IMG Junior World Championship

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My take is IMG tournaments are overpriced all of them including worlds. I guess it ok if you don't have other options out there. If your in a large southern state FL, AZ, TX, CA there is no need to do these type of tournaments.

IMG Worlds is probably the best junior golf event of the year. Every qualifier here in SoCal is booked solid the day it goes live and every kid in SoCal is gunning to get in. If you don't play in it you're missing out on a kids major event of the year.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

My take is IMG tournaments are overpriced all of them including worlds. I guess it ok if you don't have other options out there. If your in a large southern state FL, AZ, TX, CA there is no need to do these type of tournaments.

IMG Worlds is probably the best junior golf event of the year. Every qualifier here in SoCal is booked solid the day it goes live and every kid in SoCal is gunning to get in. If you don't play in it you're missing out on a kids major event of the year.

Yes but I have the option of doing a Florida State Junior tournament for $65. The costs are minimal and the competition is just as good if not better because a lot kids do not travel that much when they are under 12. In California don't you have the Toyota Cup? I understand that kids need to be a certain age to play in these events. Generally speaking though kids over 9 have a lot options.

I sort of learned paying $300 or more for a tournament for a 8 year old is kind of not worth it. With my younger daughter who is 8 I am taking the approach to play US Locals until she is ready to play 18 without a caddie which should be when she is closer to 10 and just do the Florida state tournaments with her.

I understand why people do it but I know tournaments just do not mean much then there 8 years old. Honestly it just hard to buy into the hype of the whole thing.

I've heard great things about it, we will probably go once the course isn't all par 3's like they are in the younger division. Who knows maybe we go this year I could use a vacation on the beach.

What are your thoughts on the FCG Callaway worlds. For those going to IMG, does it make sense to stay another week and attend that event?

FCG Callaway Worlds is my #1 favorite tournament. Huge field, great courses, lots of activities in the area and FCG puts on a great event. Because it's in the middle of summer in Palm Springs they let every kid take a cart and parents can caddie or just drive them around.

What are your thoughts on the FCG Callaway worlds. For those going to IMG, does it make sense to stay another week and attend that event?

FCG Callaway Worlds is my #1 favorite tournament. Huge field, great courses, lots of activities in the area and FCG puts on a great event. Because it's in the middle of summer in Palm Springs they let every kid take a cart and parents can caddie or just drive them around.

But, what about the triple digit heat? :scare2:

come to Texas for some real triple digit heat with humidity.

7 am start, done by 11:30. Out for lunch, maybe take a quick nap, get together with other kids at the pool around 4ish and maybe go to one of the events that FCG puts on in the evening.

Great event, and people know it, the growth of this event is amazing.

The fields are getting better every year.

For the younger age groups, I would rather do this tourney, than Jr. World in San Diego.

Yes but I have the option of doing a Florida State Junior tournament for $65. The costs are minimal and the competition is just as good if not better because a lot kids do not travel that much when they are under 12. In California don't you have the Toyota Cup? I understand that kids need to be a certain age to play in these events. Generally speaking though kids over 9 have a lot options.

I sort of learned paying $300 or more for a tournament for a 8 year old is kind of not worth it. With my younger daughter who is 8 I am taking the approach to play US Locals until she is ready to play 18 without a caddie which should be when she is closer to 10 and just do the Florida state tournaments with her.

I understand why people do it but I know tournaments just do not mean much then there 8 years old. Honestly it just hard to buy into the hype of the whole thing.

17 boys / 5 girls represented Florida last year. Here's the thing, it is the right tournament for the right golfer and your kid may not be the right golfer... if you aren't shooting UNDER par consistently you should save your money. IMG Worlds Results can be found here: IMG Bluegolf Results

From the IMG Website: Today, the tournament has grown to 1200 participants representing 56 countries and 42 states. The IMG Academy Junior World Golf Championships is the largest international event in the world and is unique for its international representation and cultural diversity.

This tournament is the Real Deal Holyfield... don't lie to yourself and say it isn't because it is.

Played in it last yr as a 7 yr. old. I think it was a good event with some really solid competition. Like someone said above, a lot of top asian kids come. I'm not too keen on the Sycuan resort and their staff/amenities though. Also the tournament happens in the middle of the week, which may be tough for some.

18 holes a day for 3 was a huge eye opener for my son. He was right in the hunt after two days and literally fell apart the final day. It was a culmination of several factors, but a great experience nonetheless.

come to Texas for some real triple digit heat with humidity.

It's a dry heat in the desert. Just make sure you are eating, drinking lots of water and recovering afterwards. For the kids that's a good dinner, some fun in the pool or goofing off at a local course. For parents that's pool time and margaritas while you talk about all the shots your kid missed and how much better your score could have been. :taunt:

17 boys / 5 girls represented Florida last year. Here's the thing, it is the right tournament for the right golfer and your kid may not be the right golfer... if you aren't shooting UNDER par consistently you should save your money. IMG Worlds Results can be found here: IMG Bluegolf Results

From the IMG Website: Today, the tournament has grown to 1200 participants representing 56 countries and 42 states. The IMG Academy Junior World Golf Championships is the largest international event in the world and is unique for its international representation and cultural diversity.

This tournament is the Real Deal Holyfield... don't lie to yourself and say it isn't because it is.

A lot of you have younger kids, I know your itching to get them into more competition and bigger tournaments. Once your kid is 12 and looking at 13 everything resets itself. The yardages is short for younger groups and some those kids are not going to be able to compete once they are 13 and playing much harder tournaments.

All I am saying is for a juniors golfers long term development it really isn't needed to play in and I rather save the money at this point.

A lot of you have younger kids, I know your itching to get them into more competition and bigger tournaments. Once your kid is 12 and looking at 13 everything resets itself. The yardages is short for younger groups and some those kids are not going to be able to compete once they are 13 and playing much harder tournaments.

All I am saying is for a juniors golfers long term development it really isn't needed to play in and I rather save the money at this point.

If you aren't playing and therefor not finishing high enough to qualify the next year as a junior (sub 12 year old) you are putting yourself behind the 8 ball because it becomes even more difficult to qualify the older you get. Our local qualifier had 70 kids for 3 spots last year in just one age division.

People are paying for experiences, time with their kid. Is this needed for the ability of the golfer not at all especially at 8, 7 whatever the age may be but its an experience. We did worlds at Pinehurst last year, my daughter still talks about it and asks when we are going back.

For this one if and when we go, its a family vacation there are always cheaper options to do fun events for the family but its a matter if you can justify the cost for your family to do the events or not. They are not needed and if your kid wins it means nothing in the long term of development but its a great experience and time your child will never forget regardless of the finish.

I do agree on the money part. It all means nothing until they reach the age of 13/14. Even then it could be a waste, when it becomes age 15 and above, it is a whole different experience.

My kid has played junior world 5 times and could have played 3 other times. It is local for for my kid. If it wasn’t local then I would have never done it.

When they get older and do okay, they will have the chance to play bigger subsidized events through your local association.

We are currently in the qualifying process in the 9/10 age. Since we live local in SD we can't simply apply to enter. We've played IMG, FCG, and USK worlds over the last 2 years, and the IMG seems like it has more international appeal. Since there are the 3 week long events available nearby (IMG, and 2 FCG events) I think that helps bring in some kids from further away, and make the trip a little more worthwhile.

Hopefully we'll qualify this year, as the competition in the age brackets get tougher every year.

The FCG tournament in the desert is a very fun event. When we played it was a very early morning shotgun and you're usually done before noon and the heat. The rest of the day is just spent lounging around the pools. Makes it a lot of fun to attend for the kids.

Tiger - do you have a son playing junior golf? I’m asking bc many of your comments are the opposite of my experience. Which Florida tour in the boys division match up in competitive field as USKG Worlds or IMG Worlds? You also say these yardages are short. Boys 9 play 4800 and boys 10 play 5000+. That’s the equivalent of 6600 at 15 and 6800 at 16, IMO. If you are coming from a girls perspective (I have a daughter starting but know the junior girls landscape fairly well), I get where you’re coming from. It is much less competitive and you can apply/qualify for everything. The yardages are usually an entire division off comparable to boys. When you have par 4s at 300+, par 5s at 400+ and par 3s at 120+, even for a long 10 year old, that’s driver, 9 iron on par 4s, unreachable par 5s and par 3s with a 7 iron. And that’s for the longest hitters I have seen at that age. For most hitters at that age it is very long with at least two clubs longer than what I just stated.

Boys 10 play callaway from the green tee on this scorecard:

https://cdn.cybergolf.com/images/1407/Scorecard_MountainView_2018.pdf

I’ve never played in Palm Springs so if the ball flies like it’s AZ then, yes, it won’t be extremely long. But Pinehurst 1 for boys 9 last year did not feel short for us and my son is definitely not a short hitter.

Point is - if you are coming from a junior girls perspective only, it is much different than boys in terms of distance needed off the tee and how low you have to go.

I have girls but I know boys are different. For kids under 13 there is not much need to play in US Kids or IMG worlds. 20 or 30 years ago I believe they were the only real option but today juniors have increasing options locally and statewide.

Both of those tours in my opinion are overpriced for what you get. US kids local is okay but traveling for 9 holes regional tournaments is a waste.

Those events are what I call vacations. Nothing wrong with playing them but it means nothing if you win. As an alternative you should be playing local junior pga sections and state level junior tournaments. Generally speaking they are cheaper but not always. All them have lots of competition is you live in a state with a lot golf.

Those tournaments are usually much cheaper and are simply better run. Some them are like for instance the TOYOTA CUP in Southern California is actually very important.

Eventually as a junior you will play AJGA but before that you have plenty of options.

Callaway is $359 for 54 holes. Rooms are $129 with the player discount, which is very cheap, IMO. I agree that USKG 9-hole regionals may be a waste but I think it moves to 36 holes at boys 9. What does it mean to win a local pga section event? Highly doubtful that a local pga event is better run than any of the world events. At least in my junior section it isn’t. State level doesn’t begin until you’re older, no? Are you talking about state junior am and am championships?

Callaway is $359 for 54 holes. Rooms are $129 with the player discount, which is very cheap, IMO. I agree that USKG 9-hole regionals may be a waste but I think it moves to 36 holes at boys 9. What does it mean to win a local pga section event? Highly doubtful that a local pga event is better run than any of the world events. At least in my junior section it isn’t. State level doesn’t begin until you’re older, no? Are you talking about state junior am and am championships?

Local pja section varies on where you live and so does competition. Some areas are very competive like North Texas, or Southern California and of course in Florida there is a few local pga sections like south florida.

If you live in a less competitive area perhaps you need to travel and IMG or US Kids might be good option. But for a lot us it is not worth the extra expense since we already play on weekly basis with lots of competition.

State level tournaments are like Florida state golf associate FJT tournaments and Texas TGT tournament. I believe they are older Lin general starting at 12 but there very well run tournaments. FJT tournaments are as hard as AJGA tournaments which is a big deal. They have a junior section that starts at 9.

In some cases traveling to a competive area actually makes more sense especially if you can stay with family and offset hotel costs.