PGA Tour Live Replaced with NBC Gold?

bbr16

May be cancelling my subscription. Really disappointed in the changes.

1. As noted, when watching in the browser, you can't resize the video to match the browser. That was something I loved to do with PGA Tour Live. I could have a small window while continuing to work. Takes too much screen on my 21" iMac
  2. On the iPad I could do PiP. It would play in a small window as well allowing me to do other things. Not the case anymore forcing me to watch. That's a show stopper.
  3. it's 2019, why are they using Flash??? No HTML5.

Well I may have jumped the gun. Right now, you can stream on the iPad from Safari which will allow you to go PiP (hit the full screen button and then hit the home button). So that means there is an HTML5/non-flash site available.

I'll play around with the User Agent settings on Safari on my iMac to see if can get it to low the mobile site and maybe we will have more size options...

Using Chrome in Windows, the video will get smaller if you zoom out of the webpage. For that browser/OS, CTRL-mouse wheel or CTRL--/CTRL-+ will zoom in/out. Probably similar or identical in Safari except you might need to use the COMMAND key instead of CTRL (edit: google tells me that Command and the plus/minus keys should zoom on Safari).

So basically, zoom the page until you get the desired video size. Then resize the window and adjust the scroll bars to the video. Not as elegant as PGA Tour Live worked last year, but it only takes a few seconds to do.

I ran into a lot of errors/bugs last year with PGA Tour Live in the browser and at least that all seems to work with NBC Sports Gold. Native Chromecast support is a nice upgrade, although I had some issues with the Roku channel when trying to watch the recap last night.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't have any issues with streaming on my computer at work yesterday, and today seems to be going ok. I didn't try my iPad yet to see how that works. I'll be trying that tomorrow morning while making breakfast.

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17* (AV Raw White 75s); 21* Callaway UW (Tour AD TP 8s); 
Irons: Srixon MKII ZX5 4 Iron (Recoil Utility 110 F4), 5-PW Srixon ZX7 (DG AMT White s300)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

1. As noted, when watching in the browser, you can't resize the video to match the browser. That was something I loved to do with PGA Tour Live. I could have a small window while continuing to work. Takes too much screen on my 21" iMac
  2. On the iPad I could do PiP. It would play in a small window as well allowing me to do other things. Not the case anymore forcing me to watch. That's a show stopper.

Well I may have jumped the gun. Right now, you can stream on the iPad from Safari which will allow you to go PiP (hit the full screen button and then hit the home button). So that means there is an HTML5/non-flash site available.

I'll play around with the User Agent settings on Safari on my iMac to see if can get it to low the mobile site and maybe we will have more size options...

Sure, it's possible, but why should you have to have to know how to do all of those things just to make it work the way you want? I dropped my subscription, in large part because of the fact that I had to do so much work to get it back to the experience that I wanted/had. Not worth the time and effort from me every time I want to use it.

I'm starting to agree. The more I try to use it the more it's a pain now. I use Safari and I have add blockers as well as Cross Site Tracking disabled. Streaming won't work with any of those enabled. I understand the need if it's free but I'm paying for the service. Plus the iOS App requires that location be enabled for the app as well.

Nope, I'm done.

Maltby KE4 TC Max MPF Pro Stiff
Callaway Rogue 3W Synergy 60

Maltby KE4 Tour TC 19*, 22* Matrix  HX3 White Tie
Taylormade Burner TP Japan Issue 5-PW DG120

Callaway MD4 Raw 52*, 58* DG115
Maltby PTM-5

Sure, it's possible, but why should you have to have to know how to do all of those things just to make it work the way you want? I dropped my subscription, in large part because of the fact that I had to do so much work to get it back to the experience that I wanted/had. Not worth the time and effort from me every time I want to use it.

I'm starting to agree. The more I try to use it the more it's a pain now. I use Safari and I have add blockers as well as Cross Site Tracking disabled. Streaming won't work with any of those enabled. I understand the need if it's free but I'm paying for the service. Plus the iOS App requires that location be enabled for the app as well.

Nope, I'm done.

Exactly! Paying for a service shouldn't mean I have to disable any or all of my addons to reduce annoying things on other sites. When they do, I start to question things more.

I hate having to use streaming apps that require my location. That just tells me that they will black it out if I happen to be in a location they don't like me being in. I travel often enough that this has been an issue in the past and avoid it as much as possible now.

Nope, I'm done.

Exactly! Paying for a service shouldn't mean I have to disable any or all of my addons to reduce annoying things on other sites. When they do, I start to question things more.

I hate having to use streaming apps that require my location. That just tells me that they will black it out if I happen to be in a location they don't like me being in. I travel often enough that this has been an issue in the past and avoid it as much as possible now.

They will never black you out as a subscriber. They want your location for advertising. You are worth much more to an advertiser if they know where you are.

Big brother is watching all the time.....in more ways than one.

I used tto VPN to get the simulcast, I don't think that is going to be an option for me anymore.

but I enjoy them being back in action, can't wait for Next week!

Ping 425 Max Tour Shaft X 75g 

TSI 4 Wood (3 wood smoke shaft)

500U 3 Iron Smoke 80g
712U 4 Iron
714CB 5-6
718MB 7-PW 
Vokey SM9 50, 55, 60 
SC Newport 2.5

Watching it at home on TV using Roku, the coverage seems to be more comprehensive than it has ever been with multiple feature groups both morning and afternoon, and no lagging or buffering like with Chromecast. Bit the bullet and paid the $49.99 now instead of the $69.99 later, or $9.99/month later. More than the $5.99/month with ESPN+, but the increased coverage justifies the increased cost for me. And I still use ESPN+ to watch regional football and basketball games.

I just found out about this. I have never paid for the service but I liked it for the news, scores, etc. It looks like there is no free option for the NBC app. Is this correct? Do I need to just delete the old app? What a disappointment. No way I will pay but I thought the old app was pretty useful as a free PGA info app.

• 2 weeks later...

I really hate the transition from PGA Tour Live to NBC Gold. I subscribed to PGA Tour Live and had few technical issues. Renewed this year with NBC Gold and have had constant technical issues. I can watch Golf Channel streaming live via my wifi or via cellular service on my phone - but can only watch NBC Gold streaming via cellular on my phone. Can't get it to work on my wifi - even though I can stream Netflix, Showtime, NBC regular TV shows, etc.

I spent several hours with NBC Gold technical people and once they confirmed I could watch it on my cell phone via cellular service - they said problem was clearly with ISP provider - even though I could watch all other streaming media via Wifi. At this point, I just about ready to ditch the service!

Just an older guy with 7 or 8 clubs and a MacKenzie Sunday Walker bag

I really hate the transition from PGA Tour Live to NBC Gold. I subscribed to PGA Tour Live and had few technical issues. Renewed this year with NBC Gold and have had constant technical issues. I can watch Golf Channel streaming live via my wifi or via cellular service on my phone - but can only watch NBC Gold streaming via cellular on my phone. Can't get it to work on my wifi - even though I can stream Netflix, Showtime, NBC regular TV shows, etc.

I spent several hours with NBC Gold technical people and once they confirmed I could watch it on my cell phone via cellular service - they said problem was clearly with ISP provider - even though I could watch all other streaming media via Wifi. At this point, I just about ready to ditch the service!

Weird. I get it on phone, iPad, and Apple TV just fine. I Haven’t tried the computer yet.

Edit...for those that are still confused, PGA Tour live is now being CARRIED by NBCSports gold. It didn’t go away, you just can’t receive it using the old app from last year.

Weird. I get it on phone, iPad, and Apple TV just fine. I Haven't tried the computer yet.

Edit...for those that are still confused, PGA Tour live is now being CARRIED by NBCSports gold. It didn't go away, you just can't receive it using the old app from last year.

I got it just fine on all platforms before NBCSports Gold came into he picture. I paid my renewal fee, was able to watch first few rounds - then dead. Oh well, I was probably spending too much time watching golf.

I'm glad that I got the refund from NBC Sports Gold and picked it up on Amazon. Amazon Prime Video is a much better platform.

1. Website allows you to resize the window to make it as small/large as you want.
  2. iPad supports Picture in Picture. So I can browse GolfWRX while having a small window open. Feed is clean and free of adds.
  3. Amazon Prime app is available on all of my Roku TVs as well as built into the Xfinity X1 box.

Maltby PTM-5

I'm glad that I got the refund from NBC Sports Gold and picked it up on Amazon. Amazon Prime Video is a much better platform.

1. Website allows you to resize the window to make it as small/large as you want.
  2. iPad supports Picture in Picture. So I can browse GolfWRX while having a small window open. Feed is clean and free of adds.
  3. Amazon Prime app is available on all of my Roku TVs as well as built into the Xfinity X1 box.

Amazon Prime might be an idea worth checking - already use it for other streams.

Weird. I get it on phone, iPad, and Apple TV just fine. I Haven't tried the computer yet.

Edit...for those that are still confused, PGA Tour live is now being CARRIED by NBCSports gold. It didn't go away, you just can't receive it using the old app from last year.

I got it just fine on all platforms before NBCSports Gold came into he picture. I paid my renewal fee, was able to watch first few rounds - then dead. Oh well, I was probably spending too much time watching golf.

If you paid the renewal fee to PGA tour live you should get a refund and then you must specifically sign up with NBC sports gold.

I signed up with Gold the first week of January and I got a refund issued to me for the PGA tour Live App from Apple a couple weeks later.

You can get it thru Amazon Prime Video. I have had no problems

And they do these speed rounds thing where they show you about 30 players whole round in a few minutes .

I really enjoy this service. I had PGA live last year and this year it is even better with extra coverage. The featured groups are usually players I’m interested in and the announcers seem more golf focused than on the regular broadcasts. If your not sure just do the monthly for $9.99 or watch the twitter broadcasts for free to see the format.

Watched a few rounds of this on the Golf Channel. Not sure if they don’t have the cameras that they normally would, but the camera angles and shots are terrible. Player hits shot, camera stays on his swing, and we have no idea where the ball is.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping G425 Crossover 3, i20 4-PW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Watching again this morning, it's great. Camera angles are fine and protracer in use quite a bit so impossible not to follow where the ball is.

Maybe the weather was a factor with visibility or some limitations - no idea.

But this morning really couldn't be better, and again, they are streaming for free for quite awhile before it goes exclusively to the "pay for".

I'm using Amazon Prime, but it's the same feed, and I think it is superior to what they had last year (that I canceled).

My only gripe is I get incredible quality on my iPhone. They want to push you to Google Chrome which I won’t do, so the quality on my MacBook Pro is not what it should be.

Are you on NBC Gold? I’m on Amazon Prime and the feed is great in Safari. Actually, as I mentioned earlier Amazon Prime is far better than NBC Gold. If I were restricted to NBC I wouldn’t watch.

Maltby PTM-5

My only gripe is I get incredible quality on my iPhone. They want to push you to Google Chrome which I won’t do, so the quality on my MacBook Pro is not what it should be.

Are you on NBC Gold? I’m on Amazon Prime and the feed is great in Safari. Actually, as I mentioned earlier Amazon Prime is far better than NBC Gold. If I were restricted to NBC I wouldn’t watch.

As I said a couple above, Amazon Prime. When I signed up I got a use Google Chrome for best quality notice, but didn’t do that. It’s not even 1080 quality on the laptop, brilliant on the phone. Movies are just fine.

I really miss the old pga tour live app. Scrollable leaderboard overlays, dedicated leaderboard in the app, news feed, a well polished app.

NBC sports gold has none of this. Instead a crappy leaderboard implementation, horrible UI, and tons of extra NBC content I don’t care about. Not to mention the random errors I get while trying to view live coverage.

More coverage is nice, but the mobile experience has taken a major hit in my opinion. I’m just a software engineer, what do I know?...

I see the verdict is still out on the Amazon PGA Tour Live vs NBC Sports Gold. Any on care to comment on the difference between the two? I have PGA Tour Live app on amazon prime (9.99/ month) and covers the two feature groups live. Does the NBC gold app offer a better service? Trying to figure out which app to go with this year. All of the majors are blacked out on the pga tour live on amazon. Does NBC Gold offer the majors to stream live?

I thought NBC Gold was replacing PGA tour live but it doesn't seem to be the case....

I see the verdict is still out on the Amazon PGA Tour Live vs NBC Sports Gold. Any on care to comment on the difference between the two? I have PGA Tour Live app on amazon prime (9.99/ month) and covers the two feature groups live. Does the NBC gold app offer a better service? Trying to figure out which app to go with this year. All of the majors are blacked out on the pga tour live on amazon. Does NBC Gold offer the majors to stream live?

I thought NBC Gold was replacing PGA tour live but it doesn't seem to be the case....

NBC Sports Gold is CARRYING PGA tour live. It is the SAME coverage as through Amazon.

The PGA TOUR Live app and the subscription through that App are gone as one of the distribution choices.

It’s $65 for the year though NBC sports gold. Why pay 9.95 a month if you want it year round?

NBC Sports Gold is CARRYING PGA tour live. It is the SAME coverage as through Amazon.

The PGA TOUR Live app and the subscription through that App are gone as one of the distribution choices.

It’s $65 for the year though NBC sports gold. Why pay 9.95 a month if you want it year round?

Now that makes sense. Alot of different info I was finding about the 2 apps. Some people say the same, some people say different. I just did the one month to see if it was worth it/ streaming ok. If all goes well this week, i'll just grab the yearly price.

**EDIT**

Seems like NBC Sports gold is a different service then GOLFPASS***

Kind of like the Mitsubishi shaft line. So many options that no one seems to be 100% sure about. LOL

Amazon doesn't show ads, NBC Sports Gold does. That's the only real difference