Chicken wing follow through

Saltire ·  
SaltireSaltire Members  474WRX Points: 59Posts: 474 Greens
does it always have to be caused by a steep downswing? I'm pretty certain my downswing plane is not steep however I have a tendency to shorten (bend) the left arm through impact which generally results in a thin or bottom strike.

Are there any common issues that may cause this or can it be a fault of it's own? I tried a drill where I release the right hand from the grip post impact, practice swing only, and got a better feel of release when doing this. I transitioned this to hitting balls with a very loose right hand and hit a few decent shots. Any suggestions on this greatly appreciated.
Posted:

Comments

• MonteScheinblumMonteScheinblum Rebellion Golf Southern CaliforniaMembers  18835WRX Points: 1,442Posts: 18,835 Titanium Tees
    There are many issues that can cause it. Swing bottom too far back, right elbow trailing, etc.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • SaltireSaltire Members  474WRX Points: 59Posts: 474 Greens
    Elbow trailing sounds suspiciously like that could be me. I’ve started using a smart ball to keep the elbows together, will this help? I suppose leading with the right elbow could be another?
    Posted:
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX  25361WRX Points: 2,500Handicap: 2 ManyPosts: 25,361 ClubWRX
    Wings...sheesh...now I'm hungry. Thanks.
    Posted:
  • m66m66 Members  20WRX Points: 8Posts: 20 Bunkers
    Most common causes for chicken wing are path (over the top) or a follow through that largely involves the upper body and minimizes hip turn.
    Posted:
  • MonteScheinblumMonteScheinblum Rebellion Golf Southern CaliforniaMembers  18835WRX Points: 1,442Posts: 18,835 Titanium Tees
    m66 wrote:

Most common causes for chicken wing are path (over the top) or a follow through that largely involves the upper body and minimizes hip turn.

Actually, many times it’s the opposite of all that. Depends on skill level of player. Often lower body fires early and incorrectly out of sequence, right elbow trails, and left elbow has to pull to avoid hitting behind it too far from the inside or hitting a hook. Spieth is an example of this.

Saltire wrote:

Elbow trailing sounds suspiciously like that could be me. I’ve started using a smart ball to keep the elbows together, will this help? I suppose leading with the right elbow could be another?

Smart ball is a winner for this.
    Posted:
  • SaltireSaltire Members  474WRX Points: 59Posts: 474 Greens
    m66 wrote:

Actually, many times it’s the opposite of all that. Depends on skill level of player. Often lower body fires early and incorrectly out of sequence, right elbow trails, and left elbow has to pull to avoid hitting behind it too far from the inside or hitting a hook. Spieth is an example of this.
    Saltire wrote:

Smart ball is a winner for this.

Thanks Monte, good insight here. I didn’t realise this was a reason for the right elbow to trail. For info I float around a 6 handicap.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • mudgemudge Members  243WRX Points: 63Handicap: n/aPosts: 243 Fairways
    One potential factor that I haven't heard many instructors mention (only Malaska) is not creating room for the arms to swing through setup, backswing and/or downswing movements.
    Posted:
    mudge wrote:

One potential factor that I haven't heard many instructors mention (only Malaska) is not creating room for the arms to swing through setup, backswing and/or downswing movements.

For sure. Say it during lessons often.
    Posted:

mudge wrote:

I've been to 3 of your clinics, bought your D4D video, and seen every video you've done with Brendon on BBG and I don't recall you saying that once lol.
    Posted:
    mudge wrote:

mudge wrote:

I've been to 3 of your clinics, bought your D4D video, and seen every video you've done with Brendon on BBG and I don't recall you saying that once lol.

You’re not paying attention then :-)

Here is one just last week.

Posted:

mudge wrote:

mudge wrote:

You’re not paying attention then :-)

Here is one just last week.

https://www.instagra...id=k439hkyx59r0

I saw that one image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.