2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

What ever happened to Scratch Golf?

Dr Rangelove

Haven't had the pleasure to try the irons, but still have the 8620 wedges in the bag. The grinds, shape, durability and price point were/are truly unmatched in the industry.

It may be hard to compete with the big boys, but I would strongly suggest you caused them to take a good hard look at there products and adjust there strategies. Maybe a small win? Either way, I'm greatful you took the chance and started a great company. Thanks!

Scratch Golf was cool. They had a nice studio and a great product. One of my friends just gave me a set of their irons to refinish and rebuild for him. They are very nice heads.

Average golfer doesnt understand custom equipment. Average golfer wont pay a ton of money for clubs.

Niche product with a limited customer base to start off...thats tough. Very difficult to convince a golfer why they need your product over something else they can buy at 20 different retailers in your area.

Then you have to convince them the price is worth it...thats tough.

Scratch had some fair deals on clubs, which is a shame more people didnt know about that.

I dont think Scratch ever seen an avg golfer on a budget...I have never met a golfer with scratch irons that made less than 120K per yr.

I get a haircut at a salon. I pay 60 bucks. A master stylist cuts my hair to perfection. I dont have any friends that do that. Some dont have the hair to justify it. Some just dont care. Some wont pay it.

Sad to see a business like Scratch go, but we have National Custom Works now. And we always will have something like this with venture capitalists and trust fund babies who love golf.

Haven't had the pleasure to try the irons, but still have the 8620 wedges in the bag. The grinds, shape, durability and price point were/are truly unmatched in the industry.

It may be hard to compete with the big boys, but I would strongly suggest you caused them to take a good hard look at there products and adjust there strategies. Maybe a small win? Either way, I'm greatful you took the chance and started a great company. Thanks!

That's really cool glad to hear your still enjoying your 8620s! For $99 w custom stampings and 6 grinds, those were tough to beat.

Big win in my book. I'm just a club HO at heart who LOVES golf equipment. I started Scratch literally because nobody made the wedges I wanted to play and I wanted to find a way to get them in my bag. Any way that I personally influenced the equipment industry for the better puts a big smile on my face.

If anyone has any questions about the history of Scratch or anything like that I'm happy to answer them in this thread if I can.

• Thanks 1

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
[email protected]
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)

I think the best way to tell the short version of the story is, it is VERY hard to compete with the big boys in the golf equipment industry. I started Scratch with Jeff McCoy at 23 years old with a $10k investment in my garage and we grew it to a multi million dollar company that changed the way companies offer customization to their customers. We did a ton of things amazingly well but made a few mistakes along the way which as a small company without deep pockets you just can't do. In the end the company was taken over by an investor who has done nothing with it that I know of. I'm very proud of my work at Scratch and have very font memories of all we did there.

I didn't realize you were that young when this all started. If my memory isn't failing, I seem to remember you posting about this on Derrick's forum, prior to it coming to fruition. I'd just assumed you were another 5-10 years older. LOL

Funny how our biases paint mental images. :)

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

It's crazy how time flies, and i have to remind myself that many new members might not remember Scratch Golf in their heyday. For those that don't, Scratch was THE brand here for quite some time. They had 2-3 standard sets, but you could get the full tour experience and get a completely custom set for something like 2500$ (very reasonable). As a lefty i was pretty jealous haha.....i wanted to order a fully customized set as a wedding present but there was less options for lefties which i understand...The point was, Scratch was the shizniiiiit. I mean you could get different finishes, custom sets....they were sweet

It was unfortunate becomes it seemed like the challenges started when the company was experiencing it's most expansion and recognition, Hot list awards, LPGA and PGA staffers. I always wondered if that was the cause of the issues. Ari does not need to answer that i am just wondering aloud

I will say that some members were probably too hard on Scratch at the end (though backlash to popular niche brands is also common online), because at the end of the day i can't imagine a company better exemplifying everything that we are as a site. I wish Scratch was still around

• Like 2

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Scratch Golf was cool. They had a nice studio and a great product. One of my friends just gave me a set of their irons to refinish and rebuild for him. They are very nice heads.

Average golfer doesnt understand custom equipment. Average golfer wont pay a ton of money for clubs.

Niche product with a limited customer base to start off...thats tough. Very difficult to convince a golfer why they need your product over something else they can buy at 20 different retailers in your area.

Then you have to convince them the price is worth it...thats tough.

Scratch had some fair deals on clubs, which is a shame more people didnt know about that.

I dont think Scratch ever seen an avg golfer on a budget...I have never met a golfer with scratch irons that made less than 120K per yr.

I get a haircut at a salon. I pay 60 bucks. A master stylist cuts my hair to perfection. I dont have any friends that do that. Some dont have the hair to justify it. Some just dont care. Some wont pay it.

Sad to see a business like Scratch go, but we have National Custom Works now. And we always will have something like this with venture capitalists and trust fund babies who love golf.

My compliments to your master stylist, your hair in your Avatar photo looks fantastic. I think you under paid. :)

On a more serious note my first encounter with Scratch golf was after finding a set of EZ1's and AR1's on the wall at Golf Town. I had heard about their wedges but didn't know they made irons. I can remember grabbing a 7 iron of each and heading into the sim. The EZ1's were a better fit for me over the AR1's. These were priced fairly high at the time for any iron on the wall. They were well admired but just didn't sell very well. I can remember the employee's fighting over who got to play the Scratch irons when the boy's were playing for money on the sim after hours. But....These 2 sets collected dust on the walls for 2 years before they discounted them 50% during Boxing Day sale. I can remember hitting the 7 iron again and getting a hole in one with it. The GT employee said he never even knew their was a actual hole on the simulator nevermind anyone getting a hole in one. Well had to buy them after that didn't i. Loved the feel of the EZ1's, fairly forgiving for a forged iron. These were the DS models [digger/slider] with my steep swing Digger Driver's would have been better for me. DW fitted models would have been my ultimate choice but being from Canada, the cost was very prohibited.

Not sure if supplying golf retailers with clubs was Scratch golfs downfall, but as a budding iron ho from Canada I was sure happy to get my mitts on a set.

Looks like National custom works has limitless upside. Some sweet irons coming out of that place.

Loved my scratch irons, gutted I missed out on a set of SB-1's

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Taylormade Stealth Pro
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG3 TW 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x v’s Chrome Tour 

Saw this thread and had to post a picture of my EZ1s. I bought the heads (brand new!) on the BST a few years back on a whim. Never played a forged cavity back before but thought it would be a fun project to play with. Threw in some ctapers and it was love at first 3 iron tee shot. In the words of the philosopher-poet Robert Marley — when it hits, you feel no pain.

I've always tinkered with my irons and bounced around looking for the right set. Even when I had sets that I loved, there was always something off. You all know the feeling when half the set is perfect, but there are a few clubs that you don't really get along with. I thought that was normal until I snagged these beauties.

• Like 1
Clubs: Ping G400 Max • Callaway 816 5w • Ping i25 3-W • Ping Rustique 50* & 58* • Betti BB1 Short Slant
Shafts: Aldila Rogue White 60x • PX 8B4 • DGTI x100 • DG s300
Balls: Titleist Pro V1 • Srixon Z Star XV

I think the best way to tell the short version of the story is, it is VERY hard to compete with the big boys in the golf equipment industry. I started Scratch with Jeff McCoy at 23 years old with a $10k investment in my garage and we grew it to a multi million dollar company that changed the way companies offer customization to their customers. We did a ton of things amazingly well but made a few mistakes along the way which as a small company without deep pockets you just can't do. In the end the company was taken over by an investor who has done nothing with it that I know of. I'm very proud of my work at Scratch and have very fond memories of all we did there.

Highway 97 - Mile Marker 55......? Sand Hills???? Pretty cool.

Saw this thread and had to post a picture of my EZ1s. I bought the heads (brand new!) on the BST a few years back on a whim. Never played a forged cavity back before but thought it would be a fun project to play with. Threw in some ctapers and it was love at first 3 iron tee shot. In the words of the philosopher-poet Robert Marley — when it hits, you feel no pain.

I've always tinkered with my irons and bounced around looking for the right set. Even when I had sets that I loved, there was always something off. You all know the feeling when half the set is perfect, but there are a few clubs that you don't really get along with. I thought that was normal until I snagged these beauties.

Just fell in love with the look of those clubs.

Can you tell about lofts and feel?

I could buy only for the look and keep them as back up

I am a constant follower of NC on Instagram, but I remember there was a picture of black scratch blades with orange skull and crossbones stamped on the back.

For two years straight, every week i would find the picture and stare at it lol.

I am currently hoarding cash to approach NC with a 5 iron bag that i want to build.

I think the best way to tell the short version of the story is, it is VERY hard to compete with the big boys in the golf equipment industry. I started Scratch with Jeff McCoy at 23 years old with a $10k investment in my garage and we grew it to a multi million dollar company that changed the way companies offer customization to their customers. We did a ton of things amazingly well but made a few mistakes along the way which as a small company without deep pockets you just can't do. In the end the company was taken over by an investor who has done nothing with it that I know of. I'm very proud of my work at Scratch and have very fond memories of all we did there.

I have my last 8620 DS 47* currently in my bag. Afraid this season will be it's final run. The shape of those wedges fit my eye perfectly. Will be tough to find a comparable replacement.

Callaway 816 DBD - Mitsubishi MMT 70
PXG 0341X 3W - HZRDUS Yellow Hand Crafted
Callaway Epic SZ 5W - Aldila Tour Blue
Honma TW747V 4-10 - Accra 80i
Corey Paul Raw 50*

Vega VW-06 54*

Scratch 58*
Tour Cameron NP2

I still carry 53 and 56 1018 and also have 50 and 60 1018, 56 FIT, PDG and EGG 60. Nothing will top the 56 1018 (I have tinkered with other GW but the 56 has been in my bag the longest of all my current set-up). I ordered my first ever set of clubs "for me" from Scratch also, maybe 15 years ago. They were in the bag a few years, AR-1 with Hogan red and black ferrules. Spoke with Patrick Boyd a couple times on that set. I occasionally look for a backup 1018 56, it's just the perfect wedge for me. The NCW line looks to be a worthy next act that I hope will continue to generate buzz and grow.

Cobra Aerojet 10.5 +1.5 Mitsubishi Kai'li S
Cobra LTDx 5w PX Hzrdus green 5.5

Cobra King Utility 20.5 Elements Chrome S 20.5

Mizuno 243 5-P DG S200
Corey Paul 52, 56, 60 
Mizuno OMOI 3 black 35"
Emeritus set:  Mizuno MP20 HMB 5, MMC 6-8, MP 9-P KBS C-taper Lite R 

I tell you, it will take time, but I can promise that as soon I will find a set of those in good conditions with the same stamping, they will be mine!! I saw a set on the bay but instead of the cool “s” on the back, it has the full “scratch” writing, which is less cool to my eyes.

Nice to have found something to hunt after DH89 putter.

Any place other than BST and the bay?

Nice observation...and you are correct.

I recently picked up a set of EZ-1s and have been blown away. Such easy clubs to hit and probably the best looking large cavity of all time. I was so impressed that I jumped in to ordering a short set with NCW. Currently still keeping my eyes peeled for a set of SB-1s for the collection.

It's too bad...I had a very pretty set of SB-1s with DGS400 Tour shafts. I then ordered a custom Don White 2 iron. Sadly, I was tempted by the fruit of another...and traded them for a different set of blades...

(Don't judge me too hard Ari).

I think the best way to tell the short version of the story is, it is VERY hard to compete with the big boys in the golf equipment industry. I started Scratch with Jeff McCoy at 23 years old with a $10k investment in my garage and we grew it to a multi million dollar company that changed the way companies offer customization to their customers. We did a ton of things amazingly well but made a few mistakes along the way which as a small company without deep pockets you just can't do. In the end the company was taken over by an investor who has done nothing with it that I know of. I'm very proud of my work at Scratch and have very font memories of all we did there.

I didn't realize you were that young when this all started. If my memory isn't failing, I seem to remember you posting about this on Derrick's forum, prior to it coming to fruition. I'd just assumed you were another 5-10 years older. LOL

Funny how our biases paint mental images. :)

Yeah I was on Derricks forum and pretty much every other relevant forum starting with the Golf Online forum in 1997. Then when WRX started I pretty much just settled in here. I think alot of people thought I was older that I was then. It's different now going to the PGA Show and not being part of the young generation anymore. I turn 40 next month and I almost feel like a grizzled veteran. This year was my 22nd PGA Show in a row.

Ari Techner
[email protected]
(still a huge club HO)

My favorite place in the world......

Ari Techner
[email protected]
(still a huge club HO)

I am a constant follower of NC on Instagram, but I remember there was a picture of black scratch blades with orange skull and crossbones stamped on the back.

For two years straight, every week i would find the picture and stare at it lol.

I am currently hoarding cash to approach NC with a 5 iron bag that i want to build.

I lusted after a set of Scratch irons and couldn’t ‘pull the trigger’. Kicked myself when the shop doors closed. I didn’t make the same mistake with NCW.

My issue right now is that the heads have been in the hands of Canada Customs for nearly a week. Some man/woman is probably ogleing or fondling them as I type this.

“Kind sir/madam, can you please release my clubs so I can complete this journey?”

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon