2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Garmin S6 GPS Watch

Has anybody purchased the Garmin S6?

Looking at picking one up. Features seem great but I'm worried about it feeling odd to wear while playing!

Any Cons I should know about?

Any feeback would be appreciated

https://buy.garmin.com/en-CA/CA/wearabletech/watches-wearable-technology/approach-s6/prod138810.html

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There I like it, but it's too expensive for what you're getting unless you are really doubling down on the swing tech built into it. If that's not important, but an S4 and save some $.

M5 w/Rogue
Cobra F6 3/4 wood w/Kuro Kage
RSI 2 driving iron w/recoil
PSI Tour 4-pw w/S300
MD3 50/54/58
Lajosi DD201 w/full face Damascus insert

I own one and have used it for the past year and a half. I too was worried about it being annoying on the course, but honestly it is extremely light and I barely know it's there - no issues at all comfort-wise. One thing to note, I do not wear a glove except on extremely humid/sticky days. But on those "glove days" I do find the watch to be slightly annoying as it causes the wrist on the glove to bunch slightly. Otherwise, I love it and often wonder what I did without it (this coming from a former caddie).

Pros:

• Light, comfortable except with glove
  • Accurate - always right there with playing partners Laser
  • Course view is excellent to get distances to hazards. Also HUGE feature for new courses.
  • Unbelievably convenient. Distance always right on your wrist. Hugely helpful to get quick distances on errant shots accurately to the green. Definitely speeds up play.

Cons

• Battery only lasts approximately 27 holes w/ out a recharge. This has remained consistent for the past year and a half.
  • Bunching issue with glove noted above
  • You can never beat the accuracy of a laser to the pin. This gives you front/middle/back, but if you don't know the true pin position if you can't clearly see it or it isn't marked. I have definitely misjudged a pin to be "up" on a sloping green that was actually way back or vice versa.

Nice review @manima1

I was thinking about the bunching. And I guess it needs to be on the glove hand to get all features? Perhaps move the watch up the wrist a little. I heard the new fitness watches with heart beat monitor need to be worn slightly higher on the wrist to get an accurate read out of pulse. We all wear watches at the base of the wrist for style. lol

@Gray, I like the idea of the swing stuff built in. (Although I question how good that tech is)

And Im getting a decent deal on it so I'll pay the extra

I have a S2. Love it coming from a Skycaddie. All I wanted was front, middle, back. Great price too! ;)

Ping Hoofer Lite

Mizuno ST Max 9.5*

Mizuno ST Max 3/7W

Mizuno ST Max 5/6H

Mizuno 243 7-GW

Mizuno T24 54/S, 58/D

Mizuno OMOI #2

Mizuno RB Tour

Super Bowl LII Champions Fly Eagles Fly! 🦅

You could always get the s5 which doesn't have the swing tempo stuff and save $75. Im debating which GPS watch to get right now.

Optiforce 440 9.5* w/ B-Series BlueBoard 60X
913H 18*& 22* w/ iRod 85F4
Ping s55 (4-PW) w/ Recoil 95 Prototype
Engage 50sq, 54sq, 60ds w/ Recoil 110 Prototype
Bettinardi Signature Series 7

For the past 12 years I've used a Bushnell range finder and still do today. A couple of my buddies use the S5 & S6 so I decided I would get one, too. I intended to buy the S6, but decided to go with the S5 as I didn't think I would use all the S6 features. I've had the S5 for about 1 year now and came to the conclusion that I really don't use all the functions of the S5. One thing I overlooked I need corrective single vision lenses for distance, the color screen is a gimmick for fairways/greens it's small and blurry, I no longer bother with that feature, as well I don't use the watch to keep score. I mainly use it for confirming distances, and when I forget to put it on in the morning, I really miss it. I walk 18 and when I'm done in 4.5 hours the battery is down below 65%, it always needs to be recharged. On a couple of tracks I've noticed a 12-15 yd discrepancy between the S5 reading for center of green and the actual lazer distance, that said it's normally withing a few yds. I find the S5 works best for me for those shots in the order of 90 or 50 yds or less into the green, you glance at the watch vs using a range finder for .... say a 45 yd chip shot. If it stopped working tomorrow, I would definitely replace it, but most likely wouldn't buy the same one, just don't use/need all those features. Something for others to consider.

Cheers

D.

Ping G430 10k - 10.5° Driver Tour Chrome 2.0 65 or Ventus Blue 6-S Velo

Ping G430 Max 15° 3 Wood - Tour Chrome 2.0 65 S or Ad Di8-S
Ping G430 Max 21° 7 Wood - Tour Chrome 2.0 75 S

Ping G430’s, 4-P/W - UST Recoil ES 780 F4-S

Ping G430 - 45° & 50° - UST Recoil 95's F4-S

Ping Glide Pro 56° - UST Recoil 95's F4-S

Odyssey Versa Jailbird 380 Limited Edition Putter

Ping DLX Cart Bag

V1 Sport Push Cart - Garmin Approach G80

You could always get the s5 which doesn't have the swing tempo stuff and save $75. Im debating which GPS watch to get right now.

Got one a couple days ago!

Update: Watch working fine and got about 9 1/2 hours before charging. Obviously plenty of time for one round but 2 rounds could be tough when playing behind "while were young" groups. Anyway, I happy with the distances and battery life!

Handicap:  3

Update: Watch working fine and got about 9 1/2 hours before charging. Obviously plenty of time for one round but 2 rounds could be tough when playing behind "while were young" groups. Anyway, I happy with the distances and battery life!

Lol nice man!

I bought the S6 just waiting on it to be shipped. (No golf town near me)

I have a crappy GPS on golfshot lite. It's a joke. Gave me a 86 yard reading and I put it 30 yards over with a lite gap wedge 2 days ago and today gave me a 125 yard when I was beside white stick. I guess the signal was glitching.

The front centre back yardage I'm looking forward to. I was thinking about that "moving the pin placement" feature would be great too but today I noticed I can barely see where the pin is placed by eye if they aren't colour coordinated.

Also distance to obstacles will be key. I'm always extra laying up due to uncertainty of range.

Lol nice man!

I bought the S6 just waiting on it to be shipped. (No golf town near me)

I have a crappy GPS on golfshot lite. It's a joke. Gave me a 86 yard reading and I put it 30 yards over with a lite gap wedge 2 days ago and today gave me a 125 yard when I was beside white stick. I guess the signal was glitching.

The front centre back yardage I'm looking forward to. I was thinking about that "moving the pin placement" feature would be great too but today I noticed I can barely see where the pin is placed by eye if they aren't colour coordinated.

Also distance to obstacles will be key. I'm always extra laying up due to uncertainty of range.

give us your opnion after a couple of rounds.

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I've done research on this watch and decided to buy a refurbished model from a reputable seller and the watch arrived yesterday. It looks fine, could pass as new. However, after charging it to 100 percent at 10:15 last night I woke up at 7 this morning and the battery low indicator was on. Just sitting on my desk, it dropped to 7 percent in 9 hours! I wonder if it'd even make 18 holes, let alone reviews I've read where users report getting 2 rounds on a charge. Very disappointed, to say the least, and have contacted the seller to initiate a return. I wanted to determine if others have had similar experience with the S6? Did I just get a lemon, or is battery life really that poor (despite several reports to the contrary)? Thank you!

Cobra Aerojet 10.5 +1.5 Mitsubishi Kai'li S
Cobra LTDx 5w PX Hzrdus green 5.5

Cobra King Utility 20.5 Elements Chrome S 20.5

Mizuno 243 5-P DG S200
Corey Paul 52, 56, 60 
Mizuno OMOI 3 black 35"
Emeritus set:  Mizuno MP20 HMB 5, MMC 6-8, MP 9-P KBS C-taper Lite R 

I've done research on this watch and decided to buy a refurbished model from a reputable seller and the watch arrived yesterday. It looks fine, could pass as new. However, after charging it to 100 percent at 10:15 last night I woke up at 7 this morning and the battery low indicator was on. Just sitting on my desk, it dropped to 7 percent in 9 hours! I wonder if it'd even make 18 holes, let alone reviews I've read where users report getting 2 rounds on a charge. Very disappointed, to say the least, and have contacted the seller to initiate a return. I wanted to determine if others have had similar experience with the S6? Did I just get a lemon, or is battery life really that poor (despite several reports to the contrary)? Thank you!

Was it searching for the satellite signal while indoors? If so, it will drain the battery while constantly trying to find and stay connected to the nearest satellite. Could still be a lemon but my Garmin's have done that before. If I don't end the round on my Fenix 3 HR it will be dead the next morning and it can easily get 4 rounds on a normal charge. This happened once and I thought it might be a battery issue. It was not as the watch charges and keeps a charge fine till this day. You have to kill the GPS indoors or it will search for a signal till it finds one or dies.

GL

Did you have Bluetooth connected the whole time? This will drain as well. I had something similar like this happen to me with my S4, I contacted them out of warranty and they walked through some things to try and then just sent me another one and swapped it out. They are a stand up company so I would get ahold of them and see what they might be able to do for you.

• 3 weeks later...

I own one and have used it for the past year and a half. I too was worried about it being annoying on the course, but honestly it is extremely light and I barely know it's there - no issues at all comfort-wise. One thing to note, I do not wear a glove except on extremely humid/sticky days. But on those "glove days" I do find the watch to be slightly annoying as it causes the wrist on the glove to bunch slightly. Otherwise, I love it and often wonder what I did without it (this coming from a former caddie).

Pros:

• Course view is excellent to get distances to hazards. Also HUGE feature for new courses.
  • Unbelievably convenient. Distance always right on your wrist. Hugely helpful to get quick distances on errant shots accurately to the green. Definitely speeds up play.

Cons

• Battery only lasts approximately 27 holes w/ out a recharge. This has remained consistent for the past year and a half.
  • You can never beat the accuracy of a laser to the pin. This gives you front/middle/back, but if you don't know the true pin position if you can't clearly see it or it isn't marked. I have definitely misjudged a pin to be "up" on a sloping green that was actually way back or vice versa.

S6! What he said! Very few negatives...well worth it.

So the S6 has been out awhile now. Wondering if Garmin is going to be releasing a new model soon. Anyone have any insight?

TSR3 9* | Ventus Blue TR 6X

TSR2+ 13* | Ventus Red 7X 

T200 2-Iron | Ventus Blue HY 10X

T150's 3-PW | DG TI X100

SM10 Raw 

50.12F | DG TI X100

54.12D | DG TI S400

60.08M | DG TI S400

TM MySpider X Blk on Blk 34"

Titleist Pro V1

• 1 year later...

Pros:

Cons

S6! What he said! Very few negatives...well worth it.

I will have to agree. The biggest con is the battery but overall a solid watch. I also use a Leupold GX4i2 range finder and the Garmin is only a few yards off most of the time.

• 2 months later...

Folks that have the S6. Does it also count steps? And can you use it to go for a run and get gps distance and mile pace while running?

Yes (it's a pretty full function general activity/sleep tracker), and I think so. It certainly will do GPS tracking for any activity and has specialized ways to use it (hike, run, swing, bike) so I would assume the what it shows would be taylored in some way to the activities. But since I'm not a runner I can't tell you exactly what it reads during the activity. Due to the battery power the GPS sucks up, I don't it much except for golf and stick to the non-gps activity tracking.

Folks that have the S6. Does it also count steps? And can you use it to go for a run and get gps distance and mile pace while running?

Yes (it's a pretty full function general activity/sleep tracker), and I think so. It certainly will do GPS tracking for any activity and has specialized ways to use it (hike, run, swing, bike) so I would assume the what it shows would be taylored in some way to the activities. But since I'm not a runner I can't tell you exactly what it reads during the activity. Due to the battery power the GPS sucks up, I don't it much except for golf and stick to the non-gps activity tracking.

Did some more reading on it, seems like I need to go to the S60 for the steps and running features

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

Did some more reading on it, seems like I need to go to the S60 for the steps and running features

Sorry, my mistake. For some silly reason, you wrote s6 and I read it as s60 in my mind. Probably not enough caffeine in the system yet.