4i vs 4U vs 4Hy

jbrunk

Anyone else done this test? I put these clubs up against one another today on a launch monitor.

Callaway X-Forged 23° 4i Steelfiber i95

Callaway X-Forged 24° 4UT PX LZ 120

Cobra F6 23.5° 4-5Hy Red Tie HQ4

This is my transition point between woods-hybrids-irons. My scoring spikes up at this yardage too, about 180-185y. Solving this problem (while its too cold outside to play) should pay dividends this summer.

Yeah...results: I was overwhelmingly more consistent today with the 4i, longer too. Very surprised! Probably just the right shaft away from getting more out of the 4UT. But also interesting that I couldn’t get equivalent carry out of the 4Hy (which I’d gamed all of last season). They were all weak pushes, alas.

So what do you play? 4i, 4U, or 4Hy? How have you tested at your transition?

Spring 2024

Callaway Mavrik Max 1W 10.5° HZRDUS Smoke 60

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 3W 15° HZRDUS Smoke 70

Cobra LTDx LS 5W 17.5° HZRDUS Smoke 70

Cobra LTDx 4Hy 21° HZRDUS Smoke 80

Srixon ZU85 4U 23° / Z585 6i-7i / Z785 8i-AW

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 56° 60°
SeeMore Mini Giant DF / Piretti Teramo / MannKrafted MA99 Proto

https://www.golfwrx.com/660122/witb-golfwrx-members-edition-jbrunk/

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4i here.

I have enough CHS that I can get the 4i in the air with enough spin/height to hold most greens. It's also better at hitting low bullets under tree branches.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

4 iron here. I played a 4H for a couple of years and it may of been a half club longer but I was way more accurate with the iron.

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges - Sub 70 286 50+54 degree

Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #11

Love my 4 iron

Cobra LTDx VA Composites Drago 65S

Titleist TSi2 16.5 deg fairway VA Composites Drago 75S

Titleist TSi2 21 deg fairway VA Composites Drago 75S

Titleist AP3 4-PW+48 Tour AMT white x100

Vokey SM9 54.10S (@53) 

Vokey SM9 58.08M

Taylormade Spider EX putter

ProV1X

4 Utility/DI for me. As accurate as the 4i from my set and more forgiving. I don't start messing with hybrids until the 3i spot.

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 9* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16.5* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 18* Graphite Design AD-IZ 95X
Callaway X-Forged Single Diamond 22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

Tried the XF 4UT again today, must’ve hit 50 shots on the sim after a round, just wasn’t working. Even when I got the BS up to 120mph (rarely), launch angle was too high. 168-172y carry just isn’t gonna cut it. This monitor doesn’t measure/calculate descent angle (or spin), but 12y avg roll out isn’t a good sign. If I want to land that short and roll it up, I’ll punch a 5 iron. Leaning toward carrying 4-5W 17.5°, 3-4Hy 20.5°, 4i 23°.

Spring 2024

Callaway Mavrik Max 1W 10.5° HZRDUS Smoke 60

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 3W 15° HZRDUS Smoke 70

Cobra LTDx LS 5W 17.5° HZRDUS Smoke 70

Cobra LTDx 4Hy 21° HZRDUS Smoke 80

Srixon ZU85 4U 23° / Z585 6i-7i / Z785 8i-AW

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 56° 60°
SeeMore Mini Giant DF / Piretti Teramo / MannKrafted MA99 Proto

https://www.golfwrx.com/660122/witb-golfwrx-members-edition-jbrunk/

I have quite the conundrum with this choice. I hit the 4 iron well. Goes typically where I want it to, but it is a much lower flight and I know I am not going to get everything out of it. The utility works better flight wise but I usually don't hit them quite as well. Possibly due to the lighter head feeling? Im not sure.

Hybrid gets me the height and typically the distance I need on well hits, but my misses are bigger left to right.... haha Im all sorts of effed

Forever Changing at this point.......

I'm doing a similar test now, except one or two steps down. My 20° U45 3 is a tee club only and I'd call it about a 215 club. My Callaway 18° 816 5 wood is about a 215 club, but from the fairway and I've never hit it off a tee on the course. I always carry both and no longer even own a 3 wood. I just picked up a GAPR Hi 3 on a flyer which is 19°. I want it to be good, but it's going to have to be exceptional to knock out one and/or the other of my long clubs. I'm a Hybrid hater, but as a "hybridized" DI from Taylormade, I had to give it a try.

As far as your test goes, maybe you're just a much better iron swinger, and like me, hybrids just don't cut it. And just to stir the pot, I don't see the need for 24° DI, ever. With the help and distance built into GIs and SGIs irons these days, a high lofted DI is pointless. My current set starts with a 24° 5i and it's shockingly long, so no surprise that your 4 iron beats out your one degree higher lofted DI, even with it's longer shaft.

At the moment I game a 5hy, 3hy and a 1hy then driver....just more consistently straight with the 5hy than the equivalent iron. Tested them both on the range, course and LM.

Driver: still looking.....
4 Wood: Kamui Pro TP-XF 17.5° + Fujikura Speeder Evolution VI FW70x @ 42 1/2".

7 Wood: Kamui Pro TP-XF 22.5° + Fujikura Speeder Evolution VI FW80x @ 41 3/4".
Irons: Kamui Pro KP-102 5i-PW + KBS TGI 110 + 1/2".
Wedges: Callaway Jaws Forged 50°/55°/60° + KBS C-Taper
Putter: SeeMore SB1 + Accra FX300.

4 iron is one of my favorite clubs in the bag, for whatever reason, I just got along with that spot.

The 745 is more than forgiving enough to stay put in that spot, but could easily see myself using the U45 there as well. Just a bit more versatility with the iron version. The utility irons basically just want to fly high and that's it, really difficult to flight them down and just forget about it from any remotely difficult lie in the rough.

4 and 5 game improvement irons for me. Super easy to hit and elevate just goes a little left when they are not happy but super long.

TAY; 7.5* SIM  SPEEDER 57  S.  (44 3/4")

TTL; 13.5* TSI 2 DIA BLU 70 S.  (42 7/8")

SRZ; 18* 85 U STEELFIBER 95I S. ( 39 3/4")

Cal; 4/5i EPIC, 6i-7i MVRK PR, 8i-PW MB  

Cal; 52* X FRG STK W. 
Cal;  ODYSSEY W B/W 

When I am striking the ball well I prefer a 4-iron as I can shape an iron much better than a hybrid. The hybrid is great when I need something to aid my long game and I don't feel confident in terms of the swing I am currently making. The decision usually happens on the range pre-round and the ousted club goes into the truck for the day.

I have tried the utility iron sparingly, but I've just never been able to figure out how to make it work for my swing. I am sure some dedicated range time with one is all that's needed, but it wasn't love at first sight.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

I have carried both the 4i and 4H in recent years, often in the bag together.

Here are 4 irons in discussion:

• Calla X20 Tour, 24*, shaft R.flex NS Pro 8950 GH (97 grams)
  • TM SLDR, 21*, shaft R. KBS Tour C-Taper 90 (~ 95 grams)
  • Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten, 22*, shaft R. KBS Tour 90 (101 grams parallel)

Here are 4 Hybrids in discussion:

• Adams V4, 22*, shaft R.Bassara R.flex (65 gram)
  • Cobra FlyZ 4-5H, set at 22*, shaft Matrix VLCT Altus Lite (75 grams)

First of all, the 4H pair are both traditional hybrids - not iron replacement. This means they have shaft lengths between fairway woods and numbered irons.

On 4 Hybrids: Adams V4 had lots of offset and delivered left misses at the wrong time. The FlyZ is set at 22* - minimum loft for the head - so it delivers a slight fade from a square stance. From a closed stance I can usually draw the ball.

Overall impressions: The 4Hs fly about a club longer, and are the more versatile club. The 4 irons, however, launch lower, tend to fly straighter and are teebox life-savers on those tight little par 4s from hell. Also useful on almost long par 3 holes where a 4H will blow you over the green and into the twilight zone.

Also, from a tee, the SLDR and CB Pro fly almost as long as the hybrid. 4i not as consistent from the fairway. (If I keep the CB Pro 4i in the bag, I may reshaft it to lighter weight graphite, as a semi-hybrid).

Where I get true overlap is the 7W and 3H. Pretty much the same distance. The 7W launches higher out of summer rough, while lower-launching 3H helps beat winter headwinds.

4i average = 175 / FlyZ 4H average = 185.

*Being I am 68 and have 90 MPH driver CHS (on good days), I have not really considered driving irons.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

I've done similar test but in the 3i slot.

TLDR; if you strike them all very well, there only main difference should be flight. Hybrid will spin the most with the most speed... the traditional iron will spin the least with the least ball speed with a driving iron somewhere in the middle. Most courses I play tend to be soft, so I would usually favor a hybrid, maybe even a 5w if it's not super windy out. Only one course I play can it get some what firm, in which case the 3i is the play, with more run out available.

I have quite the conundrum with this choice. I hit the 4 iron well. Goes typically where I want it to, but it is a much lower flight and I know I am not going to get everything out of it. The utility works better flight wise but I usually don't hit them quite as well. Possibly due to the lighter head feeling? Im not sure.

Hybrid gets me the height and typically the distance I need on well hits, but my misses are bigger left to right.... haha Im all sorts of effed

Have you tried a hybrid with the same steel shaft as your irons? I have an s300 in my 23* Super 9031, and I can't find a club that I can hit as consistent as it. I have no problems hitting it low or high when needed. I've tried some DI and other hybrids, but I just keep coming back to the Super 9031 after a round or two.

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17.25* (Motore F1 7s); 21* Callaway UW (Attas T2 8S); Adams Super 9031 23* (Recoil Prototype Utility 110 F4)
Irons: 5-PW Srixon ZX7 MKII (KBS 120 $ Taper)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

I carry both, the 4i and 4H. They both get used quite often but the 4i I like off the tee vs the 4H off the fairway or rough! The irons have steel shafts and the hybrid has graphite of course so two different clubs for sure!

I also just picked up a 3HL which is the hybrid iron from an old Ping set of G2's with a steel shaft that I want to hit this year to see where it may fall in the bag setup/yardage makeup!

Have you tried a hybrid with the same steel shaft as your irons? I have an s300 in my 23* Super 9031, and I can't find a club that I can hit as consistent as it. I have no problems hitting it low or high when needed. I've tried some DI and other hybrids, but I just keep coming back to the Super 9031 after a round or two.

That’s a good point. Never really thought about it haha

Forever Changing at this point.......

I agree that a 4Hy can be helpful in getting the ball up but I rarely hit my 3- or 4- into a green outside of the occasional long Par-3.

Thus, I carry an iron, more specifically a T-MB which is sort of built like a driving iron but still compact in terms of looks.

TSR3 (9o) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2+ (14.5o 3w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

TSR2 (21o 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-Gw) (Nippon Modus3)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS

That's a good point. Never really thought about it haha

Using the same shaft as your irons is something I have been doing for a while now and it makes a world of difference in consistency.

Unless you are looking for a distance club, i.e. not looking for a normal distance gap from your last iron, using the same shaft is probably the most correct thing to do.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

Went from 4i AP2 to 4i TMB. 4h would likely go too high for me. The TMB is great. Launches high with good spin. I can't really use it as a tee club bc it sounds too much for that

Epic Max LS 9* Ventus Black 6s / Cobra Radspeed 9* Tensei 1K 6x

Epic Flash 15* / Tour AD TP 7x and DI 7x

Sim Max 19* / DI 8x

Srixon Zx7 4-P

Ping Glide Stealth 52 (bent to 51)

SM6 - 56/10 (bent to 55/9)

Tour Issue LB Hi Toe 60*

Spider Plumber's Neck

TP5