Taylormade M5

Taylormade M2 2016

Cobra F9+

Taylormade M4

Ping G400 LST

Callaway Epic SZ

Cobra LTD Pro

Callaway Epic Flash SZ

Pick any of those that suits you and you'll be in business. You can add G400 max to the list too if you don't need ultra low spin.

Interesting....M4 is better than M6?

Slightly lower launch to loft which had some of our guys having a hard time keeping the launch down. Assuming this isn't an issue for you, the performance is on par assuming you can subtract loft. There are a lot of very good drivers. M3, rogue sz, the ts2, etc. I could keep making a list but these are the ones that stood out for one reason or another.

ic, so really only an issue for the really high speed guys playing the lowest lofted heads already?

If you are already playing the lowest loft and still hit it too high, then that's the issue. Obviously you can get a Tour head and tailor the exact loft and all that, but for most people, especially this early in the season, that's not easy to do or within their budget. I assumed the OP was going to go with a retail head of some sort. For the price though, you really are hard pressed to beat that 2016 M2.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2016 M2

Technically, ALL drivers have have the same COR on their faces and head sizes because of USGA and R&A restrictions BUT for some reason, I keep seeing the 2016 M2 still being talked about even after its discontinuation. I'm not saying it's the longest driver made in the last 5 years but it seems to be a little more consistently longer than the others (just a little).

The first gen M series was the first time Taylormade had really lived up to the hype they put out around it since the original RBZ. The M1 and M2 put out really solid numbers for most everyone that tried it, the composite top made it standout in a crowd, and I remember Jason Day putting it in his bag right away and absolutely smashing with it (he was also playing out of his mind at the time). There are also those rumors that float around here about the 8.5* heads being too hot but technically legal, which meant pros were bagging the M2 long past when they would normally switch. This combo of tour presence, excellent numbers, and bag appeal is what has driven it's current cult status. It also helps that Taylormade's current offerings seem to be more centered around marketing and gimmicks (face screws, really lol) than outright performance like the clean, no nonsense 2016 M2 provided.

That's true. The 8.5 loft 2016 M2 passed the CT but failed the air cannon test which the Tour did, after complaints were coming in from Taylormade's competitor about the driver heads being too hot. All lofts passed both EXCEPT the 8.5 heads which failed the air cannon test. That's why you now see two test numbers on Tour heads starting in 2017. The 2016 M2 head is and will always be legal for play in all competitions, but we will never see another head this hot since they now test both ways.

2016 M2

Technically, ALL drivers have have the same COR on their faces and head sizes because of USGA and R&A restrictions BUT for some reason, I keep seeing the 2016 M2 still being talked about even after its discontinuation. I'm not saying it's the longest driver made in the last 5 years but it seems to be a little more consistently longer than the others (just a little).

The first gen M series was the first time Taylormade had really lived up to the hype they put out around it since the original RBZ. The M1 and M2 put out really solid numbers for most everyone that tried it, the composite top made it standout in a crowd, and I remember Jason Day putting it in his bag right away and absolutely smashing with it (he was also playing out of his mind at the time). There are also those rumors that float around here about the 8.5* heads being too hot but technically legal, which meant pros were bagging the M2 long past when they would normally switch. This combo of tour presence, excellent numbers, and bag appeal is what has driven it's current cult status. It also helps that Taylormade's current offerings seem to be more centered around marketing and gimmicks (face screws, really lol) than outright performance like the clean, no nonsense 2016 M2 provided.

That's true. The 8.5 loft 2016 M2 passed the CT but failed the air cannon test which the Tour did, after complaints were coming in from Taylormade's competitor about the driver heads being too hot. All lofts passed both EXCEPT the 8.5 heads which failed the air cannon test. That's why you now see two test numbers on Tour heads starting in 2017. The 2016 M2 head is and will always be legal for play in all competitions, but we will never see another head this hot since they now test both ways.

So its like NASCAR..They cheated and got away with it since no one checked it or didn't have the rules set exactly since no one had created nothing like this... so it really wasn't cheating then..:) Reminds me of the Dawsonville gang back in the 80's #Bill and Ernie Elliott! Go #9

For me I think the 915 is quite underrated at least on these boards. If you can find a shaft combination that works for you its fantastic, sure it's not the longest or best sounding driver that Titleist has made but it's very reliable and for me has an excellent shape (D3). I might move into the TS3 this year but it'll take a lot to knock it out of my bag.

Taylormade Stealth + 10.5 (Mitsubishi Kai'li White 60S)

Titleist 913F 15 (Mitsubishi Diamana S+ 70)

Titleist 712U 2I (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist 680 MB 4-W (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist Vokey SM5 50,54,58 (True Temper Dynamic Gold S200)

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 SS

ProV1

There was only 1 non paid Titleist driver in play last week. You are correct.

To be honest, I don't think that's a useful metric in any way. All the guys who would want to play TS are already Titleist guys otherwise everyone else has their preferred or brand paid driver OR they're playing Tmag for the tee-up money. What is more impressive is Mizuno's ST190 being a brand that isn't known for woods and doesn't advertise and market their products to pros. When you have more than 1 pro put it in the bag when they aren't paid to for a company that doesn't have a rep for good woods it says something.

Taylormade M5

Taylormade M2 2016

Cobra F9+

Taylormade M4

Ping G400 LST

Callaway Epic SZ

Cobra LTD Pro

Callaway Epic Flash SZ

Pick any of those that suits you and you'll be in business. You can add G400 max to the list too if you don't need ultra low spin.

Interesting....M4 is better than M6?

Very comparable I chose the M4 because I was able to purchase it $190 less than the M6. First though hitting the M6 was WOW my misses were 5 yards offline and thought it would be hard to beat. Tested the M4 to see if there was really a significant difference.

Almost identical distance and just a little further misses maybe a few yards but still fairway finders I think M4 is the winner unless you are someone that needs the newest toy.

I don't know if the SLDR qualifies as a driver released in the last 5 years but man that thing changed the driver game. It was the first one to truly bring the spin way down, all the drivers that followed started doing the same thing. Closest thing to that for me had been the 2016 M1, that thing was also a spin killer.

2016 M2

So its like NASCAR..They cheated and got away with it since no one checked it or didn't have the rules set exactly since no one had created nothing like this... so it really wasn't cheating then.. :) Reminds me of the Dawsonville gang back in the 80's #Bill and Ernie Elliott! Go #9

Wait....

You watch NASCAR? :fie:

The G400 Max is the best fairway finder I think I've ever hit. Been in play for 8 rounds and I've missed 3 fairway's with it and those were just horrible swings or trying to reach places I shouldn't try to reach in winter weather.

G430 Max 10K

HiBore 2w “Unicorn”

G410 3w & 3h

ZX7 MKII 4-A

Glide 4.0 54 & 58

Jailbird 380

To be honest, I don't think that's a useful metric in any way. All the guys who would want to play TS are already Titleist guys otherwise everyone else has their preferred or brand paid driver OR they're playing Tmag for the tee-up money. What is more impressive is Mizuno's ST190 being a brand that isn't known for woods and doesn't advertise and market their products to pros. When you have more than 1 pro put it in the bag when they aren't paid to for a company that doesn't have a rep for good woods it says something.

Taylormade does not pay tee up money. Everyone else still does though. For the record Taylormade had 68% of all the non contracted drivers in play last week. When players are not paid you can count on 4 things. They will play Taylormade drivers, Mitsubishi shafts, Mizuno irons and Scotty putters at an overwealming percentage.

Was the M2 2016 a low spin head or how was it so popular?

Here is a thread with launch data at varying swings speeds. Check out the WRX club techs area. It's the best forum subsection on this site.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1718984-taylormade-tour-issue-2016-2018-m-series-driverstrackman-comparison-data/

Taylormade does not pay tee up money. Everyone else still does though. For the record Taylormade had 68% of all the non contracted drivers in play last week. When players are not paid you can count on 4 things. They will play Taylormade drivers, Mitsubishi shafts, Mizuno irons and Scotty putters at an overwealming percentage.

Tollbros-

I can somewhat understand the other categories you mentioned as being preferred by non-contracted players. However, with drivers I get a bit lost. With so much focus OEM’s place on drivers and the imposed spec limitations it seems as if this category is pretty much an even playing field (atleast that is what “YouTube” numbers have shown). What do you think separates TM drivers for the pros?

Tollbros-

I can somewhat understand the other categories you mentioned as being preferred by non-contracted players. However, with drivers I get a bit lost. With so much focus OEM's place on drivers and the imposed spec limitations it seems as if this category is pretty much an even playing field (atleast that is what "YouTube" numbers have shown). What do you think separates TM drivers for the pros?

To a degree players tend to stay with what they are most comfortable with, however the very low spin rates and anti hook CG's really tend to suit better players, especially high speed players. For the masses swinging 80-95mph, you would be hard pressed to beat the Ping G400 Max for the best driver for those guys. Things change when you get higher speeds except for the select few players who are just massively low spin because of path like Justin Thomas or Adam Scott for example. Most of the Callaway heads are damn close in ball speed if not the equal to the Taylormade heads, but they are significantly more draw biased than the Taylormade heads. I suppose it's just the low spin, acceptable launch, and neutral to fade bias that makes the Tour gravitate to them. That and seeing guys like DJ, Tiger, Rory, Day and Rahm playing them and contending weekly certainly has to have some influence as well.

I think the '16 M2 as well. This is coming from a Cobra guy. I think when the dust settles (and its starting to) the M2 will be looked at as the best driver of the decade. Looks, performance, forgiveness, versatility, popular appeal, cool factor, etc. And now, you can actually afford them!

Taylormade Sim 2 9.0 Project X Hzrdus Blue 60G | Mizuno JPX 919 Forged on KBS T120 | Cobra FlyZ 3W | Cobra FlyZ 5h | Bettinardi Studio Stock 2 Olympic Bronze | Vice Pro |

All the love for the 2016 M2 head... when I got fitted the M1 was the better fit for me. Picked up a good 25 yards total over my previous driver. Went through several shaft options and results ranged from absolutely horrible to amazing. Haven't been able to find anything that is better for me.

That said, the shaft is the most important part of a driver working for you. Great head with bad shaft = bad result. Decent or good head with great fitting shaft = good to great results. Great head + great fitting shaft = best results.

Hail Southern and no place else!!  

2016 M2 or 2017 M1 440

I can't hit anything as far and straight as I have these drivers. The 2016 M2 is more forgiving, but it just makes my misses go that much further in a bad direction. If I catch the M1 440 on a bad part of the face, the ball seems to be getting down a lot quick and leaving me with some better options. When I catch it on the (imaginary) screws, the M1 is the longest driver I've played.

Wow, my sentiments exactly on the M2 vs. M1440. M1 440 misses seemed to be more manageable only because they don't go nearly as far as a bad M2 miss. It's almost as if the forgiveness of the M2 gets you in trouble just by virtue of how far a mishit can travel.

Ultimately though, my M1440 experiment ended and I went back to the M2 just because it is a good 20-30 yards longer on the purest strike. The 16 M2 just has another gear that I haven't found in any other driver and that is why it is currently the GOAT for me.

How is the M4 working for you in comparison?

For whatever reason, I just didn't hit my TS3 all that great. I hit my 917D3 farther which was strange. I went back to my tour issue 2016 M2 yesterday at the range and fell in love all over again. The sound/feel off that head with hot melt is perfect. I was hitting it really high but I think that has more to do with my positive angle of attack than anything.

I also have an F9 inbound that I got at a price I couldn't say no to so there will be a nice shootout soon.

TSR3 TSi3 3 Wood | 915H 18 |  T150 4-PW Vokey SM9  50, 54, 58 |  Ping PLD Anser 2D