2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Tested the 2019 balls against the (2018) TM TP5x. Results.

golfnhack

For those worried/lamenting the "Tour only" versions, do you think TM executives sit around a conference table saying, "gee Dave, I think we should release the inferior version to the masses and save the special ones for our Tour staff. That should really help us boost sales and gain market share..."

Silly

Likely not.

However they may release a ball to the masses that works best for average players, and release a ball on tour that works best for the pros.

After all, they do it with golf clubs, why wouldn’t they do it with golf balls?

PING G430 Max 10K Driver 8º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 5

PING G430 Max 3 Wood 14º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 6

Titleist TSr2 5 Wood 18º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 7

Titleist TSr2 7 Wood 21º ~ GD Tour AD-XC 8

Srixon ZX4 Mk II Irons 5–7 ~ Project X IO 6.0

Srixon ZX5 Mk II Irons 8–P ~ Project X IO 6.0

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Odyssey  Tri-Hot 5K Three ~ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

Tp5x was the longest for me off the tee and irons but it wasn’t consistent with spin numbers and this is a problem. To me it’s a gimmick ball in the same class as the AVX. I am not alone with this opinion. Just take a look at review videos with launch monitor data. You will see some shots that spin wild and some that don’t spin enough. It’s not about compression either..... the TP5 and both ProV1 models are superior IMO

Having played the avx for two weeks when it came out I’d say that’s exactly the comparison I’d draw. The tp5x acts all most identical to avx to me. No real green side spin , and some times super hot and sometimes confusingly short off driver. It has to be spin irregularities. Honestly hoping the 19 ball has more green side check and consistent spin off irons.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Tp5x was the longest for me off the tee and irons but it wasn’t consistent with spin numbers and this is a problem. To me it’s a gimmick ball in the same class as the AVX. I am not alone with this opinion. Just take a look at review videos with launch monitor data. You will see some shots that spin wild and some that don’t spin enough. It’s not about compression either..... the TP5 and both ProV1 models are superior IMO

Three of the top 10 players in the world play TP5x. To call it a gimmick and put it into the same class as a ball that has no tour presence is kind of ridiculous IMO.

Everyone will have different preferences and needs, and the 5x is most definitely not for everyone. I played TP5 all of 2017, but switched to TP5x in 2018 and played some of the best golf of my life. The spin characteristics are far more consistent than anything I've played before. My only gripe was short game spin and that's been addressed in the 2019 ball. Plus the 2019 ball is a little longer off the driver. Win-win for me.

So Rickie games 1/2 club in the irons, and 10 yards with his Driver. He wins in the very first tournament he puts the ball in play.

Of course... I did (like many others) wander whether that wedge pitch that ended up rolling into the water would have held the green if it were a ProV1X

He could have been playing balata and that pitch may have still ended up over the green. It doesn't take much water between the ball and club face to reduce friction to the point where it's nearly impossible to get enough spin on the ball to hold.

I agree with this idea. But. Watch that ball in slow mo. It tries to check. Indicating a pure strike and spin applied to the ball. Yet. It doesn’t grab at all. I know you think I’m just down on TM. But that’s not the case. I’ll play this ball if it works. But my first thought watching that live was “ see. See that’s exacrly what I’m seeing. It tries to grab. But it just doesn’t. And keeps on rolling “. I play the same type shot often. And most times with a v1x or b330 or bxs ball i couldn’t make it roll out of I tried from a tight lie. This ball (tp5x) is just like the avx in that it doesn’t grab. It rolls out. And that’s very hard to adjust to. Feels out of control.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Tp5x was the longest for me off the tee and irons but it wasn't consistent with spin numbers and this is a problem. To me it's a gimmick ball in the same class as the AVX. I am not alone with this opinion. Just take a look at review videos with launch monitor data. You will see some shots that spin wild and some that don't spin enough. It's not about compression either..... the TP5 and both ProV1 models are superior IMO

Three of the top 10 players in the world play TP5x. To call it a gimmick and put it into the same class as a ball that has no tour presence is kind of ridiculous IMO.

Everyone will have different preferences and needs, and the 5x is most definitely not for everyone. I played TP5 all of 2017, but switched to TP5x in 2018 and played some of the best golf of my life. The spin characteristics are far more consistent than anything I've played before. My only gripe was short game spin and that's been addressed in the 2019 ball. Plus the 2019 ball is a little longer off the driver. Win-win for me.

So Rickie games 1/2 club in the irons, and 10 yards with his Driver. He wins in the very first tournament he puts the ball in play.

Of course... I did (like many others) wander whether that wedge pitch that ended up rolling into the water would have held the green if it were a ProV1X

He could have been playing balata and that pitch may have still ended up over the green. It doesn't take much water between the ball and club face to reduce friction to the point where it's nearly impossible to get enough spin on the ball to hold.

I agree with this idea. But. Watch that ball in slow mo. It tries to check. Indicating a pure strike and spin applied to the ball. Yet. It doesn't grab at all. I know you think I'm just down on TM. But that's not the case. I'll play this ball if it works. But my first thought watching that live was " see. See that's exacrly what I'm seeing. It tries to grab. But it just doesn't. And keeps on rolling ". I play the same type shot often. And most times with a v1x or b330 or bxs ball i couldn't make it roll out of I tried from a tight lie. This ball (tp5x) is just like the avx in that it doesn't grab. It rolls out. And that's very hard to adjust to. Feels out of control.

When you're delivering that much loft at impact, it's impossible not to have some amount of backspin. But what you can't see with the naked eye or using slow motion is how much actual spin there actually is (the difference between 10,000 rpm and 2,000 rpm is hard to see, for example). What you saw with Rickie's pitch was the ball trying to check because it has some amount of backspin on it, but not there's nearly enough to stop the ball. As I stated above, this was all caused by lack of friction at impact due to water and not because of the ball.

The original TP5x was hard for some people to control around the greens. No question about that. That's one of the reasons TM has tried to improve that aspect of performance with the 2019 model.

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 9.0, Ventus Black 6X, 45.5"

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 4 (16.5), HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.5 70g, 42.5"

TaylorMade P790 3 (2021), DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC Raw 4-PW, DG Mid X100 (SSx1)
TaylorMade MG4 50, 54 - DG S400

Titleist SM9 58T - DG S400
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport, 34"
TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

Rickie's shot you're all referencing was from wet grass. He caught a slight flier and that could have happened with any Tour level ball when some went grass gets between clubface and ball.

I'll agree that the TP5x has less greenside spin than some other Tour balls, but it really comes down to preference and technique. Get just a smidge of wet grass between clubface and ball and that's all it takes for erratic spin, no matter the ball.

The TP5x does spin a bit less around the greens than some other Tour level balls, but I actually prefer the way it reacts and have no problem pinching a low spinner that grabs off of a tight lie.

I dont buy the "inconsistent" spin theories. If your seeing inconsistencies in spin and distance it's likely the inconsistencies in your swing, contact, and/or short game technique. Plenty get along with the TP5x just fine, and its actually quite popular among really good players.

I'm looking forward to trying the new version.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Rickie's shot you're all referencing was from wet grass. He caught a slight flier and that could have happened with any Tour level ball when some went grass gets between clubface and ball.

I'll agree that the TP5x has less greenside spin than some other Tour balls, but it really comes down to preference and technique. Get just a smidge of wet grass between clubface and ball and that's all it takes for erratic spin, no matter the ball.

The TP5x does spin a bit less around the greens than some other Tour level balls, but I actually prefer the way it reacts and have no problem pinching a low spinner that grabs off of a tight lie.

I dont buy the "inconsistent" spin theories. If your seeing inconsistencies in spin and distance it's likely the inconsistencies in your swing, contact, and/or short game technique. Plenty get along with the TP5x just fine, and its actually quite popular among really good players.

I want to agree with your logic. But I went 2 rounds scoring highest scores for me in 6 months with tp5x. Pulled out my last sleeve of 15 v1x the next round and immediately had control of flight , wedges spin etc. and I have been swinging well for 5-6 months straight. Good groove. Anecdotal yes. But hard to argue with in practice. I just can’t seem to control this ball. When it hits the ground it has legs. And my shots just don’t normally have that. Ever. I bring it in high and hole high. Or low with tons of spin . Hole high. Even I high fade rolls some. But yet if I try to play for the roll it doesn’t really roll up. As in any false front kills it. Then it starts to get in your head. You hit what may just be a normal flier and poof. 5 yards over the back. You think “ damn ball “. And all confidence is lost. Bottom line is I’m looking for the Goldie locks of balls. Low spin off driver and mucho spin around the greens. Playing for roll is just adding a variable.

As for good or tour players using it. I know it’s been argued already. But you know as well as I do they are playing a tuned version for them from the conforming list. Just like titleist guys. The left dot v1x is the ball id play if I could get it. The sleeves I’ve been given are just the flight and spin level I’d want off driver. And still more than enough green side. But you can’t buy that ball. The 19 v1x so far is much better than the 17 for sure. But I haven’t hit it in the wind yet.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I want to agree with your logic. But I went 2 rounds scoring highest scores for me in 6 months with tp5x. Pulled out my last sleeve of 15 v1x the next round and immediately had control of flight , wedges spin etc. and I have been swinging well for 5-6 months straight. Good groove. Anecdotal yes. But hard to argue with in practice. I just can’t seem to control this ball. When it hits the ground it has legs. And my shots just don’t normally have that. Ever. I bring it in high and hole high. Or low with tons of spin . Hole high. Even I high fade rolls some. But yet if I try to play for the roll it doesn’t really roll up. As in any false front kills it. Then it starts to get in your head. You hit what may just be a normal flier and poof. 5 yards over the back. You think “ damn ball “. And all confidence is lost. Bottom line is I’m looking for the Goldie locks of balls. Low spin off driver and mucho spin around the greens. Playing for roll is just adding a variable.

As for good or tour players using it. I know it’s been argued already. But you know as well as I do they are playing a tuned version for them from the conforming list. Just like titleist guys. The left dot v1x is the ball id play if I could get it. The sleeves I’ve been given are just the flight and spin level I’d want off driver. And still more than enough green side. But you can’t buy that ball. The 19 v1x so far is much better than the 17 for sure. But I haven’t hit it in the wind yet.

Well, I'll agree confidence is king ?. If you're not confident in the 5x, fortunately there are many alternative brands. I've played well with it for over a year and shot the first bogey-free round of my life last week using the TP5X, so my confidence is very high with it.

I love the TP5x and consider it the best ball I've ever used, especially in the wind. I'm a pretty high spin/high flight player though, and the flatter flight after reaching apex is good for me. I can also flight it down and still keep it flat, where I the ProV will want to rise.

I've had no problems at all with short game with it but concede that it spins less than some others. I find it very consistent though...

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

I'm amazed at how people react when a ball doesn't fit them. The ball isn't crap if it doesn't work for you. It just doesn't work for you and your swing or technique.

For instance, the AVX is a bad fit for me and the course I play. It's a low flight causes problems because our greens are rock hard. Yet, I know this ball isn't a piece of junk. It just doesn't fit me. If I played a course that had soft greens, it would be a great ball and I'd be playing it.

As for the TP5x greenside spin, I have no problems getting it to spin, but I do know others that can't get it to spin at all. What I like about it is I get consistent green side spin. I know what to expect when I'm into the grain vs away from the grain. I can play shots that don't check and shots that will one hop and stop.

In the end there really aren't any "crap" balls out there these days. They just all do slightly different things and finding the proper fit for your swing and technique is the key. Just because it doesn't work for you, doesn't mean it won't work for everyone else too.

Ping G400 LST Ping Tour Stiff 63
Callaway Epic Fash Sub Zero 15 Hzrdus Smoke 6.5
Titleist 818 H1 19 Evenflow Blue 6.5 85
Titleist T100s Black 4-PW Dynamic Gold AMT Tour White
Titleist SM8 52 Dynamic Gold S200
TM High Toe 58 KBS Hi Rev 115 Stiff
TM High Toe 64 KBS Hi Rev 115 Stiff
TM Spider X

I'm amazed at how people react when a ball doesn't fit them. The ball isn't crap if it doesn't work for you. It just doesn't work for you and your swing or technique.

For instance, the AVX is a bad fit for me and the course I play. It's a low flight causes problems because our greens are rock hard. Yet, I know this ball isn't a piece of junk. It just doesn't fit me. If I played a course that had soft greens, it would be a great ball and I'd be playing it.

As for the TP5x greenside spin, I have no problems getting it to spin, but I do know others that can't get it to spin at all. What I like about it is I get consistent green side spin. I know what to expect when I'm into the grain vs away from the grain. I can play shots that don't check and shots that will one hop and stop.

In the end there really aren't any "crap" balls out there these days. They just all do slightly different things and finding the proper fit for your swing and technique is the key. Just because it doesn't work for you, doesn't mean it won't work for everyone else too.

Agree. Didn’t mean to imply that it was crap. But I did mean to say that it isn’t a game changer as reported. We’ve seen claims of 4 mph ballspeed from the 19 ball. Which I haven’t tested yet so we willl see. If it tests faster I’ll say it does. If it doesn’t I’ll say it doesn’t. If it spins around the green great. If it doesn’t .., well avx is the best comparison. And avx is a wonderful ball. If I played links courses always I may use it because you can count on it not spinning. Ever. So running shots in would be predictable.

I’ll also add that spin is super subjective.

When I say spin I’m talking about being able to hit that downhill 10-15 ft shot off a tight lie where you saw the legs out and the ball checks and dies. Or the wet shortsided bunker shot where you can get the ball to check hard and die inside a foot of where it hits. Or the 30-40 yard low pitch where you throw it 3 ft from the pin and watch it dance towards the cup and die. The older tp5 x. Tries to check but it just then rolls out the extra 3/5 ft. No good for my eye.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

People on golfwrx need to save this post and read it over and over. Especially the last paragraph which no one can intelligently argue with.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I'll agree confidence is king ?. If you're not confident in the 5x, fortunately there are many alternative brands. I've played well with it for over a year and shot the first bogey-free round of my life last week using the TP5X, so my confidence is very high with it.

I love the TP5x and consider it the best ball I've ever used, especially in the wind.

+1 on TP5x delivering my first (and only) bogey-free round ever. Really great ball, and I think it's most underrated aspect is how well it performs off the putter.

TaylorMade M5 / Callaway Mavrik 3W / Maltby KE4 FDI 19 / Callaway Mavrik Pro 3H / Maltby TS1 4-GW / Callaway MD2 56 / Odyssey Double Wide / Titleist Pro V1

• 2 months later...

Wow... This is interesting. My entire post was deleted. Reason given "I was promoting a brand". Literally (and hopefully you saw the post before they deleted it) all I did was take the same balls from the PGA show and test them against my gamer, the 2018 TP5X. The conclusion I had was that FOR ME the TP5X was the best ball... but to make sure you test them yourselves. I am shocked my entire post was deleted. I put a lot of effort in that post. Way to go WRX... way to discourage meaningful user content.

"Some emotions cannot be endured with a golf club in your hand." - Bobby Jones

> @golfnhack said:

> Wow... This is interesting. My entire post was deleted. Reason given "I was promoting a brand". Literally (and hopefully you saw the post before they deleted it) all I did was take the same balls from the PGA show and test them against my gamer, the 2018 TP5X. The conclusion I had was that FOR ME the TP5X was the best ball... but to make sure you test them yourselves. I am shocked my entire post was deleted. I put a lot of effort in that post. Way to go WRX... way to discourage meaningful user content.

LOL.

I was wondering about that given all the praise you'd gotten in the earlier posts for your comprehensive test. And I'm thinking "Huh ?"

Wonder why they didn't just delete it.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

> @nsxguy said:

> > @golfnhack said:

> > Wow... This is interesting. My entire post was deleted. Reason given "I was promoting a brand". Literally (and hopefully you saw the post before they deleted it) all I did was take the same balls from the PGA show and test them against my gamer, the 2018 TP5X. The conclusion I had was that FOR ME the TP5X was the best ball... but to make sure you test them yourselves. I am shocked my entire post was deleted. I put a lot of effort in that post. Way to go WRX... way to discourage meaningful user content.

>

> LOL.

>

> I was wondering about that given all the praise you'd gotten in the earlier posts for your comprehensive test. And I'm thinking "Huh ?"

>

> Wonder why they didn't just delete it.

Especially since TM was not at the show... and I didn't even get to hit the 2019 TP5x... so how on earth was I promoting anything?

"Some emotions cannot be endured with a golf club in your hand." - Bobby Jones