Spieth back to old Driver

Jeffyr11

I just think Speith had a great year and a half where he couldn't miss putts. He peaked very early, still has some wins in him... But nothing like what he was in 2015. He doesn't dominate the game in any category anymore. As soon as his putter cooled down, so did he.

Exactly. Speith is super streaky with the putter and as a result will be a guy that wins a tourney here and there and maybe a major. His swing is not good enough to win a big tourney with a mediocre putter and that's just a fact.

For a guy who's went 26-4-23-2-23 strokes gained tee to green In His career I'd say his swing is plenty good to win

Yeah but facts are lazy ;). his situational play has cost him in the last 12-16 months. hes had plenty of opportunities and didnt pull victories out. He'll grow from that. Guy has the heart of a lion. Could have mailed it in on sunday after starting bad (+3) but grinded back to even. hes on the cusp in my opinion

True you know as well as I do how anyone at that caliber it’s not a golf swing issue 99% off the time , it’s upstairs

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just think Speith had a great year and a half where he couldn't miss putts. He peaked very early, still has some wins in him... But nothing like what he was in 2015. He doesn't dominate the game in any category anymore. As soon as his putter cooled down, so did he.

Exactly. Speith is super streaky with the putter and as a result will be a guy that wins a tourney here and there and maybe a major. His swing is not good enough to win a big tourney with a mediocre putter and that's just a fact.

For a guy who's went 26-4-23-2-23 strokes gained tee to green In His career I'd say his swing is plenty good to win

Yeah but facts are lazy ;). his situational play has cost him in the last 12-16 months. hes had plenty of opportunities and didnt pull victories out. He'll grow from that. Guy has the heart of a lion. Could have mailed it in on sunday after starting bad (+3) but grinded back to even. hes on the cusp in my opinion

True you know as well as I do how anyone at that caliber it's not a golf swing issue 99% off the time , it's upstairs

Exactly. The difference in mental edge at that level is insanely tiny. One upswing/ uptick in that and you have a guy who wins 4-5 times a year, one small blip and a winless season happens.Spieth is still learning and dealing with expectations and it doesnt seem like hes the type to shy away and make statements like rory did about being content and what not. Look at justin rose. it took until he was what 31-32-33 to figure out how to be elite and to stay there.Extremely driven elite ball striker who improved the other aspects of his game so much that he became #1 in the world. I will worry about Spieth when hes not factor in majors.He almost won 2 last year without his best stuff. that tells me alot about his heart, resilience and talent.hes battling 3-4 bad holes a tourney now that he never did before. hes bright enough to figure out how to eliminate those.

When is he next due to tee it up? Figure as a past winner at Pebble that he will be there.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

Thought that it was interesting to see Jordan Speith went back to his old driver to start the year.

I thought he took the TS2 out last year after one tournament because it wasn't skinny enough http://www.golfwrx.c...ieth-2018-witb/

Just hard to believe with how much hype has been given towards the new Titleist drivers and they can't get him to stick with it.

He'll get into it in the next few months. Spieth is a little slow to change into the new equipment. Either way, Titleist won this week's driver count, ball count, and iron count. They've gotta be really happy no matter what driver Spieth is playing.

They write 100,000 checks for each. When you spend a fortune you win... I guess???

Geico spends 1 Bill a year on advertising

When is he next due to tee it up? Figure as a past winner at Pebble that he will be there.

If he's not playing Pebble then I'd have to imagine he's playing Riviera. Traditionally he hasn't played much of Florida so unless that changes he would have a lean lead up to Augusta.

Taylormade Stealth + 10.5 (Mitsubishi Kai'li White 60S)

Titleist 913F 15 (Mitsubishi Diamana S+ 70)

Titleist 712U 2I (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist 680 MB 4-W (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist Vokey SM5 50,54,58 (True Temper Dynamic Gold S200)

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 SS

ProV1

If he's not playing Pebble then I'd have to imagine he's playing Riviera. Traditionally he hasn't played much of Florida so unless that changes he would have a lean lead up to Augusta.

He's teeing it up. That he is playing might be enough for me to bring myself to watch it even though for every Spieth shot, there will be 10 from Bill Murray to have to suffer through.

Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

How many strokes off do they give now for pretty swings ??

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Thought that it was interesting to see Jordan Speith went back to his old driver to start the year.

I thought he took the TS2 out last year after one tournament because it wasn't skinny enough http://www.golfwrx.c...ieth-2018-witb/

Just hard to believe with how much hype has been given towards the new Titleist drivers and they can't get him to stick with it.

He'll get into it in the next few months. Spieth is a little slow to change into the new equipment. Either way, Titleist won this week's driver count, ball count, and iron count. They've gotta be really happy no matter what driver Spieth is playing.

They write 100,000 checks for each. When you spend a fortune you win... I guess???

Geico spends 1 Bill a year on advertising

Exactly. The equipment surveys mean nothing until they normalize the data for dollars spent. Of course that will never happen because the manufacturers will never disclose how much cash they are spending on pay to play contracts.

I fear Spieth is lost mentally, he's thrashing to place blame on something but the reality could be that those first few years he over achieved and now he's lost his edge. Haney called it at least 2 years ago, and while I'm no fan of Hank's I'm impressed that he went against the masses and said Spieth wasn't as good as his performance had indicated. He felt Spieth was winning due to his putting making up for other weak parts of his game and the level of his putting wasn't sustainable. He was right, Spieth lost his touch with his putter and he's struggled to find wins.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

I fear Spieth is lost mentally, he's thrashing to place blame on something but the reality could be that those first few years he over achieved and now he's lost his edge. Haney called it at least 2 years ago, and while I'm no fan of Hank's I'm impressed that he went against the masses and said Spieth wasn't as good as his performance had indicated. He felt Spieth was winning due to his putting making up for other weak parts of his game and the level of his putting wasn't sustainable. He was right, Spieth lost his touch with his putter and he's struggled to find wins.

Danny Choo might be right. :taunt:

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

Danny Choo is that you?

Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

Danny Choo might be right. :taunt:

Not sure who Danny Choo is, I'm just sharing what Hank said about 2 years ago. I didn't agree with him at the time, but so far he's been pretty accurate.

Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

This thread is funny. He didn't " go back " to the 915. He never left it. He used the TS something for 3 rounds. And drove it poorly even for his standards. There's no switch back. It was a test that failed.

I play the same 915. Its hard to fathom a better set up. If its not broke................

Titleist 915 D2 60gX Rogue Silver
Titleist 906F2 13* ProForce V2 90gX
Titleist 690mb 2-P 6.0PX
Titleist Vokey 52* and 58*
SeeMore FPG Putter

Going to be fun calling Haney out when this slump clears.

His putting wasn’t the only stat he was best or near best at. His iron play was superb until this slump. His sand saves , birdie percentage etc top notch until this slump. To act as if the putting was just propping up a bad game is just not so. Just go look at the stats for yourself.

This slump has a few root causes. And when they come to light it’s going to make sense. He is trending upward wait and see.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

His putting wasn't the only stat he was best or near best at. His iron play was superb until this slump. His sand saves , birdie percentage etc top notch until this slump. To act as if the putting was just propping up a bad game is just not so. Just go look at the stats for yourself.

This slump has a few root causes. And when they come to light it's going to make sense. He is trending upward wait and see.

I hate to be in the position to defend Haney, but I'm not sure Haney is discredited if Spieth fixes his game and gets back to his old form. Hank still called for the slump when everyone thought he was unstoppable. Hank singled out his putting because it was so far beyond the rest of the Tour, he didn't think it was sustainable.

Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

His putting wasn't the only stat he was best or near best at. His iron play was superb until this slump. His sand saves , birdie percentage etc top notch until this slump. To act as if the putting was just propping up a bad game is just not so. Just go look at the stats for yourself.

This slump has a few root causes. And when they come to light it's going to make sense. He is trending upward wait and see.

I hate to be in the position to defend Haney, but I'm not sure Haney is discredited if Spieth fixes his game and gets back to his old form. Hank still called for the slump when everyone thought he was unstoppable. Hank singled out his putting because it was so far beyond the rest of the Tour, he didn't think it was sustainable.

I’m not sure calling for the possibility of a slump for a tour pro who was on top of mt Everest qualifies Haney as smarter than a 5th grader. You could say the same about any pro playing. The game is made of ups and downs. He’s not doing anything except selling whatever snake oil that is on the commercials for his show.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I will also say this Haney likes to hear himself talk. He is nuts if he thinks Spieth has the yips.

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

Y'all can hate on Haney all you want. I love his show. His recent assault on the USGA has been pretty fun, actually.

oh yeah, Spieth is tied for the lead

Just give him a popsicle and all will be well. I’ll be shocked if after Jordan wins again if he doesn’t go on radio and give himself credit for his “ tough loving” Jordan through this. The guy is a carnival barker. Nothing more.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Y'all can hate on Haney all you want. I love his show. His recent assault on the USGA has been pretty fun, actually.

oh yeah, Spieth is tied for the lead

Just give him a popsicle and all will be well. I'll be shocked if after Jordan wins again if he doesn't go on radio and give himself credit for his " tough loving" Jordan through this. The guy is a carnival barker. Nothing more.

liked for working "carnival barker" into the conversation. well done!

For what it is worth, the TS3 was in the bag yesterday and today...looks like it is working well enough thus far.

Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

He might need to go a draw based driver or set up!

Callaway Epic Max 10.5 Mitsubishi AVBlue 65 S
Callaway Paradigm HL 3 wood Hazardous Silver 60S
Callaway Rogue ST 5 wood Mitsubishi Tensi Blue AV

Ping I25 4-LW ZZ65 

Scotty Cameron Newport 2 2013

Bridgestone B RX
God Bless America

Stay Free