Is the Pro V1 in trouble?

Danny ChooDanny Choo Members Posts: 137 ✭✭
Titliest is never shy about the number of players playing the Pro V1 and Pro V1X on tour. Titliest is getting stiff competition and other balls are side by side on the PGA tour with wins this year. Will Titliest lose their grip on the golf ball market due to manufacturers proving they are just as good or better? YTD below tour results with winners ball.

Safeway open- Kevin Tway Pro V1

Cimb classic- Mark leishmania Chrome soft

CJ cup-Brooks Koepka Pro V1

Wgc-hsbc championship- Xander Schauffele Chrome soft

Sanderson farms- Cameron Champ Srixon Z star

Shriners- Bryson Dechambeau Bridgestone BX

OHL classic- Matt Kuchar Bridgestone BX

RSM classic- Charles Howell III Pro V1

Hero world challenge- John Rahm TP5

Tournament of champions- Xander Schauffele Chrome soft

Sony Open- Matt Kuchar bridgestone BX

Career builder challenge- A. Long Pro V1

Farmers insurance- Justin Rose Tp5

Phoenix open- Ricky FowlerTP5

Attached pebble beach- Phil Mickelson chrome soft

Titliest-4

Callaway-4

Taylormade-3

Bridgestone-3

Srixon-1

Comments

• GHIN n JuiceGHIN n Juice Wingpointe GC...Never Forgotten Members Posts: 1,686 ✭✭
    They may lose some market share but they are still the number one ball played on all major tours, college tournaments, major amateur tournaments, and are arguably the most recognized name in golf balls. I think their status is secure.
    Callaway Rogue 9.0*
    Taylormade 2016 M2 16.5* fairway wood
    Mizuno JPX 900 3 and 4 hybrids
    Mizuno MP-55 irons 5-P
    Bettinardi Studio Stock #7
    Cleveland RTX 4 wedges 50*, 54* and 58*
  • GSDriverGSDriver Members Posts: 615 ✭✭
    I haven't played a ProV1 I haven't found in close to 10 years, maybe longer.

Marketing only goes so far, still can't convince me that a ProV1 @ $4+ a ball, is that much, if any, better than those I get for $3 or less.

I wonder how many PGA guys play Titleist cuz they're paid to do so? Those guys are good enough, and ball performance close enough across OEMs, that they could likely win with about any brand (except Volvik, as Bubba clearly demonstrated)
    Epic Speeder 661
    Rogue 4 Wood Evenflow 75 Blue
    Epic Hybrids 3/4/5
    Apex Pro 6-P Recoil 110 F4
    MD Slate Forged 52
    PM Grind 56/60
    Odyssey 7S
    All grips except putter are Iomic Sticky 2.3
  • augustgolfaugustgolf Golf with dignity Coastal NCMembers Posts: 3,903 ✭✭
    At one point in time, Sears Roebuck & Company was the #1 retailer in the US, and also had the largest availability of products for delivery, via catalog/phone sales.

And, I'm sure that there were those who said that Sears was never going to go away.

The only thing certain is the uncertainty of how things turn out, whether in business or sports.
    Pings from the beginning

OGA member 1415
    or is it 1514...
    I don't remember exactly
  • Albatross_seekerAlbatross_seeker Old F*rt Members Posts: 14 ✭✭
    I heard from inside Titleist, they are switching the characteristics so the ProV1 will be the primary choice, the Pro V will go and the AVX will stay. There is evidence that they are doing this.

As for being the best ball?

There are so many balls to play that are high quality. Pro V is #1 in US because Titleist sponsors so many fledgling pros at the beginning of their careers.

That is also changing.

Loyalties change and the ROW does not have the same allegiance to Titleist as Americans do. Look at the LPGA, very international, many balls in play,the men are becoming more that way, but Collegiate NCAA golf is just slowing it a bit, that's all.
    Titleist TS3 9.5° - 45" TENSEI Orange Tour S 60
    Titleist TS313° - TENSEI Orange Tour S 70
    TM 24° M1 Tour AD 85
    TM P750 Tour Proto TT S300
    3-9, PW all +¾" , all 2° up
    TM MG Wedges +¾" , 2° up, Nippon 105 modus S
    52° SB-09
    TM HiToe +¾" , 2° up, Nippon 105 modus S
    58°

All play clubs UTX Grips
    Irons TM 360 Gray

Titleist Scotty Cameron GoLo Select
    SC Pistolini grips

Ball: TM TP 5x or AVX in the cold
  • larciellarciel I play for eagle Members Posts: 2,318 ✭✭
    I wanna see the numbers.

market share of v1/x went from 55% to 35%? I'm just speculating. Until then, it is what it is, just speculation.
  • MarkripMarkrip Boss fan 62 Members Posts: 1,614 ✭✭
    Must be the inferior talent they keep signing.
    Driver - Cobra F7
    3w- Adams Tight Speedline Super LS
    Hybrid - Cobra F8 19
    Irons- Adams XTD 4-PW
    Wedges- Tour Edge CB Pro 50, 54 , 58
    Putter- Tour Edge HP Series 01
  • GolfingDad44GolfingDad44 Members Posts: 89 ✭✭
    If you keep trying to be innovative and a market leader, I don't see how or why the ProV1 wont be the top ball for years to come. Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't they the #1 ball before the ProV1 too?
  • RSinSGRSinSG ClubWRX Posts: 3,146 ClubWRX
    I'm pretty sure it's because of the K-Sigs.
    Ping G400 Tour AD DI6s
    Ping G30 3 wood, 5 wood
    Ben Hogan VTKR 21* hybrid
    Ping G400 Irons 5-SW, Steel Fiber i95
    Ping Glide 60* LW
    Scotty Cameron Studio Blade (or)
     Scotty CameronFastback
    Gamegolf
    https://www.ledges.com/ Home course
  • Mr. GrumpyMr. Grumpy The Quintana Changeup, sit em dwn Members Posts: 2,340 ✭✭
    Other ball makers are stepping up their game,, and sometimes the result is comparable for less money.. Only so far you can go with it..
    Simple answer is who's going to release the next truly innovative ball? I like that Titliest offered the AVX ball. It's a sign that they aren't sitting back with the ProV1 and waiting for someone to overtake them.
  • wfrogge1wfrogge1 Members Posts: 1,218 ✭✭

I heard from inside Titleist, they are switching the characteristics so the ProV1 will be the primary choice, the Pro V will go and the AVX will stay. There is evidence that they are doing this.

The ProV1x and AVX are on completely different ends of the spectrum from each other so I don't see this happening
  • GoGoErkyGoGoErky Members Posts: 1,324 ✭✭
    As of October titleist had 45% market share down 1%, Callaway had 16% down 1% Tm and Bridgestone had 10% each up 1% each.

It’s going to be awhile before anyone catches titleist market share. TM or Bridgestone probavky carch Callaway before anyone them really cut into titleist
  • jwb10jwb10 Major Winner MarsMembers Posts: 971 ✭✭
    Danny Choo wrote:

Titliest is never shy about the number of players playing the Pro V1 and Pro V1X on tour. Titliest is getting stiff competition and other balls are side by side on the PGA tour with wins this year. Will Titliest lose their grip on the golf ball market due to manufacturers proving they are just as good or better? YTD below tour results with winners ball.

Safeway open- Kevin Tway Pro V1

Cimb classic- Mark leishmania Chrome soft

CJ cup-Brooks Koepka Pro V1

Wgc-hsbc championship- Xander Schauffele Chrome soft

Sanderson farms- Cameron Champ Srixon Z star

Shriners- Bryson Dechambeau Bridgestone BX

OHL classic- Matt Kuchar Bridgestone BX

RSM classic- Charles Howell III Pro V1

Hero world challenge- John Rahm TP5

Tournament of champions- Xander Schauffele Chrome soft

Sony Open- Matt Kuchar bridgestone BX

Career builder challenge- A. Long Pro V1

Farmers insurance- Justin Rose Tp5

Phoenix open- Ricky FowlerTP5

Attached pebble beach- Phil Mickelson chrome soft

Titliest-4

Callaway-4

Taylormade-3

Bridgestone-3

Srixon-1

image/taunt.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':taunt:' />

Noooo !!! image/swoon.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':swoon:' />
  • larciellarciel I play for eagle Members Posts: 2,318 ✭✭
    GoGoErky wrote:

As of October titleist had 45% market share down 1%, Callaway had 16% down 1% Tm and Bridgestone had 10% each up 1% each.

It's going to be awhile before anyone catches titleist market share. TM or Bridgestone probavky carch Callaway before anyone them really cut into titleist

Totally within margin of error. i.e. TItleist is doing fine.
    larciel wrote:

GoGoErky wrote:

It's going to be awhile before anyone catches titleist market share. TM or Bridgestone probavky carch Callaway before anyone them really cut into titleist

Totally within margin of error. i.e. TItleist is doing fine.

Yep and with the yellow prov1 1x that should draw some golfers in
  • glmglm Members Posts: 210 ✭✭
    There's only so much you can do with a golf ball. All of the manufacturers should have that figured out by now don't you think.
    glm wrote:

There's only so much you can do with a golf ball. All of the manufacturers should have that figured out by now don't you think.

There may only be so many things that can be done but there’s lots of ways to do them.
  • Nixhex524Nixhex524 ClubWRX Posts: 4,088 ClubWRX
    If they keep paying the most players, I don't see how they can be in trouble.
    Taylormade M2 2017 9.5* HZRDUS Yellow 6.0 76g
    Titleist TS2 15* HZRDUS Smoke 6.0 70g
    Titleist 915hd 20.5* Rogue black 85s
    Bridgestone J15 CB 4-P X100 AMT
    Titleist SM6 52F/58K
    Odyssey PT2 

• Josh L.Josh L. Members Posts: 398 ✭✭
    Thats a pretty small sample size, why don't we wait and see how more of the season plays out before we jump to conclusions like Titleist being in trouble because out of 15 events they've only had their ball win 4 times.
  • StanksStanks Everything I post is confrontational Members Posts: 1,352 ✭✭
    Is ProV1 in trouble? Absolutely not. For every one ball you find out there to add to your shag bag, there is probably a ProV1 or ProV1X to match it elsewhere on the course. It's popular and will be for a long time. Ricky JUST switched this year. He is 30 years old and only has ever played that one other ball. That's saying something.
  • Bushwood Country ClubBushwood Country Club Bushwood Country Club Members Posts: 846 ✭✭

There are so many balls to play that are high quality. Pro V is #1 in US because Titleist sponsors so many fledgling pros at the beginning of their careers.

That is also changing.

Loyalties change and the ROW does not have the same allegiance to Titleist as Americans do. Look at the LPGA, very international, many balls in play,the men are becoming more that way, but Collegiate NCAA golf is just slowing it a bit, that's all.
    did you even read this before you posted it? What does “ Pro v will go away but Pro v1 will stay” even mean? You heard ‘from inside titleist” but you don’t even know what the correct name of the ball is? I think the short bus is waiting for you at the curb... please, don’t post pure speculative bs masquerading as fact...
    • Ping G400 LST, Tensei Orange  
    • Ping G410 3 wood, Ping Alta Shaft
    • Ping G410 3 hybrid, Evenflow Black
    • Ping G410 4 hybrid, Evenflow Black
    • Mizuno JPX 919 Forged  5-P, Nippon Modus 105
    • Vokey SM7 50/12F, 54/10S, 58/12D
    • Scotty Cameron Newport 3
  • Big BenBig Ben Members Posts: 9,065 ✭✭
    edited Feb 11, 2019 11:42pm #23
    ProV1 will have dominant market share for sure but is it still the best ball? Lots of nice choices these days for peeps willing to test the waters. Now if your idea of buying balls is walking into the Club Pro shop and putting them on the tab ProV’s will get the nod. For me, I’m rolling 6dz Snell Reds @ $165 beans and saving my money for the bets!
    Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
    Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
    Fairway: Titleist 917F2
    Hybrid: A-Grind
    2 iron: Ping Rapture
    Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
    Putter: Evnroll 9.1
    Balls: ProV1
  • SEP1006SEP1006 Pearland, Tx.ClubWRX Posts: 941 ClubWRX
    Mr. Grumpy wrote:

Other ball makers are stepping up their game,, and sometimes the result is comparable for less money.. Only so far you can go with it..

One word, SNELL

Taylor Made M6 10.5 * | Ventus 6s
    Taylor Made M4 | Graphite Design IZ-7s
    Adams Pro A12 2 / 3 Hybrids | UST Mamiya Silver
    PXG Gen 2 0311P 3 - GW | Accra Tour 100i Stiff
    Ping Stealth Glide 2.0 54-12 / 58-06 Wedges | Wedge Flex
    PXG Gunboat H Putter 
    PXG Staff Bag
    Snell MTB Black
  • jjfcpajjfcpa Driver - Tour Edge EXS 10.5 Omaha, NEMembers Posts: 424 ✭✭
    Anyone seen head-to-head Snell MTB Black vs ProV1 or MTB Red vs ProV1x? I'd put money on Snell.
  • North TexasNorth Texas Members Posts: 4,299 ✭✭

That is also changing.

did you even read this before you posted it? What does “ Pro v will go away but Pro v1 will stay” even mean? You heard ‘from inside titleist” but you don’t even know what the correct name of the ball is? I think the short bus is waiting for you at the curb... please, don’t post pure speculative bs masquerading as fact...

Got to admit, I was a little confused by what he said as well.
    edited Feb 12, 2019 9:40am #27
    BTW, the ball count at Pebble was 74% using Titleist. Just saying.

I believe at WM it was 72% and nearest competitor 12%
    GoGoErky wrote:

Interesting stats but the OP was only citing "wins" by brand as a point for the ProV1 to be potentially in troube. This is different from ball count on tour (which Titleist clearly dominates). I think the ball count on tour clearly shows there is no issue with the ProV1 tour usage. I'd be curious to see how the consumer market looks but I'd be willing to be the ProV1 still dominates and could be taking some market share back with the yellow ball next month.
  • ChrisGio315ChrisGio315 Members Posts: 439 ✭✭
    Ive tried a lot of different balls in my short time playing the game...For consistency of quality, I always feel confident gaming a Titleist ball. Also, for me, price doesnt play a factor. Balls are expensive so DONT LOSE THEM!
    Titleist TS2 (10.5*)
    Titleist TS2 3w (15*)
    Titleist TS2 5w (18*)
    Titleist 718 AP1
    Titelist SM7 56*
    Custom Newport Select 2.5
    Titleist AVX

WITB - http://www.golfwrx.c...tb-chrisgio315/
    edited Feb 12, 2019 9:58am #31

GoGoErky wrote:

Interesting stats but the OP was only citing "wins" by brand as a point for the ProV1 to be potentially in troube. This is different from ball count on tour (which Titleist clearly dominates). I think the ball count on tour clearly shows there is no issue with the ProV1 tour usage. I'd be curious to see how the consumer market looks but I'd be willing to be the ProV1 still dominates and could be taking some market share back with the yellow ball next month.

Another way to look at what the OP is saying, is that more players have used Titleist to win than any other ball at this point. Meaning 4 different players have used Titleist while only 3 different players have used Callaway and TaylorMade. That's about as meaningless as what the OP is trying to say.