Sergio disqualified from the Saudi tournament on the European tour

Here comes the Boom

Sergio is a golfer, just like us, and we've all slammed a club or gone bat-sh!+ crazy a time or two on the course. Damaging a green, a fairway, a club, a tee box marker, a ball washer, a golf bag, damaging anything related to the game is bound to happen. Doesn't make it right, but it happens. We don't all have cameras following us around watching our every move on a course so we get the luxury of pointing the finger at others knowing we've all done something similar ourselves. Shame on anyone here who is guilty of this sort of hypocrisy.

For Brooks Koepka to say anything about this is a joke, and for anyone to listen to him is giving Brooks himself a pass for his past incidents. He needs to worry about himself and let the sanctioning bodies determine the crimes and punishments.

Do a search of Brooks breaking his driver in Feb 2017... right in front of a couple of 13-14 year old fans who watched the whole "tantrum" (seems to be the current buzzword) go down. He's just as guilty, and that's not the only time he's had an outburst on the course. The DL3 sprinkler incident was way worse than anything Sergio did here, but for whatever reason he's been labeled and will always receive more scrutiny than most. People just love to hate on him so he gets what we have here. I don't care that its unprecedented to have someone DQ'd or suspended, doesn't mean it should happen here, and certainly doesn't mean it shouldn't have happened a time or two before for some much worse antics.

And for those saying the fried chicken comment is racist are completely misrepresenting the term. To be racist is to hate a person or group of persons for the sole reason that they are a certain race, or to think that one race is superior to another. The comment was more accurately stereotypical, which is what most comedians make a living doing to all races. Sergio does not hate Tiger Woods because he's black, that would make him a racist. He hates Tiger because he was a better golfer at 20 years old than Sergio would ever be. People need to stop throwing the term "racist" around so cavalierly when discussing anything that has to do with race. Stereotyping has its own meaning, and it does not equal racism. They are two separate and distinct terms that we have let morph into one meaning because we in the US are basically lazy and love drama. We also thoroughly enjoy pointing our hypocritical fingers from behind a keyboard!

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently he also got annoyed when his driver wouldn't drive the car until he had prayed so he jumped in the front seat and drove himself to the golf club

Now that would be hilarious

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

I think he just did a Phil. Greens were awful, making a point, went about it totally the wrong way.

Yes, but they were awful for everyone. That's the point. Garcia wasn't being unfairly treated or singled-out by the fact he had to putt on them.

My point exactly. As I said, he did a Phil.

Not really, Phil did nothing to potentially put the groups behind him at a disadvantage

He ran across the green to his ball to hit it whilst it was still moving. A hefty guy like Phil could have done lot of damage to the green.

Sergio is a golfer, just like us, and we've all slammed a club or gone bat-sh!+ crazy a time or two on the course. Damaging a green, a fairway, a club, a tee box marker, a ball washer, a golf bag, damaging anything related to the game is bound to happen. Doesn't make it right, but it happens. We don't all have cameras following us around watching our every move on a course so we get the luxury of pointing the finger at others knowing we've all done something similar ourselves. Shame on anyone here who is guilty of this sort of hypocrisy.

For Brooks Koepka to say anything about this is a joke, and for anyone to listen to him is giving Brooks himself a pass for his past incidents. He needs to worry about himself and let the sanctioning bodies determine the crimes and punishments.

Do a search of Brooks breaking his driver in Feb 2017... right in front of a couple of 13-14 year old fans who watched the whole "tantrum" (seems to be the current buzzword) go down. He's just as guilty, and that's not the only time he's had an outburst on the course. The DL3 sprinkler incident was way worse than anything Sergio did here, but for whatever reason he's been labeled and will always receive more scrutiny than most. People just love to hate on him so he gets what we have here. I don't care that its unprecedented to have someone DQ'd or suspended, doesn't mean it should happen here, and certainly doesn't mean it shouldn't have happened a time or two before for some much worse antics.

And for those saying the fried chicken comment is racist are completely misrepresenting the term. To be racist is to hate a person or group of persons for the sole reason that they are a certain race, or to think that one race is superior to another. The comment was more accurately stereotypical, which is what most comedians make a living doing to all races. Sergio does not hate Tiger Woods because he's black, that would make him a racist. He hates Tiger because he was a better golfer at 20 years old than Sergio would ever be. People need to stop throwing the term "racist" around so cavalierly when discussing anything that has to do with race. Stereotyping has its own meaning, and it does not equal racism. They are two separate and distinct terms that we have let morph into one meaning because we in the US are basically lazy and love drama. We also thoroughly enjoy pointing our hypocritical fingers from behind a keyboard!

I have to disagree here, I think there are more of us on the opposite side of this fence than imagined. I, for one, have never lost my temper on the course to anywhere near the same extent that Sergio did and I certainly have never taken any frustration I had out on the course. What Sergio did was immature at best and to suggest that it is normal or acceptable conduct is simply inaccurate, imo.

I think he just did a Phil. Greens were awful, making a point, went about it totally the wrong way.

Yes, but they were awful for everyone. That's the point. Garcia wasn't being unfairly treated or singled-out by the fact he had to putt on them.

Not really, Phil did nothing to potentially put the groups behind him at a disadvantage

He ran across the green to his ball to hit it whilst it was still moving. A hefty guy like Phil could have done lot of damage to the green.

I am not sure it is fair to compare hypothetical damage to actual damage... so in my mind... no, not the same at all. That said, imo, both were certainly unbecoming conduct for a professional player.

Sergio is in the field at the LA Open this week, I wonder if someone has indicated to him that it might be wise to pre-emptively address what happened in Saudi Arabia. I expect he is going to get bombarded with questions.

TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

Sergio is in the field at the LA Open this week, I wonder if someone has indicated to him that it might be wise to pre-emptively address what happened in Saudi Arabia. I expect he is going to get bombarded with questions.

They've gone on and on about that on Morning Drive.

I'm sure the press can't wait to get at him, lol.

I'm sure he's thought about what he will say.

"That is a lucid, intelligent, well-thought out objection."

-Judge Chamberlain Holler

Overruled ; )

garcia-shoe.gif

They've gone on and on about that on Morning Drive.

I'm sure the press can't wait to get at him, lol.

I'm sure he's thought about what he will say.

No doubt he will be asked about the Koepka and Jacklin comments. Not sure Sergio is the type to take a critique on the chin but in this instance surely he'll be wise enough to be humble and contrite.

TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

I have to disagree here, I think there are more of us on the opposite side of this fence than imagined. I, for one, have never lost my temper on the course to anywhere near the same extent that Sergio did and I certainly have never taken any frustration I had out on the course. What Sergio did was immature at best and to suggest that it is normal or acceptable conduct is simply inaccurate, imo.

I never once suggested it was normal or acceptable, I simply pointed out the fact that it happens way more than this thread would seem to indicate.

Lots of pro golfers freak out, throw clubs, kick bags, smash trash cans or tee markers, and not much seems to be made of it beyond explaining it away as a spur of the moment act of frustration. Lots of amateur golfers do the same thing on courses all across the globe, for the same reasons, there is just no one around to see it. If you are able to control your frustrations then good for you, but you have to agree it happens to a lot more people than Sergio Garcia. I'm not defending his actions or trying to make it sound like its OK, I'm just pointing out the fact that he is not alone in this type of behavior, and the opinion that other golfers who have had recent similar incidents should look at themselves in the mirror before passing judgement. I'm just not a big fan of hypocrisy.

I never once suggested it was normal or acceptable, I simply pointed out the fact that it happens way more than this thread would seem to indicate.

Lots of pro golfers freak out, throw clubs, kick bags, smash trash cans or tee markers, and not much seems to be made of it beyond explaining it away as a spur of the moment act of frustration. Lots of amateur golfers do the same thing on courses all across the globe, for the same reasons, there is just no one around to see it. If you are able to control your frustrations then good for you, but you have to agree it happens to a lot more people than Sergio Garcia. I'm not defending his actions or trying to make it sound like its OK, I'm just pointing out the fact that he is not alone in this type of behavior, and the opinion that other golfers who have had recent similar incidents should look at themselves in the mirror before passing judgement. I'm just not a big fan of hypocrisy.

I'm not trying to pick a nit, but when you use language like ...

"...we've all slammed a club or gone bat-sh!+ crazy a time or two on the course. Damaging a green, a fairway, a club, a tee box marker, a ball washer, a golf bag, damaging anything related to the game is bound to happen. "

I think it does, intentionally or not, serve to downplay the offensive conduct and make it seem more normal than it is.

That said, I appreciate the reply and I think your explanation clarifies what you really meant. While I still do not agree that such conduct is at all common place, it certainly does happen and we've all seen it!

So if a fellow pro speaks out about on course behavior, shouldn't that same person also be address about their behavior in the past? Of course Koepka's 'outburst' is no where in the ballpark as Sergio's history, but player vs player critique on behavior given each own history.

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAhs77ddnuA[/media]

You should post more....That was a good read and i mostly agree.

Only reason i say "mostly" is if he really did damage several greens (i still can't believe there's no video of this) than this is probably one of the alltime tantrums in the history of golf. I mean this would be on par with Happy Gilmore throwing the flagstill and almost killing someone. Several greens is like a whole other level

And i am a Sergio fan, like literally in writing (i once wrote an article for this site stating as much literally called "why i root for Sergio" LOL)....but man from the sounds of this he really was way out of line

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

So if a fellow pro speaks out about on course behavior, shouldn't that same person also be address about their behavior in the past? Of course Koepka's 'outburst' is no where in the ballpark as Sergio's history, but player vs player critique on behavior given each own history.

I think that was my main problem with all this, the fact that a lot of pros (and us amateurs as well) have meltdowns and do stuff they probably instantly regret, but then feel the need to criticize this one guy about his. Heck, some of the club breaking in that video could have injured spectators nearby, lucky for them they didn't, but I'm sure it has happened. I seem to remember Justin Thomas hitting a bad shot in Mexico and flinging his driver and it actually went into the gallery and hit a few folks... where was the outrage with that? That whole tournament JT was acting like a child, dropping his club and slamming the green after missing a put... any talk of DQ'ing him? Nope. Instead they joked with him about his driver being on plane when he tossed it.

Nothing Sergio did was "dangerous", childish sure, but not dangerous. Koepka breaking his driver might appear to only affect him, but look at those kids watching him from behind the tee box, what kind of example is that setting? Hit a bad shot, break the $400 driver your parents bought you? Koepka, or really any of these guys (including most of us) have no room to criticize anyone about anything like this...

Only reason i say "mostly" is if he really did damage several greens (i still can't believe there's no video of this) than this is probably one of the alltime tantrums in the history of golf. I mean this would be on par with Happy Gilmore throwing the flagstill and almost killing someone. Several greens is like a whole other level

And i am a Sergio fan, like literally in writing (i once wrote an article for this site stating as much literally called "why i root for Sergio" LOL)....but man from the sounds of this he really was way out of line

Thanks... again, I was not trying to condone or excuse Sergio for his behavior, just trying to remind folks to look in the mirror before passing judgement. Especially when it comes to this incredibly frustrating, impossible game we all love to hate. If he were an obvious outlier then it would be a different story, but he's not, he's just one of many and a lot of folks don't like him so he gets extra attention. His shaky past with everyone's hero TW probably has something to do with it, or the fact that he always shows up at Ryder Cup events and mops the floor with his opponents, or the fact that he ruined the PGA's storyline by finally winning a major. By the way, I'm not a Sergio fan in the least little bit, but I'm less a fan of hypocrisy.

Thanks... again, I was not trying to condone or excuse Sergio for his behavior, just trying to remind folks to look in the mirror before passing judgement. Especially when it comes to this incredibly frustrating, impossible game we all love to hate. If he were an obvious outlier then it would be a different story, but he's not, he's just one of many and a lot of folks don't like him so he gets extra attention. His shaky past with everyone's hero TW probably has something to do with it, or the fact that he always shows up at Ryder Cup events and mops the floor with his opponents, or the fact that he ruined the PGA's storyline by finally winning a major. By the way, I'm not a Sergio fan in the least little bit, but I'm less a fan of hypocrisy.

Spitting into a cup during an event is as outlier as it gets.

Ive watched and cheered for SG for years but the guy can be a child and he should be roasted when he does.

While I do agree that most here (myself included) have likely lost our temper and done something we've later regretted at some point in our lives playing this game, perhaps on several occasions. Guilty :fool:

But what makes this situation different and worse IMO, and perhaps to the rest of the WRX crowd is that this wasn't just an isolated one time meltdown. There were incidents in both rounds that weekend; the bunker tirade alone would normally have been bad enough in itself to warrant heavy criticism, but it looks pedestrian compared to what our imaginations come up with regarding the green damage we've been unable to see. Not only did he not regain his composure and show maturity to get through the rest of the weekend calmly and without incident, he made it even worse by doing damage to the rest of the course, and to the greens no less. Koepka and Love, not giving them passes, but those were isolated and they moved on, or at least intended to. It's not cool to break a club but Koepka didn't make a big show of it like Sergio did the bunker, he just kept on walking. What Davis did was certainly not with intention to damage the sprinkler head, it's just the end result was made far worse by the sprinkler breaking. There was no malice or intent to wreck the course like what Sergio did, and it certainly wasn't repeatedly like his childish flails in the bunker. And he came forward right away and apologized rather than just releasing a statement and hiding, and paid the repair bill Mr. Palmer handed him without questioning it. I'd like to think that any respectful golfer after damaging a green, even accidentally, would feel so bad as to ensure they didn't do it again, but not Sergio, he had to intentionally do it again several more times. If you so badly need to take your anger out on the course (not encouraging it), do it somewhere obscure like the rough or even a tee box as those are prone to divot abuse, but to do so on a green, purposely, even once is inexcusable IMO. I don't like his previous shenanigans, but in comparison to this, yes please helicopter your club into a lake or go kick your shoe again, those would be so much better than what he chose to do.

And I won't even begin to approach the topic that it's not the first time he's been linked to such outbursts. He's 39, the fiery Spaniard apology doesn't work anymore. Time to grow up.

*yawwwnnn*

"Could" have unintentionally done damage to a single green vs intentionally damaged 5 greens isn't even remotely comparable. Give me a break.

Again INEXCUSABLE but imagining these horrible shoe scuffs is kind of wasted energy and making assumptions about how he went about it as well.

We saw the big scrape, it was pretty much nothing, the rest sounded like some lard butt dragging a shoe on the other greens.

He got punished for what he did. I assume had he done worse the punishment would have been worse. It’s in the past!

The media loves to roast SG

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

‘Sergio made a fool of himself’: Tony Jacklin blasts Garcia’s ’embarrassing’ meltdown

“It was worthy of more than disqualification,” Jacklin said to the Daily Express. “I’d have banned him. Damaging greens on a golf course is an offence that deserves a suspension"

“The European Tour have said the incident is over and it’s time to move on,” Jacklin said. “Well, if he’s not going to be banned, then I’d like to see him take a self-imposed break from the game.

https://www.golf.com/news/2019/02/10/sergio-made-a-fool-of-himself-tony-jacklin-blasts-garcias-embarrassing-meltdown/

In my 30 years in golf I have never seen anyone lose their temper to that extent - to the point where they willfully damage the golf course. And secondly, even if I had, and this behaviour was as commonplace as you claim it to be, it would not serve as an excuse, but rather as a reason to implement measures to eliminate this behaviour asap. This should be particularly applicable to players with greater public exposure, who set the example for the rest of us. Sergio deserves to be severely punished for his actions, as do all others who behave similarly.

I think Sergio deserves everything he gets from this one. This won't go away easy or quietly ..lol.

I wouldn't bet on it. With everyone's short attention span these days, if it doesn't show up on their Twitter feed tomorrow it will be erased from most folks memory banks until the next time. He'll be playing tournaments, the other players will forget about it, and life will go on, and he'll do something else dumb in a year or so and everyone will go back on Youtube to find the clip of him freaking out in the bunker in Saudi, and the cycle will repeat itself. He's not getting banned and not benching himself, so what are we really talking about here?

The only people talking about it this week are those of us on the inter webs with nothing better to do. It didn't come up once during any of the Pebble Beach coverage I saw. The only person he really needs to worry about right now are his family and his sponsors, otherwise I'm sure he couldn't give two craps about the opinions of a bunch of has-been/never-was Golf Channel personalities, and even less about what we think about it.

In fact, I'm kinda getting to that point myself, so I'm moving over to the technical forums to get some suggestions for a lower flighting iron shaft.

See ya'll over there...

I think Sergio deserves everything he gets from this one. This won't go away easy or quietly ..lol.

I wouldn't bet on it. With everyone's short attention span these days, if it doesn't show up on their Twitter feed tomorrow it will be erased from most folks memory banks until the next time. He'll be playing tournaments, the other players will forget about it, and life will go on, and he'll do something else dumb in a year or so and everyone will go back on Youtube to find the clip of him freaking out in the bunker in Saudi, and the cycle will repeat itself. He's not getting banned and not benching himself, so what are we really talking about here?

The only people talking about it this week are those of us on the inter webs with nothing better to do. It didn't come up once during any of the Pebble Beach coverage I saw. The only person he really needs to worry about right now are his family and his sponsors, otherwise I'm sure he couldn't give two craps about the opinions of a bunch of has-been/never-was Golf Channel personalities, and even less about what we think about it.

In fact, I'm kinda getting to that point myself, so I'm moving over to the technical forums to get some suggestions for a lower flighting iron shaft.

See ya'll over there...

Few other notables commenting

Jacklin, Faldo. And they aint even Murican ; )

"Sir Nick Faldo mocked Sergio Garcia’s recent poor behaviour on the golf course after the Spaniard was disqualified at last week’s Saudi International

Garcia damaged five greens in the third round of the competition, while a day prior he was seen repeatedly smashing his club into a bunker"

https://www.google.com/amp/s/metro.co.uk/2019/02/09/sir-nick-faldo-mocks-sergio-garcia-imitating-destructive-behaviour-pebble-beach-8489998/amp/

Sergio impression is at 1:30

How many guys have spit in the cup? How many have damaged 4-5 greens in a row? I think Sergio takes it to a different level than other tantrums we have seen through the years. Mostly just surprised given the fact it seemed he was more at peace in recent years after meeting his wife and winning his first major. This is a pretty strange outburst from him.