2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Srixon Z585/Z785 opinions

dgarland

I am looking at the Srixon Z585/Z785 irons, possibly in a combo set. I currently game the Callaway X14 Pro Series and I am wondering if anyone has experience with both models. I'm a 4-5 handicap but it is mostly due to my short game. I will go through stretches where my ball striking stinks and I rely on my chipping to save par. So knowing that if you have hit the Srixons let's hear some opinions... particularly if you've also hit the X14's.

Cobra LTDx Driver
Titleist TS2 3 Wood
Titleist TS2 2h & 4h
Srixon Z585 5i

Srixon Z785 6-PW
Callaway MD4 50 & 54
Callaway PM Grind 58
Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5

Awesome irons. Play z785 5-PW. I play a 2 and 4 u65 with matching steel shafts. Nippon Modus3 120.

Go for it and dont look back. I've also heard great things about z585. Combo set would be great.

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
Titliest SM7 50f, 54s, 58d
SC Phantom X 5.5

Great irons. The 7 series are very forgiving for the type of iron that they are. Tested the U, 5's and 7's and settled on the 6-pw on the 7's and a 5 iron 5 series. I personally think that the u and 5 series longer irons are pretty comparable in terms of forgiveness. Only thing I noticed with the U's is that they elevate a little easier than the 5 series. So if you need help in getting the ball in the air, I would check out the U.

Ping G430 Max 10.5, VA Nemesis 55 four

Ping G430 5-18, VA Vylyn 65 four

Ping G430 4H, 5H, 6H, Alta 70S

Mizuno Pro 245, 6-gw. MMT 85S

Ping S159 54S, MMT 105S

Cleveland RTX 6, 60 mid, Tour Rack Raw,Nippon Modus wedge 115

Odyssey Nano 7, stroke lab

Pro V 1X or Z-Star XV

I have the 585's and love them. Came from Mizuno JPX 825 Pros. My only problem/ concern is that i went from KBS Tour 120s to Modus 105s. I am have a bit of a problem getting used to the weight. That being said, every time I've played them, its been less than optimal conditions (cold, cold and windy, wet) So I think that I am going to give it a season with those shafts. But the heads are on point.

Last year I played the 565’s. At the time I got them I hit both 565 and 765. I went with the 565 despite actually hitting the 765 better when demoing them. I figured over the long term the added forgiveness would be better for me (4 handicap and irons are the weak part of my game). They were just OK and I never really was as accurate with them as I thought I would be Ran the JPX 900 forged for a few months and I am now playing the 785’s and love them. My ball striking is much better than it was with the 565’s. The smaller footprint and the little bit of less offset just work better for me. I play them 4 through gap wedge with Modus 120 stiff. I also tried the U85 4 iron but it could not kick the 785 4 iron out of the bag. For me even the long 785 irons are quite forgiving and easy to elevate. Hit them both if you can and see which one is better for you.

Lovely irons. The lofts are very different from 585-785 so just be aware.

I got fit into 585/785 combo. I’m cheap so I now have a full set of 745s. I wanted more control on my short irons so I got the full set of 745s - also the 5 series PW is like 44 degrees - I don’t want to carry four wedges.

But I don’t think you can go wrong with these irons. I’m sure some people have been unhappy with them but they seem to be as universally well liked as anything else.

They are great but I found the 585 spin about 2k rpm less and 785 1k less than the 919F.

Cobra F8 10.5* UST Attas Coool 7S
Cobra F8 5-6 17* Evenflow Blue 75
Cobra F8 Hybrid 19* Smacwrap
Cobra King Utility 22.5* C-Taper Lite
Ping I210 5-UW PX LZ 6.0
Bridgestone XW-1 56* 60* DG Spinner
Odyssey Strokelab Seven S
Chrome Soft
Clicgear 3.5/Cobra King Ultradry

• 2 weeks later...

I play a combo set 585/785/Z-Forged. Hands down the most underrated golf clubs on the market. The feel is amazing. Srixon has been my workhorse since the 745's launched several years back.

Agreed, way under rated. Shame if more places carry them they would sell. U65 was most used utility iron on tour! Srixon 7 series was best seller at PXG as well. I got lucky in my local shop had 1 fitting iron and shafts even though they dont carry them in stock.

Was at PGA Superstore in Orlando for vacation last week...jealous they have EVERYTHING

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
Titliest SM7 50f, 54s, 58d
SC Phantom X 5.5

I play a combo set 585/785/Z-Forged. Hands down the most underrated golf clubs on the market. The feel is amazing. Srixon has been my workhorse since the 745's launched several years back.

Agreed, way under rated. Shame if more places carry them they would sell. U65 was most used utility iron on tour! Srixon 7 series was best seller at PXG as well. I got lucky in my local shop had 1 fitting iron and shafts even though they dont carry them in stock.

Was at PGA Superstore in Orlando for vacation last week...jealous they have EVERYTHING

I could say the same about Bridgestone, too. Really sad that neither Srixon or Bridgestone have much of a retail presence in the US. They make great products but the gimmicky marketing from TM and Cally tend to drown out all the other brands.

I had a 545/745 combo set and still regret selling them to this day. I’ve only hit the 585/785 indoors thus far, but the feel is fantastic and both very forgiving on mishits. Only thing that I feel like would bother me in a combo set is the completely different look on the 585 vs. the 785. Really love the cleaner look of the 7s and wish Srixon hadn’t messed with it on the 5s.

As a staff account and Srixon fitter, my personal opinion is that the z585 is the best all-around iron on the market. It can fit all but the highest handicapper down to scratch levels. It's kind of a unicorn...LOTS of game improvement features in a minimal offset, "players" looking profile at address. Side by side the 585s and the 785s at address are almost indistinguishable, and for the added forgiveness it's really hard not to just go all 585s instead of a combo set. That's what I did for my personal set. I can hit the 785s fine and almost pulled the trigger on a combo set, but when it came down to it, talking to my rep and others at Srixon, with the 585s having the same profile that my eye looks for at address, I went with the advice I was given to just get the more forgiving of the two...extra forgiveness never hurt anyone. And I've found that's what most golfers who actually go through a top to bottom iron fitting do...end up getting a whole set of 585s.

• Like 1

As a staff account and Srixon fitter, my personal opinion is that the z585 is the best all-around iron on the market. It can fit all but the highest handicapper down to scratch levels. It's kind of a unicorn...LOTS of game improvement features in a minimal offset, "players" looking profile at address. Side by side the 585s and the 785s at address are almost indistinguishable, and for the added forgiveness it's really hard not to just go all 585s instead of a combo set. That's what I did for my personal set. I can hit the 785s fine and almost pulled the trigger on a combo set, but when it came down to it, talking to my rep and others at Srixon, with the 585s having the same profile that my eye looks for at address, I went with the advice I was given to just get the more forgiving of the two...extra forgiveness never hurt anyone. And I've found that's what most golfers who actually go through a top to bottom iron fitting do...end up getting a whole set of 585s.

I really struggled with the 585's after "upgrading" to them after my 565's. For me, the 565's were about as good as it got, about as good of an iron as I have ever owned. The 585's had really bad turf interaction, felt clunky to me. Played them for 3 months then dumped them on ebay. Picked up a set of used 785's and the magic is back. At 56 years old had my career best round with them last week. It was a shame that me and the 585's didn't get along, but all is well that ends well with my 785's

I agree with you, in terms of look both 585 and 785 are very similar and appealing. The only problem I see is loft. In my case having a 44º PW would mean 4 additional wedges although is true that a 5 iron (24º) would probably make a 4 iron unnecessary in my set (assuming that gap between 19º hybrid and 5 iron is acceptable).

Cobra AEROJET LS GD AD IZ 6
TM Stealth 15 Ventus Red 6

Callaway UW 19 Hzrdus Smoke Black
Cobra King Utility 4i MMT
Srixon ZX5 MKII 5-7i / ZX7 8-PW SteelFiber i95
Cleveland CBX2 50 / RTX6 56 /RTX6 60
Cobra King Vintage Stingray / Scotty Cameron Newport 2

I have the 585's and love them. Came from Mizuno JPX 825 Pros. My only problem/ concern is that i went from KBS Tour 120s to Modus 105s. I am have a bit of a problem getting used to the weight. That being said, every time I've played them, its been less than optimal conditions (cold, cold and windy, wet) So I think that I am going to give it a season with those shafts. But the heads are on point.

How would you compare KBS tour 120 with Modus 105? I am gaming KBS tours and hit a few shots with 105 but did not like it at all. It felt like if I could not control the club head, probably a weight issue, Tried more extensively Modus 120, just a few grams lighter than KBS Tour, and not a big fan either. I guess in this case is the different profile which I understand is also different to Modus 105

Cobra AEROJET LS GD AD IZ 6
TM Stealth 15 Ventus Red 6

Callaway UW 19 Hzrdus Smoke Black
Cobra King Utility 4i MMT
Srixon ZX5 MKII 5-7i / ZX7 8-PW SteelFiber i95
Cleveland CBX2 50 / RTX6 56 /RTX6 60
Cobra King Vintage Stingray / Scotty Cameron Newport 2

I have a full set of the Z585's (5-A), and my nephew has a combo set, (Z585 in 4-6 & Z785 in 7-P). We both have the Modus 120 shafts.

I'm an 8 hdcp and he's a 2.

After traveling south for a few winter rounds, I love my set and he wishes he went all Z585. The scoring iron play-ability for him in the 785's is great, but when the ground is really soft, the wider sole of the 585 offers him a bit more forgiveness. If the ground is soft and wet, and he hits it perfect with his 785's, the ball responds well. Not so much if he's a bit heavy with the shot. When hitting the 585's from soft wet ground, it's always a good shot.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik

4 Wood: PXG Gen 5

7 Wood: PXG Gen 5 

Irons: Cleveland ZipCore XL (5-AW)
Wedges: Cleveland CBX 4 ZipCore  (54, 58)
Putter: Toulon Memphis

How would you compare KBS tour 120 with Modus 105? I am gaming KBS tours and hit a few shots with 105 but did not like it at all. It felt like if I could not control the club head, probably a weight issue, Tried more extensively Modus 120, just a few grams lighter than KBS Tour, and not a big fan either. I guess in this case is the different profile which I understand is also different to Modus 105

I didn't care for the Nippon 120s and 105s when I first tried them 9 months ago. However, I have the Nippons 120s in stiff in a set of 785s and really like the performance and feel. I don't have to work as hard with the Nippon 120s versus KBS Tours or DG X100s; the Nippon 120s make me smoother. I have KBS 120s in a set of Srixon 945s; not a fan of the combination - way too much spin....in a bad way.

All of this is subjective, of course, but hope it helps.

Titleist TS3
PING 410 3W
PING 19* Hybrid
Titleist U500 4 Iron w/ Hazardous Smoke
PXG Gen 2 0311P 5-W $-Taper
PXG Milled GW
Vokey TVD 56K
Callaway MD4 64S

I probably should have did this, but ultimately went with a combo set. Main driving factor was feel, I just love the slightly more solid feeling from the 785s in the scoring clubs. I previously played a full Z545 set. Hitting the ball much better so decided to try out the combo set. Worse case I will order the Z585 7 and 8 iron.

I probably should have did this, but ultimately went with a combo set. Main driving factor was feel, I just love the slightly more solid feeling from the 785s in the scoring clubs. I previously played a full Z545 set. Hitting the ball much better so decided to try out the combo set. Worse case I will order the Z585 7 and 8 iron.

Hey, the 785s aren't "bad" to have by any means. Like I said, I could probably play just fine with them. But now that I've adjusted to the sole of the 585s, it's sometimes like cheating. Case in point...approach shot this afternoon after work. It was a 7 iron all day long. Put a TERRIBLE swing on it...I mean damn near missed the grooves on the toe side of the club...BAD misshit...ball was right of the pin, but still on the green, only lost about 10 feet of distance. Any other iron I have in the shop that's even remotely similar looking at address would have never gotten to the green. And I felt that shot with the appropriate feedback, as I just one-armed the follow through. It was that bad of a swing from the word go. But I was still putting for birdie, with a pretty routine par on a total s*** shot. For me, with as little as I get to truly play and practice (ironic, but that's how it is running a golf course), for me to get that kind of forgiveness routinely in an iron that looks "player" at address...these irons are as good as it gets.

I have a full set of the Z585's (5-A), and my nephew has a combo set, (Z585 in 4-6 & Z785 in 7-P). We both have the Modus 120 shafts.

I'm an 8 hdcp and he's a 2.

After traveling south for a few winter rounds, I love my set and he wishes he went all Z585. The scoring iron play-ability for him in the 785's is great, but when the ground is really soft, the wider sole of the 585 offers him a bit more forgiveness. If the ground is soft and wet, and he hits it perfect with his 785's, the ball responds well. Not so much if he's a bit heavy with the shot. When hitting the 585's from soft wet ground, it's always a good shot.

I can see that. Granted I'm not the greatest golfer in the world, but the 565 9-A wedges are absolute precision clubs for me. And the 5 sole is SO good from soft turf it's ridiculous. At this time of year, it's dry tight dormant Bermuda lies. It's been a wet month as well I've hit so many shots I thought were a touch heavy that end up pin high it's ridiculous.

PING G430 Max 10.5 

Cleveland Launcher XL Hy-wood 18*
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

• 3 weeks later...

who doesnt like Srixon irons? once u try them u are hooked

• Like 1

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s
[b]3 WOOD[/b]- GBB Epic Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75s
[b]HYBRID[/b]- Titleist 818 H1 19/23 Hybrid Atmos HB Tour Spec 85s
[b]IRONS[/b]- Srixon 765/565 Nippon Modus 105s
[b]GAP[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 52 Modus 105
[b]SAND[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 54 Modus 105
[b]LOB[/b]- Callaway MD3 Chrome 58 Modus 105
[b]PUTTER[/b]- Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
[b]BALL[/b]- Callaway Chrome Soft X[/font][/size]

I am looking at the Srixon Z585/Z785 irons, possibly in a combo set. I currently game the Callaway X14 Pro Series and I am wondering if anyone has experience with both models. I'm a 4-5 handicap but it is mostly due to my short game. I will go through stretches where my ball striking stinks and I rely on my chipping to save par. So knowing that if you have hit the Srixons let's hear some opinions... particularly if you've also hit the X14's.

I am very similar handicap wise, with a good short game. I struggled for years with long irons. I went with a combo set, and am very pleased. I play the 585 in 4-6 (recently added a 4 iron and dropped the hybrid that I used in place of 4 iron). They are great clubs for long irons, and are very forgiving. I play the 785 in 7-PW, both sets with Modus 120S hard stepped. I can't say enough good things about this combo. The only drawback is that it took them three tries to actually send me correctly made clubs as their custom department (and throw in a very incompetent person who takes the orders from the Reps), struggled to send me clubs that were matching in length (8 iron was long than 7 iron and same length as six iron), and they originally soft stepped half the set then sent me back the exact set that I sent them back to fix without fixing anything. The entire ordeal took 2 1/2 months. But when they finally got it right they are great.

Ping G430 Max 9* Ventus Black 60x

Sim2 15* GD Tour Ad Hd 

Callaway X Hot pro 20* Hybrind Tour AD HD 95x

Srixon ZX-7 4-p Modus 120x

Vokey SM9 50, 54, 58

Lab Mezz Max C/B 

I had a set of Callaway X-12s long ago. Had them for many years then got fitted, reshafted them...but my bigger problem was that I wanted something that looked cleaner, allowed me to work the ball a bit better / more feel (as my game improved). I had an interim set for ~3 years after selling the X-12s (Exotics XGC irons...but guessed at the shaft and had issues with the long irons / distance).

Got fitted last year and went with the combo Srixons - 5&6 irons in the 565 / 7-P in the 765, project X 5.5 shafts. Absolutely stellar. I do feel like I have some added forgiveness (and distance) with the 565 long irons and have zero issues with the distance gaps or forgiveness in the 7-P in the 765. I think this is the right place to make the switch vs starting at the 8 iron in the 765 line. I have better feel and control and they look stunning / confident.

I did also get new wedges with the irons to ensure proper degree gapping after the PW. Also added a U65 20 degree Driving iron to my set (same shaft as irons)

Good luck...as a low handicapper (assuming you hit your irons like a low handicapper) - I would not worry at all about forgiveness. I might be able to use the 765 in the 5&6 irons, but I am happy with the added forgiveness of the 565 line...I would do it the same way if I had to choose it again.

Driver (9.0) - Cobra LTDx Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S, 44.5"
Wood (14.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S

Wood (17.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S
Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
Putter - Edel E-1
Ball - Titleist Prov1x
ZGrip Midsized Grips

I can't really tell any discernible difference between 585 and 785 at address as previously stated. The only difference is maybe the topline is a little thinner on the 785 and they are one piece forged which means the feel is quite a bit softer. I'm in the market for new clubs and have narrowed it down between 585/785 combo or 919 Tour. I'm a high spin player with my irons so I'm not so much worried about spin, they both feel great to me. Just want to see which I'm most consistent with.

Callaway Paradym 12* (-1Std) Autoflex SF505X

Callaway Paradym Heavenwood

Ping G425M 20.5* Tensei Raw Org 75S

Ping G425 22* ADIZ85S

Ping G425 26* ADIZ85S

T100S 6-7 (1* weak) Aerotech FC115

T100 8-PW  Aerotech FC115

Titleist T100 50*  Aerotech FC115

Vokey SM8 54.12D/58.8M Aerotech FC115
SC Champ Choice Newport 2 Stability Shaft Tour

• 2 weeks later...

Just picked up a set of these and noticed that the short irons mainly the 9 and PW have some thick soles, thicker than the long irons. Anyone that has played these have any experience with the turf interaction with the wide sole? Might consider getting the 8, 9 or PW in the 785 but might be a large gap from the 585 iron loft.