Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Best Driver in the last 5 years?

135
5

Comments

  • TollBrosTollBros Overseer of the Test Range  4859Sponsors Posts: 4,859
    Joined:  #62
    Storms wrote:

    cgasucks wrote:



    2016 M2




    Technically, ALL drivers have have the same COR on their faces and head sizes because of USGA and R&A restrictions BUT for some reason, I keep seeing the 2016 M2 still being talked about even after its discontinuation. I'm not saying it's the longest driver made in the last 5 years but it seems to be a little more consistently longer than the others (just a little).




    The first gen M series was the first time Taylormade had really lived up to the hype they put out around it since the original RBZ. The M1 and M2 put out really solid numbers for most everyone that tried it, the composite top made it standout in a crowd, and I remember Jason Day putting it in his bag right away and absolutely smashing with it (he was also playing out of his mind at the time). There are also those rumors that float around here about the 8.5* heads being too hot but technically legal, which meant pros were bagging the M2 long past when they would normally switch. This combo of tour presence, excellent numbers, and bag appeal is what has driven it's current cult status. It also helps that Taylormade's current offerings seem to be more centered around marketing and gimmicks (face screws, really lol) than outright performance like the clean, no nonsense 2016 M2 provided.




    That's true. The 8.5 loft 2016 M2 passed the CT but failed the air cannon test which the Tour did, after complaints were coming in from Taylormade's competitor about the driver heads being too hot. All lofts passed both EXCEPT the 8.5 heads which failed the air cannon test. That's why you now see two test numbers on Tour heads starting in 2017. The 2016 M2 head is and will always be legal for play in all competitions, but we will never see another head this hot since they now test both ways.
    Posted:
    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/forum/608-greengrassevaluationscom/

    Please click the link above for our Sponsor area with rare and Tour only products.
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • 3woodvt3woodvt 5 test drives for clubface contact. #footpowder  1628Members Posts: 1,628
    Joined:  edited Feb 7, 2019 5:31am #63
    TollBros wrote:

    Storms wrote:

    cgasucks wrote:



    2016 M2




    Technically, ALL drivers have have the same COR on their faces and head sizes because of USGA and R&A restrictions BUT for some reason, I keep seeing the 2016 M2 still being talked about even after its discontinuation. I'm not saying it's the longest driver made in the last 5 years but it seems to be a little more consistently longer than the others (just a little).




    The first gen M series was the first time Taylormade had really lived up to the hype they put out around it since the original RBZ. The M1 and M2 put out really solid numbers for most everyone that tried it, the composite top made it standout in a crowd, and I remember Jason Day putting it in his bag right away and absolutely smashing with it (he was also playing out of his mind at the time). There are also those rumors that float around here about the 8.5* heads being too hot but technically legal, which meant pros were bagging the M2 long past when they would normally switch. This combo of tour presence, excellent numbers, and bag appeal is what has driven it's current cult status. It also helps that Taylormade's current offerings seem to be more centered around marketing and gimmicks (face screws, really lol) than outright performance like the clean, no nonsense 2016 M2 provided.




    That's true. The 8.5 loft 2016 M2 passed the CT but failed the air cannon test which the Tour did, after complaints were coming in from Taylormade's competitor about the driver heads being too hot. All lofts passed both EXCEPT the 8.5 heads which failed the air cannon test. That's why you now see two test numbers on Tour heads starting in 2017. The 2016 M2 head is and will always be legal for play in all competitions, but we will never see another head this hot since they now test both ways.
    So its like NASCAR..They cheated and got away with it since no one checked it or didn't have the rules set exactly since no one had created nothing like this... so it really wasn't cheating then..image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> Reminds me of the Dawsonville gang back in the 80's #Bill and Ernie Elliott! Go #9
    Posted:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Cobra F9 8.0 Atmos TS Black7x
    Cobra F8+ 13.5 Aldila7x
    Adams A12 19* VTS Proforce 100hs
    Srixon Z945 4-PW KBS Tour 120s
    Cleveland 2.0 51**,55**,59*
    Ping Zing TR
    Srixon Z
  • KrazyTrain18KrazyTrain18  3236Members Posts: 3,236
    Joined:  #64
    For me I think the 915 is quite underrated at least on these boards. If you can find a shaft combination that works for you its fantastic, sure it's not the longest or best sounding driver that Titleist has made but it's very reliable and for me has an excellent shape (D3). I might move into the TS3 this year but it'll take a lot to knock it out of my bag.
    Posted:
    915D3 9.5 (GD-DI 6S Black Edition)
    910F 15 (Diamana Kai'li 75S)
    712U 2I (DG S300)
    714 AP2 4-W (DG S300)
    SM6 (50-54-58) (DG S200)
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 (Studio Select)
    TP5
  • rt_chargerrt_charger Ball Hitter  227Members Posts: 227
    Joined:  #65
    TollBros wrote:


    There was only 1 non paid Titleist driver in play last week. You are correct.


    To be honest, I don't think that's a useful metric in any way. All the guys who would want to play TS are already Titleist guys otherwise everyone else has their preferred or brand paid driver OR they're playing Tmag for the tee-up money. What is more impressive is Mizuno's ST190 being a brand that isn't known for woods and doesn't advertise and market their products to pros. When you have more than 1 pro put it in the bag when they aren't paid to for a company that doesn't have a rep for good woods it says something.
    Posted:
    "Golf is a game that is played on a five-inch course - the distance between your ears." - Bobby Jones
  • Eli69Eli69  2Members Posts: 2
    Joined:  #66
    Epic Sub Zero highest ball speed longest ever for me
    Posted:
  • tcatone5tcatone5  20Members Posts: 20
    Joined:  #67
    Krt22 wrote:

    TollBros wrote:


    Taylormade M5

    Taylormade M2 2016

    Cobra F9+

    Taylormade M4

    Ping G400 LST

    Callaway Epic SZ

    Cobra LTD Pro

    Callaway Epic Flash SZ



    Pick any of those that suits you and you'll be in business. You can add G400 max to the list too if you don't need ultra low spin.




    Interesting....M4 is better than M6?




    Very comparable I chose the M4 because I was able to purchase it $190 less than the M6. First though hitting the M6 was WOW my misses were 5 yards offline and thought it would be hard to beat. Tested the M4 to see if there was really a significant difference.



    Almost identical distance and just a little further misses maybe a few yards but still fairway finders I think M4 is the winner unless you are someone that needs the newest toy.
    Posted:
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Driver: Taylormade M4 D Type 9.5[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Hybrid: Titleist 816 H2[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Irons: Ping I500 Black Dot[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Wedges: Titliest SM6 48, 52, 56 Callaway MD3 60[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Putter: Bettinardi Queen B #8[/font]
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • Boogs2Boogs2 Turbulence is caused by air fish  8484Members Posts: 8,484
    Joined:  #68
    Cobra Ltd. Pro (dont know if it falls within 5 years, but I loved this driver)
    Posted:
  • jjgsgolfjjgsgolf  166ClubWRX Posts: 166
    Joined:  #69
    I don't know if the SLDR qualifies as a driver released in the last 5 years but man that thing changed the driver game. It was the first one to truly bring the spin way down, all the drivers that followed started doing the same thing. Closest thing to that for me had been the 2016 M1, that thing was also a spin killer.
    Posted:
  • MCAMCA  29Members Posts: 29
    Joined:  #70
    No doubt! 2016 M2
    Posted:
  • flushemflushem  1859Members Posts: 1,859
    Joined:  #71
    I weigh more on forgiveness and tighter dispersion than distance.



    1 Honma TW737 455

    2 Ping G400 Max

    3 Mizuno JPX900
    Posted:
  • LONGBALL777LONGBALL777  130Members Posts: 130
    Joined:  #72
    Callaway Big Bertha Fusion for me also. Playing the heavy version. Knocked the 2016 M1 out of the bag.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • Ripken08Ripken08  4306Members Posts: 4,306 BST Banned
    Joined:  #73
    3woodvt wrote:

    TollBros wrote:

    Storms wrote:

    cgasucks wrote:



    2016 M2




    Technically, ALL drivers have have the same COR on their faces and head sizes because of USGA and R&A restrictions BUT for some reason, I keep seeing the 2016 M2 still being talked about even after its discontinuation. I'm not saying it's the longest driver made in the last 5 years but it seems to be a little more consistently longer than the others (just a little).




    The first gen M series was the first time Taylormade had really lived up to the hype they put out around it since the original RBZ. The M1 and M2 put out really solid numbers for most everyone that tried it, the composite top made it standout in a crowd, and I remember Jason Day putting it in his bag right away and absolutely smashing with it (he was also playing out of his mind at the time). There are also those rumors that float around here about the 8.5* heads being too hot but technically legal, which meant pros were bagging the M2 long past when they would normally switch. This combo of tour presence, excellent numbers, and bag appeal is what has driven it's current cult status. It also helps that Taylormade's current offerings seem to be more centered around marketing and gimmicks (face screws, really lol) than outright performance like the clean, no nonsense 2016 M2 provided.




    That's true. The 8.5 loft 2016 M2 passed the CT but failed the air cannon test which the Tour did, after complaints were coming in from Taylormade's competitor about the driver heads being too hot. All lofts passed both EXCEPT the 8.5 heads which failed the air cannon test. That's why you now see two test numbers on Tour heads starting in 2017. The 2016 M2 head is and will always be legal for play in all competitions, but we will never see another head this hot since they now test both ways.
    So its like NASCAR..They cheated and got away with it since no one checked it or didn't have the rules set exactly since no one had created nothing like this... so it really wasn't cheating then.. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> Reminds me of the Dawsonville gang back in the 80's #Bill and Ernie Elliott! Go #9




    Wait....



    You watch NASCAR? image/fie.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':fie:' />
    Posted:
  • longofftheteeslongoffthetees Georgia 969Members Posts: 969
    Joined:  #74
    The G400 Max is the best fairway finder I think I've ever hit. Been in play for 8 rounds and I've missed 3 fairway's with it and those were just horrible swings or trying to reach places I shouldn't try to reach in winter weather.
    Posted:
    Callaway Epic Flash Subzero 10.5* w/ TP6HDe 
    Cleveland Hi-Bore 12* "The Unicorn”
    Callaway Rouge Subzero 3w w/ HC PX 
    Callaway Apex CF19 3-AW w/ PX 
    Callaway MD4 Tactical 54S, 60X
    TaylorMade Spider X Copper SN
    ’19 Pro V1x or TP5x
  • bkloessbkloess St. Louis, MO 75Members Posts: 75
    Joined:  #75
    I'm a Ping loyalist, so I will say Ping G400 LST. But I've hit a lot of buddies drivers, the M2 was **** good.
    Posted:
    Ping G400 LST 9.5 w/ Rogue 125 TX
    Ping G30 13 w/ Tour AD-DI 8x
    Ping S55 (3-P) w/ Tour Issue DG x100 +.5
    Ping Tour Gorge 52/56/60 w/ DG TI S400
    Scotty 009/ Scotty FB+ Circle T
    Titleist Pro V1x
  • Sparky29Sparky29  6Members Posts: 6
    Joined:  #76
    2016 M2 and G400 LST.
    Posted:
  • TilikumTilikum  183Members Posts: 183
    Joined:  #77
    Was the M2 2016 a low spin head or how was it so popular?
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • raurnessraurness Bucket Hat Bob  49Members Posts: 49
    Joined:  #78
    Bio Cell Plus if you can stand the sound or you also play softball. LTD if you are everyone else.
    Posted:
  • TollBrosTollBros Overseer of the Test Range  4859Sponsors Posts: 4,859
    Joined:  #79
    rt_charger wrote:

    TollBros wrote:


    There was only 1 non paid Titleist driver in play last week. You are correct.


    To be honest, I don't think that's a useful metric in any way. All the guys who would want to play TS are already Titleist guys otherwise everyone else has their preferred or brand paid driver OR they're playing Tmag for the tee-up money. What is more impressive is Mizuno's ST190 being a brand that isn't known for woods and doesn't advertise and market their products to pros. When you have more than 1 pro put it in the bag when they aren't paid to for a company that doesn't have a rep for good woods it says something.




    Taylormade does not pay tee up money. Everyone else still does though. For the record Taylormade had 68% of all the non contracted drivers in play last week. When players are not paid you can count on 4 things. They will play Taylormade drivers, Mitsubishi shafts, Mizuno irons and Scotty putters at an overwealming percentage.
    Posted:
    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/forum/608-greengrassevaluationscom/

    Please click the link above for our Sponsor area with rare and Tour only products.
  • TollBrosTollBros Overseer of the Test Range  4859Sponsors Posts: 4,859
    Joined:  #80
    Tilikum wrote:


    Was the M2 2016 a low spin head or how was it so popular?




    Here is a thread with launch data at varying swings speeds. Check out the WRX club techs area. It's the best forum subsection on this site.



    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1718984-taylormade-tour-issue-2016-2018-m-series-driverstrackman-comparison-data/
    Posted:
    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/forum/608-greengrassevaluationscom/

    Please click the link above for our Sponsor area with rare and Tour only products.
  • Trying4BetterTrying4Better  157Members Posts: 157
    Joined:  #81
    TollBros wrote:

    Tilikum wrote:


    Was the M2 2016 a low spin head or how was it so popular?




    Here is a thread with launch data at varying swings speeds. Check out the WRX club techs area. It's the best forum subsection on this site.



    http://www.golfwrx.c...omparison-data/




    Hey JT can you answer my pm and/or email? Thanks.
    Posted:
  • ProjectX_MizunoProjectX_Mizuno  1798Members Posts: 1,798
    Joined:  #82
    TollBros wrote:

    rt_charger wrote:

    TollBros wrote:


    There was only 1 non paid Titleist driver in play last week. You are correct.


    To be honest, I don't think that's a useful metric in any way. All the guys who would want to play TS are already Titleist guys otherwise everyone else has their preferred or brand paid driver OR they're playing Tmag for the tee-up money. What is more impressive is Mizuno's ST190 being a brand that isn't known for woods and doesn't advertise and market their products to pros. When you have more than 1 pro put it in the bag when they aren't paid to for a company that doesn't have a rep for good woods it says something.




    Taylormade does not pay tee up money. Everyone else still does though. For the record Taylormade had 68% of all the non contracted drivers in play last week. When players are not paid you can count on 4 things. They will play Taylormade drivers, Mitsubishi shafts, Mizuno irons and Scotty putters at an overwealming percentage.




    Tollbros-



    I can somewhat understand the other categories you mentioned as being preferred by non-contracted players. However, with drivers I get a bit lost. With so much focus OEM’s place on drivers and the imposed spec limitations it seems as if this category is pretty much an even playing field (atleast that is what “YouTube” numbers have shown). What do you think separates TM drivers for the pros?
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • TollBrosTollBros Overseer of the Test Range  4859Sponsors Posts: 4,859
    Joined:  #83

    TollBros wrote:

    rt_charger wrote:

    TollBros wrote:


    There was only 1 non paid Titleist driver in play last week. You are correct.


    To be honest, I don't think that's a useful metric in any way. All the guys who would want to play TS are already Titleist guys otherwise everyone else has their preferred or brand paid driver OR they're playing Tmag for the tee-up money. What is more impressive is Mizuno's ST190 being a brand that isn't known for woods and doesn't advertise and market their products to pros. When you have more than 1 pro put it in the bag when they aren't paid to for a company that doesn't have a rep for good woods it says something.




    Taylormade does not pay tee up money. Everyone else still does though. For the record Taylormade had 68% of all the non contracted drivers in play last week. When players are not paid you can count on 4 things. They will play Taylormade drivers, Mitsubishi shafts, Mizuno irons and Scotty putters at an overwealming percentage.




    Tollbros-



    I can somewhat understand the other categories you mentioned as being preferred by non-contracted players. However, with drivers I get a bit lost. With so much focus OEM's place on drivers and the imposed spec limitations it seems as if this category is pretty much an even playing field (atleast that is what "YouTube" numbers have shown). What do you think separates TM drivers for the pros?




    To a degree players tend to stay with what they are most comfortable with, however the very low spin rates and anti hook CG's really tend to suit better players, especially high speed players. For the masses swinging 80-95mph, you would be hard pressed to beat the Ping G400 Max for the best driver for those guys. Things change when you get higher speeds except for the select few players who are just massively low spin because of path like Justin Thomas or Adam Scott for example. Most of the Callaway heads are **** close in ball speed if not the equal to the Taylormade heads, but they are significantly more draw biased than the Taylormade heads. I suppose it's just the low spin, acceptable launch, and neutral to fade bias that makes the Tour gravitate to them. That and seeing guys like DJ, Tiger, Rory, Day and Rahm playing them and contending weekly certainly has to have some influence as well.
    Posted:
    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/forum/608-greengrassevaluationscom/

    Please click the link above for our Sponsor area with rare and Tour only products.
  • Shawn PaulShawn Paul The love you take is equal to the love you make  703Members Posts: 703
    Joined:  #84
    I think the '16 M2 as well. This is coming from a Cobra guy. I think when the dust settles (and its starting to) the M2 will be looked at as the best driver of the decade. Looks, performance, forgiveness, versatility, popular appeal, cool factor, etc. And now, you can actually afford them!
    Posted:
    Mizuno JPX900F on KBS Tour120S
    Cobra F8+ w/ HZRDS XS
    Cobra Fly-Z 3W
    Cobra Fly Z HB 3-4
    Bettinardi Studio Stock II
    Bettinardi 52/56/60 UnRusted but Trusted
  • GolfiNutGolfiNut GolfiNut  244Members Posts: 244
    Joined:  #85
    The Rogue for me...I had the Epic prior and it was long but the Rogue is longer and straighter. I have the draw version and rarely miss a FW and my buds jaw drop when I hit it in the teeth between those bars.
    Posted:
  • ga_pikega_pike  492Members Posts: 492
    Joined:  #86
    All the love for the 2016 M2 head... when I got fitted the M1 was the better fit for me. Picked up a good 25 yards total over my previous driver. Went through several shaft options and results ranged from absolutely horrible to amazing. Haven't been able to find anything that is better for me.



    That said, the shaft is the most important part of a driver working for you. Great head with bad shaft = bad result. Decent or good head with great fitting shaft = good to great results. Great head + great fitting shaft = best results.
    Posted:
    TM 2017 M1 w DI-6S
    Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 5 wood
    Callaway Rogue X 3H
    Callaway Rogue X 5H
    Callaway XR Pro 6-AW
    Ping Glide 2.0 54 & 58
    Big Oak Havana Custom or Slighter Custom

    HDCP 10
  • mmack067mmack067 Ottawa 727Members Posts: 727
    Joined:  #87
    RonSwanson wrote:


    '16 M2, G400 LST/Max




    This is still the correct answer
    Posted:
    Ping G400 LST - Copperhead 70TX
    Titleist TS2 15* - Whiteboard 70X
    Titleist 910H 17˚ -  Project X 7.0
    Srixon Z785 4i, Miura MC-501 5-PW - X100
    Vokey SM7 50F, 54S
    TM Milled Grind 58 SB
    Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless NP2

    Twitter-icon.png  lDLcKyO.png?1  


  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • fullonfadefullonfade  8Members Posts: 8
    Joined:  #88
    Anything in the G400 family.
    Posted:
  • manima1manima1 Chicago 730Members Posts: 730
    Joined:  #89
    Pwood28 wrote:


    2016 M2 or 2017 M1 440



    I can't hit anything as far and straight as I have these drivers. The 2016 M2 is more forgiving, but it just makes my misses go that much further in a bad direction. If I catch the M1 440 on a bad part of the face, the ball seems to be getting down a lot quick and leaving me with some better options. When I catch it on the (imaginary) screws, the M1 is the longest driver I've played.




    Wow, my sentiments exactly on the M2 vs. M1440. M1 440 misses seemed to be more manageable only because they don't go nearly as far as a bad M2 miss. It's almost as if the forgiveness of the M2 gets you in trouble just by virtue of how far a mishit can travel.



    Ultimately though, my M1440 experiment ended and I went back to the M2 just because it is a good 20-30 yards longer on the purest strike. The 16 M2 just has another gear that I haven't found in any other driver and that is why it is currently the GOAT for me.



    How is the M4 working for you in comparison?
    Posted:
    M5 9.0 - Kuro Kage Dual Core 80tx 
    '16 M2HL 16.8 tour issued deep faced - Fujikura 8.3 TS
    zU45 18 degree - S400
    z745 4-9 - S400
    SM6 46.08F - S400 Chrome
    SM6 50.08F - S400 Steel Gray
    SM7 54.10S - S400 Raw
    TM Hi-Toe 60.12ATV - S400 Black
    TM Spider X - Navy
  • JStangJStang  2577Members Posts: 2,577
    Joined:  edited Feb 8, 2019 2:51pm #90
    For whatever reason, I just didn't hit my TS3 all that great. I hit my 917D3 farther which was strange. I went back to my tour issue 2016 M2 yesterday at the range and fell in love all over again. The sound/feel off that head with hot melt is perfect. I was hitting it really high but I think that has more to do with my positive angle of attack than anything.



    I also have an F9 inbound that I got at a price I couldn't say no to so there will be a nice shootout soon.
    Posted:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    '16 M2 Rogue Fairway | 915H 2 & 3 | 718 AP2 | Vokey SM6 52, 58 | Scotty SS Newport 2 350
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • handyquacks17handyquacks17 Massachusetts 83Members Posts: 83
    Joined:  #91
    915 d2/3/4 are true fairway finders and the d2 will be in my bag for a while. can work it both ways and hit a nice straight ball. Im sure i could find a new head/shaft combo that may give me better numbers, but id rather have the consistent feel and accuracy
    Posted:
5

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file