Pickup trucks and golf bags

MtlJeff

Pretty simple question, i'm not in the market for another car quite yet ....But considering i move a lot of things, and our roads in Quebec are absolute dog crap, I've been considering getting a medium pickup (like a GMC Canyon or Tacoma).

What do you guys do that have them, just chuck the bags in the bed? Do they roll around a lot back there? Or are there some hacks to secure them to something?

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I can’t help you on what to do with the bag Jeff, but a piece of advice from someone in the business for a long time, buy the Tacoma.

I've done a bit of research and that seems to be the consensus LOL.....One thing i like about the Canyon is it has the Auto setting and the Tacoma does not.

I understand why trucks have different 4X4 systems than AWD cars given their intended purpose, but for snow the Auto setting is a nice feature because you get a lot of weather where there is only partial snow/ice cover. So the wheel slippage detection more common to AWD is nice.

I also have owned 3 GM's now so i tend to get good pricing at the dealer there.

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I can’t help you on what to do with the bag Jeff, but a piece of advice from someone in the business for a long time, buy the Tacoma.

I've done a bit of research and that seems to be the consensus LOL.....One thing i like about the Canyon is it has the Auto setting and the Tacoma does not.

I understand why trucks have different 4X4 systems than AWD cars given their intended purpose, but for snow the Auto setting is a nice feature because you get a lot of weather where there is only partial snow/ice cover. So the wheel slippage detection more common to AWD is nice.

I also have owned 3 GM's now so i tend to get good pricing at the dealer there.

I know from reading over the years that you’re a GM guy, but if you ever decide to trade your pickup off the resale difference between the two is unbelievable. Nothing is holding value like the Tacomas.

Ironically before the GM's i owned 3 Corollas haha. Those babies served me well through college and my early career.

I'll for sure check out the Tacos too. I just wish on say, the limited model they'd do a full time 4WD option since a lot of guys probably aren't using that for serious hauling or offroading. This is basically what they do on the 4runner series. The Limited comes with AWD and the others are the usual truck transfer case.....They basically make the limited model great for housewives and Mtljeffs

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

If you get a truck, get a tonneau cover (hard or soft, depends on budget and needs) and some cargo bars, at least one. The cover keeps things hidden and the cargo bar is just a ratcheting bar with rubber feet that lock into place with pressure on the sides of the bed. It basically just makes an area that keeps stuff from sliding all over. Between groceries, kids gear, and golf bags I couldn't live without either. I hate hearing stuff slide around in the bed when I'm driving.

Ah thanks guys, google'd it....there was some pics of even having some netting kinda hanging like a hammock from the cargo bar. I guess i could rig something like that.

Yes the tonneau cover for sure i have seen, we get a lot of snow naturally in the winter and it would be sitting outside all day while i'm at work so that i had checked out too

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

If you go with the Tacoma(and you should) the $80 bed mat is supper grippy and stuff does not move around. Or just toss them on the back seat if you're rolling to the course solo. Think the bed is 45 inches wide so horizontally with a cargo divider would not work unless you have a short driver. Tacoma beds are composite so spray in bedliner is a no go.

Worth noting that the taco does not have the old school manual transfer case so going into 4wd is as simple as turning a knob in the cab as long as you are going less than 62 mph

Oh and once more, get the Taco

DwwUpFZU0AAD9AA.jpg

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

Just get a Raptor and call it a day :superman: .

Ha! A little big for my taste. I actually saw a Ram Rebel the other day too and they look nice

I'm just trying to get something a tad smaller. The beds on the midsizes seem plenty big to haul around desks, cabinets etc or general renovations material. I'm mostly looking at trucks because i think my wife's business will need to move in the next 4-6 years and we will also be moving on account of our daughter. And the best deals here are fixer-uppers

Another interesting thing, is that i'm not really considering the "off-road" trucks as much. Most reviews seem to say that winter tires actually perform a lot better in the snow and Ice than all-terrain. So i'm looking more at the Denali or Taco Limited vs the TRD Pro or ZR2 (or Raptor). I haven't actually driven anything with off-road tires....but this is what they say.

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

If you go with the Tacoma(and you should) the $80 bed mat is supper grippy and stuff does not move around. Or just toss them on the back seat if you're rolling to the course solo. Think the bed is 45 inches wide so horizontally with a cargo divider would not work unless you have a short driver. Tacoma beds are composite so spray in bedliner is a no go.

Worth noting that the taco does not have the old school manual transfer case so going into 4wd is as simple as turning a knob in the cab as long as you are going less than 62 mph

Oh and once more, get the Taco

DwwUpFZU0AAD9AA.jpg

Yeah those are really bad*ss

I mean the man in me wants to buy a TRD Pro 4runner or Tacoma.....i mean they are just so cool.

But than i'd be "that guy" who has that but doesn't actually off-road. I don't want to be that guy LOL.

But i do think i will genuinely get great use out of a truck the next decade or so

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Meh half the pro owners prob never see dirt anyway. Just don't get the desert intake. Pro 4 runner is so awesome. Pro taco get marked up so much here like 10k over sticker cheaper to buy offroad and build a better pro.

FWIW 2020 Tacoma coming with a much better head unit apple car play/android auto the current etune setup isn't all that great. I've decided I'm gonna sell/trade my 18 in 21 and get the updated one that will be my big build. Adjustable shocks 2-3 inch lift to go fast on bad forest roads

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

That's on the radar too, but for some reason Honda always seems to have higher interest rates here. Like the Denali is same price but GM is always 0-1 percent

Not a deal breaker but I think the Tacoma and canyon are just nicer looking trucks too

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Supposed to be a new Frontier next 1-2 years too.

I'll still probably end up with a GM

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

That's on the radar too, but for some reason Honda always seems to have higher interest rates here. Like the Denali is same price but GM is always 0-1 percent

Not a deal breaker but I think the Tacoma and canyon are just nicer looking trucks too

Ridgeline is an odyssey with a bed fwiw

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

Ridgeline is an odyssey with a bed fwiw

I thought it was a Pilot with the back end chopped off? LOL

Overall a nice winter truck with the bed would be good enough for me. Like i mentioned i'm not a hardcore contractor or builder or something. I just have moved a ton of stuff in the past few years and probably will have to again.

It's just if you have to move a bunch of tile , or toilets...or my wife's filing cabinets....it's a major pain to cram those into the Equinox.

But yeah i like the "real" trucks better anyway.

You guys are selling me on the Tacoma. Probably not in the market for a bit though

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Consequences of being a Pilot with a bed: AWD (better in the winter), handles better, rides smoother, accelerates faster, and has better fuel economy than its “real truck” competitors. Also has more/better interior space (eg you can put a bike in the back of the cab). And the waterproof locking in-bed trunk reduces the need for a tonneau cover.

It isn’t the right choice if off-road is your thing or you need to tow something really big, but it doesn’t sound like either of those are the case here.

Yeah i don't have any real issue with the Ridgeline as mentioned, i just don't think it looks as nice as the ones i mentioned in my OP. And when it comes to cars i've pretty much never bought one i thought was cool in all of my history. Dammit i want to do something for me here!!!

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

If you are paying the price for a Tacoma do yourself a favor and just get a full size 1/2 ton pickup. Having owned a Tacoma (that did no offroading), a 3/4 ton, and now a 1/2 ton Ram there is no comparison in the utility. My Ram has fold flat system under the rear seats so that is where my golf clubs go - I put my bag, my son's bag, and both our clic gear push carts back there and off we go. It fits perfectly. Nothing gets tossed around. And, I have way more capacity than a tacoma ever will. I am a fan of Ram, but frankly, any of the big 3 are good at this point. Pick the one you like the best and have at it. People get way too caught up in resale value. They are depreciable assets. I got $12k off of my ram, so I paid $36k for a nicely equipped Ram. I see Tacomas for more than that and I shake my head. No way will I ever go back to a smaller truck.

If you are paying the price for a Tacoma do yourself a favor and just get a full size 1/2 ton pickup. Having owned a Tacoma (that did no offroading), a 3/4 ton, and now a 1/2 ton Ram there is no comparison in the utility. My Ram has fold flat system under the rear seats so that is where my golf clubs go - I put my bag, my son's bag, and both our clic gear push carts back there and off we go. It fits perfectly. Nothing gets tossed around. And, I have way more capacity than a tacoma ever will. I am a fan of Ram, but frankly, any of the big 3 are good at this point. Pick the one you like the best and have at it. People get way too caught up in resale value. They are depreciable assets. I got $12k off of my ram, so I paid $36k for a nicely equipped Ram. I see Tacomas for more than that and I shake my head. No way will I ever go back to a smaller truck.

Fair advice, but keep in mind that Jeff lives in the city of Montreal. Even a mid-sized truck is a bit of a pita to maneuvre around a city like that.

Yeah ^^^ definitely.

Truthfully, i got my answer already on how to store bags, so we can just make this a truck thread LOL. But yeah i couldn't get a full size, they are just too massive for the city and for the parking spots we typically get here even in the crowded burbs in which i live. I don't need a full-size for what i want (just moving furniture and standard reno material) and i'd much rather the midsize ability to park and maneuver in normative places.

I was checking out the Ranger a bit online yesterday. The FX4 off-road seems to come with 18 inch wheels that are the right size to fit many different winter tire options. So that is nice. It also comes with some pretty hardcore offroad stuff and i'd have the option of normal winter tires.

The other thing i didn't mention is we take 1-2 trips a year into the mountains for Christmas and Spring Breaks. So the truck would also be nice if we got a snowstorm up there. The Ranger FX4 looks nice and is 5K cheaper here than the Taco or Canyon Denali

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I’ve had many trucks in my life, and I will second One Putt Blunder. Get a bed mat and bed cover. The bed mats will keep the clubs from sliding around in the bed, and as long as you don’t drive like a complete fool, the bag won’t roll. I’ve got an Extang folding hard cover and bed mat on my Ram and my clubs don’t move. Just make sure the cover you get is a hard cover with locks of some kind. The soft covers only serve to keep eyes off the cargo, but are very easily removed or destroyed if someone wants to know what’s in there.