Y word help

lblanton1

So I have caught the dreaded yips. Conpleyely out of no where and it’s been going on for months now. Im a 6 handicap that literally can’t putt at all now and that used to be a strength in my game. I thought it was something I could work through but it doesn’t appear to be going away anytime soon. I know this effects a lot of people, so has anyone “treated” themselves effectively? I tried the claw and it helped a little but still feels awful. I have two putters and one used to be my go to now feels like a foreign object in my hands. Enjoyment for the game has declined to the point where I no longer opt to play at times when I used to. Any advice .

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go for a big change. If you are right handed, but a left handed putter and putt that way for a while. Seriously.

You need to reset your putting brain and this might do it.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

Go for a big change. If you are right handed, but a left handed putter and putt that way for a while. Seriously.

I'd really like to hear any sort of support for that idea, or from anyone who has tried it.

First time I've heard of this solution, but I like the sound of it.

Heck, I'm a lousy putter so I might even give it go!

When I had them, I practiced 6 footers at home a lot. I set 4 quarters on the floor 2 - 4 inches apart(the cup) one 6 feet away and the last one two feet past. Get a few balls pratice from the 6' cion putt though the two but not past the one 2' past. Add if you want to take it up a notch put a ruller on the floor.

This helped me, maybe it will help you.

:golfer:

Spoiler

Stay the Course; and my the Course be with you!

I'd really like to hear any sort of support for that idea, or from anyone who has tried it.

First time I've heard of this solution, but I like the sound of it.

Heck, I'm a lousy putter so I might even give it go!

I made this suggestion based on a guy at our club. You have never seen a worse putting stroke than what he used to have. I would avert my eyes to avoid seeing it.

He switched from right handed to left handed putting and his stroke looks about a trillion times better.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

So I have caught the dreaded yips. Conpleyely out of no where and it’s been going on for months now. Im a 6 handicap that literally can’t putt at all now and that used to be a strength in my game. I thought it was something I could work through but it doesn’t appear to be going away anytime soon. I know this effects a lot of people, so has anyone “treated” themselves effectively? I tried the claw and it helped a little but still feels awful. I have two putters and one used to be my go to now feels like a foreign object in my hands. Enjoyment for the game has declined to the point where I no longer opt to play at times when I used to. Any advice .

Yes, PM me.

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

The claw right hand, weak left hand grip. Gone

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

I’ve talked about this before, but I went left handed after twenty plus years of right handed putting and I’ve never looked back. Yips so bad that I double hit one foot putts. No exaggeration, happened at least once a round and there was also no chance of making the comebacker. I’d freeze over the ball and just couldn’t take the club back. If the husband and I hadn’t retired specifically to play 300 times a year, I’d have quit golf entirely. Had almost two years of it when I started using the back edge of my right handed putter to knock in the two footers simply because I needed a way to finish the hole. People were constantly asking why my actual stroke didn’t look like the backhanded ones.

Bought a left handed putter on a lark and the yips were just gone. Friends laughed at me for about 30 seconds until they realized I was actually cured. Inside ten feet was easy to get used to, it took a month or two to get the distance right on long ones, but golf was immediately fun again. It was like all the scar tissue from a million horrible putts just went away.

Buy a cheap left handed putter and try it. Zero to lose and even if lefty doesn’t turn out to be your thing, just breaking the cycle isn’t going to hurt you any.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - 10.5*
Fairway: Callaway Epic Max - 15*, 21*, 25*

Hybrid:  Ping G425 30*
Irons: TaylorMade Stealth 7-AW
Wedges: PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 56* 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 62*
Putter:  Directed Force 2.1
Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft

I’ve talked about this before, but I went left handed after twenty plus years of right handed putting and I’ve never looked back. Yips so bad that I double hit one foot putts. No exaggeration, happened at least once a round and there was also no chance of making the comebacker. I’d freeze over the ball and just couldn’t take the club back. If the husband and I hadn’t retired specifically to play 300 times a year, I’d have quit golf entirely. Had almost two years of it when I started using the back edge of my right handed putter to knock in the two footers simply because I needed a way to finish the hole. People were constantly asking why my actual stroke didn’t look like the backhanded ones.

Bought a left handed putter on a lark and the yips were just gone. Friends laughed at me for about 30 seconds until they realized I was actually cured. Inside ten feet was easy to get used to, it took a month or two to get the distance right on long ones, but golf was immediately fun again. It was like all the scar tissue from a million horrible putts just went away.

Buy a cheap left handed putter and try it. Zero to lose and even if lefty doesn’t turn out to be your thing, just breaking the cycle isn’t going to hurt you any.

I’m gonna try this

Thanks for the responses

Curious Robin. Are you left hand strong at all or at any other things ? I ask because this trick is what I have been using to reset my brain. I just use a double sided ( non flange ) bullseye and go lefty in practice for a day and it seems to go away. But I’m also pretty left hand friendly with everything. I’ve come close to going lefty on the course. But haven’t. Main reason is I’d need to regrip or buy another lefty putter. As the grip on the bullseye is old and frankly gross. Lol. I wouldn’t want to transfer all that to the rest of my grips on the course. Anyway. Was just curious , since yours and Notah Begay are The only other “ going lefty” or switch hitting with putter fixes I’ve heard of.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Curious Robin. Are you left hand strong at all or at any other things ? I ask because this trick is what I have been using to reset my brain. I just use a double sided ( non flange ) bullseye and go lefty in practice for a day and it seems to go away. But I’m also pretty left hand friendly with everything. I’ve come close to going lefty on the course. But haven’t. Main reason is I’d need to regrip or buy another lefty putter. As the grip on the bullseye is old and frankly gross. Lol. I wouldn’t want to transfer all that to the rest of my grips on the course. Anyway. Was just curious , since yours and Notah Begay are The only other “ going lefty” or switch hitting with putter fixes I’ve heard of.

With the exception of a softball glove, I can’t do anything else with my left hand. In fact, for years I joked that I only had a left hand so that I’d look symmetrical.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - 10.5*
Fairway: Callaway Epic Max - 15*, 21*, 25*

Hybrid:  Ping G425 30*
Irons: TaylorMade Stealth 7-AW
Wedges: PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 56* 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 62*
Putter:  Directed Force 2.1
Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft

If claw/claw variations don't work then going lefty will be an immediate fix

I have had the putting flinches for 9 years (i remember the putt i first felt it on!) and chip/pitch flinches for 4 or 5 and have tried all of the "fixes." I started meditating (unrelated to golf) and found that to be the most effective solution for me. After about 3 months of daily meditation, i realized the flinch was gone

I've had yips since around year 2000 but not letting it get in the way of golf, I still enjoy playing golf. I have done several solutions using various putting grips to handle my yips, the current one is using an unanchored long putter. Couple of my friends has switched to putting lefty which has helped them.

Putting yips is much easier to handle than chipping yips, in my opinion.

Don't listen to anyone that has not experienced yips yet, they do not know what it is like until they actually experienced it.

62 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

Callaway Rogue Max LS 10.5 Ventus Red Velocore 6-S 

TSR2 10* Ventus Blue Velocore 6-S

Callaway Paradym TD 15* & AI Smoke TD 7 wood

Callaway Paradym 5-AW AMT Black S300

SM9 52* & 58*

Odyssey DART 47"

Armlock is a solution that works for some. It feels natural to me. Some of my friends can't even grip my putter comfortably, much less putt with it. It does lock in the left wrist and makes it very difficult to get wristy in the stroke.

I have putted predominately armlock for several years. I would have thought it would have become a lot more popular over that time. Maybe with some of the recent success of guys using the technique on tour it will increase in prevalence in the amateur game. I still haven't seen anyone else using it.

Part of the problem is there are limited opportunities to test due to few putters in golf shops. 38" counter balanced putters work if you put the ball toward your front foot. If you play it more centered you need a little more loft.

I only have issues with the shorter putts. I've changed numerous things over the years including changing my dominant putting hand from right to left. I have also changed the way I grip the putter (it definitely helps). Currently use a modified Claw/Pencil grip on putts inside of ten feet and a more conventional grip on longer putts. Counterbalanced putters that are longer help as well. Have gone back to putting basics to stop my tendency to put side spin on a putt and to ensure I'm putting with the bigger shoulder muscles. When the wheels completely fell off last summer I resorted to using a left handed putter for a short time.