2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

What ever happened to Scratch Golf?

Dr Rangelove

I am a constant follower of NC on Instagram, but I remember there was a picture of black scratch blades with orange skull and crossbones stamped on the back.

For two years straight, every week i would find the picture and stare at it lol.

I am currently hoarding cash to approach NC with a 5 iron bag that i want to build.

I know exactly what set you are talking about, those were sweet!!

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
[email protected]
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)

I recently picked up a set of EZ-1s and have been blown away. Such easy clubs to hit and probably the best looking large cavity of all time. I was so impressed that I jumped in to ordering a short set with NCW. Currently still keeping my eyes peeled for a set of SB-1s for the collection.

It's too bad...I had a very pretty set of SB-1s with DGS400 Tour shafts. I then ordered a custom Don White 2 iron. Sadly, I was tempted by the fruit of another...and traded them for a different set of blades...

(Don't judge me too hard Ari).

Haha don't worry I am the LAST person to ever judge anyone for HOing clubs! (even a sick setup like that.... :P)

Ari Techner
[email protected]
(still a huge club HO)

I think the best way to tell the short version of the story is, it is VERY hard to compete with the big boys in the golf equipment industry. I started Scratch with Jeff McCoy at 23 years old with a $10k investment in my garage and we grew it to a multi million dollar company that changed the way companies offer customization to their customers. We did a ton of things amazingly well but made a few mistakes along the way which as a small company without deep pockets you just can't do. In the end the company was taken over by an investor who has done nothing with it that I know of. I'm very proud of my work at Scratch and have very font memories of all we did there.

I didn't realize you were that young when this all started. If my memory isn't failing, I seem to remember you posting about this on Derrick's forum, prior to it coming to fruition. I'd just assumed you were another 5-10 years older. LOL

Funny how our biases paint mental images. :)

Yeah I was on Derricks forum and pretty much every other relevant forum starting with the Golf Online forum in 1997. Then when WRX started I pretty much just settled in here. I think alot of people thought I was older that I was then. It's different now going to the PGA Show and not being part of the young generation anymore. I turn 40 next month and I almost feel like a grizzled veteran. This year was my 22nd PGA Show in a row.

#1 The name Fairway Fred "sounds old" even still. And 41 is not old.

#2 To quote Harvey Pennick If you were on Golfonline you're my friend.

#3 Am I the only one who remembers that time HP shot 104? At one of the first outings?

:beruo:

I think the best way to tell the short version of the story is, it is VERY hard to compete with the big boys in the golf equipment industry. I started Scratch with Jeff McCoy at 23 years old with a $10k investment in my garage and we grew it to a multi million dollar company that changed the way companies offer customization to their customers. We did a ton of things amazingly well but made a few mistakes along the way which as a small company without deep pockets you just can't do. In the end the company was taken over by an investor who has done nothing with it that I know of. I'm very proud of my work at Scratch and have very font memories of all we did there.

I didn't realize you were that young when this all started. If my memory isn't failing, I seem to remember you posting about this on Derrick's forum, prior to it coming to fruition. I'd just assumed you were another 5-10 years older. LOL

Yeah I was on Derricks forum and pretty much every other relevant forum starting with the Golf Online forum in 1997. Then when WRX started I pretty much just settled in here. I think alot of people thought I was older that I was then. It's different now going to the PGA Show and not being part of the young generation anymore. I turn 40 next month and I almost feel like a grizzled veteran. This year was my 22nd PGA Show in a row.

#3 Am I the only one who remembers that time HP shot 104? At one of the first outings?

I actually created the FairwayFred username in the fall of 1997 when I was in college and wanted to sell some clubs on the Golf Online forum. I've used it for all golf forums ever since. (Golf Equipment Afficianados, Bombsquad, Tour Spec, Golf Opinions, MGS, THP, I'm sure I missed a few....)

I picked the name for that exact reason. I thought it sounded older and like someone you could trust buying clubs from. Plus at that time I swung really hard and didn't hit enough fairways. Now 22 years later I swing alot slower but hit alot more fairways so I guess I grew into the name....

Ari Techner
[email protected]
(still a huge club HO)

I actually created the FairwayFred username in the fall of 1997 when I was in college and wanted to sell come clubs on the Golf Online forum. I've used it for all golf forums ever since. (Golf Equipment Afficianados, Bombsquad, Tour Spec, Golf Opinions, MGS, THP, I'm sure I missed a few....)

I picked the name for that exact reason. I thought it sounded older and like someone you could trust buying clubs from. Plus at that time I swung really hard and didn't hit alot of fairways. Now 22 years later I swing alot slower but hit alot more fairways so I guess I grew into the name....

That’s ok Ari, back then you could hit it anywhere at Katke and still be fine. That won’t work anymore.

That’s ok Ari, back then you could hit it anywhere at Katke and still be fine. That won’t work anymore.

I'm still sad about what they did to #2. (Now 11?)

The old green was so much better.

Ari Techner
[email protected]
(still a huge club HO)

I had some satin AR1's.

Best looking clubs I have ever owned.

I was in a non competetive phase, but they bit the dust as soon as I started to get interested in my scores again ( not the AR1's fault, just my own shot tendencies)

In the UK they were v rare. Sold them for £150 more than I bought them for.

Great company.

Considering some NCW raw, no offset EZ1 style based irons with a good amount of bounce. I like long blade lengths and bounce, but hate offset. Just musing at the moment, but I know the trigger will get pulled eventually.

I enjoy reading about everything Ari, Patrick et all get up to. Seem like great guys.

I dont think Scratch ever seen an avg golfer on a budget...I have never met a golfer with scratch irons that made less than 120K per yr.

I wasn't earning that then, still don't now!

I had a set.

40069087593_d3f7a2c21a_b.jpg230320111517

Well...you clearly were NOT on a budget then. Lol. (If you bought them from Scratch golf)

My friend has 3 sets. He paid 500 a piece for each set. They are nice blades just like those you have.

I dont think Scratch ever seen an avg golfer on a budget...I have never met a golfer with scratch irons that made less than 120K per yr.

I get a haircut at a salon. I pay 60 bucks. A master stylist cuts my hair to perfection. I dont have any friends that do that. Some dont have the hair to justify it. Some just dont care. Some wont pay it.

:cheesy:

These are the, sort of, posts that give WRX a bad name amongst we commoners.

The only people that I, personally, know that play or have played Scratch irons are 1, a handicapped asst Pro at a local muni, who's lucky if he makes 30K a year and 2, a former Scratch employee who made no where near 120k a year. Rock and Roll lifestyle eventually catches up to us all in some shape, form or fashion. If I'd have know I was gonna live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.

And it's hard to f*ck up a high and tight/fade. I have a former stylist who cuts my hair at a local shop that's been open for over 50 yrs and pay $12 with an $8 tip and I've been going there for over 30 yrs, consistently and NEVER got a bad cut. I stand by the old adage that "a fool and his money are soon parted".

Years ago I went to their shop outside of Salem, Or. and got the most magical 64* with a heel grind that let me slide under the ball and send it vertical. Ever since I wore the grooves off of it my game hasn't been the same. :(

Send it to NCW and have a couple remakes made!

Titleist TSR3 9* w/ GD UB-6 (S)
Titleist TSR2 15* & 21* w/ GD UB-7,8 (S)
Titleist u505 22* w/ Atmos Blue HB 85 (S)
Titleist T200/150 5-PW w/ Steelfiber i110 (S)
Vokey SM8 50*, 55*, 60* w/ S300
Scotty Cameron Toolbox

Saw my first set of Scratch tour dept. irons in the flesh yesterday. They were glorious. Finished with a handsome set of Neopolitan inspired Boyd Blade ferrules.

A random meeting with a fellow WRX member. Really cool to meet another ‘gear head’.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

I got my SB-1s and 2 wedges the same year Scratch announced they were shutting down, and I’m so glad I did. Best irons I’ve ever had, and I’ll play them until they really start to wear out. I know the tour department stuff was a lot more expensive, but the standard heads were ran around $2k for 4-PW and 2 wedges, which was more than some OEMs, but for the quality, and because they were a local company, and because I play with the same set of irons for years, I was okay spending a little extra, and I’ve never regretted it. I was able to get in touch with Patrick to get a 3 iron head after Scratch shut down. My 4 iron was among my favorite clubs in the bag, and the 3i has proved to be a great addition, as well. This will be my 4th year with these irons, and I expect they’ll be in the bag at least another 5 years.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
TaylorMade M2 Tour 18*, Fujikura Rombax P95x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x or Tour Issue or Titleist TSi2 21* (set to 20*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x
Cobra King RF Forged MB - 4-PW, KBS C-Taper 120 Stiff
Corey Paul 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

last year at the Chicago Golf Show, a friend saw a set of Scratch wedges at some vendors used club display.

he didn't know what they were and didn't tell me about it until a few days later.

when he described to logo on the heads I about fell over. forty for the pair. said they were clean and unmarked.

of course we were there Sunday afternoon.

I've missed out on some good stuff but those would have been nice finds.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

I wasn't earning that then, still don't now!

I had a set.

40069087593_d3f7a2c21a_b.jpg230320111517

Well...you clearly were NOT on a budget then. Lol. (If you bought them from Scratch golf)

My friend has 3 sets. He paid 500 a piece for each set. They are nice blades just like those you have.

Scratch had 2 different lines of clubs you could buy. That pic is a pre-made set that was ground in Japan and sold for $150 a club. We also had the hand made Tour Dept clubs that sold for 2x that or more depending on what you wanted. These were made to spec one at a time ground in the USA by Jeff McCoy or Don White.

I appreciate reading all the kind words from everyone. Nice to hear about so many people still enjoying their Scratch clubs! I always got really excited when I randomly saw them in peoples bags out in the wild.

Ari Techner
[email protected]
(still a huge club HO)

I get a haircut at a salon. I pay 60 bucks. A master stylist cuts my hair to perfection. I dont have any friends that do that. Some dont have the hair to justify it. Some just dont care. Some wont pay it.

The only people that I, personally, know that play or have played Scratch irons are 1, a handicapped asst Pro at a local muni, who's lucky if he makes 30K a year and 2, a former Scratch employee who made no where near 120k a year. Rock and Roll lifestyle eventually catches up to us all in some shape, form or fashion. If I'd have know I was gonna live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.

And it's hard to f*ck up a high and tight/fade. I have a former stylist who cuts my hair at a local shop that's been open for over 50 yrs and pay $12 with an $8 tip and I've been going there for over 30 yrs, consistently and NEVER got a bad cut. I stand by the old adage that "a fool and his money are soon parted".

I started at a Barber Shop. Paid 13 bucks...didnt know any better until I grew up a bit. Ventured into a salon and had my hair cut dry, not wetted down and hacked at...dry cut. Using razors to shave/split hair and using point cutting, texturizing shears. If youve got the hair and youve got the money (and youre vain)...then you are doing yourself and the people looking at you a great service.

High and tight fade...thats a skillless cut and you have been overpaying for 30 yrs.

I still have a couple well used wedges out in my barn, but I never got to try the irons. I’m sure there probably were a few lefty sets around, but I never had the opportunity to try them. Always loved the look of Scratch clubs.

If I’m not mistaken, didn’t David Duval play the irons for a bit? I could be wrong, but it seems like he did.

I still have a couple well used wedges out in my barn, but I never got to try the irons. I’m sure there probably were a few lefty sets around, but I never had the opportunity to try them. Always loved the look of Scratch clubs.

If I’m not mistaken, didn’t David Duval play the irons for a bit? I could be wrong, but it seems like he did.

LH irons are SUPER RARE. I think we only made 20 sets in the history of Scratch. 10 blade and 10 CB.

Yes we had David on staff for a while. Great guy and incredibly knowledgeable about clubs. Loves bounce!

Ari Techner
[email protected]
(still a huge club HO)

I started at a Barber Shop. Paid 13 bucks...didnt know any better until I grew up a bit. Ventured into a salon and had my hair cut dry, not wetted down and hacked at...dry cut. Using razors to shave/split hair and using point cutting, texturizing shears. If youve got the hair and youve got the money (and youre vain)...then you are doing yourself and the people looking at you a great service.

High and tight fade...thats a skillless cut and you have been overpaying for 30 yrs.

I beg to differ and I'm not vain. There's more to me going there than just a haircut. You probably get mani and pedicures too. I don't wear pink nor do I hold my pinky out when I drink.