2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Why don't people take lessons ?

J2putts

Because guys have their swing ingrained and even if an instructor makes some changes , they will probably eventually revert to their established original swing.

That’s why you take detailed notes of each lesson. So later on you can see the progression from your old swing to the new swing and you hopefully can follow the breadcrumbs to get it back if you lose it.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because guys have their swing ingrained and even if an instructor makes some changes , they will probably eventually revert to their established original swing.

That’s why you take detailed notes of each lesson. So later on you can see the progression from your old swing to the new swing and you hopefully can follow the breadcrumbs to get it back if you lose it.

Three things come to mind:

1) The cost - $100/hour minimum and 1 lesson would never be enough

2) Lack of trust finding the "right" coach - I'm older with some physical issues that affect my swing. Most of the instructors I see out on the range are half my age and so I question how much empathy and experience they can have working with someone like me.

3) Finding a coach whose SOP (or MO) is to tweak a few things rather than attempt to completely rebuild my swing based upon their perception of perfection.

But for $20/hour I would forget about points 2 and 3 and try some lessons.

Good Lord, guys...be honest, it's cost!

I used to teach guitar when I was a student. I taught at a local mom & pop shop that sold guitars and other music-related stuff. Our rates were $60/mo which meant that parents could easily budget for their kids to come in once a week and receive 30-minute lessons.

The full-time teachers worked a 40-hour week so they could theoretically accommodate 80 half-hour lessons or 80 students. The agreement was that teachers kept $45 out of the $60 and that $15 went to the store. This system meant that a full-time teacher would max out at $45 x 80 x 12 = $43k / yr. While that's not awesome by a lot of standards, it allowed full-time instructors to stay mostly booked up, which they liked.

For any musician in the early 2000s, a stable salary north of $40k was attractive. That was 15 years ago, too. Now I see similar programs charging $75-$100 per month. I bet that extra money only goes to the stores though. Our particular store owner was an ex-teacher so he was good about letting the money go straight to the instructors.

Anyway, the students in that scenario were essentially being charged $30 per hour. If we do that same math with someone who's charging $60, $80 or $100 per hour the "theoretical salary" gets ridiculous. In my experience, golf pros aren't making that kind of money because unlike the guitar instructor with their reasonable rates, the golf pros are starving for students.

If I could sign up for golf lessons that were reasonable in price, I'd do it in a heartbeat as a matter of course. Just having a good player's eyes on my swing would likely be worth that. But usually rates are $50 - $75 per lesson! That adds up fast. And I don't know what I'm paying for. Am I paying for the time it takes to walk from the clubhouse to the range? Am I paying for chit-chat? Is this guy going to stop dead at 30-minutes and go back to work behind the counter? It's not like your doctors are ever dying to spend extra time with you when you're there! I know that for me, I usually seem to end up spending about 30% of my time waiting, 20% talking to the scheduler, 30% in the room with the nurse/assistant and maybe 20% with the actual doctor.

So there's a worry about costs and benefits. That's all I'm saying.

I'll be working with an instructor this year but that's largely because financially, I'm doing okay right now. I can splurge. But if an instructor really wants to fill up his schedule, he's got to price himself so that it's not just a luxury for the more wealthy people who may come and go at his course.

The simple fact is that the common lesson packages you see priced at $300+ cannot be sustained by someone like myself. I'd like to do a weekly or bi-weekly lesson throughout the season and if they were $60-$75 per month I would, but damn, with the actual rates people are charging I'd end up spending thousands of dollars by the end of the year. F that.

TSR3 (9o) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2+ (14.5o 3w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

TSR2 (21o 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-Gw) (Nippon Modus3)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS

Good Lord, guys...be honest, it's cost!

I used to teach guitar when I was a student. I taught at a local mom & pop shop that sold guitars and other music-related stuff. Our rates were $60/mo which meant that parents could easily budget for their kids to come in once a week and receive 30-minute lessons.

The full-time teachers worked a 40-hour week so they could theoretically accommodate 80 half-hour lessons or 80 students. The agreement was that teachers kept $45 out of the $60 and that $15 went to the store. This system meant that a full-time teacher would max out at $45 x 80 x 12 = $43k / yr. While that's not awesome by a lot of standards, it allowed full-time instructors to stay mostly booked up, which they liked.

For any musician in the early 2000s, a stable salary north of $40k was attractive. That was 15 years ago, too. Now I see similar programs charging $75-$100 per month. I bet that extra money only goes to the stores though. Our particular store owner was an ex-teacher so he was good about letting the money go straight to the instructors.

Anyway, the students in that scenario were essentially being charged $30 per hour. If we do that same math with someone who's charging $60, $80 or $100 per hour the "theoretical salary" gets ridiculous. In my experience, golf pros aren't making that kind of money because unlike the guitar instructor with their reasonable rates, the golf pros are starving for students.

If I could sign up for golf lessons that were reasonable in price, I'd do it in a heartbeat as a matter of course. Just having a good player's eyes on my swing would likely be worth that. But usually rates are $50 - $75 per lesson! That adds up fast. And I don't know what I'm paying for. Am I paying for the time it takes to walk from the clubhouse to the range? Am I paying for chit-chat? Is this guy going to stop dead at 30-minutes and go back to work behind the counter? It's not like your doctors are ever dying to spend extra time with you when you're there! I know that for me, I usually seem to end up spending about 30% of my time waiting, 20% talking to the scheduler, 30% in the room with the nurse/assistant and maybe 20% with the actual doctor.

So there's a worry about costs and benefits. That's all I'm saying.

I'll be working with an instructor this year but that's largely because financially, I'm doing okay right now. I can splurge. But if an instructor really wants to fill up his schedule, he's got to price himself so that it's not just a luxury for the more wealthy people who may come and go at his course.

The simple fact is that the common lesson packages you see priced at $300+ cannot be sustained by someone like myself. I'd like to do a weekly or bi-weekly lesson throughout the season and if they were $60-$75 per month I would, but damn, with the actual rates people are charging I'd end up spending thousands of dollars by the end of the year. F that.

You don’t need weekly or biweekly lessons. One a month is sufficient. It takes time to change motor patterns. And plenty of teachers charging $150+ an hour teach more than 40 hours a week. The good ones aren’t starving for students. They have to turn them away at times

Perceived payoffs versus perceived investment.

The golfers see them having to put in too much money and too much of their time and effort and not seeing enough of a return (improved golf).

Most golfers that are 10+ handicaps are pretty satisfied if they can consistently get the ball airborne. But, getting the ball airborne consistently is not something they deem as enough of a benefit that they would pay extra money and put all of this extra time into trying to achieve.

To compound the problem, they think that getting the ball airborne consistently is just a case of 'keeping your head down.' It's not, but the perception is different and in the business world...perception becomes reality. And their thinking is 'I don't need an instructor to teach me to keep my head down.'

Thus, they'll never get lessons unless they cannot consistently get the ball airborne (or if they are hitting shanks). If they go to a teacher to start getting the ball consistently airborne...once that is accomplished they stop getting lessons because they don't think the rewards of getting beyond consistent airborne shots are great enough or they think they would have to invest and unreasonable amount of money and time to do so.

I don't believe these things are true, but again...perception becomes reality in the world of consumerism.

RH

Because a lesson may cost $50, whereas that new driver that promises lower scores costs $500. Wait, never mind.

Really, I think some people have a very fragile ego, and don't want to be told they are wrong, or are really self conscious about their game.

I've heard lots of new golfers say they want to get better first before taking a lesson, because they don't want to embarrass themselves in front of the Pro.

From being in the business over 20 years, this is a lot of it. The average golfer feels a lot of embarrassment and anxiety hitting in front of "experts". It's also the reason the majority of new clubs are sold off the rack. I hear it almost every day as to why golfers won't go through a proper fitting...they are too self conscious about their game/swing to do it.

I fit your stated criteria of a high index (20) golfer who is dedicated to improving. I'm either at the range or the course at least 5 times per week, working hard to improve and making no progress.

My experience, having seen at least 6 instructors over the past 5 years: Each time I try a new instructor, I ask them specifically to show me how to swing the club through the ball, as I truly feel I don't understand the basics of swinging from the top of the backswing through the ball. To a person, the response has always been "show me a few swings and we'll go from there". I suppose it's my fault for not being more emphatic and insisting. They then end up working on something like keeping my left arm straight, or getting my hands higher, etc. These may all be valid faults on my end, but they mean nothing to me if I feel like they're not addressing my core question, which is how to swing through the ball.

Try finding any published media (video, books, etc.), that make it very clear how to swing the club. I haven't been able to. At least not something I can make any sense of. Mike Malaska comes closest in his videos, although his method seems to get me very steep and lacking power.

So for me, it's become a matter of feeling like I'm wasting money. I'll likely keep trying different instructors, hoping I'll find one that can give me a swing feel that makes sense, but I'm becoming less confident that will happen.

I am fortunate that I found a great instructor right off the bat. I see him once a week from early December to beginning of March . I pay $50 an hour , and it's on trackman , in a heated bay , hitting out to range . So for me i find that very affordable and it keeps me swinging through new England winters. Even more valuable is that I shoot video back and forth to him, and there's a constant line communication. He has become so busy , that his rates went up, but pre-existing students rate stay the same. So perhaps my situation is pretty ideal in regards to others.

My experience, having seen at least 6 instructors over the past 5 years: Each time I try a new instructor, I ask them specifically to show me how to swing the club through the ball, as I truly feel I don't understand the basics of swinging from the top of the backswing through the ball. To a person, the response has always been "show me a few swings and we'll go from there". I suppose it's my fault for not being more emphatic and insisting. They then end up working on something like keeping my left arm straight, or getting my hands higher, etc. These may all be valid faults on my end, but they mean nothing to me if I feel like they're not addressing my core question, which is how to swing through the ball.

Try finding any published media (video, books, etc.), that make it very clear how to swing the club. I haven't been able to. At least not something I can make any sense of. Mike Malaska comes closest in his videos, although his method seems to get me very steep and lacking power.

So for me, it's become a matter of feeling like I'm wasting money. I'll likely keep trying different instructors, hoping I'll find one that can give me a swing feel that makes sense, but I'm becoming less confident that will happen.

BKN I totally agree.

I have stopped taking lessons becouse I have never noticed any improvmen in my swing.

After each lesson I have had the habit to write down what the Pro said and strangely all the Pros talked about different things, little things of no importance in my swing and no one mentioned anything about the really important stuff you must know for you to become a better golfer. Actually one Pro refused to answer my specific question that I had prepared about these more important parts of the swing.

I strongly belive that the Pros of PGA don´t want to teach us "hackers" a decent golfswing. At all cost they avoid teaching parts of the swing that really would make a difference. On internet there are instructors with no connection to PGA and they seem to be more free to speak about the swing.

Now, please investigate and do some thinking of your own.

The single most important thing to learn in golf is the common normal swing. You use it all the time with the driver, to transport the ball to get it onto the green and so on.

If you know how to execute this swing you will soon be a singleplayer. This swing is so important for every golfer that every golfmagasine should have at least one in deapth article about this swing every year. I mean they have 2-3 articles about putting, chipping or bunkershots every year so how come there is not one article abt the full swing. It´s really weard.

Now just find me one in deapth article about the normal swing, you can look in all golfmagasines and you can go back as manny year you want. Sadly you will not find anything except stack and tilt. Remember who´s writing instruction articles, well off course it´s the pros. And…..

The Pros don´t want to teach us hackers to be better golfers, they want to keep us ignorant at all cost.

I have stopped taking lessons becouse I have never noticed any improvmen in my swing.

After each lesson I have had the habit to write down what the Pro said and strangely all the Pros talked about different things, little things of no importance in my swing and no one mentioned anything about the really important stuff you must know for you to become a better golfer. Actually one Pro refused to answer my specific question that I had prepared about these more important parts of the swing.

I strongly belive that the Pros of PGA don´t want to teach us "hackers" a decent golfswing. At all cost they avoid teaching parts of the swing that really would make a difference. On internet there are instructors with no connection to PGA and they seem to be more free to speak about the swing.

Now, please investigate and do some thinking of your own.

The single most important thing to learn in golf is the common normal swing. You use it all the time with the driver, to transport the ball to get it onto the green and so on.

If you know how to execute this swing you will soon be a singleplayer. This swing is so important for every golfer that every golfmagasine should have at least one in deapth article about this swing every year. I mean they have 2-3 articles about putting, chipping or bunkershots every year so..........

Now just find me one in deapth article about the normal swing, you can look in all golfmagasines and you can go back as manny year you want. Sadly you will not find anything except stack and tilt. Remember who´s writing instruction articles, well off course it´s the pros. And…..

The Pros and PGA don´t want to teach us hackers to be better golfers, they want to keep us ignorant at all cost.

Why? Ohh common, the hole golfindusties revenue is depending on this. The ignorant hacker buys a lot more than a scilled singlehandicapper.

I'm not afraid of lessons. I just don't want to have one, period. Ya, it might be nice. Do I really really need one? no. Could it improve my game? Maybe, maybe not. I started playing golf at age 54. I never took a lesson. I played golf, not swing. I watched the ball flight and adjusted from there til I got the ball to do and go where and how I wanted/needed. In 18 months I was a 2 handicap. I love playing the game of golf, not golf swing. I still score in the 70s, I can play under par for 9 holes. I'm currently 63 years old.

Peoples priorities are different. They play the game for different reasons. I play the game for fun and to learn all by myself. It's what I enjoy. Yes, I'll watch a video or 2 every year, I'll browse the instruction forum for thoughts but thats about it. I don't use "drills" since I have no idea what the problem is for that drill or if it applies to me.

So, no, I'm not afraid of lessons, I'd rather do it myself and I'm happy with my game and the way and why I play.

Posts 41 and 42 above:

I don't believe there's any conspiracy going on. That would be just about impossible to hide.

I do think there's something else going on.

Maybe something more like:

- People who can hit a ball well don't truly comprehend the lack of understanding by someone who can't, and therefore don't truly understand what's being sought.

- Describing the golf swing is incredibly difficult.

- There are so many ways to swing a club that instructors range between teaching one method that may not work for you, to trying to work with the way the student is swinging the club to optimize the results, even though, like in my case, I'm changing that way constantly because none of the things I try seem to "work".

Most people don't take lessons because they don't get the results they hoped for. First, most amateurs have so many compensations in their swings, fixing just one or two of them often causes them to take two steps backwards. And once they start playing worse, they immediately revert back to their "old" swing that they knew they could live with. My PGA pro has often told me he would be more successful if I stopped playing rounds and spent all my time on the range after my lessons until whatever we were working on was fixed, to prevent me from doing just that.

I fit your stated criteria of a high index (20) golfer who is dedicated to improving. I'm either at the range or the course at least 5 times per week, working hard to improve and making no progress.

Google robo golf pro. It's a crazy looking machine that swings the golf club for you. Wish I could get on one these just to see what feels I could pick up.

Back to my old X2Hot 9*
TM M3 15*
Steelhead XR 3h 19*
i25s 4-UW
Ping Glide 54* / Cleveland 60*
O-Works 1W
ProV1

They can't give you a swing feel. They can say "This is what it should feel like" and "This is how it feels to me" and "Here, try this", but your feel is yours and yours alone.

Teaching is an art. I don't believe many instructors have mastered this art.

I agree with this. The PGA sucks at training teachers

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

Number 1 reason is ego. All golfers have them. Golfers i teach learn right away that if you wanna get better you have tl drop your ego

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

I play golf 4 days per week, so no time or money for lessons.

Why couldnt you take one week off every other month, take a lesson, practice and get a little better?

Google robo golf pro. It's a crazy looking machine that swings the golf club for you. Wish I could get on one these just to see what feels I could pick up.

Robo golf pro seems awkward when people are on it. You aren’t hitting a ball either and it’s pretty slow. Plus, the pros swings they can configure it to look nothing like their swings. I’ve always been able to make a good swing in slow motion and no ball, don’t need a robot for that, maybe for an absolute beginner

For me there are no notable good coaches around. I’m sure some of them may be okay, but they teach old school stuff with positions and feels. They don’t seem to now biomechanics or basic faults. So I never get to the cause so never improve.

So I go online now which works but takes a little more work as you don’t have that watchful eye on you for 30-60 mins.

Some people don't REALLY want to get better.

Some people don't really want to get better, even if they say they do

It's hard knowing how to find a good instructor if you aren't a member at a private club

Time commitments of golf are already high, spending time with am instructor means even more time

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Seeing improvement from someone that you are working with is super satisfying. The requisite work it takes from the player to keep progressing still must happen though. Taking lessons from a pro will put you in a position to keep progressing. It keeps your practice sessions from spinning your wheels or going backwards, but Its still up to you to actually go forwards. There is no substitute for hard work, lessons will just get you there quicker so long as you put in said work.

It reminds me of a saying my HS Chemistry teacher used to say: "practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect". Instructors verify that what you are practicing is perfect for you, its still up to you to perform it in order to get better.

That being said, there are people who make it though the PGA process who have no business teaching the golf swing. Knowing your limitations is important for a golf pro. A previous GM of mine, who is now a PGA Class A GM at a prominent club(was head pro previously), used to be a banker before going the PGA route. It took him a bunch of tries to pass the PAT. Hes a great GM, but he knows that teaching the golf swing is not his forte. Thats part of what makes him great at his job; he knows what he does well, and hires others to cover the rest.

Personally I always open up my lesson by asking what you want to get from the lesson today. You want to see how a club should move through the zone? sure, lets do it. You want to fix a slice? well you probably wont be hitting a high draw in an hour, but we can detail a plan of action on how to change the path of the club, and what it will take. Need to put a bandaid over something for a tournament this weekend? lets find a go-to shot or thought. The lesson is for you, I'm just here to impart wisdom in the best manner possible. Knowledge is power!

Callaway

I spent $150 on a set of lessons with a guy that came recommended to me and feel like I've gotten more value from YouTube. There were a few changes he made that were pretty helpful, but he spent so much time spouting platitudes and anecdotes that it drove me nuts. He must have spent half the time I had on the mental side of things, which is nice and all, but I can read books on that. And have! I really just needed someone to look at my swing.

So, I really don't feel like spending another $150 on a wildcard.

I think most people would be better off spending their money on a gym membership. Fitness is probably the bigger barrier to a solid golf swing for the average weekend golfer.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5 deg.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 3L

Srixon ZX 3 hybrid

Ping S55 irons

Ping Glide 3.0 54 & 60 deg.

Bettinardi BB-1W

Teaching is an art. I don't believe many instructors have mastered this art.

I agree with this. The PGA sucks at training teachers

Teaching is either something you have or you dont. Maybe it could be taught, but there should be some student teaching and observation so new teachers could get feedback.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

it's figuring it out for self. With all the tutorials on the web etc.. going to see someone to watch you sounds too serious and assume they know how to teach... having said that...lessons path is best for fundamentals. Someone has to let you know if you are doing it right...feeling it right.

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B