SuperSpeed Golf training system

I want to hear from people who have done this diligently for 1 year or more and tell me what your average clubhead speed on trackman went from pre training to a year after training with Superspeed

Phil Mickelson:

• 2017 - 114.24 average (91st on Tour, approximately the same speed as JJ Henry and Luke Donald). 57 swings measured, 121.57 fastest, 110.78 slowest.
  • 2018 - 116.48 average (54th on Tour, approximately the same speed as Ryan Palmer and Rickie Fowler). 49 swings measured, 121.44 fastest, 106.59 slowest.
  • 2019 - 120.92 average (17th on Tour, approximately the same speed as Tony Finau and Bubba Watson). 6 swings measured, 128.15 fastest, 117.07 slowest.

SuperSpeedGolf@SuperSpeedGolf Jan 20

Phil has been one of the most committed players to gaining speed the last few years.

DyPX3j5V4AQ8Bx-.jpg

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

I want to hear from people who have done this diligently for 1 year or more and tell me what your average clubhead speed on trackman went from pre training to a year after training with Superspeed

Phil Mickelson:

• 2017 - 114.24 average (91st on Tour, approximately the same speed as JJ Henry and Luke Donald). 57 swings measured, 121.57 fastest, 110.78 slowest.
  • 2018 - 116.48 average (54th on Tour, approximately the same speed as Ryan Palmer and Rickie Fowler). 49 swings measured, 121.44 fastest, 106.59 slowest.
  • 2019 - 120.92 average (17th on Tour, approximately the same speed as Tony Finau and Bubba Watson). 6 swings measured, 128.15 fastest, 117.07 slowest.

Phil has been one of the most committed players to gaining speed the last few years.

DyPX3j5V4AQ8Bx-.jpg

I have no doubt SSR has been a major component of his speed, but I would be interested to know if he has included any other elements such as slightly longer driver, workouts more geared towards power and explosiveness, or swing changes.

TaylorMade 2016 Tour Issue M2x3 (8.5*/9.4*/9.8*) - Testing: Tensei 1K White 70TX

Titleist TSi3 9* - Atmos TS Patriot 7x

Titleist 915fd 13.5* @12.75* - Atmos Blue TS 8x 

Titleist 915f 15* @ 14.25* - Atmos Blue TS 8x

Titleist 915f 18* - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.2x

Titleist 816H1 17* - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8x

Titleist 818H1 21* - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8x

Titleist 2023 T150 4 & 5 iron, T100 6-9 iron - Project x6.5 ss1x 1.5* flat

Vokey SM9 Raw 46.10F, 50.12F - Project x6.0 1.5* flat, 54.12D, 58.08M - DG TI S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2, Toulon Garage San Diego, Odyssey #7 CH; Odyssey Tour Black #9

Phil Mickelson:

DyPX3j5V4AQ8Bx-.jpg

No doubt Phil has gained swing speed since using the ssg sticks, but imo, its better to look at ball speed than swing speed. No way he hit 128 given his ball speed numbers.

Swing hard in case you hit it!

I asked them today about custom length ... you need to extend on your own

Seriously contemplating.... want to get to 111mph

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

No doubt Phil has gained swing speed since using the ssg sticks, but imo, its better to look at ball speed than swing speed. No way he hit 128 given his ball speed numbers.

2017 Ballspeeds:

• Phil Mickelson = 170.49 average (78th), 175.27 fastest, 162.92 slowest.

2019 Ballspeeds:

• Dustin Johnson = 177.68 average (25th), 178.92 fastest, 176.72 slowest.
  • Phil Mickelson = 176.68 average (30th), 178.77 fastest, 175.53 slowest.
  • Justin Thomas = 175.89 average (36th), 179.36 fastest, 170.6 slowest.

Taylormade TP5

2017 Ballspeeds:

2019 Ballspeeds:

So are the ball speeds they show on television wrong? On 14th hole phone was over 180 on one of the days or was that one just not included in the sample.

TaylorMade 2016 Tour Issue M2x3 (8.5*/9.4*/9.8*) - Testing: Tensei 1K White 70TX

Titleist TSi3 9* - Atmos TS Patriot 7x

Titleist 915fd 13.5* @12.75* - Atmos Blue TS 8x 

Titleist 915f 15* @ 14.25* - Atmos Blue TS 8x

Titleist 915f 18* - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.2x

Titleist 816H1 17* - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8x

Titleist 818H1 21* - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8x

Titleist 2023 T150 4 & 5 iron, T100 6-9 iron - Project x6.5 ss1x 1.5* flat

Vokey SM9 Raw 46.10F, 50.12F - Project x6.0 1.5* flat, 54.12D, 58.08M - DG TI S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2, Toulon Garage San Diego, Odyssey #7 CH; Odyssey Tour Black #9

2017 Ballspeeds:

2019 Ballspeeds:

So are the ball speeds they show on television wrong? On 14th hole phone was over 180 on one of the days or was that one just not included in the sample.

From what I understand, it would just not have been included in the sample. Qmany shows very well how much SSG has helped Phil. He has gained AT LEAST 5 mph it seems with his ball speed, which is probably hard to do for a pro that is likely already hovering near their limit imo.

2017 Ballspeeds:

2019 Ballspeeds:

I think there is some discrepancy in the OEM-sponsored ProTracer graphics packages and those recorded by Trackman as official Tour statistics. The sample sizes are quite different. Between the Desert Classic and AT&T, we certainly saw more ProTracer graphics than the six(?) swings officially kept by the Tour.

Taylormade TP5

Just a funny little thing I thought I would share. I own a Skytrak and I got the idea a while back to see if I could trick it into reading swing speed with my SSG club. My home made version has a weight with a diameter very close to a golf ball's diameter. I glued a half of a hollow plastic golf ball to the end and swung it in front of the Skytrak. It picked up the shot almost every single time and its displayed ball speed (aka my swing speed) was identical or within a mph or two of my swing speed radar almost every single time.

Funny as hell.

Here are SS of a couple

Just a funny little thing I thought I would share. I own a Skytrak and I got the idea a while back to see if I could trick it into reading swing speed with my SSG club. My home made version has a weight with a diameter very close to a golf ball's diameter. I glued a half of a hollow plastic golf ball to the end and swung it in front of the Skytrak. It picked up the shot almost every single time and its displayed ball speed (aka my swing speed) was identical or within a mph or two of my swing speed radar almost every single time.

Funny as hell.

Here are SS of a couple

Show us a pic of the club.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

Funny as hell.

Here are SS of a couple

Show us a pic of the club.

Sure, I had since broke the plastic golf ball off from a grounded swing but will repair and show you. Been meaning to anyways.

I've looked up a few Youtube videos of teaching pros taking on the Swing Speed Golf challenge and saying how they will be updating their progress etc.. So far nobody has put up another video after X amount of months showing their progress.

I've seen James Robinson Golf who put up his first session last year and no follow up even though he said he would

I've seen Me and my Golf do likewise

And a few others

They all seem to give up on it as that is the only reason I can think of why there is no follow up videos.

I havent seen his videos in a while but that guy Clay Ballard was taking on some sort of swing speed challenge and was doing videos and they petered out aswell even though it wasnt SSG related.

I've looked up a few Youtube videos of teaching pros taking on the Swing Speed Golf challenge and saying how they will be updating their progress etc.. So far nobody has put up another video after X amount of months showing their progress.

I've seen James Robinson Golf who put up his first session last year and no follow up even though he said he would

And a few others

They all seem to give up on it as that is the only reason I can think of why there is no follow up videos.

I havent seen his videos in a while but that guy Clay Ballard was taking on some sort of swing speed challenge and was doing videos and they petered out aswell even though it wasnt SSG related.

yeah, Clay Ballard recently put up a few measured swing speeds using SSR. As I recall, he was also stating that lead heel raise, and laying off at the top as helping a lot.

"Non rinunciare mai quello
che desideri...."
Go with what you know!

Driver: Titleist 913D

Fairway: Tour Edge XCG 7

Hybrids: Bobby Jones(Jesse Ortiz) Blackbird 3,4,5,6

Irons: 3-PW Titleist 710 MB (Rifle Project X 6.0 Flighted)

Wedges: Tour Edge 52, 56 deg, Cleveland RTX 50 deg 

Putter: Odyssey Custom Metal X 7

And a few others

Hopefully it's not because of injuries. :russian_roulette:

And a few others

I noticed the same thing. No follow-up

Ultimately it's a routine and time commitment just like gym work or stretching. Many people talk the talk, but then stumble at sustaining the commitment.

I believe the TXG guys had someone started on it as well, and they were subsequently open about the fact that said individual just couldn't commit to the program. I think Ian Fraser was actually going to backfill and take on the role of SSG guinea pig.

It could be because most of the gains you make using the SS training happens relatively quickly and then you plateau into a max speed range - and it is slow going from there on using this alone. Getting up past that new baseline most definitely requires more than swing speed training with the sticks. You need to be more limber, and do more detailed work on your swing and power leaks a la Phil. The fact is we don't know at all what his full protocol was for the massive gains he made other than what we are fed in the media - which is vague.

And a few others

Ultimately it's a routine and time commitment just like gym work or stretching. Many people talk the talk, but then stumble at sustaining the commitment.

I believe the TXG guys had someone started on it as well, and they were subsequently open about the fact that said individual just couldn't commit to the program. I think Ian Fraser was actually going to backfill and take on the role of SSG guinea pig.

It's not a video, and I made no promises, but I'm 8 weeks in now and in my 4th week of Level 1. I have NO problem with staying with a program that I have confidence in, and I do with this one. I'm 66, so my speeds are MUCH slower than a lot of the numbers that you read on this thread, but here are my impressions so far:

1. I only worry about the radar for the last 5 swings; I don't see any reason to observe, much less record, numbers for swings on my knees or the step swing. I record only the fastest of the last five swings.

2. My results vary quite a bit depending on the clothing I'm wearing, whether or not I worked out/ran beforehand, and just general fatigue level. This does NOT worry me in the least. I also sort of assume that after the warmup I do, plus nearly 100 swings as hard as I can, the last five swings aren't going to be that impressive anyway.

3 I have seen incremental improvements in my last five swings; when I started Level 1, my best was usually 95 mph, but in my last two sessions, I've seen 102 and 99. Since I know from previous driver fittings that 1 mph is worth about 3 yards, I'm pleased with that result.

4. It is VERY difficult to translate any of this to what is happening on the course, especially this time of year, because of cold, dense air and turf conditions and lots of layers of clothing and cold muscles and all the rest. BUT it seems to me that I AM longer in the last month or so relative to my regular partners. Time will tell, but I'm optimistic.

5. Even if the distance gains turn out to be minimal, I still think it's a valuable practice protocol because you are "overloading". Level 1 is 95 swings, and I do that AFTER I've done 20 stretches with a particular golf-oriented device, 10 medicine ball swings, and 20 weighted driver swings. So if I'm making 125 swings under stress of some sort, I'll benefit in terms of stamina and control if nothing else.

And a few others

They said they would give it a year, it has only been 10 months.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

This injury thing keeps cropping up. :/

I'm an old guy, and not swinging at the speeds that some report, but honestly, I can't see any reason that injury ought to be an issue IF there is a proper warmup, and IF the swings are made with good form, only faster. I DO think that if a person makes a motion as fast as possible that their body is not used to, then the likelihood of injury goes way, way up.

I'll even go one step farther: If you are properly warmed up and focused on making good golf swings with everything the same except swinging faster, then over time injury should become LESS likely with SSG, similar to what happens with weight training. Level 1 of SSG is 95 swings, not counting warmup; and the swings are in both directions; that's a lot of big muscle work. I have confidence that I'm getting stronger and LESS likely to be injured, regardless of what is or isn't happening to my swing speed.

Problem is that SSG says to swing "as aggressively as possible" or something equivalent. You are not supposed swing under control, but rather fast by all means possible.

I think that the biggest issue is not hitting a ball or object to absorb a lot of that speed/force. Instead your body is now forced to slow the club down 100% by itself. Another issue I see is that by swinging all out (even under control) left handed, is that your muscles are not used to stretching/contracting so far/quickly in those directions. This will increase the risk of pulling/tearing a muscle.

IMO, it is best to get fit first, then start the SSG program but do it very slowly initially and slowly build up to overspeed swings after 5 sessions or so. Get those muscles used to moving in new directions (especially on left handed swings) and then start adding speed.

FYI, I work out 6 days a week, am fit, and always warmed up properly doing SSG. Yet my left shoulder is still hurting for over a month. I am pretty sure it is a pulled muscle in there deep in my shoulder joint area. I just can't get to it easily to massage it out to get blood flowing back into it to heal. Not a huge issue for my golf game, but enough to keep me from doing SSG for the time being; until it is healed.

I'll even go one step farther: If you are properly warmed up and focused on making good golf swings with everything the same except swinging faster, then over time injury should become LESS likely with SSG, similar to what happens with weight training.

Except SSG prioritizes speed over technique. They literally say to swing as fast as you can and don't worry about technique. I agree that with a proper warm up the injury risk should be rather small...but following their advice, and taking 95 swings as hard as you can, is bound to cause issues.

This injury thing keeps cropping up. :/

I'm an old guy, and not swinging at the speeds that some report, but honestly, I can't see any reason that injury ought to be an issue IF there is a proper warmup, and IF the swings are made with good form, only faster. I DO think that if a person makes a motion as fast as possible that their body is not used to, then the likelihood of injury goes way, way up.

I'll even go one step farther: If you are properly warmed up and focused on making good golf swings with everything the same except swinging faster, then over time injury should become LESS likely with SSG, similar to what happens with weight training. Level 1 of SSG is 95 swings, not counting warmup; and the swings are in both directions; that's a lot of big muscle work. I have confidence that I'm getting stronger and LESS likely to be injured, regardless of what is or isn't happening to my swing speed.

Done system for two years plus off and on. I am off now because I have thumb issue from speed training.

PING G430 Max 8 degree (digitally lofted) TR Blue 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D4 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

SCOTTY CAMERON T11 BGT POLAR SHAFT SAND BLASTED TO MATCH HEAD... FLATSO 1.0

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO