Single Length Updates (post'em up!)

OsnolaKinnard

Okay so I am so glad I made the switch starting last April. I had immediately improved results with the long irons when I switched, but it took a while to really be comfortable through the entire bag and just trust it. 10 months later I have hit an average of 78% of my greens over my last 4 rounds.

Long irons through PW feel comically easy now. If they would just make a 40" driver that felt like my irons I would be the happiest person in the world.

I have been especially improved by the low lofted King Forged Utility irons. I completely have ditched carrying a fw at this point. I hit the 2/3 iron set to 18* an average of 225 and can work it anyway I want. I also carry a 3/4 set to 21* and it is money at 210.

It took a long time to stand 225 out with a 37.25" club and not overswing it but now that I have it... My word.

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

I hate this site... the one part of my bag that I wasn't planning to touch was my irons, but after reading this thread they might not be safe.

My main concern is the 4/5/6 irons. I currently have approx 10 yard gaps at 195, 205, 215 (on good swings, including the roll). I'm worried that those will all end up bunched between 190-205 and I'll end up needing to replace the 4i with a King Utility or hybrid that can get up into that 210+ range.

My other concern is that multiple people have commented about how high their wedges go. Playing here along the gulf coast it can get super windy, so I need to be able to control trajectory and wedge distance.

I love the idea of simplifying my limited practice time. I have also been working a lot on taking extra club and using 3/4 swings for better control, which seems like it would work even better with SL clubs. The simpler chipping approach also sounds great.

Yep. You have legit concerns. I just got a SL Cobra Forged set to satisfy my curiosity. Only had them on a sim for a few hours so far but you are correct.... the wedges go higher and the long irons lower and shorter. Yardage gaps are bunched. Consistency was good though and I still want to see them on the course. Tinkering/trying stuff is fun for me and this is a fun test.

I haven’t noticed any gap bunching yet. I hit 2 large buckets and hit every club. I had very traditional gapping. 8-10 yard gaps seemed very normal to me. I could also hit my low irons just as high as my previous gamers or at least very close. It could be the paderson shafts as well. Very smooth with a nice kick at the bottom. I will say that I could hit my scoring irons a bit higher than my previous gamers, but distances were not affected at all.

G430 Max 10K

HiBore 2w “Unicorn”

G410 3w & 3h

ZX7 MKII 4-A

Glide 4.0 54 & 58

Jailbird 380

Update on the one length commitment:

JumboMax Grips

- I’m a size large glove

- Bought 13 mediums (tour model) and put them on all my clubs

- Felt great (nice a tacky) and the larger size felt good in hands

- Also got a Sun Mountain 14 way divider to guard against tangle

- Medium BARELY fits in some of the dividers that run along the perimeter. Especially bottom row, each far end

- After 3 rounds, 3 big range sessions (like 200+ balls each) and a 1 lesson I put Tour Velvet Midsize back-on.

- Primary reason was my left/top hand would get sore in my last 3 fingers. May be I wasn’t gripping them correctly in my lifeline but it hurt/emitted some finger pain for 2 days after each round.

- I am very wristy with my takeaway and was hoping the larger grip would help but it didn’t for me. The drills I am doing are tho, lol.

- Cool product and glad I tried it. Just didn’t work out.

- Standard grips caused sore wrists over time, JumboMax MD sore fingers. Midsize seems just right.

Wedges

- Edel SW has been nice for square chipping. I use it for more running chips and anything that doesn’t need stop on a dime. Also goes nice and high for 80-100 yard approaches. It is a little chunky so I have yet to open face flop it during a round. That said, I’ve been able to open and get under it on driving range matts no problem.

- Bagged the Cobra Black One Length 60. Got some length (37.75) as my Edels and s400 shaft to close to comparable swing weight. Really nice out of the sand and for green side. The blade look looks more open than the Edel SW so may end up using this more often green side. Also - the Black finish is sexy and seems durable. Definitely can flop shot with it.

Overall: too soon to tell and way too soon to bail

- have had a bad last few round (99 and 2 stop keeping scores) because my swing has gone on vacation, leaving me to dance with el hosel. That said, I’d be shooting the same thing with any club.

- looking forward to getting the swing back so I can really see if I am better with one vs many lengths....also because Rickie won and I didn’t know previously that they existed, the VL CB/MB black set is a temptress like no other.

- loving the feel of the Edel face and shaft. My pure shots go higher and further than my old IBlades but need the pure shots to come more frequently

- still trusting the 4 iron (easier to hit than VL but still not easy for me just yet...chill swing like u guys say)

- Liking the consistent posture and longer wedges since I am tall

Update on the one length commitment:

JumboMax Grips

- I’m a size large glove

- Bought 13 mediums (tour model) and put them on all my clubs

- Felt great (nice a tacky) and the larger size felt good in hands

- Also got a Sun Mountain 14 way divider to guard against tangle

- Medium BARELY fits in some of the dividers that run along the perimeter. Especially bottom row, each far end

- After 3 rounds, 3 big range sessions (like 200+ balls each) and a 1 lesson I put Tour Velvet Midsize back-on.

- Primary reason was my left/top hand would get sore in my last 3 fingers. May be I wasn’t gripping them correctly in my lifeline but it hurt/emitted some finger pain for 2 days after each round.

- I am very wristy with my takeaway and was hoping the larger grip would help but it didn’t for me. The drills I am doing are tho, lol.

- Cool product and glad I tried it. Just didn’t work out.

- Standard grips caused sore wrists over time, JumboMax MD sore fingers. Midsize seems just right.

Wedges

- Edel SW has been nice for square chipping. I use it for more running chips and anything that doesn’t need stop on a dime. Also goes nice and high for 80-100 yard approaches. It is a little chunky so I have yet to open face flop it during a round. That said, I’ve been able to open and get under it on driving range matts no problem.

- Bagged the Cobra Black One Length 60. Got some length (37.75) as my Edels and s400 shaft to close to comparable swing weight. Really nice out of the sand and for green side. The blade look looks more open than the Edel SW so may end up using this more often green side. Also - the Black finish is sexy and seems durable. Definitely can flop shot with it.

Overall: too soon to tell and way too soon to bail

- have had a bad last few round (99 and 2 stop keeping scores) because my swing has gone on vacation, leaving me to dance with el hosel. That said, I’d be shooting the same thing with any club.

- looking forward to getting the swing back so I can really see if I am better with one vs many lengths....also because Rickie won and I didn’t know previously that they existed, the VL CB/MB black set is a temptress like no other.

- loving the feel of the Edel face and shaft. My pure shots go higher and further than my old IBlades but need the pure shots to come more frequently

- still trusting the 4 iron (easier to hit than VL but still not easy for me just yet...chill swing like u guys say)

- Liking the consistent posture and longer wedges since I am tall

Instersting u were having pain, sorry to hear it. I had pain in my right hand pinky with them before I switched to a ten finger grip.

Bummer... but I'll buy em if u had them pulled

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

Just back from my first range session with the Pinhawks. What an absolute joy it is to practice with single length clubs. I messed around and went from 4 iron to LW to 7 iron to PW to 5 iron...literally the same swing. Was a lot of fun, and made practicing so much easier. Heads felt great, gapping was spot on at an average 12.5 yards between clubs. Zero complaints, and excited for my next session.

The biggest surprise was the grips. My miss has always been left. My bad miss is starting the ball 10 yards right and ending up 50 yards left. It'd be impossible to miss left with these grips right? I should be in block city and pushing the ball right all day right? NOPE. If I had to guess the grips had absolutely zero impact on ball flight. My good shots still drew, and my misses still snapped left. However, they felt amazing. So solid, zero movement, can't believe I had never tried these in the past. Using regular grips I'd tear holes in gloves, get blisters, one time playing in rain I tossed a driver damn near 50 yards. No way that's happening with these. Super solid and really felt connected.

This thread is great. I am slowly working towards embracing sl, but for now I am considering a baby step.

Background: I have the f9 vl at 1 inch long and 2 degrees upright. The lengths are 1/4 inch longer than my previous ap1's, which is fine, but the 5 and 4 go up 3/4 inch so now the 5 iron is the length of my old ap1 4 iron. I always struggled with a pull in the ap1 4 iron. I am similarly struggling with the f9 4 and 5, but the 6 feels very comfortable and is significantly more consistent.

Data: After a few sessions on foresight, f9 carry averages on good swings came out at 6-203, 5-217, 4-231 (g400 3 Hybrid was 234).

With the above in mind, I am considering adjusting 4 and 5 to the 6 length and lie, so 3/4 and 1.5 inch reductions. Shaft is c-taper s+. Because I have the 3 Hybrid, I have no concerns losing a few yards on the 4 and 5. What concerns should I consider? Any thought / insight appreciated from the experts contributing to this thread. I fully admit that I scanned a good deal of this thread, but could have missed a detailed discussion on this.

Keep up all the enthusiasm around sl, I will get there one day.

Rogue ST Max 9 Degree Tensei AV White 65x
G400 3 Wood Tour75x

Sub70 699U 2 Hzrdus Smoke 6.5
G400 3 Hybrid Tour85x
PXG 0211DC 5-GW Tour Elevate x
PXG 0311 52 & 58 Tour Elevate x
Taylormade Spider X

This thread is great. I am slowly working towards embracing sl, but for now I am considering a baby step.

Background: I have the f9 vl at 1 inch long and 2 degrees upright. The lengths are 1/4 inch longer than my previous ap1's, which is fine, but the 5 and 4 go up 3/4 inch so now the 5 iron is the length of my old ap1 4 iron. I always struggled with a pull in the ap1 4 iron. I am similarly struggling with the f9 4 and 5, but the 6 feels very comfortable and is significantly more consistent.

Data: After a few sessions on foresight, f9 carry averages on good swings came out at 6-203, 5-217, 4-231 (g400 3 Hybrid was 234).

With the above in mind, I am considering adjusting 4 and 5 to the 6 length and lie, so 3/4 and 1.5 inch reductions. Shaft is c-taper s+. Because I have the 3 Hybrid, I have no concerns losing a few yards on the 4 and 5. What concerns should I consider? Any thought / insight appreciated from the experts contributing to this thread. I fully admit that I scanned a good deal of this thread, but could have missed a detailed discussion on this.

DO not try to take VL iron heads and turn them into one length clubs. The headweights on one length 4 irons are going to be considerably heavier that on the variable length 4 iron for example. So when you cut them down they will be way to light to have anything like a comparable swingweight at that length and if you try to add that much weight back the weight distribution will be totally changed.

The only reason the concept works is because the wedge and 4 irons heads weigh the same and then at the same length feel the same. This is why you can swing them all like your 7 iron and the loft gaps take care of the distance for you.

If you try this what I think you will experience is real trouble with control and think that SL is not for you when it is simply that the clubs you used aren't made for this purpose.

WITB:

DO not try to take VL iron heads and turn them into one length clubs. The headweights on one length 4 irons are going to be considerably heavier that on the variable length 4 iron for example. So when you cut them down they will be way to light to have anything like a comparable swingweight at that length and if you try to add that much weight back the weight distribution will be totally changed.

The only reason the concept works is because the wedge and 4 irons heads weigh the same and then at the same length feel the same. This is why you can swing them all like your 7 iron and the loft gaps take care of the distance for you.

If you try this what I think you will experience is real trouble with control and think that SL is not for you when it is simply that the clubs you used aren't made for this purpose.

Thank you for the quick response. The length adjustments I would need, because I started 1 inch long, would put the 5 iron 1/4 longer and 4 iron 1/2 shorter than standard. How does Cobra control for standard swingweight on different lengths or do they not? I guess my question is really, if I sent to Cobra could the modify while keeping swingweight reasonable?

G400 3 Wood Tour75x

G400 3 Hybrid Tour85x
Taylormade Spider X

Thank you for the quick response. The length adjustments I would need, because I started 1 inch long, would put the 5 iron 1/4 longer and 4 iron 1/2 shorter than standard. How does Cobra control for standard swingweight on different lengths or do they not? I guess my question is really, if I sent to Cobra could the modify while keeping swingweight reasonable?

Call and ask them directly. They are very easy to deal with on this kind of stuff and their turnaround time on stuff I have had them do for me has been like 2-3 days.

Phone: (800) 917-3300, option 4

WITB:

Call and ask them directly. They are very easy to deal with on this kind of stuff and their turnaround time on stuff I have had them do for me has been like 2-3 days.

Phone: (800) 917-3300, option 4

Wil do. Thanks again.

G400 3 Wood Tour75x

G400 3 Hybrid Tour85x
Taylormade Spider X

Another question for all the SL users. Did you get your clubs at what you've previously been fit into?

Like I've been fit into Pings at blue dot, + 0.5". Is that what you ordered your SL at? Or were you fit into them differently?

G430 LST 10.5* - G430 Max 15* - Cobra Baffler 17.5*- Sub 70 Pro 20* & 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58*  - F22

Another question for all the SL users. Did you get your clubs at what you've previously been fit into?

Like I've been fit into Pings at blue dot, + 0.5". Is that what you ordered your SL at? Or were you fit into them differently?

My previous set of irons was a set of Callaway X18's with real deal Royal Precision Rifle 6.0 shafts, they are based off a 39" 5 iron and 3* upright...so +1" over 'standard'.

My Edel SLS 01 irons are 37.5" long...or the same as my old +1" 8 iron or a standard 6 iron. I have them with a 64* lie angle which is 2* upright, I also have 274 gram heads. using the 12 gram weight.

I was not surprised by those specs. I was surprised that the Paderson Shafts that yielded the best feel/sound/results were the 95 gram shafts. I have always liked heavier clubs and the RP Rifles I had were like 130 or so grams. I expected to be in the 115 gram shafts...and I did like them, but the proof was in the pudding with the 95's.

Got a full round in with my Edel's and the SL experience.

Easiest way to explain my experience so far is amazing. There has been zero issues adjusting to SL irons and hybrids.

Shot -4 today. Best round of the year so far. Hit 14/18 GIR and the one's I missed were within 5 feet of the green. The longer LW has been great around the green as well. All 5 missed greens resulted in either tap-ins or easy putts. I've found it easy to flight the ball as well. All my irons are 37.5". I even hit some nice knockdown shots today in some pretty nasty weather. It's amazing that my confidence has already grown to the point that I'm just trying to find the fairway with my driver or tee ball. I hope this continues because it really simplifies the game in ways I had never thought imaginable on my end.

G430 Max 10K

HiBore 2w “Unicorn”

G410 3w & 3h

ZX7 MKII 4-A

Glide 4.0 54 & 58

Jailbird 380

Took my SL set to a launch monitor yesterday and almost scared myself a little...

As I expect the short irons where long, the PW was around 8 yards longer than my MP-18. 8 thru 5 where pretty close (any difference could easily be contributed to a poor swing). The 4 iron was shorter and the 3 iron was really struggling, around 8 yards short and I really had to step on it and hit a draw to get there. My problem is that I'm not a huge fan of fairway woods and hybrids so I can see a struggle with the top end of my bag. i think the low end will work out ok I just need to practice on that.

So an interesting day and one that muddied the water for me a little.

Got some thinking and practicing to do...

Took my SL set to a launch monitor yesterday and almost scared myself a little...

As I expect the short irons where long, the PW was around 8 yards longer than my MP-18. 8 thru 5 where pretty close (any difference could easily be contributed to a poor swing). The 4 iron was shorter and the 3 iron was really struggling, around 8 yards short and I really had to step on it and hit a draw to get there. My problem is that I'm not a huge fan of fairway woods and hybrids so I can see a struggle with the top end of my bag. i think the low end will work out ok I just need to practice on that.

I look at it as my one lengths are scoring clubs. I play 5-LW f7 one length, and have gotten so comfortable and consistent that any shot 185 and in I feel like my one lengths give me a chance to be on the green. Where I struggled, and I think others struggle are when you push the one lengths into the 3i and 4i lofts. I just think there is a diminishing return around 20 degrees and stronger for me. I guess the hybrid would fix this, but I hate hybrids. I went with a standard length 4 iron and 3w at the top of my bag and it works well.

I look at it as my one lengths are scoring clubs. I play 5-LW f7 one length, and have gotten so comfortable and consistent that any shot 185 and in I feel like my one lengths give me a chance to be on the green. Where I struggled, and I think others struggle are when you push the one lengths into the 3i and 4i lofts. I just think there is a diminishing return around 20 degrees and stronger for me. I guess the hybrid would fix this, but I hate hybrids. I went with a standard length 4 iron and 3w at the top of my bag and it works well.

I'm looking to get a F9 SL 4i to pair with the Cobra Black 5-G. Hopefully this keeps the longer end of my bag in shape. If not, I've got a 9031 23* hybrid that I've always hit well that can fill in that spot.

Thoughts?

G430 LST 10.5* - G430 Max 15* - Cobra Baffler 17.5*- Sub 70 Pro 20* & 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58*  - F22

Same, 2 degrees up. We checked during the fitting, of course, just to be sure. But it was the same.

Played again today. Another solid day. Finally hit a few gap bunched mid irons today. Didn’t kill me, but left me with much longer putts. The only struggle at all is at the top end. My 5i is about 15 yards shorter than previous set. Hybrids are about 10 yards shorter. Not any thing that cant be worked around. If I can make some 10-15 footers during the round, I will be playing some really good golf for me. Worked a bit today on single plane swing and it was working well with this setup.

G430 Max 10K

HiBore 2w “Unicorn”

G410 3w & 3h

ZX7 MKII 4-A

Glide 4.0 54 & 58

Jailbird 380

Anyone else using single plane swing with your SL irons?

I'm thinking of tweaking a bit because it just seems like a much more repeatable swing to me.

I switched to SP prior to getting SL irons. It was a very easy switch for me to make. I already held a golf club like a baseball bat, so why the heck not swing a club like a bat? I have given up zero distance, gained a lot of confidence and consistency, and combined with SL irons...was a good choice for me.

I am a fan of Kirk Junge/Moe Norman and also follow the old 'LAWS of Golf' principles for 'width/wide' players.

just ordered sls sand wedge, can't wait for it to get here, probably gonna be more for full shots than anything else, looking at maybe the cobra lob wedge for around the greens or trying a lighter shaft to lengthen my current sand wedge. Hate to say but I almost feel like the bag is almost set........hahahahaha who am I kidding

905t

steelhead xr heavenwood, 9 wood

eye2 becu

hoganardi baby ben currently

always hoing the next best thing

Well that wasn't great! Haha.

I hit 14 real approach shots today.

Only 4 where acceptable (one great 6 iron from 170 to 2 feet)

3 where OK and playable

7 of them where miss-hits and put resulted in dropped shots

Playing again tomorrow and tempted to go back to VL but I'm out of the tournament so I'll give the SL a go again. Then a couple of other smaller tournaments before the qualifiers start in late March. Need to see an improvement over todays performance.

Well that wasn't great! Haha.

I hit 14 real approach shots today.

Only 4 where acceptable (one great 6 iron from 170 to 2 feet)

3 where OK and playable

7 of them where miss-hits and put resulted in dropped shots

Playing again tomorrow and tempted to go back to VL but I'm out of the tournament so I'll give the SL a go again. Then a couple of other smaller tournaments before the qualifiers start in late March. Need to see an improvement over todays performance.

For a scratch handicap, seven miss-hits sounds like a fitting issue. No way that should happen. If you told me you hit the short irons long and the long irons short, or you didn't like the launch angles, or you couldn't work the ball well enough, I'd say SL wasn't for you. But, miss-hits? There's something wrong there. Job #1 for any fitter is to maximize the proportion of center strikes. If that's not happening, your fitter failed, pure and simple.

It's hard to go SL when you swap back and forth between SL and VL. I didn't see consistent performance and improvement until I stuck with it. I'll never go back...

Bag: Ping Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Driver: TM SIM2 Max 9* Hybrids: Cobra RAD Speed 19* & 25* Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60* Putter: SGC WB Northwood Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

It's hard to go SL when you swap back and forth between SL and VL. I didn't see consistent performance and improvement until I stuck with it. I'll never go back...

I won't say never... But it is appearing very unlikely. If you are struggling with them it is likely between the ears... Just not trusting it.

WITB:

I won't say never... But it is appearing very unlikely. If you are struggling with them it is likely between the ears... Just not trusting it.

I would do the following drill at the range when I first got my SLS01's.

I would hit each club one time from GW to 5 Iron and Back down again, concentrating on making the same swing, same ball position, same everything, and it helped me tremendously when I first got my irons. Even if I thinned it, fatted, it, whatever...I just went from one club to the next up and down the range of clubs.