2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Best Training Aids

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Buying random training aids are for the most part a waste of money. The problem is a training aid may work for one person but not for another. In a lot cases you have really take a hard look and think is this going to help your issue.

The point of this was to create awareness of what’s out there and then use that information to see if it will help in whatever swing fixes you are working on. I didn’t even know about the Gabe golf trainer and dst compressor, both of which I can see being helpful with someone struggling with rhythm or impact, respectively. Instead of making a blanket statement like it’s all personal and a waste of money, let’s narrow down what others have found useful and then see if it could help in whatever swing flaws we are correcting. I can guarantee there’s an aid out there to better implement whatever corrections you are trying to make with your child as it is highly doubtful your child has an elite-level swing leading to consistent elite-level impact.

Given your opinion on lessons and teachers, I would expect you to have the most input on training aids.

Buying random training aids are for the most part a waste of money. The problem is a training aid may work for one person but not for another. In a lot cases you have really take a hard look and think is this going to help your issue.

It sounds like that is exactly what he has done. He has tried a few training aids, and found a couple that work.

I echo the swingyde. I don’t use it that much anymore, but when I did, it helped me visualize where the club should be on the backswing with less wrist extension. It’s hard to evaluate something without trying it first.

The point of this was to create awareness of what's out there and then use that information to see if it will help in whatever swing fixes you are working on. I didn't even know about the Gabe golf trainer and dst compressor, both of which I can see being helpful with someone struggling with rhythm or impact, respectively. Instead of making a blanket statement like it's all personal and a waste of money, let's narrow down what others have found useful and then see if it could help in whatever swing flaws we are correcting. I can guarantee there's an aid out there to better implement whatever corrections you are trying to make with your child as it is highly doubtful your child has an elite-level swing leading to consistent elite-level impact.

Given your opinion on lessons and teachers, I would expect you to have the most input on training aids.

You need to understand what you are trying to fix. A simple tennis ball or even holding your club a different way for a few swings may teach you how to turn. Sometimes it worth buying a training aid to help other times it is a complete waste of money. In many cases you can make your own training aid out of simple items.

I know you may think I don't like instructors but that is not true at all. I don't like instructors who should not be teaching junior kids. You average instructor is not a good source of knowledge for a junior and will just suck up money from you. A good instructor will not and actually teach you what is wrong with your swing and offer solutions to fix it.

I am sorry if it general but it really hard to say you should buy $100 orange whip or $200 super speed golf set when it may be the last thing you need. All of those items are overpriced but work if you need them and sometimes worth it and helps you learn faster.

Heck when my daughter was younger and first starting out she would place her club too far forward and heel the ball. The solution was to a put a bucket of balls or large block of wood in front of where she would swing the club so she would be afraid to hit it. Worked like a charm. I am sure there was a $100 training aid to fix that but it pretty cheap and effective to use the big bucket of balls you see at ranges which buy the way is a great training aid for chipping and other things as well.

The point of this was to create awareness of what's out there and then use that information to see if it will help in whatever swing fixes you are working on. I didn't even know about the Gabe golf trainer and dst compressor, both of which I can see being helpful with someone struggling with rhythm or impact, respectively. Instead of making a blanket statement like it's all personal and a waste of money, let's narrow down what others have found useful and then see if it could help in whatever swing flaws we are correcting. I can guarantee there's an aid out there to better implement whatever corrections you are trying to make with your child as it is highly doubtful your child has an elite-level swing leading to consistent elite-level impact.

You need to understand what you are trying to fix. A simple tennis ball or even holding your club a different way for a few swings may teach you how to turn. Sometimes it worth buying a training aid to help other times it is a complete waste of money. In many cases you can make your own training aid out of simple items.

I know you may think I don't like instructors but that is not true at all. I don't like instructors who should not be teaching junior kids. You average instructor is not a good source of knowledge for a junior and will just suck up money from you. A good instructor will not and actually teach you what is wrong with your swing and offer solutions to fix it.

I am sorry if it general but it really hard to say you should buy $100 orange whip or $200 super speed golf set when it may be the last thing you need. All of those items are overpriced but work if you need them and sometimes worth it and helps you learn faster.

Heck when my daughter was younger and first starting out she would place her club too far forward and heel the ball. The solution was to a put a bucket of balls or large block of wood in front of where she would swing the club so she would be afraid to hit it. Worked like a charm. I am sure there was a $100 training aid to fix that but it pretty cheap and effective to use the big bucket of balls you see at ranges which buy the way is a great training aid for chipping and other things as well.

Okay - I get your point. You are saying that you can makeshift your own training aid to teach the same things that a training aid would promote. That’s the not point of this discussion. The topic isn’t what’s the cheapest way to learn or correct a golf swing. Training aids are useful in helping with something you are working on, hopefully that an instructor has pointed out. You do realize that pros and teachers all use training aids, right?

You should start a topic on what’s the least expensive way to get your junior good at golf. Because teachers, simulators and any tournament outside of the Florida tours are a waste of money according to you.

Tiger- With all do respect, please stop derailing every good topic on this forum with cynicism, questioning of the OPs motives, etc...usually while making general assumptions about the OP or their junior. I don’t know you, your level of expertise in golf, or what level your kid plays at. I’me sure you are a great guy and a great golf dad, but please take a second before you fire off a response to think -“ do I have personal experience /expertise on this matter that could be helpful to someone else on this forum?” ...if not, no need to respond, its just taking up space on the internet and going off track of the topic at hand. There is lots of good info and knowledge to be had on this forum (from you too ime sure), but it is exhausting to have to weed through all of the ill-thought responses that lack any substance and are in no way helpful to anyone. If you have specific thoughts on why we all shouldn’t use swing aids- then please start another thread about it. But helpful to everyone if it stays on topic.

I've found the pivot pro and swingyde to be great. Wanted to get thoughts from others re favorite training aids.

The Power Package is a better version of the Swingyde.

And then there's my favorite training aid: Golf Aid Reviews

The second one seems like the best aid ever! Seriously, I didn’t even know about the power package. That seems to be an evolved version of the swingyde.

Tiger- With all do respect, please stop derailing every good topic on this forum with cynicism, questioning of the OPs motives, etc...usually while making general assumptions about the OP or their junior. I don’t know you, your level of expertise in golf, or what level your kid plays at. I’me sure you are a great guy and a great golf dad, but please take a second before you fire off a response to think -“ do I have personal experience /expertise on this matter that could be helpful to someone else on this forum?” ...if not, no need to respond, its just taking up space on the internet and going off track of the topic at hand. There is lots of good info and knowledge to be had on this forum (from you too ime sure), but it is exhausting to have to weed through all of the ill-thought responses that lack any substance and are in no way helpful to anyone. If you have specific thoughts on why we all shouldn’t use swing aids- then please start another thread about it. But helpful to everyone if it stays on topic.

Tiger - here’s a good article for you - if swinging out to in was fixed by using a bucket at a range:

https://www.golftipsmag.com/instruction/full-swing/pro-vs-joe/

I tried a few aids. For them to really work they need to match what you are trying to do or what you need.

To answer your question, I love my orange whip but I use it more for warming up/loosening up, stretching and tempo. I also really like my Speed Sticks but they are a speed trainer, not a swing trainer. I picked up the Power Package this winter so I can’t gauge it yet.

I also consider my Seemore putter a fantastic training ad. Thus thing has improved my stroke and alignment by leaps and bounds.

That stated, the greatest training aid available is the fiberglass drive way markers at Lowe’s or Home Depot. You can do all kinds of things with them and they are all over the range during a pro event.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1