2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

First time being announced on tee

kozubs

Our course participates in an interclub Ryder Cup style event. No handicapping just the stronger players playing in pairs better ball. This year we were down some good players so while scrapping the bottom of the barrel they asked me to play. I do clubs c's but no tournaments like this but thought it would be fun.

On the first tee (we were visiting another course) there was a gallery and they announced me before teeing off. I was surprised how nervous it made me feel. I felt out of my league especially as we were playing the course record holder.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It gets easier and easier. Play well

PING G430 10k 9* Project X HZRDUS Hulk
PING G425 14.5* Tensei Orange 
PING G425 17* Tensei Orange
Titleist TSR Hybrids HZRDUS Silver 
PING i210 Irons Project X LZ
Edel Wedges S400 / TaylorMade MyMG4 Wedges S400
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Robert Mark Headcovers
Jordan Golf Shoes
PING Hoofer

Yep. That's happened to me. It really adds to the tournament feel. It's one thing if you cold top it in front of a bunch of strangers, but now they know your name. Lol.

Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
Bobby: I play because I love it.
Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.

So you just stepped up the golf ladder another rung, good for you. After all you did get picked, they announced your name, and you played against the club record holder. That's all good stuff. Hopefully it will give you more confidence in your game. I think they'll announce your name again before too long...

Good to have a shot that you know will put you in play. 3 wood, a touch back in your stance, get on top of it and hit a squeeze fade into the fairway or something similar for when you feel the heat.

Or ride the adrenaline and go for broke... set your own personal long drive record?

It is match play ;)

Seriously, whatever works. I was always put at ease by forking one into the fairway. Some guys are put ease by unleashing. Not just on the first tee but anytime you feel the pressure or uneasy. I was impressed by Patrick Reed hitting his whirlybird cut on 18 at Augusta, a shot he had been hitting just a few months at the time. He gutted it, so that move is obviously one that he trusts with the pressure on.

I played in a charity scramble a couple of years ago. No real pressure but the guy calling our names was Frank White, former gold glove 2nd baseman for the Royals, and childhood hero of mine. Then he heckled me....can’t remember what he said, it was all in good fun. :)

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

The worst is being announced on the tee and there is literally no one there but the dude doing the announcing and your playing partners.

They announce your name, you nod or look up, it’s an involuntary reaction, and then you feel like a complete dope. But if you don’t acknowledge it at all you feel like a dick.

That’s a weird feeling.

Good to have a shot that you know will put you in play. 3 wood, a touch back in your stance, get on top of it and hit a squeeze fade into the fairway or something similar for when you feel the heat.

Or ride the adrenaline and go for broke... set your own personal long drive record?

It is match play ;)

Seriously, whatever works. I was always put at ease by forking one into the fairway. Some guys are put ease by unleashing. Not just on the first tee but anytime you feel the pressure or uneasy. I was impressed by Patrick Reed hitting his whirlybird cut on 18 at Augusta, a shot he had been hitting just a few months at the time. He gutted it, so that move is obviously one that he trusts with the pressure on.

A friend who played pro always jokes, par is the hardest score to make when you need a few to win.

Agreed about Reed.

There's something romantic about hearing your name on the loudspeaker. Time to really focus on the PSR. If I were smart I'd use it as an opportunity to count my clubs one last time. Been known to leave an extra club in the bag. So dumb.

I got into a pre tournament shoot out against 9 of the best golfers in the field, by default as well. To qualify, you pay a fee, and play in our weekend noon game and the lowest 10 scores make it into the shoot out. I showed up to watch, and they only had 9. Since I had played in qualifying events, they let me pay and play. It also helped that I was a 13 handicap, so no one in the field felt like I was a last minute ringer being added.

I knew all of my opponents except 2 guys who were in town for the tourney, and most of the spectators, so I thought it was cool to get announced on the tee.

In fact, it may've loosened me up a little, because some of my buds in the crowd heckled me as I was teeing up my ball. I hit my drive dead straight about 230 down the middle. I held on for 4 holes, and bowed out on number 5.

First, and still the only time, that I was announced on the first tee was the 1984 Texas State Amateur at Horseshoe Bay.

There was probably 20-25 people standing the first tee and my knees were literally shaking when they announced my name. The truth of the matter is that they actually begin shaking before they even announced my name. Never had experienced that before and haven't experienced it since. I could hardly take the club back and "managed" to skank a driver that went all of about 175 yards in the right rough. The good news is that I did end parring the hole though.

In our club championship this year i was playing in the final group with 2 of the top juniors in the province, one of whom is one of the top 2-3 juniors in Canada. Our Club pro announced the players on the tee and for the juniors was listing all their tournament wins and etc...Like "Quebec Junior Amateur Champ etc etc...."

And they after them he was like, "And playing with them.....Jeff"

I was like "I shot a 78 the other day" , i think it got some laughs

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

So how the first hole go for you?

Stripped it down the middle, went for the green in 2 but got a dodgy lie just over a bunker, bladed over the green and up and down for par for the push.

We lost the front nine on number nine and the back nine on 18 after our opponents hit 5 approaches in a row to less than 4 feet. It was nuts. We lost all 3 points. My partner was carried off on a stretcher as his back was broken from carrying me all day. I did win a few holes and pushed a few over the 18.

Love this thread!

This is what I look forward to the most about our Club Championships. No, we dont have a gallery except maybe 20 pple following the leaders on the the final day. But I love the professional set up, swapping of cards, submitting scorecards and playing until you sink it. I am nervous AF the night before, as I focus on doing better than previous year.

We go again in 3 weeks! The curse looking absolutely stunning (and brutal)

I have to say, I've been announced a bunch over the past 30 years. But not for golf. Never in golf as I don't play tournaments. All the announcements were during awards ceremonies for triathlons, running races and cycling races. I'm betting its a bit different. Mine were when the races were already over, not just starting. Although nerves are extremely high at the start of a triathlon where you're standing on a beach with 1000 other competitors readying to mass start a 2.4 mile swim. Then realize you have about 10-12 more hours of racing. You can't let the nerves over take you or you start out too fast and are toast within 15 minutes, with 11 more hours to go.

First tournament I ever played in was the Kentucky Senior Open. I was paired with 2 local pros and when they announced my name I didn't think I would be able to take the club back. They drilled their tee shots right down the middle and to my surprise I did too. I got to my ball and it was in the middle of the fairway sitting in a sanded divot. Chunked the 2nd shot and proceeded to take a double bogey on the first hole and the nerves were gone and I was off to my 84. One of the pros I played with ended up winning the tournament and I finished 25th..

At my club I always tee off the first with a 6 iron. It's a fairly easy decision. Anything longer than that risks one or more bunkers (assuming you keep it in play at all). It's interesting to note that very few of those capable of sending a ball all the way to the green (280 yards, slightly uphill) from the tee attempt it in a competition.

Directly 'above' club house, to the right of the road.

On Mondays and Fridays it's the 10th and if I'm playing on those days I will be more aggressive because I'm warmed up and stand a chance of birdying it with par pretty much expected. But when it's the first hole it has to be taken a little more seriously. Even us high-cappers don't like starting the round with a bogey on such an 'easy' hole :)

I've done 13 LPGA pro-ams over the years, and every time they announce each of the amateurs before they announce the pro. And there's always a crowd around the tee.

And yes, I got nervous all 13 times. If I remember right, I think only twice out of 13 times was I able to get up there and pound a perfect drive down the middle. Good news is of all the other times, I never had a fat or topped shot. It was usually a slice, or hook, or I just missed the fairway a little.

It always seemed to take me a hole to get the butterflies out in those things.

It did make it easier when they announce us on the first tee of the club championship. Though there are far less people standing around watching for that.

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

Don't think the Starter isn't nervous as well, especially when a name may be difficult. Just think you're announced on the tee, and a large group of fellow golfers and spectators are near the tee and your name is announced and it's not even close to correct. The Starter is embarrassed and the player is distracted, thinking can't they get my name correct. It happens.

Titleist TSR-1 10.5 Speeder Driver, 3-wood, 7-wood
Callaway Epic Star Max, 5-wood

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 6-AW

Titleist TSR-1 Hybrids 5 and 6 

TM Putter

Srixon Z-Star

My first tournament was at a high school tournament and I was a freshman. We drove like 2 hours to this course I had never seen and was my first tournament. I had only played match play before then so I didn't really know what to expect but wasn't really nervous. Anyway, next day we got to the course and there was a huge gallery around mainly first tee, like 50-100 people. Was a bunch of schools there. I was 4th player out of 6 for varsity so was playing against mainly juniors and seniors who were pretty good and stronger than I as a freshman just starting school. I got on first tee and they announce your name and school when they want you to tee up. I remember being nervous and just swinging through the ball hoping for the best. Hit this pretty pull cut right into the middle of fairway, can still see the shot in my mind all these years later, it's like burned into my mind, lol. Crowd gave me a pretty good applause I think for hitting fairway.