2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Rocco and Alcohol

playar32

For the person who stated, "no one kicks an addiction." I disagree.

Every single day people quit smoking, and never smoke another day in their lives.

Same goes for booze, pills and eating disorders, etc.

In order to beat something you must think and act "with the end in mind." If a person lacks a desired end result then it can be said that person lacks a road map to follow and will more than likely fall back into old behaviors that support the addiction. One must believe he or she can truly kick it 100% or they will be trapped forever in pattern of behaviors that feed their addiction.

As I stated on or about my first post - Addiction is the inability to stop. Those who get the help and learn how to stop are the ones that have a higher probability of kicking the addiction. That takes guts and a major shift in daily behavior.

You really do like to hear yourself pontificate. What you are spewing is your opinion; in the real world of Alcoholism and the insanity associated with same, your posts have no validity. Much like me posting about how it is to play Professional Golf, because I have seen it, watched it and read about it. I sincerely hope that you never have to deal with the reality of Alcoholism with close family members or friends. The “advice” you seem to believe is helpful is not even close.....as an example, explain how one gets “guts”.? It compares to willpower when you have diarrhea. You also don’t generally have a shift in daily behavior without surrendering and following a proven plan, hopefully with Mentors that have had the experience.. As has been stated in this thread, Alcoholism is a Physical, Mental and Spiritual disease. Quit drinking and you have the mental ( insanity) and spiritual problems. The effect and suffering on family members is another major issue that does not go away because the Alcoholic quits. Yes, “ cognitive therapy” might help, but generally that could be PART of the Recovery ( not cure) plan. One of my close friends, tried drinking after 30 years, within a very short time he was locked up and needed hospitalization....nearly died. Thankfully he is sober, today. What you are not understanding is that the mental changes that need to be made after abstaining take a long time and continued follow through, we did not get that way overnight and generally the recovery and growing process takes a lifetime. You might ask yourself why you are posting about something that you have no experience with? I would rally like an answer to that??

Every single day people quit smoking, and never smoke another day in their lives.

In order to beat something you must think and act "with the end in mind." If a person lacks a desired end result then it can be said that person lacks a road map to follow and will more than likely fall back into old behaviors that support the addiction. One must believe he or she can truly kick it 100% or they will be trapped forever in pattern of behaviors that feed their addiction.

As I stated on or about my first post - Addiction is the inability to stop. Those who get the help and learn how to stop are the ones that have a higher probability of kicking the addiction. That takes guts and a major shift in daily behavior.

You really do like to hear yourself pontificate. What you are spewing is your opinion; in the real world of Alcoholism and the insanity associated with same, your posts have no validity. Much like me posting about how it is to play Professional Golf, because I have seen it, watched it and read about it. I sincerely hope that you never have to deal with the reality of Alcoholism with close family members or friends. The “advice” you seem to believe is helpful is not even close.....as an example, explain how one gets “guts”.? It compares to willpower when you have diarrhea. You also don’t generally have a shift in daily behavior without surrendering and following a proven plan, hopefully with Mentors that have had the experience.. As has been stated in this thread, Alcoholism is a Physical, Mental and Spiritual disease. Quit drinking and you have the mental ( insanity) and spiritual problems. The effect and suffering on family members is another major issue that does not go away because the Alcoholic quits. Yes, “ cognitive therapy” might help, but generally that could be PART of the Recovery ( not cure) plan. One of my close friends, tried drinking after 30 years, within a very short time he was locked up and needed hospitalization....nearly died. Thankfully he is sober, today. What you are not understanding is that the mental changes that need to be made after abstaining take a long time and continued follow through, we did not get that way overnight and generally the recovery and growing process takes a lifetime. You might ask yourself why you are posting about something that you have no experience with? I would rally like an answer to that??

Alcoholism is NOT a life sentence. There is hope.

All of us have seen or experienced a friend or family member tied up in addiction. To point at alcoholism and say it's a different sort of addiction and it's special and should be separated from the other addictions is not seeing the big picture. Don't blanket my thoughts and opinions because it's raw for you.

I am from the school of thought that says - if you dig yourself into a hole, only you can dig yourself out. And digging yourself out takes a combination of treatments. Just like one pain reliever works better for some and not for others.

Re: You might ask yourself why you are posting about something that you have no experience with?

Along that line of logic, what you're saying is that I can't or shouldn't or have no business participating in a conversation about professional golf because I have no experience playing professional golf.

This thread has taken a turn for the worse...

Was bound to happen once the excuses showed up.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Fergie is one of the more thoughtful and considerate of the members here.

I, for one, don't appreciate your taking a shot at him. He has an opinion. That is what these forums are for - opinions.

FWIW, I have learned many things by reading comments from various members here, some of whom I have gotten to know, and other that I am just beginning to know about.

Let me pontificate a bit for you: the rules of this board ask you to treat others with respect in youjr postings. I don't think that your last post (the one that I am responding to) really did that.

Carry on -

Edit: I respect the right each and every member here has to post their opinion. If I listen or read with an open mind, I will learn something new.

I have been called an alcoholic by those speciallists who are paid big $$$$ to evaluate and put "alcoholics" into the "system" - all because I have had alcohol in the morning. Does that really make me an alcoholic? My, my, my - I worked a winter job, 11pm - 7 am shift - and, when I had a drink before I went to sleep...I became an alcoholic.

If you can't tell, I have very little respect for the "professional" evaluators, but I have worlds of respect for the members of this forum......

well....except Opinder....

I couldn't disagree more. Intelligent (or those trying to be) discourse is what separates us from all other species and defines our being. We have a deeper understanding of others, and more importantly ourselves, when beliefs and ideas are challenged. It's the inability of many of us to truly listen to what another has said, reflect on it, and adjust your belief system if their statement has more validity than your own. Our ego rarely allows us to do this with any amount of efficiency.

Paradym 10.5

Epic 3w 15

Callaway Apex UW 21*

Titelist T150

Callaway Jaws 5 50*, 54*

Cleve Zip 60*

Ping PLD3/Rahm Rossie S/TP Mills Fleetwood custom

Absolutely no one can tell anyone else that they are alcoholic, that is up to each person to decide. I can tell you about symptoms and my experience and my experience with Recovery and the template and Mentors that I associate with. My story and experience is all I have (much, learned from others).

The result is expressed in what My life has been and what it is today and if you might perceive that my change has been a success.

If someone does not want what I have they should seek other avenues, hopefully sooner than later.

For me, again, Alcoholism is about Life and Death, not random thoughts or “maybes”. For me, “to drink is to die” and I have experience with this; my son nearly died in my arms from alcohol overdose 11 years ago., I nearly died, 40 years ago. Am extremely grateful he is sober today. He never had to see me drunk and sick,, another thing I am very grateful for.

I won’t post again and my intent is not to suggest that anyone else shouldn’t.

I try to live by; “You can’t give away something you don’t have” and “don’t speak beyond your experience”, told to me for good reasons .

Absolutely no one can tell anyone else that they are alcoholic, that is up to each person to decide. I can tell you about symptoms and my experience and my experience with Recovery and the template and Mentors that I associate with. My story and experience is all I have (much, learned from others).

The result is expressed in what My life has been and what it is today and if you might perceive that my change has been a success.

If someone does not want what I have they should seek other avenues, hopefully sooner than later.

For me, again, Alcoholism is about Life and Death, not random thoughts or “maybes”. For me, “to drink is to die” and I have experience with this; my son nearly died in my arms from alcohol overdose 11 years ago., I nearly died, 40 years ago. Am extremely grateful he is sober today. He never had to see me drunk and sick,, another thing I am very grateful for.

I won’t post again and my intent is not to suggest that anyone else shouldn’t.

I try to live by; “You can’t give away something you don’t have” and “don’t speak beyond your experience”, told to me for good reasons .

Brother.

I appreciate your candor. And I have to say. We’re all saying versions of the exact same thing. None wrong , none perfectly correct.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Fascinating discussion,and I appreciate the different perspectives. I am very perplexed about the entire addiction phenomena.

I think there's more to it than science and/or behaviorists can currently explain...most definitely a very nuanced thing. Why do some become addicts so easily. I suppose we're all different...body chemistry, life experience, psychological trauma, pain, insecurities, etc...nature v. nurture, who knows the root cause(s)?

I've had 4 surgeries over the years from sports injuries, each time prescribed 10 mg percocets. Guess I'm lucky; one pill makes me feel pretty good, but I get sick as a dog if I take two. After 2 days I'm done with them, period. (And I'm no saint or super-disciplined type, a regular enough drinker to probably be labeled an alcoholic by some folk's definition, and I like a few drinks on the course to help with arthritis pain (actually play better) sorta like Rocco explains.

Anyway, buddy of mine goes in for back surgery, gets the same 10 mg percs, and 3 months later he's spending $400 per day buying oxys on the street in Manhattan. He's a Wall St. dude, so could afford it, but fully acknowledged that if he couldn't have afforded it would have likely turned to heroin. He's not even a big drinker! Took a stint in rehab for him to "recover".

I'm convinced there's much more to it than the old "addictive personality" explanation. Seems like everyone responds differently to these substances.

I've known and currently know plenty of alcoholics. The worst ones have one thing in common, no "shut-off valve". Once they get rolling it doesnt matter if they're supposed to be home for dinner, have work or whatever obligation the next day, etc., and come last call they'll typically order two plus a "roadie", even if all its gonna do is make 'em feel shittier the next day. Tough to explain, and tough to overcome for sure

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

lol... I've "kicked" my addiction hundreds and hundreds of times in that case. The minute I decide that I 'kicked' alcohol is the minute I increase my chances of relapse 10 fold.

Don't stop trying.

How so?

Stay Well,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

So that brings to mind the lunacy of legalizing pot.

It really never ceases to amaze me how many lives alcohol has impacted. From a sociological perspective it actually fascinates me how much of a drinking culture we live in.

it's one of those legal things that is mind boggling at best...

GHIN Index 12.9
LH Epic Flash Driver-LH, 10.5*, Project X EvenFlow Riptide 50 (Light)
LH Callaway Rogue 5-wood (18*), 7-wood (20*); Aldila Synergy 60-Reg
LH Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-AW, Recoil Dart 75 F3
LH Cleveland RTX 50*, 54*, 58*
LH Odyssey Double Wide Stroke Lab Putter

So that brings to mind the lunacy of legalizing pot.

It really never ceases to amaze me how many lives alcohol has impacted. From a sociological perspective it actually fascinates me how much of a drinking culture we live in.

it's one of those legal things that is mind boggling at best...

I can rattle off a massive list of issues from alcohol abuse, so tell me more about the scourge of society that use legal or medical mj

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

You really do like to hear yourself pontificate. What you are spewing is your opinion; in the real world of Alcoholism and the insanity associated with same, your posts have no validity. Much like me posting about how it is to play Professional Golf, because I have seen it, watched it and read about it. I sincerely hope that you never have to deal with the reality of Alcoholism with close family members or friends. The advice you seem to believe is helpful is not even close.....as an example, explain how one gets guts.? It compares to willpower when you have diarrhea. You also dont generally have a shift in daily behavior without surrendering and following a proven plan, hopefully with Mentors that have had the experience.. As has been stated in this thread, Alcoholism is a Physical, Mental and Spiritual disease. Quit drinking and you have the mental ( insanity) and spiritual problems. The effect and suffering on family members is another major issue that does not go away because the Alcoholic quits. Yes, cognitive therapy might help, but generally that could be PART of the Recovery ( not cure) plan. One of my close friends, tried drinking after 30 years, within a very short time he was locked up and needed hospitalization....nearly died. Thankfully he is sober, today. What you are not understanding is that the mental changes that need to be made after abstaining take a long time and continued follow through, we did not get that way overnight and generally the recovery and growing process takes a lifetime. You might ask yourself why you are posting about something that you have no experience with? I would rally like an answer to that??

No. I genuinely think it is you who arent understanding what hes saying. Boiled to simplest form hes saying its a choice. A choice one may need mountains of help with. Plans galore. Sponsors a plenty. But a choice.

Some do not seek any help. They chose to take the path they are on. No other way to explain it. If you get sober its because you chose to at some point. Yes ? If you stay that way its a choice to do so yes ? So we can deduce the opposite to also be true. Maybe not a conscious decision to Drink to excess initially . But a decision to continue doing it.

Getting defensive and arguing no fault is illustrating exactly what I said in an earlier post.

Here’s the dilemma. For 5 years before I got sober, literally every single day I vowed to not drink that day. And I mean with the most committed of intentions. And every single day, I nonetheless drank.

Let that sink in.

Now eventually, for a lot of reasons, with a lot of help and after really getting my azz kicked, I got sober.

But I’d never describe my process of sobriety as a ‘choice’ or ‘decision’ I made. And those hundreds who went to rehab or AA with me who relapsed over and over and over see the same thing.

The ‘decision’ to get sober was necessary but not sufficient. The point is, people lose the power to choose. Every day for 5 years, as I look back at this 20 years later, I genuinely tried to choose not to drink and failed. That kind of challenge knocks you to your knees.

So all you guys who have no clue ... have no clue.

Sure plenty of addicts use disease and a scapegoat and rationale but inside they just don’t know how to find what it takes.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

No. I genuinely think it is you who aren’t understanding what he’s saying. Boiled to simplest form he’s saying it’s a choice. A choice one may need mountains of help with. Plans galore. Sponsors a plenty. But a choice.

Some do not seek any help. They chose to take the path they are on. No other way to explain it. If you get sober it’s because you chose to at some point. Yes ? If you stay that way it’s a choice to do so yes ? So we can deduce the opposite to also be true. Maybe not a conscious decision to Drink to excess initially . But a decision to continue doing it.

Getting defensive and arguing no fault is illustrating exactly what I said in an earlier post.

Here’s the dilemma. For 5 years before I got sober, literally every single day I vowed to not drink that day. And I mean with the most committed of intentions. And every single day, I nonetheless drank.

Let that sink in.

Now eventually, for a lot of reasons, with a lot of help and after really getting my azz kicked, I got sober.

But I’d never describe my process of sobriety as a ‘choice’ or ‘decision’ I made. And those hundreds who went to rehab or AA with me who relapsed over and over and over see the same thing.

The ‘decision’ to get sober was necessary but not sufficient. The point is, people lose the power to choose. Every day for 5 years, as I look back at this 20 years later, I genuinely tried to choose not to drink and failed. That kind of challenge knocks you to your knees.

Sure plenty of addicts use disease and a scapegoat and rationale but inside they just don’t know how to find what it takes.

I’m not at all discounting your journey. But you have to admit that no matter how long it took for that choice to take root. You still had to choose. Yes ? You weren’t telling people you didn’t want help. Or didn’t want to get better were you ? Some people do this. I’ve heard it with my own ears. They have not yet made that choice to live.

I’m not trying to be disrespectful. At all. I respect you and your posts a great deal. But I’ll stand by my posts that you can lead a horse to water. But you can’t make him drink ( pardon the pun ). He has to choose to. I have no illusions that everyone can quit cold turkey. But they have to take the baby steps if that’s what it takes. Some people refuse to do that. Which is a choice.

Look. I know this is a multi angled and touchy subject. I’m trying very very hard not to come off as talking down to anyone. I know that’s how I sound sometimes on any subject , especially one like this. As I’ve said , I’ve been in this since birth. Not by choice. I could tell you things that would absolutely disgust you that I saw my dad do. He wasn’t drunk all the time. Not even every day. Just Bender’s of rage. And I’ll never see it as anything but a choice he made. Period. We have to take responsibility for every other action in life one way or another. I see the “ I couldn’t help it “ idea as skating that responsibility ( yet again ). I just don’t think I’ll live long enough to see it any other way. I’m sorry for that opinion. I know before I say it that it may offend. I’m just trying to explain genuinely my thoughts on the subject.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

You really do like to hear yourself pontificate. What you are spewing is your opinion; in the real world of Alcoholism and the insanity associated with same, your posts have no validity. Much like me posting about how it is to play Professional Golf, because I have seen it, watched it and read about it. I sincerely hope that you never have to deal with the reality of Alcoholism with close family members or friends. The advice you seem to believe is helpful is not even close.....as an example, explain how one gets guts.? It compares to willpower when you have diarrhea. You also dont generally have a shift in daily behavior without surrendering and following a proven plan, hopefully with Mentors that have had the experience.. As has been stated in this thread, Alcoholism is a Physical, Mental and Spiritual disease. Quit drinking and you have the mental ( insanity) and spiritual problems. The effect and suffering on family members is another major issue that does not go away because the Alcoholic quits. Yes, cognitive therapy might help, but generally that could be PART of the Recovery ( not cure) plan. One of my close friends, tried drinking after 30 years, within a very short time he was locked up and needed hospitalization....nearly died. Thankfully he is sober, today. What you are not understanding is that the mental changes that need to be made after abstaining take a long time and continued follow through, we did not get that way overnight and generally the recovery and growing process takes a lifetime. You might ask yourself why you are posting about something that you have no experience with? I would rally like an answer to that??

No. I genuinely think it is you who arent understanding what hes saying. Boiled to simplest form hes saying its a choice. A choice one may need mountains of help with. Plans galore. Sponsors a plenty. But a choice.

Some do not seek any help. They chose to take the path they are on. No other way to explain it. If you get sober its because you chose to at some point. Yes ? If you stay that way its a choice to do so yes ? So we can deduce the opposite to also be true. Maybe not a conscious decision to Drink to excess initially . But a decision to continue doing it.

Heres the dilemma. For 5 years before I got sober, literally every single day I vowed to not drink that day. And I mean with the most committed of intentions. And every single day, I nonetheless drank.

Let that sink in.

But Id never describe my process of sobriety as a choice or decision I made. And those hundreds who went to rehab or AA with me who relapsed over and over and over see the same thing.

The decision to get sober was necessary but not sufficient. The point is, people lose the power to choose. Every day for 5 years, as I look back at this 20 years later, I genuinely tried to choose not to drink and failed. That kind of challenge knocks you to your knees.

Sure plenty of addicts use disease and a scapegoat and rationale but inside they just dont know how to find what it takes.

Im not at all discounting your journey. But you have to admit that no matter how long it took for that choice to take root. You still had to choose. Yes ? You werent telling people you didnt want help. Or didnt want to get better were you ? Some people do this. Ive heard it with my own ears. They have not yet made that choice to live.

Im not trying to be disrespectful. At all. I respect you and your posts a great deal. But Ill stand by my posts that you can lead a horse to water. But you cant make him drink ( pardon the pun ). He has to choose to. I have no illusions that everyone can quit cold turkey. But they have to take the baby steps if thats what it takes. Some people refuse to do that. Which is a choice.

Look. I know this is a multi angled and touchy subject. Im trying very very hard not to come off as talking down to anyone. I know thats how I sound sometimes on any subject , especially one like this. As Ive said , Ive been in this since birth. Not by choice. I could tell you things that would absolutely disgust you that I saw my dad do. He wasnt drunk all the time. Not even every day. Just Benders of rage. And Ill never see it as anything but a choice he made. Period. We have to take responsibility for every other action in life one way or another. I see the I couldnt help it idea as skating that responsibility ( yet again ). I just dont think Ill live long enough to see it any other way. Im sorry for that opinion. I know before I say it that it may offend. Im just trying to explain genuinely my thoughts on the subject.

Fair enough. Of course it’s a decision. What I’m saying is that’s often not enough. And to be sure some people live their entire life without much of an effort to change.

I have often thought about to what extent my sobriety was a decision on my part. Absolutely. Like I said, necessary but not sufficient.

As to your dad... wow.

I wasn’t offended. I just wanted to illustrate the dilemma.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Mr. Blake-( too many posts to quote...tooo dumb to edit them out..lol)

totally get that .... such a terrible topic...but a useful conversation... I appreciate those who can have it and remain friendly... in that i include myself because i know that its an easy one to take off the rails into anger filled opinionated rant.. .. as much as i detest those with no want for change of life... Ill be the biggest cheerleader on earth for those that did/do seek change... God bless you for fighting the fight every day .

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

• 8 months later...

If anyone is thinking of quitting alcohol I'd highly recommend Allen Carr's "The Easy Way to Control Drinking" (also sometimes called "The Easy Way to Quit Drinking"). After having listened to the audio book I have no more desire to drink alcohol than I would to drink something laced with arsenic. We have been lied to our entire lives about the value of alcohol and it's benefits. There's no upside.

Rocco's interview got me thinking more about quitting.

This is the interview that turned me on to the book:

• 3 years later...

Hey there, forum fam! 🍻 Just read through the thread about Rocco and his struggles with alcohol. It's crucial to support and empathize with those dealing with addiction. If anyone knows someone who needs assistance, there are amazing resources out there like alcohol rehab essex. They offer guidance and treatment to help individuals regain control over their lives.

Edited by ArnoldDonner

Some very hot takes in here. Not exactly sure how it's rational to compare commenting on professional golf to commenting on what it must be like to be chemically addicted to alcohol or other drugs. Being married to an oncologist wouldn't make one knowledgeable about what it's like to suffer through cancer, so some of the comparisons on here like understanding by proxy of being connected to a mental health practitioner are laughable. 

Many can just wake up one day and decide they've had enough. Many more can't because they don't have the support system needed to face the things their substance abuse keeps quietly in the background or they've become chemically dependent, along with also lacking both biological & mental resiliency.

SmartSelect_20230717_183012_SamsungInternet.jpg.c281005f6c047528c0986672c1922819.jpg

Resilience has both chemical & behavioral properties. Someone could lack the biological tendencies that make it easier to overcome adverse circumstances, such as low points in life, and may have also been conditioned--especially earlier on in life--in ways that tend them towards maladaptive behavior in the face of hardship or adversity.

SmartSelect_20230717_183628_SamsungInternet.jpg.28bce97a16cfc345fd1fac0e2e66bfbe.jpg

SmartSelect_20230717_183652_SamsungInternet.jpg.1225c8a070780ce74f22f14a69d4fccc.jpg

Cited from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6110926/

Plenty of other research articles available for those who wish to try and understand why people can have such varied responses to the difficulties of life rather than simply writing all alcoholics off as weak people who simply refuse to quit. It's easy to see why some would stay buried in their substance of choice when there are uneducated, apathetic onlookers who want to tell them that if they'd just buck up and get over it everything would be fine. I'll keep my response to that rather than going off because I get you can't help but talk down the way you do, but some people would benefit the world greatly by not commenting on such heavy topics when they have zero clue about what many who self-medicate or escape via substances have or are going through or why it is that they can't easily break free. 

It does a massive disservice to work others do to setup platforms to get those who need it help when those who know next to nothing of the reality of the situation demean those suffering through it. Sometimes it really is best to just keep your mouth shut and your fingers off the keyboard. 

• 3 weeks later...

undersand anxiety, social in particular.  did have a couple legit panic attacks last year after a health issue and ended up in ER certain i was having a heart attack or advanced heart failure.  doc ran tests and gave me a light duty off label anxiety prescription.  got off it after a few weeks and been ok since.

on the social anxiety issue and alcohol self medicating i will say there is another way.  some years back i had an afib event and for a couple months was on a beta blocker (metoprolol).  after a couple weeks on it i figured out it was like being on that 3rd glass of wine all day long.  and i am an absolute joy in that condition.  easy going and relaxed to the point of being smarter because i don't panic rush my thoughts and conversation.  metoprolol was stopping, as i understand it, the adrenalin responses that pop up frequently (i think) for anxious folks.  my opinion or feeling on it is we get minor spikes in various social situations that hamper our ability to think/speak clearly.  i have no studies to offer as proof on this but i experienced it and am sure of what i felt.