2019 Callaway Golf Balls

2»

Comments

• MahamiltoMahamilto NYCMembers Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that it’s a chrome soft with the alignment aid.

I can’t imagine a tour star stepping down from urethane.

Even cally admits the ball won’t spin like the tour ball.
    Titleist TS3 - 9.75* - HZRDUS Smoke Black 60g 6.5 (D1 Setting, STD Fade)
    Titleist 917F2 - 15*, Diamana S+ LTD 80TX (B1 Setting, 16g Fade)
    Titleist 818 H1 - 19*, Tensei Pro White 90TX (B1 Setting, 12g Fade)
    Titleist 716 T-MB 4-iron - KBS C-Taper 130x
    Titleist 716 T-MB 5-9-iron - DG AMT x100
    Titleist 718 AP2 PW, 50* - DG AMT x100
    Titleist SM7 55* S-Grind - DG AMT x100
    Titleist SM2 59.12* - DG Tour Issue x100
    Evnroll ER6-B
    Bridgestone Tour BX
    Titleist Staff Stand Bag
  • grm24grm24 Western PAMembers Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jan 20, 2019 9:18pm #33

Callaway has Chrome Soft/Soft X balls that use the alignment aid that's on the ERC Soft. They are on the USGA conforming ball list. I doubt Phil was using the ERC Soft.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • HertsjoatmonHertsjoatmon A in golf theory, D- in golf practical HertfordshireMembers Posts: 241 ✭✭✭
    Its all about the Magna for me. Most new balls are tiny increments of difference from the predecessors or its competition (although the 3 stripe alignment seems good as a 2 ball putter user,.. I'm all about alignment).

A ball that has the potential to make the barrier to entry even a tiny bit less difficult is a big plus for me as someone who hasn't played long, plays with single digit handicappers through work and is trying to get a few more of his mates involved in the game beyond just going to TopGolf.

The big question for me is how much spin is imparted on mishits. Is it going to accentuate a slice off the tee (im an e6 user)? And if so, is it sitting up higher on the second shot going to be enough to compensate for that? Not to mention putting...

10.5 - Driver - Callaway GBB (animal style) - Speeder 665 R  @ 44.5" [long T]
    16 - Mini Dr - Bertha Mini 1.5 - Motore 70 R @ 42.5" [safe T]
    24 - 5 iron - Ping G crossover - Alta 75 R @ 39" [short safe T] / [long fade shots]

20 - Fairway - Big Bertha - Kuru Kage Silver 70 R @ 41" - D2
    25 - Hybrid - Big Bertha OS - Kuru Kage Silver 80 R 39" D1.5
    7-PW - Taylormade M CGB - Ping AWT 2.0 R - D1-2
    48/53/58/64 - wedges - Ping G / Ping Eye 2+ / Cleveland Smart Sole 3.0 s / Callaway Sure Out - AWT 2.0 W shafts
    Odyssey O’Works 2 Ball fang - currently choosing a ball to suit the new irons – Sun Mountain Combo Cart / Bag
    90-95mph Driver swing speed (up 5-10mph from last year)

• Phil’s ball was the new chrome soft x. Have the model of the ball under the Callaway logo with the alignment aid is going to be the design going forward. Can’t wait to try the newest chrome soft balls.
  • Tanner25Tanner25 Members Posts: 6,335 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jan 22, 2019 8:28pm #36

Its all about the Magna for me. Most new balls are tiny increments of difference from the predecessors or its competition (although the 3 stripe alignment seems good as a 2 ball putter user,.. I'm all about alignment).

A ball that has the potential to make the barrier to entry even a tiny bit less difficult is a big plus for me as someone who hasn't played long, plays with single digit handicappers through work and is trying to get a few more of his mates involved in the game beyond just going to TopGolf.

The big question for me is how much spin is imparted on mishits. Is it going to accentuate a slice off the tee (im an e6 user)? And if so, is it sitting up higher on the second shot going to be enough to compensate for that? Not to mention putting...

Not sure about the Magna just yet. But, can't wait to find out. Will the ball play/feel similar to the SuperSoft and just be a little easier to hit? How will it feel? 16 days away! Unless some golf sales people or retailers who have played the ball can chime in now. If I like it, what will I do with my new two dozen balls of QST? I broke my own rule. Never buy more than a dozen balls of any kind. There's always something more interesting coming around the corner.
  • GolfChannelGolfChannel Orlando, FloridaMembers Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, it was the new Chromesoft X with the ERC alignment aids. The Equipment Junkie corrected their report on Instagram.
    Driver: He who shall not be named...
    3 Wood: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Blue Evenflow 75
    5 Wood: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Blue Evenflow 75
    Irons: Ping iBlade Nippon AWT 2.0 Stiff
    Wedges: Callaway MD3 50, 54, and Honma TW737 Forged 62
    Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
    Ball: Srixon Z-Star 2018 (Yellow)
  • bulls9999bulls9999 Members Posts: 746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jan 23, 2019 9:24am #38
    With the new Callaway ERC Chrome-Soft ball touting a 35-compression as well as being 'longest', what has changed from when 100-compression balls hit only by the high swing speed golfers were the longest? The compression ratings for 'long balls' has seemingly flipped? Why is that?
    GHIN Index 13.8
  • HertsjoatmonHertsjoatmon A in golf theory, D- in golf practical HertfordshireMembers Posts: 241 ✭✭✭
    My guess is new materials. I'm assuming that older harder balls needed to be firm so that when compressed they rebounded back to their natural position as quickly as possible. With modern composites, a material does not need to be as dense in order to return to its natural state. That and experimenting with different materials in different layers of the core to establish the best compromise between distance, driver spin and short game spin as well as feel. But that's a complete guess on my part...

10.5 - Driver - Callaway GBB (animal style) - Speeder 665 R  @ 44.5" [long T]
    16 - Mini Dr - Bertha Mini 1.5 - Motore 70 R @ 42.5" [safe T]
    24 - 5 iron - Ping G crossover - Alta 75 R @ 39" [short safe T] / [long fade shots]

20 - Fairway - Big Bertha - Kuru Kage Silver 70 R @ 41" - D2
    25 - Hybrid - Big Bertha OS - Kuru Kage Silver 80 R 39" D1.5
    7-PW - Taylormade M CGB - Ping AWT 2.0 R - D1-2
    48/53/58/64 - wedges - Ping G / Ping Eye 2+ / Cleveland Smart Sole 3.0 s / Callaway Sure Out - AWT 2.0 W shafts
    Odyssey O’Works 2 Ball fang - currently choosing a ball to suit the new irons – Sun Mountain Combo Cart / Bag
    90-95mph Driver swing speed (up 5-10mph from last year)

• the bishopthe bishop Members Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, it was the new Chromesoft X with the ERC alignment aids. The Equipment Junkie corrected their report on Instagram.

But it was confirmed! (till it wasn't)
    Dynacraft Avatar Evolution  V2 High Launch - S
    W/S C300 15* Fuji Speeder Pro - S
    W/S C300 20*/23* Fuji Speeder Pro - S
    W/S Fi5 5-P  DGS300
    W/S PMP 52/56/60  KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
    Scotty Newport Pro Platinum
  • erock9174erock9174 North Canton, OHMembers Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    bulls9999 wrote:

With the new Callaway ERC Chrome-Soft ball touting a 35-compression as well as being 'longest', what has changed from when 100-compression balls hit only by the high swing speed golfers were the longest? The compression ratings for 'long balls' has seemingly flipped? Why is that?

I’ve heard 60 compression from Jason Finley at Callaway.

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash 12* | Even Flow Green 55
    Hybrids: Cobra King OS 3/4 | 4/5 | Recoil 460 ES
    Irons: Ping G700 6-UW | Modus 105
    Wedges: Cleveland CBX 56*/60* - Callaway Sure Out 64*
    Putter: Ping Sigma 2 Tyne 4 Platinum

Handicap: 10.5

erock9174 wrote:

bulls9999 wrote:

I've heard 60 compression from Jason Finley at Callaway.

How about the compression for the Magna?
  • erock9174erock9174 North Canton, OHMembers Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Tanner25 wrote:

erock9174 wrote:

bulls9999 wrote:

I messaged Jason Finley from Callaway and he said both the Magna and Supersoft 2019 balls are 35 compression.

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash 12* | Even Flow Green 55
    Hybrids: Cobra King OS 3/4 | 4/5 | Recoil 460 ES
    Irons: Ping G700 6-UW | Modus 105
    Wedges: Cleveland CBX 56*/60* - Callaway Sure Out 64*
    Putter: Ping Sigma 2 Tyne 4 Platinum

Handicap: 10.5

• BY#99BY#99 Members Posts: 329 ✭✭✭✭
    So I am not sure about the ERC ball. A ball without a urethane cover for $39.99? That seems like a high price point when premium urethanes are only a few dollars more and Taylormade and Srixon (maybe more?) have urethane offerings for cheaper. I am not sure what the deal is with the “hybrid” cover and why Callaway just will not tell you what it is. I do not see it on their website so not sure. For me, the price is a non-starter and the alignment lines are a turn off for me. Will be interesting to see the feedback on this ball though.
    erock9174 wrote:

Tanner25 wrote:

erock9174 wrote:

bulls9999 wrote:

I messaged Jason Finley from Callaway and he said both the Magna and Supersoft 2019 balls are 35 compression.

cool
  • lspky_muskielspky_muskie Members Posts: 927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really like how the ERC feels with the putter and the alignment aid seems to help. Looked at buying a dozen today, but the printing quality on the lines was all over the place. If I’m going to spend $40 on a ball, they need to look perfect.
  • MaineMarinerMaineMariner Members Posts: 435 ✭✭✭✭
    I had a coupon and some gift card money so I bought a box of the ERC Soft.

I can only putt with them on my carpet, and it might be my imagination, but they don't feel terribly premium. They seem fairly clicky off the putter head.

On the other hand, I LOOOOVE the alignment lines. I hope the Chrome Soft with the triple track lines makes it to the retail market. Even if not, I might need to start marking all my balls in this manner.
    TaylorMade Original One Mini Driver, 13 deg., Fujikura ATMOS Red
    Callaway Rogue 3 Wood, Project X EvenFlow Blue 75
    Srixon Z H45 3 & 4 hybrid, Kuro Kage Black
    Srixon Z 565 irons, 5 - AW, Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120
    Callaway MD3 Milled S Grind 54 deg.
    Callaway Mac Daddy PM Grind 58 deg.
    Odyssey Arm Lock Double Wide, Rosemark 7Teen grip / Odyssey O-Works Black Jailbird Mini S, Rosemark 1.52 grip
  • jesusdelallatajesusdelallata Members Posts: 194 ✭✭
    I bought a box because I had some rewards at Golf Galaxy but won’t be able to play until next weekend. However I agree with the previous post that the balls seem a little on the clicky side with my Scotty Cameron putter. I was expecting soft like the Tour Soft but I’ll hold myself from completely judging until I play a full round. I also agree that the lines are really cool. better than I thought they would be.
    Driver - Callaway Rogue
    3w - Callaway Rogue
    5w - Callaway Rogue
    Irons (GW - 4i) - Callaway Rogue
    Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport
    Wedges Callaway Mack Daddy 4 - 54 and 60 degrees

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file