What is your best golf fitness tip?

DGA3

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stretch stretch stretch and stretch again. Especially if it limits your swing.

The hip and back flexibility of the pros is insane. It’s dumb to try to mimic their moves without trying to increase your flexibility.

Also stretch your neck if it’s not flexible. Really helped me keep my head under control.

I think the main thing when it comes to golf is strengthening your core muscles which acts as the stabilizers for your back muscles. In terms of putting on muscle, this can have a negative affect on your swing if you put too much muscle on. Up to the individual but thats what I would focus on.

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

Stretch stretch stretch and stretch again. Especially if it limits your swing.

The hip and back flexibility of the pros is insane. It's dumb to try to mimic their moves without trying to increase your flexibility.

Also stretch your neck if it's not flexible. Really helped me keep my head under control.

I belive there's a lot of truth to this, certainly for me.

Chris Finn / Par4Success has the best video I've seen on range of motion limitations and the effects on the golf swing:

[media=]

[/media]

Simple answer: stretch alot.

Stretch 3-5x a day. focus on core/upper legs as hip rotation and shoulder seperation from hips will equal speed, less injury risk, and more consistency from day to day.

Best stretches IMO are the ones that open up the hip flexor/hammy area. Lay on your back and do the leg over stretch. That one is my favorite.

Sorry for the shameless plug but i wrote something on this a couple years ago:

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1588476-i-gained-15-20-yards-across-the-board-last-winter-and-it-hasnt-regressed-heres-how-i-did-it/

Callaway

Simple answer: stretch alot.

Stretch 3-5x a day. focus on core/upper legs as hip rotation and shoulder seperation from hips will equal speed, less injury risk, and more consistency from day to day.

Best stretches IMO are the ones that open up the hip flexor/hammy area. Lay on your back and do the leg over stretch. That one is my favorite.

Sorry for the shameless plug but i wrote something on this a couple years ago:

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1588476-i-gained-15-20-yards-across-the-board-last-winter-and-it-hasnt-regressed-heres-how-i-did-it/

That’s a fantastic summary!

At the end of last year I declared that I had made the speed gains I needed, but wanted to continue to work on higher hands, stability, and flexibility to make that speed easier and safer. Much of what I do personally is similar to your excellent write-up.

Now, I wasn’t expecting a knee injury from skiing, or a bone chip in my tricep tendon to slow my roll this winter but, hey, the PT gives me another opportunity to stretch.

Core work

Anti-rotation exercises

Band work

Explosive/speed movements

Posterior chain exercises

Constant stretching, especially if you're some kind of cubicle monkey like I am

Titleist TS3 w/ Even Flow White
M1 w/ Diamana Thump
M4 Tour w/ Kuro Kage TiNi
GAPR w/ KBS Tour Proto
Srixon Z-765 w/ PX LZ
Vokey 46° 
Hi-Toe 52° & 58°
Bobby Grace Tour Diamond 3

I haven't lifted weights or stretched in 2 years. I did drop some fat though..starting hitting it great...gained some back and my game declinded. Swing is coming back (and fat also dropping again). Going to start the drive400 program shortly, we shall see if it helps. Currently get 162-165mph ball speeds with driver, would love to get into the 170s

Im glad this topic was introduced, I wanted to get a bit longer with my drives and irons.....I started going for long walks and then graduated to lifting and stretching at home and then I joined a gym and did olympic power lifts. im in my 50s, so I guess I should not expect much.

3 months of walking and 2 months of running on all hills and inclines and walk on flats and downslope. I did get much better cardio and dropped about 12 lbs. The walks varied from 6-13 miles and the run walks were about 9 miles with about 2 miles of hill runs. I could now walk 36 holes with my carry bag and not be too tired even on hilly courses but I did not gain any distance whatsoever !

Next I worked out at home with power blocks and did shoulder presses and bench and squats and deadlifts. My dumbbells only go to 100 lbs each so I could only take it so far. I do have a background in lifting. ( I used to workout about 20-25 years ago ) so the strength came back reasonably quick for my age. I increased about 30% in strength and did not gain any distance whatsoever.

At this point I decided flexibility was my key problem. I purchased a stretching pole and the MISIG ( Most Important stretch in golf ) I used those and followed instructions. I still kept up with my lifting but cut my walking/running by about half. After 8 weeks, I saw zero improvement in distance but I did feel more connected through my swing and my balance improved. I noticed that my finish was not as complete as I would like and have focused on shoulder turn and finish of the swing.

Next I joined a gym and that was fun, I started doing full squats and Power Cleans and Bench press and Deadlifts and calve raises and Pullups and I rowed about 5000m 2-3X a week. After about 10 weeks, im starting to max out in strength. My bench is about 300 and my squat is about 350 and deadlift is about 325 ( weak because I never deadlifted before in my younger days ). Im sure I can get to 350 bench and 450 squat by the end of the year. But sadly my distance did not improve. In fact I suffered a biceps injury and am currently under the care of a TPI Physical therapist and trainer.

Its a very minor injury and my next step is to employ a swing coach to help me with getting some distance.

* It is truly amazing how much effort I have put in and how absolutely zero results I have gotten as a result of my exercising. Haha and my swing speed and ball speed is very pedestrian. ( too ashamed to actually list it ! )

My only success has been optimizing my angle of attack and launch angle and backspin.....I swing slow as a slough but im doing the most with my meager swing speed.

Just finished reading the "crazy thoughts" that spewed from my head..... All of the stuff I did has increased my golf fitness. But had zero effect on swing speed. Addressing the best area of golf fitness to work on is individual for each person, I think you should work on the area that you are most deficient in.....If you are stiff get stronger and if you are weak get physically stronger focusing on legs and back and core. If you don't have much time, running 30 flights of stairs and doing 50 burpees with a jump at the end takes a min amount of time but it will do wonders for your overall golf fitness.

Im glad this topic was introduced, I wanted to get a bit longer with my drives and irons.....I started going for long walks and then graduated to lifting and stretching at home and then I joined a gym and did olympic power lifts. im in my 50s, so I guess I should not expect much.

3 months of walking and 2 months of running on all hills and inclines and walk on flats and downslope. I did get much better cardio and dropped about 12 lbs. The walks varied from 6-13 miles and the run walks were about 9 miles with about 2 miles of hill runs. I could now walk 36 holes with my carry bag and not be too tired even on hilly courses but I did not gain any distance whatsoever !

Next I worked out at home with power blocks and did shoulder presses and bench and squats and deadlifts. My dumbbells only go to 100 lbs each so I could only take it so far. I do have a background in lifting. ( I used to workout about 20-25 years ago ) so the strength came back reasonably quick for my age. I increased about 30% in strength and did not gain any distance whatsoever.

At this point I decided flexibility was my key problem. I purchased a stretching pole and the MISIG ( Most Important stretch in golf ) I used those and followed instructions. I still kept up with my lifting but cut my walking/running by about half. After 8 weeks, I saw zero improvement in distance but I did feel more connected through my swing and my balance improved. I noticed that my finish was not as complete as I would like and have focused on shoulder turn and finish of the swing.

Next I joined a gym and that was fun, I started doing full squats and Power Cleans and Bench press and Deadlifts and calve raises and Pullups and I rowed about 5000m 2-3X a week. After about 10 weeks, im starting to max out in strength. My bench is about 300 and my squat is about 350 and deadlift is about 325 ( weak because I never deadlifted before in my younger days ). Im sure I can get to 350 bench and 450 squat by the end of the year. But sadly my distance did not improve. In fact I suffered a biceps injury and am currently under the care of a TPI Physical therapist and trainer.

Its a very minor injury and my next step is to employ a swing coach to help me with getting some distance.

* It is truly amazing how much effort I have put in and how absolutely zero results I have gotten as a result of my exercising. Haha and my swing speed and ball speed is very pedestrian. ( too ashamed to actually list it ! )

My only success has been optimizing my angle of attack and launch angle and backspin.....I swing slow as a slough but im doing the most with my meager swing speed.

Great write-up. That was me all over at the start of last year.

Likely you have build a great foundation for gaining speed through all of your efforts, and simply haven’t learned to swing faster yet.

SuperSpeed Golf and a swing speed radar could easily be your ticket to significantly more yards off the tee. The fact that you’ve done the foundational work but still have slow swing speed just makes the potential up-side even more exciting...

Likely you have build a great foundation for gaining speed through all of your efforts, and simply haven't learned to swing faster yet.

SuperSpeed Golf and a swing speed radar could easily be your ticket to significantly more yards off the tee. The fact that you've done the foundational work but still have slow swing speed just makes the potential up-side even more exciting...

Yep....that is next on my list....super speed golf !!!!!

Likely you have build a great foundation for gaining speed through all of your efforts, and simply haven't learned to swing faster yet.

SuperSpeed Golf and a swing speed radar could easily be your ticket to significantly more yards off the tee. The fact that you've done the foundational work but still have slow swing speed just makes the potential up-side even more exciting...

Yep....that is next on my list....super speed golf !!!!!

Owww my back!! Lol

Just finished reading the "crazy thoughts" that spewed from my head..... All of the stuff I did has increased my golf fitness. But had zero effect on swing speed. Addressing the best area of golf fitness to work on is individual for each person, I think you should work on the area that you are most deficient in.....If you are stiff get stronger and if you are weak get physically stronger focusing on legs and back and core. If you don't have much time, running 30 flights of stairs and doing 50 burpees with a jump at the end takes a min amount of time but it will do wonders for your overall golf fitness.

Hopefully your TPI instructor also has you start working in some med ball throws, lot of different ways to do them and they can be very beneficial in starting to take some of that strength and foundation and put more into power (much easier on the body than olympic lifts most of the time, unless the person has great mobility and stability).

Low weight, high rep compound and movement-based exercises. And walking...lots and lots of walking.

I would actually say that's a common misconception, you certainly can lift heavy (Brooks Koepka *sp?), just have to make sure you're doing it correctly and your body has the foundation for it.

Mine is: don’t listen to Brandel, et al., who say that lifting heavy is “bad for golf”... I have my personal theories on why heavy weight trainers may struggle with the golf swing, and there’s a pretty straightforward solution, so to speak, that can mitigate the issue.

EDIT: And by “heavy,” I mean relative to your own body’s general abilities and limitations.

Agreed with this. Why in the world would it be bad to squat and deadlift heavy (provided you don’t lose flexibility)?

If you're a numbskull like me, you can build your own DIY percussion massager using a jigsaw, a universal attachment, and a massage ball...

Very nicely done ! Does it work well ?

It’s fantastic, actually. It packs a punch! I’m doing assisted stretching at Massage Envy and they use a Hyperice Hypervolt, and this is basically the same effect.

Some of the pro percussion massagers are basically modified reciprocating saws, so there are a lot of examples on YouTube of how to make them. Some companies even sell the massaging attachments specifically for reciprocating saws.

I alternate night of cardio and circuit training

Cardio is just treadmill speed walking with inclines mixed in .. 1hr

Circuit training is 4 - 6 mins on a treadmill then a circuit of strength exercises: planks, ab roller, bench, fly's, curls, lats, Trx

I also do full depth squats with only a medicine ball or smash ball

Rinse and repeat. Takes 90 mins or so

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Just started doing Landmine exercises, Shoulder presses with 180* twist......simply wrecks my abs in a good way......and it makes me realize how weak my rotational muscles are......this and power cleans and burpees up to a 36" box and drop to a jump squat seem to be making me more explosive.......and of course stretching !

most people wont gain any consistent noticeable improvement in distance with strength gain via weight training that will justify the time commitment. now, if you are overweight and you lose some body mass in the middle you can increase swing speed pretty noticeably, because a big belly for most folks is an anchor to rotational speed. but just adding to your squat and bench isnt going to do much for most golfers. and even so, 10 yards of driving distance for an amateur player does very little to change your score! seriously. what is the difference between 260 and 270? 220 and 230? it just doesnt matter. its no where near worth all the time and effort. your better served to spend the time chipping and putting or just making center face contact with driver. far more results that will consistently help your score.

to me if you are going to dedicate the time and effort to see gains, you need to see exactly how this will result in scoring. If you drive it 220 and can get up to 250 drives without losing accuracy or much accuracy.... i can see it really helping scoring. but to grind away in the gym for maybe 10-12 yards....just doesnt make sense. its not going to help you score that much.

basic fitness, strength training, stretching to prevent injury and stay healthy. thats the reason to do it. sadly, its not going to help you hit much further.

I think something that gets lost really quickly in these topics is the potential for benefits other than distance.

Pros spend a lot of time working on flexibility, balance, and stability and that's not all to add yards.

What about being able to hit it more consistently because your posture and balance have improved, or because strength and flexibility improvements aren't forcing you to come out of posture?

What about being able to play 18 with a consistent swing, vs. the cracks appearing towards the back end of the round?

I wonder how many golfers who pleasure the goat do so because it's physically difficult or impossible to smoothly translate their front bend into side bend and to post effectively, vs. just not 'making the right move'....

What about posture? Has anyone made Posture changes and seen improvement?

I know with these dang phones and computers we all sit hunched over all the time. It has to affect the golf swing if your upper spine cannot rotate.

Getting there. Take a look at GravityFit golf. Helps correct bad posture from weak/rounded shoulders. Golf swing feels hyper- restricted and weird after using it. Cameron Smith and others are actively using the product.

Flexibility & Mobility: Yoga, Kinetic Stretches and Controlled Articular Joint Rotation, I do shoulder and hip mobility exercises almost daily with and without bands

Cardio, Strength and Speed: Jump Rope, HIIT Jump variations with and without rotation, Glute Hip thrusts & variations (google/instagram Bret Contreras for best glute workouts), glute/ham raises, single leg and traditional dead lifts (60% of max with speed), ab roller, planks and oblique strengthening exercises