. That mean, to me at least, that our control of where the ball enters the hole will be worse than the pro stats. We'll miss the hole more often, so attempts to jam it in to eliminate break will leave a increased percentage of miss-able comeback putts. I'm comfortable with the logic behind my expectations, but who knows, I might be proven wrong. And the permutations are endless, grain, imperfect conditions, wind-blown flags, different flagsticks, uphill, sidehill, there's no single answer.

OffTopic

ps

I don't think I've come to a conclusion, or at least not one that I won't continually evaluate as I gain experience, and read new information that will almost certainly continue to become available.

As for the difference between the greens we see, as opposed to the PGA Tour quality greens that the strokes gained stats are based on, I agree, we're much more likely to get a funny bounce. That mean, to me at least, that our control of where the ball enters the hole will be worse than the pro stats. We'll miss the hole more often, so attempts to jam it in to eliminate break will leave a increased percentage of miss-able comeback putts. I'm comfortable with the logic behind my expectations, but who knows, I might be proven wrong. And the permutations are endless, grain, imperfect conditions, wind-blown flags, different flagsticks, uphill, sidehill, there's no single answer.

My apologies I may have been a bit too direct in expressing myself.

I think we agree to the phenomena that finding out which method or technique works best, is the real situation at hand (which is one of the great virtues in this game). So in stead thinking 'stupid rule' the mantra 'out of clutter find simplicity; from discord find harmony; in the middle of difficulty lies opportunity' should offer a better start.

My apologies I may have been a bit too direct in expressing myself.

I think we agree to the phenomena that finding out which method or technique works best, is the real situation at hand (which is one of the great virtues in this game). So in stead thinking 'stupid rule' the mantra 'out of clutter find simplicity; from discord find harmony; in the middle of difficulty lies opportunity' should offer a better start.

No apologies necessary. I asked you to explain the basis for your opinion, and you did so very well, without trying to insult me or anyone else. We're all trying to muddle our way through a lifetime of golf, and changes to rules give us more things to think about. Reading and trying to understand differing viewpoints is a great way to work through my decisions.

I love the rule change. I dont know which way gives a ball more chance to go in, but i do know that its nice to be able to leave it in on a 50 footer rather than walk over there or wait for someone else to remove/tend it.

Until obvious proof is shown either way i will pull it on short/medium putts where i should have no problem controlling pace(about 30 feet), and do whatever i feel from 30+.

Callaway