Your Easiest to hit blades?

Stonewalled

I've read that the Fourteen FH1000 play easy but I haven't tried them.

I have read the reviews on the 1000's from back in 2015?? or so. Always wanted a set but never had the pleasure. Love the satin look of those. I have some TC-910 CB's that feel fantastic, I would bet my right n-t that those 1000's are heavenly.

They're not. They're pretty dead feeling no matter the shaft. Aesthetically, one of the most beautiful, performance wise they were very underwhelming.

I would try a Maltby TS1 head paired with a reliable shaft. Has a fairly high MPF rating for an MB type iron.

Snow will melt soon Stone!

Good thing I'M not a betting man, ouch. Kinda figures something so pretty is not all it's cracked up to be. 3 dressed up as a 9. Those TS1's are worth a look. Thx KC.

Let's flipping hope so, -39.8 C was too dang cold, -16 today, that feels like spring. Not... it will be a few months yet unfortunately.

I'd have to disagree with this. I've played the FH1000's for most of last year and they are very forgiving for a blade and felt good to me. Are they the best feeling blade I've ever hit? No, but not a dead feeling. I was playing the newest version of it though. I know they had several ones including one that was cast.

Another good one is the Cobra Fly Z Pro's. For some reason the King MB's didn't feel as good and weren't as forgiving as the Fly Z's. Wish I had never sold mine.

I really like the look of those FH1000's and they are a few years old now so the prices are getting reasonable. I will put those on my list to try. Love the look.

Iv'e got the 7-pw in the Fly Z pro's, they are very compact and feel pretty sweet. Lots of love for those around here. Thanks again for your input IHFN.

Adams MB2

Maltby has given an insanely high MPF rating to the Cleveland 588MB... if you buy-in to that sorta thing. I've always wanted to try a set myself... but I always end up finding something else to blow $300 on.

2019:
G400LST 8.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 125MSI 60 stiff
Cobra 3/4 f9; Atmos Blue TS 7s
Cobra 4/5 f8+; Atmos Red TS 8s
3i - PW Miura CB1008; KBS Tour 120s; 2up +1/2”
53* TM HiToe; KBS Wedge
59* TM HiToe; KBS Wedge

Byron Morgan DH89 flow neck 2* loft 71* lie
Bettinardi Something Fishy Prototype BB0; Registry #RJB2821; 2* loft; 71* lie

I have a high handicap, and have never broken 90, but seriously think I will this year. Have been playing Callaway X Hot for a few years now, my first set of irons ever (that happens when you pick up the game at 50). I realize I'd have a more difficult time finding the center of the face with blades, but assuming I did, what is the benefit of hitting flush with a blade compared to hitting it flush with my current set? My big problem had been hitting fat, and that's happening less and less now, so I'm thinking that I could probably avoid that mistake regardless of the club type.

I have a Miura 56* sand wedge that I love, and am tempted to try their blades and see if all my shots could feel like a hot knife going through butter.

Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5 GD Tour AD Red 55 S
4W: Callaway Mavrik 16.5
Hyb: Wishon 2 & 3 (18*, 21*)
Redbird Avian Forged 5-GW
SW/LW: Miura 56*, 60* K grind

Putter: Miura KM008
Srixon Q Star soon to try Vice Pro Zero

Cleveland 588 MB’s

Tried a guys out on the range, I am bagging MP32’s. They both felt easy for a blade to hit. But a blade is always going to penalize a mis-struck shot.

Taylormade M4 tour 8.5*   Attas 4U 6X

Srixon Z H45  16*

Callaway Apex MB raw 4-PW  

Cleveland 588    52,60

Odyssey WH PRO 7
-----------------------------------------

Many know me for my MB2 passion. I have had 11 sets..... and probably heading into my 12th set after reading this. LOL

Adams really had something going. The added weights help get the ball up and IMO enlarge the sweet spot. They do have a bit to much offset but that can also help in many ways. Especially for someone just getting into blades.

The only other blade easier than MB2's are United SBB Tours / Pro blades. Longer heel to toe they are SO easy to play. I have a full set if anyone is interested... :)

Wow BB you are a true MB2 connoisseur 11 sets very impressive. So u keep buying and selling? What was your favourite set of them? I picked up a very well used set of satin's to try out. Wanted the raw but these were priced right. Probably the most worn clubs I have ever owned but man do they hit and play well for something that's not usually in my wheelhouse. I can remember hitting some shots with them last year and looking down at the club and think I'm not supposed to be able to do that with these. I can remember reading the My Golf Spy review on these a 100X and lusting for a set. Well got me some and looking for more. 11 sets u say.......

Anyone say 690MB? :)

690MB is good but because of the improved leading edge, the 716MBs are better IMHO

Old stuff:
1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver   1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood   1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood
1984 Ben Hogan Apex PC 2-E   1968 Wilson Dual Wedge
1964 Acushnet O-SET M6S Bullseye Putter

New stuff
Cobra ZL 10.5 driver (Matrix HD6 s-flex)  Titleist TSR2 18* fairway wood (Matrix Code-8 s-flex)   Adams A2P 20* hybrid (Rombax 8D07HB s-flex)
Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW (Apex 4 soft-stepped)    Callaway Mack Daddy wedges 52, 56, 60 (DG S200)
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

Anyone say 690MB? :)

690MB is good but because of the improved leading edge, the 716MBs are better IMHO

I agree, I have hit the 716 before and liked them, but as another poster mentioned, I think why they are "easier" to me is the longer blade length.

Just took them out for a spin yesterday instead of my usual 900F, and they sure did not disappoint!

Titleist TSR3 10 Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore+ 5S

Titleist 915F 16.5 Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Titleist TS3 19 Fujikura Fuel 85HB S

Srixon ZX5 4, ZX7 5-PW Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 S

Titleist Vokey Design SM9 52F, 58M True Temper DG S200

Swag Carbon Black Oxide Handsome Too KBS GPS Tour 120 

Shapland Stand Bag 2.3

Probably irrelevant here but the '59-6-61 Wilson Staff Dyna-Powered blades had a lot of beef to them. I started with the Medallions, Haig Ultras, played the Apexs (4 shafts were nice, and the Hogan SWs were great)' also had a really nice set of the VIPs, some Mizuno MP-can't remembers (18 or 30, were they models? dunno...), also Cleveland (Classics?).... but those Dyna-Powered (the "ed" vs later Dynapower) were my favorites. I have a set I snagged off of the bay last year and plan to restaft. They were the most-confidence-instilling I ever played. As I am just back (after a long time away from the game) I tried cavity backs and now have been playing newer 716 Titleists. They have larger faces, top line of the TMBs seems thick like the old Dyna-Powered Staffs but there is a lot of offset. A lot of blades players here made good points about the look at address behind the ball. Some who are used to zero offset and press a lot might find the leading edge closer to the front part of the hosel preferable.

A lot of the modern blades I've waggled and hit at a few golf shops in CT over the last year seem to have that leading edge set back a little. They have pretty tall and wide faces so you've got a lot of room to get sloppy. i always liked the mass of the old Staff head. I have six or seven other sets up until maybe the button back, which I think might have come out around '68. The blade seemed to have less mass to it. Probably just me but that's where going to a goof warehouse with big racks of many generations of blades is fun. Grap lots of five irons. Or three irons.

I have read in the forums a lot about CB vs blade and the debate. This thread is a good one. Lots of good input about modern stuff. I think the new Titlesist 716s are fine clubs. They are not as new as the 718 but newer. They do interact well with the turf, but last year it was really wet here and I dig the day,ights out of the turf, play everything back.

Of all the new vs old I loved my oldest Staffs. Before 1959 was a Turfrider model. I have a set of those sans they were mallets too, but didn't have quite the same refinement as the 59-61s. (I should point out that my years 59-61 might have overlapped iterations, others here are far more expert than me).

The old clubs are worth new charts. One day I plan to perform the operation of tapping out the pins, torquing off the heads, drilling out new shafts, adapting them, figuring out how to jam in some lead or other pin replacement, or silver-coloredmepoxy, turning the ferrules, etc.

The psychology behind hitting a blade is as diametrically opposed as is any other club: putter, driver, GIR CB, etc. if you are psyched out you will doubt yourself, grip too tight, get quick, whatever, fail. Don't let anyone tell you any golf club is better or worse it is your journey, and buttery blade ball striking is very satisfying. Like draining a putt, or killing a drive. You might like a bigger head, thin top line, slight offset, in a satin finish. I might like the reverse. Both are easy to hit when we are swinging well, and equally the opposite when we let doubt creep into our minds.

I am sorry I see I'm rattling on. Bruce Litsky was a good long iron player and would hit his 1-iron like it was his 7. If you grab a blade and fall in love with it and you get into a bad way with it, think like you are swinging a 7-iron and in a few shots you'll be back in business. (Sorry to go on. My username was not bc I think I am Mr. Blades. It was a tongue in cheek joke between a friend and I when I joined here, as we used to play vintage golf clubs in horrid weather on links out in Great Britain. His homeland....)

Probably irrelevant here but the '59-6-61 Wilson Staff Dyna-Powered blades had a lot of beef to them. I started with the Medallions, Haig Ultras, played the Apexs (4 shafts were nice, and the Hogan SWs were great)' also had a really nice set of the VIPs, some Mizuno MP-can't remembers (18 or 30, were they models? dunno...), also Cleveland (Classics?).... but those Dyna-Powered (the "ed" vs later Dynapower) were my favorites. I have a set I snagged off of the bay last year and plan to restaft. They were the most-confidence-instilling I ever played. As I am just back (after a long time away from the game) I tried cavity backs and now have been playing newer 716 Titleists. They have larger faces, top line of the TMBs seems thick like the old Dyna-Powered Staffs but there is a lot of offset. A lot of blades players here made good points about the look at address behind the ball. Some who are used to zero offset and press a lot might find the leading edge closer to the front part of the hosel preferable.

A lot of the modern blades I've waggled and hit at a few golf shops in CT over the last year seem to have that leading edge set back a little. They have pretty tall and wide faces so you've got a lot of room to get sloppy. i always liked the mass of the old Staff head. I have six or seven other sets up until maybe the button back, which I think might have come out around '68. The blade seemed to have less mass to it. Probably just me but that's where going to a goof warehouse with big racks of many generations of blades is fun. Grap lots of five irons. Or three irons.

I have read in the forums a lot about CB vs blade and the debate. This thread is a good one. Lots of good input about modern stuff. I think the new Titlesist 716s are fine clubs. They are not as new as the 718 but newer. They do interact well with the turf, but last year it was really wet here and I dig the day,ights out of the turf, play everything back.

Of all the new vs old I loved my oldest Staffs. Before 1959 was a Turfrider model. I have a set of those sans they were mallets too, but didn't have quite the same refinement as the 59-61s. (I should point out that my years 59-61 might have overlapped iterations, others here are far more expert than me).

The old clubs are worth new charts. One day I plan to perform the operation of tapping out the pins, torquing off the heads, drilling out new shafts, adapting them, figuring out how to jam in some lead or other pin replacement, or silver-coloredmepoxy, turning the ferrules, etc.

The psychology behind hitting a blade is as diametrically opposed as is any other club: putter, driver, GIR CB, etc. if you are psyched out you will doubt yourself, grip too tight, get quick, whatever, fail. Don't let anyone tell you any golf club is better or worse it is your journey, and buttery blade ball striking is very satisfying. Like draining a putt, or killing a drive. You might like a bigger head, thin top line, slight offset, in a satin finish. I might like the reverse. Both are easy to hit when we are swinging well, and equally the opposite when we let doubt creep into our minds.

I am sorry I see I'm rattling on. Bruce Litsky was a good long iron player and would hit his 1-iron like it was his 7. If you grab a blade and fall in love with it and you get into a bad way with it, think like you are swinging a 7-iron and in a few shots you'll be back in business. (Sorry to go on. My username was not bc I think I am Mr. Blades. It was a tongue in cheek joke between a friend and I when I joined here, as we used to play vintage golf clubs in horrid weather on links out in Great Britain. His homeland....)

Very impressive response bladesoshanter. I've been a member for a few years now and your post is one of the best that I have read. Your post reads like u have been a member here since inception, nevermind it's only your 8 th response. Don't be surprised if everyone starts calling you MR. Blades. Well done sir.

The J15MB has got the best sole profile for me of any club I've ever played, blade or otherwise. I put on a set of 70g Lamkin1150 grips, which brought the swing weight down, which is also good for me. Finish it off with the best sound and feel in golf. Bridgestone has got a corner on feel, and this club is with the best of the bunch.

Not technically mine, but my buddy has a set of MP-32's that I hit as often as I can. They are far more forgiving than I expected from a blade and the ball flight and feel that I get on a good stroke makes time almost stand still. The only other set of blades I've hit were the Titleist 690's (I think that he had before). To me they seemed almost impossible to hit.

Ping G430 Max KaiLi White 60 Stiff (9 degree)
Cobra King RAD 3 Wood Fujikura Motore X F3 Stiff (14.5 degree setting)
Mizuno CLK Hybrid (19 and 22 degree, I swap them out depending on the wind in the parking lot)

Mizuno JPX-921 Hot Metal Pro 4-5 Irons - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts

Mizuno JPX-921 Forged 6 Iron - G Wedge - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts 
Titleist SM9 54 and 58 
Scotty Cameron Phantom X6 CS (34")

They all seem the same to me. Hit 'em in the sweet spot, and they're easy. Miss the sweet spot, and you'll feel it.

Hit em good

Driver: Ping G25

4w & 7w: Ping G25

23° Hybrid: Ping G25

5i - pw: Mizuno MP64

54° & 58°: Cleveland RTX 4 raw

Putter: The Wilson 8802 (vintage model)

Ball:  Titleist Pro V1x
Bag: Original Jones Golf Bag (green)

Adams MB2

Maltby has given an insanely high MPF rating to the Cleveland 588MB... if you buy-in to that sorta thing. I've always wanted to try a set myself... but I always end up finding something else to blow $300 on.

The Maltby MPF was why I initially picked the MacGregor 1025M irons. I found it to be true enough in the case of this iron.

While not a forged blade per se, the Ping S59-55 series irons all had high MPF ratings..and were actually easier to use than the i3 Blades etc.

Adams MB2

The Maltby MPF was why I initially picked the MacGregor 1025M irons. I found it to be true enough in the case of this iron.

While not a forged blade per se, the Ping S59-55 series irons all had high MPF ratings..and were actually easier to use than the i3 Blades etc.

While trying to steer clear of a GI vs blades debate.... I’ve also found the MPF ratings to be pretty useful if you really take the time to understand what they mean. I’ve hit several sets of “GI” irons and several sets of blades only to return to the MPF ratings and find them to confirm what I felt when hitting them. There are many playable blades for us moderate handicap peeps... and for MY game a players iron be it CB or MB helps me improve via feedback. One reason why I LOVE ping s55 and I really want to try 588 mbs

2019:
G400LST 8.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 125MSI 60 stiff
Cobra 3/4 f9; Atmos Blue TS 7s
Cobra 4/5 f8+; Atmos Red TS 8s
3i - PW Miura CB1008; KBS Tour 120s; 2up +1/2”
53* TM HiToe; KBS Wedge
59* TM HiToe; KBS Wedge

Byron Morgan DH89 flow neck 2* loft 71* lie
Bettinardi Something Fishy Prototype BB0; Registry #RJB2821; 2* loft; 71* lie

MP18MB. Can’t wait for a second season with them.

Winter is upon us, cabin fever has not set in just yet. But..... Lots of time to think about last year's iron choices.

Went thru the lot of irons I seem to collect during the course of last year, and my best memories are from shots hit with my MB2's and MP-5's. I'm no low capper so my game with these irons starts at 7-pw, usually combo set something more GI in the longer irons.

Anyway just wanted to hear from the member's on there favourite easiest to hit blades.

MP18MB. Can't wait for a second season with them.

Winter is upon us, cabin fever has not set in just yet. But..... Lots of time to think about last year's iron choices.

Went thru the lot of irons I seem to collect during the course of last year, and my best memories are from shots hit with my MB2's and MP-5's. I'm no low capper so my game with these irons starts at 7-pw, usually combo set something more GI in the longer irons.

Anyway just wanted to hear from the member's on there favourite easiest to hit blades.

Hey Chuck, those MP 18 mb's look like they have been made to bring back the old school look of proper blades. Great choice. With No added fluff, they make my MP-5's look like GI irons. Think everyone in our area is looking forward to another season, bring it on. :)

"Easiest to hit" is entirely subjective in threads like this. WTS, I'll add my suggestion. The irons that proved to me that I could effectively play MB blades. Periodically, when the swing is decent. That blades are not as difficult to play as they're made out to be. That they contain a certain "purity of essence". Then again, I'm not trying to hit a MB from 190 yards out. I know my limitations. With the right shaft, from appropriate distances, have not found anything quite like them.

'99 Hogan Apex MB's.

AGREED!! The 1999 Hogan Apex blades are SUPERB, with plenty of "bounce" throughout the set, but not all are identical. I have a set which have no offset at all, but my son's set has quite a lot of offset in the long irons. I wonder why, as they should be identical. Any ideas?

Blades that have some tech in them such as tungsten inserts are going to offer more forgiveness on mishits. Both the newest Cobra King MBs and last generation have that feature. By all accounts, PXG is plenty forgiving as well. I wouldn’t really call the MP5 a true blade because it’s got a lot more offset than the MP4 and has a much larger head, but it was a very forgiving club for me.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

Wilson Fg tour 100

I'm guessing this is why it is impossible to find them for sale!

Hopefully Wilson releases the new Prototype's Pronto. Might be a new favourite on the horizon.

Wilson says they will be out in May!

Funny story. I was searching for FG 100s for a good month and then gave up on them due to zero luck. Debated waiting for these but needed my bag set in stone by March. Then I lucked my way into two brand new sets of 100s still wrapped in plastic. Now that I have what I was looking for I still want the newer cleaner ones! I blame wrx :)

Anyway I decided to try to clean them up a bit. I think they would have sold more if they looked more like this, which is more like the model they were replicating. Either way I love the direction they went with the new ones and think the 100s are great irons regardless of the busyness.