Loving P790 One Year Later?

uglande

I think basically if you struggle with distance and are a high ball hitter/high spin player due to adding loft through impact they can be a great club for you. If you're a very high swing speed player who puts way too much spin on the ball a club like this IF FIT PROPERLY can work well... you'll just be hitting less club into greens but you'll have to be careful with certain lies. I will say that there are WAY more amateurs that have too little spin rather than too much contrary to all of the ballooning talk you see on here... (keep in mine how high pros hit it). The person these are not good for is someone like me. I'm on the cusp of the "right" amount of spin and height with a players iron. My usual 7i carry is 155-165 depending on loft with around 5500-6500 rpm backspin. If I go to an iron like this my spin drops into the 4000k range and I start to hit a 7 around 180+ yards without enough stop. Put me in a flier lie on the course and I'm in trouble. Keep in mind the course is ALWAYS taking spin away from you - rarely, if ever, giving any back. If you're on the cusp of being okay on a monitor it's not going to be a good result on course.

I use a 10.5 degree driver and would describe myself as a mid to low ball hitter with average spin and my 7 iron was a 165 club. I simply moved to a high launch mid to high spin shaft with these heads and now carry my 7 iron around 175 on a nice high trajectory with zero ballooning and consistent distance control. Finding the best head / shaft combo is key to any fitting, as is a proper ball fitting.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had my P790's over a year now. great clubs, have got me to single figures alongside a total swing change. I just find front to back dispersion to be a little too much. Hit some P760's today at my local pro shop....... so so nice!!

now I have to think about changing or even going for a P730/760 combo set....... what you think???

There is no way I'm getting rid of my P790's as I played some of the best golf in years. This is the best set of irons TaylorMade has ever came out with. The longer irons are just as easy to hit as the short irons. No reason to get rid of mine.

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

I really really really really wanted to love these irons. I love the look and the feel of the 790s but I don't think I hit a single green in the three months I had them in the bag. I felt like I was starting to lose my mind because I never knew where a short iron shot was going to go. I benched them for my old irons, and then picked up a set of JPX900f's off another WRXer and haven't looked back. I don't want to bash the 790's but they just didn't work for me. I do however still have my 790 UDI in the bag and absolutely love it.

I've had my P790's over a year now. great clubs, have got me to single figures alongside a total swing change. I just find front to back dispersion to be a little too much. Hit some P760's today at my local pro shop....... so so nice!!

now I have to think about changing or even going for a P730/760 combo set....... what you think???

I’ve been thinking of going 5-Pw 760 and keeping my 4i 790

Driver: TaylorMade SIM MAX (10.5 degrees - set to 9.75 and 1.5 degrees open)

Shaft: Aldila Rogue 130 White 70 TX (at 45" and tipped 1")

3-wood: TaylorMade SIM (15 degrees)

Shaft: Aldila Rogue 130 Black 70 TX (at 43" and tipped 1")

UDI: *** Under Construction ***

Irons: TaylorMade P-7MC 4-PW (1 degree upright)

Shaft: Nippon Pro Modus3 Tour 120 X

Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore Tour Rack (Raw) 52.10, 56.12 & 60.12

Shaft: Nippon Pro Modus3 Wedge 125

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Mid-Slant (at 34")

Do it and let me know how it goes

http://www.golfwrx.com/543492/pxg-and-taylormade-reach-settlement-over-p-790-irons-legal-dispute-dating-back-to-2017/?utm_source=Front&utm_medium=Featured_Center_Sub&utm_campaign=GolfWRX_OnSite&utm_content=sub

Benched them (except for the 3 iron) for my RSI2's (4-PW). Better distance control, with no loss of distance. Warmer temp return then they will have to compete with MP-15's. I don't see them getting back in the bag anytime soon.

[color=#008080][size=2]Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Max 9.0 w/Kinetixx Velocity (D30)
Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Max 3W w/Tensei AV Blue (S)
Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Max 5W w/Tensei AV Blue (S)

Callaway Apex '21 4-PW w/Tensei AV Blue (S)
Callaway JAWS RAW Matte Black 48 DG Spinner

Callaway JAWS RAW Matte Black 52 DG Spinner

Callaway JAWS RAW Matte Black 56 DG Spinner

Scotty Cameron 2014 Fastback w/Superstroke Countercore Pistol GT 1.0[/size][/color]

Been hating mine lately. Switched back to my MP15s for a bit and then found my RSi 2’s. Not sure why I went away from them. Consistent with no surprises. Well see when the weather gets better but for now they’re staying in the bag

Did you give up any distance switching from the 790's to the RSI 2's?

No noticeable distance loss. I never really felt they that much longer to begin with.

The lofts are very similar throughout the set. P790 7I 30.5, RSI 2 7I 31.0

Been hating mine lately. Switched back to my MP15s for a bit and then found my RSi 2’s. Not sure why I went away from them. Consistent with no surprises. Well see when the weather gets better but for now they’re staying in the bag

Did you give up any distance switching from the 790's to the RSI 2's?

No noticeable distance loss. I never really felt they that much longer to begin with.

The lofts are very similar throughout the set. P790 7I 30.5, RSI 2 7I 31.0

RSi2 definitely a risk of the face slot cave in from your 7i to 4i. P790s - zero issue. Jus sayin

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Cobra Forged Tec X 5 - PW KBS TGI 85 stiff shafts
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48* & Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

There's a lot posted on this. The short:

These are unicorn clubs. They feel amazing, they are forgiving as hell, and they're as good an iron as I've ever hit.

If you're a low ball hitter with low spin you MAY experience fliers. I did, on about 15 percent of shots on trackman I'd see spin rates drop about 1000RPM and get an extra 8-10 yards out of them, all the way down to about the 8/9 iron.

I would kill to not have this happen for me, as they'd be my gamers for a long time. I'd certainly give them a go. Great clubs. I just think the truth of the distance control issue is between YES and NO, and much more a MAYBE.

Tried a friends 790s this evening on Trackman, that had the same shafts as my 770s. I have a handful of the shots your describing above, spin was half it would normally be and the ball carried 10 more yards at least. Was more with the 5-6 iron than the shorter irons. I am a lower ball lower spin iron player.

My lone survivor is the P790 4Iron that may never leave my bag. Its just so easy to flush and its great how high it flies! Gives me a nice weapon between my hybrid and then my JPX919 Forged 5 iron. Love this iron in my set up!

PXG GEN6 0311 10.5*DRIVER/FUJI RED VELOCORE 6S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN5 0311XF 17*FAIRWAY/FUJI MOTORE X F3 7S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN3 0311XP 3 IRON/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN4 0311P GW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG SD II WEDGES/56/13&62/10/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/GP TW BLK

MACHINE M2A 1018RAW CS PUTTER/ACCRA I-STEEL/SS FLAT 1.0

I plan to keep them in the bag for this year. I haven't had any flier issues with my set. Very good all around iron.

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR3 with Metaflex 5H shaft (currently testing the Proxima 6 stiff shaft)
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

Had them, never worked there way in my bag. Wrong shafts for me.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

I'm coming from AP2s and in the 2 months I have had them so far I am really struggling with distance control which is something I never had in my AP2s. I'm going to give them until the end of the summer and of I don't see an improvement them I am going to move on. I mean I do love the long irons but missing greens is just killing me. I have been driving the ball the best of my life in the last month and my handicap has gone up 4 points.

I have come back to these after 3 months with the 760’s. I love how the 760’s look and feel, would love to carry on with them, but I just couldn’t live with the 1 1/2-2 clubs I lost in distance... hitting an 8 from 150 yards is better than hitting a 6 any day.....

match the lofts. Problem solved

Has anyone done this yet? Match the 760 lofts to the 790s?

lofts matched

I have come back to these after 3 months with the 760’s. I love how the 760’s look and feel, would love to carry on with them, but I just couldn’t live with the 1 1/2-2 clubs I lost in distance... hitting an 8 from 150 yards is better than hitting a 6 any day.....

match the lofts. Problem solved

Has anyone done this yet? Match the 760 lofts to the 790s?

lofts matched

Great find man, thanks!

I am about to pull the trigger on a set with c tapers, my only concern is it seems like they are a little low spinning ? Although they seem to spin more than the I 500 's ?

I wouldn’t worry to much on the raw spin number as they have been lifted strong for the number iron each is. The ability for these clubs to achieve at or higher apex and decent angles seems to defy current iron physics at least for me.

PXG GEN6 0311 10.5*DRIVER/FUJI RED VELOCORE 6S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN5 0311XF 17*FAIRWAY/FUJI MOTORE X F3 7S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN3 0311XP 3 IRON/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN4 0311P GW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG SD II WEDGES/56/13&62/10/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/GP TW BLK

MACHINE M2A 1018RAW CS PUTTER/ACCRA I-STEEL/SS FLAT 1.0

I am about to pull the trigger on a set with c tapers, my only concern is it seems like they are a little low spinning ? Although they seem to spin more than the I 500 's ?

I wouldn't worry to much on the raw spin number as they have been lifted strong for the number iron each is. The ability for these clubs to achieve at or higher apex and decent angles seems to defy current iron physics at least for me.

Agree whole heartedly and my spin numbers have gone up versus 770s with the same shafts.

Please excuse me if this has been answered elsewhere, but does TM plan on replacing these anytime soon? I got the chance to hit these yesterday and I'm in awe. Looking for something longer and more forgiving then my 714 AP2s and these might do the trick.

I have no insider knowledge, but remember people asking this toward the end of last year, and the answer then seemed to be overwhelmingly "no." (Some had thought that the P760s would replace these -- but the P760s appear to have simply been "added" to the P790s and the "bladier" offerings.) My local Club Champion said that they were hot sellers last year, so I suspect these might have a decent shelf life to them before they're updated.

Mine replaced 714 AP2s, too. Thankfully, I've found the transition to these to be exactly as you hope it'd be for you.

Please excuse me if this has been answered elsewhere, but does TM plan on replacing these anytime soon? I got the chance to hit these yesterday and I'm in awe. Looking for something longer and more forgiving then my 714 AP2s and these might do the trick.

I have no insider knowledge, but remember people asking this toward the end of last year, and the answer then seemed to be overwhelmingly "no." (Some had thought that the P760s would replace these -- but the P760s appear to have simply been "added" to the P790s and the "bladier" offerings.) My local Club Champion said that they were hot sellers last year, so I suspect these might have a decent shelf life to them before they're updated.

Mine replaced 714 AP2s, too. Thankfully, I've found the transition to these to be exactly as you hope it'd be for you.

Awesome, thanks for the reply.

I took the plunge and went for the P760's 4-pw.

hardly any lost distance and yer very controllable. Very happy with them so far.

• 2 weeks later...

Had them, never worked there way in my bag. Wrong shafts for me.

Update. So last season I had an opportunity to grab a set but I wasn’t able to get fit. I bought into all the Modus 105s hype which was a comp,etc miss on my part. I could not feel these irons during my swing at all and gave up on them very quickly.

Fast forward to a demo day. I go to the TM booth to hit the TM 760. The guy says, “have you tried the 790?”. Obviously I tell the guy yes and I told him about the Modus shafts and zero feel.

He sets up a 790 with Nippon 950GH. Wow!!! What a difference. High, long, straight right from the get go. I’ll be hittng these against the g410 in the near future.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

Thanks for all the comments so far. I started this thread because I was considering moving to the P790s, and now that's exactly what I'm doing. I am a high spin player and love the results I am getting so far from the 5 and 7 irons (the others are on order).

It's funny to hear people talking about hitting P790 8-irons 200 yards. I think that's probably either BS or a mis-read. (Or those golfers have a strange combination of super-low spin and high clubbed speed).

Anyway, for me, I can consistently hit the 5-iron to 195 and rolling out to 205, so I am able to retain the stopping power on a 200-plus club. Similarly, the 7-iron goes to about 168 and stops at around 175. Adequate distances and plenty of spin left to keep it under control. With my old forged clubs (of course, I miss the feel), I would practically be backing up a 7-iron on the green with all my spin. (My GC results have been consistent, BTW, no fliers or distance control issues. Amazingly consistent, actually, in part because they are so forgiving on off-center strikes).

I still need to work on my strike to keep my spin in the right zone, but P790s have been an equipment breakthrough for me so far. I never thought I would play "power" irons. I LOVE forged. But for my swing/delivery, these give me the best results.

Titleist TSR3 08.75 – AD DI 65x

Titleist TSR2 14.50 – AD DI 75x

Titleist TSR2 17.25 – AD DI 85x

Titleist TSR2 21.00 – AD DI 95x

Titleist T150 4i-6i – X100 Tour

Titleist T100 7i-9i – X100 Tour

Titleist SM09 Pw-Lw – S400 Tour

Titleist Pro V1 – White Hot OG5

Thanks for all the comments so far. I started this thread because I was considering moving to the P790s, and now that's exactly what I'm doing. I am a high spin player and love the results I am getting so far from the 5 and 7 irons (the others are on order).

It's funny to hear people talking about hitting P790 8-irons 200 yards. I think that's probably either BS or a mis-read. (Or those golfers have a strange combination of super-low spin and high clubbed speed).

Anyway, for me, I can consistently hit the 5-iron to 195 and rolling out to 205, so I am able to retain the stopping power on a 200-plus club. Similarly, the 7-iron goes to about 168 and stops at around 175. Adequate distances and plenty of spin left to keep it under control. With my old forged clubs (of course, I miss the feel), I would practically be backing up a 7-iron on the green with all my spin. (My GC results have been consistent, BTW, no fliers or distance control issues. Amazingly consistent, actually, in part because they are so forgiving on off-center strikes).

I still need to work on my strike to keep my spin in the right zone, but P790s have been an equipment breakthrough for me so far. I never thought I would play "power" irons. I LOVE forged. But for my swing/delivery, these give me the best results.

I agree high launch/high spin guys these irons are real good