2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

POLL - Ever had a club(s) stolen at a golf course?

T-3

Have you ever had a club(s) stolen while at a golf course? Not including if they were stolen out of your car parked at a random location or from your house. I'm just curious about the prevalence of this at the course.

If so, what were the circumstances?

Here are some questions to consider that might be useful to the rest of us seeking to avoid this:

Were you using OEM headcovers?

How long did you leave your bag unattended?

Public or private course?

Location (bag drop, car, driving range, etc.)

Obviously, please don't post anything that could be used as a tip for would-be thieves!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last year I left a wedge by a green. Went back for it and asked the two groups behind us and they said they hadn’t picked one up. Checked with the clubhouse after the round and it was never turned in. Asked about 2 weeks later and no one ever did. Not sure if this counts as I did leave it behind like an idiot, but you’d think someone would have the decency to turn it in.

Around 2005 or so, played a round at a public course. The bag guy wiped my clubs down, and placed them on bag rack as I went to get my car. When I got to bag rack, bag was there, but my MP-33's, 2 thru PW were gone. Callaway driver and 3 wood, two Titleist wedges, and Ping putter were still in the bag- only the iron set was gone. I wasn't away from the bag five minutes. No cameras, my playing partner and I ran around, checked guys in parking lot. I got a police report, but never saw the irons again.

Titleist TSi4 9.75 HZRDUS Smoke 
Titleist 915F 15.5 HZRDUS Smoke
Titleist U500 3 iron
Titleist 718CB 4 thru PW
Titleist Vokey SM7 50-08, 54-08, 58-08

Scotty Cameron Phantom X6

About 2004 or maybe earlier when the club came out, my trusty Hogan hybrid edge cft titanium

Callaway Paradym TD “S” 420cc 8.5. @ 45.5”

Driver Shafts: Project X Evenflow Riptide MX 60TX & MCA Kai’Li White 70X

Mizuno ST Max 230 12.0 Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 6.5 @ 45.25”
ON ORDER: Mizuno ST Max 230 15.0 Mitsubishi Rayon Kai’Li Blue 70X

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 19.0 @ 17.0 UST Lin-Q Blue 75 F5

ON ORDER: Mizuno Pro 243 5-GW Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno T24 56/12S & 58/4X Nippon Modus Pro 120X

🤔 Titleist Vokey SM9 60 K Grind 

Rife Phenom.Z 34”

About 2004 or maybe earlier when the club came out, my trusty Hogan hybrid edge cft titanium

Those hybrids were awesome.

Around that time I worked at a nice private club and clubs even went missing there. Nothing was safe. We’d have member-guests and somewhere between the pro shop and valet, you could count on somebody missing their Titleist 975 driver or Cameron putter.

I remember members who kept their putters on them and take them back to their locker between rounds.

Headcovers for sure are a good way to say “I’m expensive, take me”.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1237994-my-carls-golfland-contest-fitting-experience-grab-a-drink/"]My Carl's Golfland / GolfWRX WITB story[/url]

Cobra F9, Atmos Black TS 6X
Titleist TS3 3w, Atmos Black TS 7s

Titleist 510 3i Atmos Black TS 9x
Srixon U85 4, z785 5-PW Modus 120x
Titleist Vokey SM5 50F/54M/58M, DG TIS400
EVNRoll ER5

Not denying that there's legit theft going on. Shifty cart attendants and fellow golfers do exist. GMR2iron is a perfect example of that. However, I think most "stolen clubs" are a case of inexperienced golfers not understanding what clubs are theirs.

I speculate they're not likely to be able to differentiate between bags and clubs. They're most likely to pick up wrong wedge at a green, wrong bag or even extra bag at drop and not even realize it. You could ask them if they found an extra club at the last green and wouldn't even realize they had. They don't understand the value clubs have to regular golfers and the embarrassment and/or an elapsed time frame prevents them from reporting if/when they realize their mistake.

I've found my wedges in a beginning playing partner's bag multiple times after asking "hey, anybody seen my wedge?" and they answer "no". They simply didn't recognize they had picked up a wedge that wasn't theirs and they now had an extra club in the bag.

Got mine stolen from the changing room, someone let a guy in who stole mine and another set, was a group of guys dressed for golf going round golf clubs trying their luck, amazing when you think about how easy it would be with sets lying everywhere.

Worst part was I worked in the pro shop at the time and I had 2 drivers and 2 3 woods in my bag (callaway ERC 2) can’t remember the other, only club I couldn’t replace as a scotty cameron classic which had grind marks on the bumpers.

I left a range finder in a cart at my club, where I was a member for a very long time. Having gone home I realized it was missing. I called the club, but no one turned it in. With respect to clubs, my set are lefthanded so it is probably less likely one of those would be stolen compared to a righthanded set. I do get concerned when I leave my clubs at a bag drop and leave them unattended while I check in at the pro shop. Have a Scotty in the bag? That would make me real nervous leaving my bag unattended for any length of time.

Here's a related story: A long time ago, a guy I worked with had a set of clubs stolen out of the trunk of his car. He went to the handful of golf shops in the area as well as the golf clubs. He asked them to be on the look out for someone trying to sell his clubs, which he described. Sure enough, a couple of kids showed up at a small golf shop that did club repair and sold new and used golf clubs, and wanted to sell them to the owner. The owner told them she wasn't interested but would contact a nearby country club pro shop who may be interested. She called the club, who was also aware of what was going on, and sent the kids there. The pro welcomed them, along with the local police. Busted!!!!

If I had a valuable club stolen from my bag, I would be on the look out on ebay or if there were pawn shops in the area I would be in touch with them.

I haven’t thankfully, sorry to hear about your guys stories and have heard plenty of other bad ones as well.

I did have a custom sunfish hybrid headcover fall of and asked the pro shop to let me know if it ever was turned in ($35 each for those so I was bummed). Well I am playing at the sister course and one of the marshals from the course where I lost my headcover is playing ahead of me, so I ask to join. lol and behold, guess what is on his titleist hybrid??? I just straight up said, “ that’s my headcover can I have it back.” He was stunned and red handed because it matched my driver and 3 wood, lol. He even tried to say “what are you going to give me for it.” I said, “I don’t think i need to give you anything for what is mine this should have been turned in.” Silence. He played one more hole with me then ended up leaving. The guy is a jerk so it actually was a pretty funny experience

Yes. A LW (Vokey SM4) out of my bag when I was in the clubhouse.

I know because I swapped to my carry bag from my staff bag and saw it that morning...

And it was gone BEFORE the round.

Titleist TSR3 - 9* - Ventus TR Black 6x

Callaway Rogue LS - 15* - Tour ADXC 7x

Callaway Apex UW - 19* - Ventus Black 7x

PXG 0311P Gen6 - 5i-GW - DG x100

Vokey SM9 - 52.12F, 56.14F - KBS Tour 120 Wedge

Vokey SM9 - 60.08M - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

L.A.B Link.1
Callaway Chrome Soft TruTrack (Winter)
Vessel Player III - Citrine/White/Black (Riding)
Vessel VLS DXR - Grey/Orange (Walking/half-bag)

Rarely happens if you handle your clubs yourself. No attendant touches mine. I’m polite. But I say no. And I don’t go inside and leave mine out . I usually drop mine inside the pro shop behind the counter or take to my car if I’m going inside the grille. Always stories from the high end clubs. The ones who frown on you handling your own stuff.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I had a rangefinder taken off of my bag while I was posting a score in the pro shop.

Here’s an old thread about this same topic:

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1142607-stolen-clubs-nashville/

Ping G400 Max Tour AD DI

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

Not denying that there's legit theft going on. Shifty cart attendants and fellow golfers do exist. GMR2iron is a perfect example of that. However, I think most "stolen clubs" are a case of inexperienced golfers not understanding what clubs are theirs.

I speculate they're not likely to be able to differentiate between bags and clubs. They're most likely to pick up wrong wedge at a green, wrong bag or even extra bag at drop and not even realize it. You could ask them if they found an extra club at the last green and wouldn't even realize they had. They don't understand the value clubs have to regular golfers and the embarrassment and/or an elapsed time frame prevents them from reporting if/when they realize their mistake.

I've found my wedges in a beginning playing partner's bag multiple times after asking "hey, anybody seen my wedge?" and they answer "no". They simply didn't recognize they had picked up a wedge that wasn't theirs and they now had an extra club in the bag.

I'm sorry, but no. No one on a course is that inexperienced not to know that a Vokey is different than their bag set.

Some yrs. ago I was in the parking lot at a course in Va. While my buddies and I were unloading our golf bags from my truck a guy pulls in beside us. He pulls out his NC Tarheels bag and sits it beside his vehicle. I pulled out my MD Terps bag and set it beside his. We had a little conversation while we were putting on our shoes. The bag drop off is at the end of the parking lot and you have to walk down some steps and go into the clubhouse to check in. I carried my bag down the steps and set it by the door so I could see it while I checked in. An employee comes over to me and tells me I have to leave my bag up at the bag drop. While I was voicing my opinion of the bag drop a pickup truck pulls up to the bag drop, a passenger gets out, grabs the guy's Tarheel bag and another bag, puts them in the bed of the truck and speeds off. I start yelling because I knew the guy with the Tarheel bag was inside the clubhouse. Luckly with me yelling they stole some golf bags someone got a good look at the truck. I found out at the turn the police caught the guys out on the highway. I also found out they had been doing this for a while at this course. I always keep my bag in sight when I check in. Some of the bag drops at courses are perfect for pull ups, grab and drive offs.

I had my bag in front of our restaurant and someone stole the whole bag.

Public course.

A year later I see a guy carrying a Royal Grip logoed Ping golf bag. Back then there was only 2 in my state. Mine and the guy that gave me the bag.

Guy pulls out a Great Big Bertha driver with a Grafalloy shaft that I put in my driver, and it had my idiot marks on the top.

My irons, my wedges....

A couple buddies and I approached the guy, and he says he bought the clubs from his cousin.

We use split tees at our course, so he went off the back, I went off the front.

As I was playing, one of members who is also a town cop came up to our group. I told him the story and how I wanted to take my bag back. He said I could have been in trouble if I did that. He went looking for the guy, but he must have quit a few holes early. He was no where to be found.

My insurance company paid the claim.

Have not been a victim of this but I know plenty that have. Mostly public or semi-private facilities......knew several people who were subject to the bag drop drive by. Bag drop areas are popular targets as they are easily accessible from quick exit points by vehicle in most cases. Knew one guy who had his truck bed cover broken into after a round in the club parking lot. Entire set was stolen in less than 10 minutes.....we were only about 100 ft away settling bets in another area of the same parking lot when it happened. At one course I frequented, there were several occasions where bags were getting taken from one end of the fu**ing driving range. Don't get me wrong, these people(the victims) were leaving their clubs unattended and going to the bar periodically to grab a drink or a snack and then returning to their spot on the range minutes later so I suppose it created the perfect opportunity for anyone looking to make the grab in the middle of a weekday with very few, if any, bystanders present. Regardless of the circumstances, still a horrible experience that no one should have to deal with.

Nope. I have found a lot of stuff while golfing. Wedges, headcovers, rangefinders, cigar cutters/lighters, jewelry, cell phone. Small stuff. Always turn it in. Have never personally had anything lifted off my bag or left a club behind. It will happen sooner or later.

[b][color=#8b4513]Wyoming[/color] [color=#ffd700]Cowboys[/color][/b]

Had a Scotty ripped from my bag about 5 years ago after a scramble tourney. Bag was never farther than 10 feet from me, but I had my back turned to it most of the time. I am sure the head cover was an a****** magnet.

Titleist TS3 Tensei Pro White
Titleist 917f2 Diamana Whiteboard
TM Rescue09
Mizuno MP-18SC TT AMT
Vokey SM7 Wedges 51, 56, 60
Scotty Newport 1.5 Custom
Titleist ProV1, Bridgestone BXs, KSig

Early 2000’s

Just bought a new irons & bag, funny story.

I had them custom made with purple ferrules & grips

I had taken a pic that I was going to post on my WITB on Golfwrx

I printed a stolen poster to put up at the course and the starter says, “You should put those at (golf shop x,y & z)”

So I did, about 10 days later a cop calls me and says he thinks he has my clubs and can I come down to Golf Shop X

I go straight there and the place is surrounded by cops. The thief is in a standoff with the cops, I later found out he was part

of a very successful burglary ring. After they caught him, they raided several rental storage facilities packed full of TV’s, jewelry computers, phones, bikes and golf clubs!

Had to wait 2 weeks, but I did get my clubs back.

Lead investigator said it was a good idea to make the clubs so unique.

Easy to identify

TM SIM Max 9* Tensei Orange 60
Titleist TS2 16.5 Motore X 75
Ping g400 20.5 DVS 85
Titleist 818H1 23* Diamana 90

Ping i500 5-7, iBlade 8-Pw 
Ping Glide 53, 58, Callaway 64*
Kevin Burns “Icemakr” custom
Stage IV MELANOMA SURVIVOR
“kids wear your sunscreen !!"

OG wrxer (check my member #)

I had my bag in front of our restaurant and someone stole the whole bag.

Public course.

A year later I see a guy carrying a Royal Grip logoed Ping golf bag. Back then there was only 2 in my state. Mine and the guy that gave me the bag.

Guy pulls out a Great Big Bertha driver with a Grafalloy shaft that I put in my driver, and it had my idiot marks on the top.

My irons, my wedges....

A couple buddies and I approached the guy, and he says he bought the clubs from his cousin.

We use split tees at our course, so he went off the back, I went off the front.

As I was playing, one of members who is also a town cop came up to our group. I told him the story and how I wanted to take my bag back. He said I could have been in trouble if I did that. He went looking for the guy, but he must have quit a few holes early. He was no where to be found.

My insurance company paid the claim.

Id have pressed the issue and whatever happened happened. Dollars to dog poop he’s the theif and never would have called anybody.

I’d have offered to pay him what he said he paid. I’d have calmly explained that was my bag of sticks and we were going to either figure it out. Or wait for the cops. Any innocent person on earth would have seen that as reasonable. My thinking comes from my bag of sticks , so a value that exceeds a misdemeanor easily. We aren’t talking a box set from sears.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Have not been a victim of this but I know plenty that have. Mostly public or semi-private facilities......knew several people who were subject to the bag drop drive by. Bag drop areas are popular targets as they are easily accessible from quick exit points by vehicle in most cases. Knew one guy who had his truck bed cover broken into after a round in the club parking lot. Entire set was stolen in less than 10 minutes.....we were only about 100 ft away settling bets in another area of the same parking lot when it happened. At one course I frequented, there were several occasions where bags were getting taken from one end of the fu**ing driving range. Don't get me wrong, these people(the victims) were leaving their clubs unattended and going to the bar periodically to grab a drink or a snack and then returning to their spot on the range minutes later so I suppose it created the perfect opportunity for anyone looking to make the grab in the middle of a weekday with very few, if any, bystanders present. Regardless of the circumstances, still a horrible experience that no one should have to deal with.

Makes you want to leave a bag out in the open .... and wait..... with a bat.....

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Never had any clubs diretly stolen, I try to never leave unattended. I did leave a no name wedge on the 18th green when I started playing golf about 20 years ago. I didn't realize until the following week. I called the pro shop and it wasn't turned. I laughed it off, since the club wasn't probably worth more than $2.

Callaway AI Smoke 10.5°(9.5°) - GD Tour AD IZ 5

Taylormade SIM2 TI 3W 15°(14°) - GD Tour AD DI 6 

Taylormade SIM2 TI 5W 19°(18°) - GD Tour AD UB 7

Mizuno Pro 245 HMP (4-pw) - DG120 S300

Vokey SM8 52°(50°) F Grind

Vokey SM8 56° M Grind

Vokey SM9 60° T Grind

Odyssey WH OG #7 Nano - Stroke Lab 3GEN Red

I'm glad all my clubs are old so there is a low chance it would be stolen. Another reason why I tend to game older clubs. My woods are covered with generic headcovers (albeit they're made from real leather from Sunfish).

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

Never had a club stolen but I have had a Scotty Cameron headcover taken.

The velcro on it had been going and it had come off between one green and the next. Assumed the group behind would have picked it up and passed it on to. Pathetically, the did pick it up but they disappeared from the course and the cover was gone.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

Lefty so that likely helps that I haven't had anything stolen.

It is amazing to me that people that would never dream of taking a club out of someones bag or stealing anything for that matter, are suddenly OK taking a wedge they find on a green?

Ping G400 LST 10 deg - Oban Kiyoshi White 04

Ping G400 16.5 deg - Oban Kiyoshi White 04

Ping i59 4-PW - PX IO 6.0, 1” long

Vokey SM7 Jet Black 52-56-60 

Scotty Cameron 2018 Newport 3

• 3 weeks later...