2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Why are graphite irons no longer popular

Lamb

Is there any statistically significant data from Club Champion or any other nationwide fitter or retailer?

Personally I'm 100% on board with graphite iron shafts. They can be engineered to almost any bend profile desired whereas extruded steel tubing is limited to step patterns. Until 3D printed steel shafts are commercially viable, engineered graphite provides design advantages.

Since I work as a fitter for one of the world's largest golf retailers (Golf Town) I think the data I posted on #28 above woild be close to the N. American average. Not every one is a +2 who needs X100 or PX 6.5 shafts.

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steelfibers were my best change of 2018. Used them the whole season and plan on using them for 2019. Forces me to focus on tempo and transition. Bad tempo and transition I found were punished by more of a pull or hook over heavier steel shafts.

And this is a good thing? I think I play heavier steel shafts for the exact opposite reason you play graphite. If you can handle the extra weight, there is literally no downside to steel. Heavier is almost always better.

Steelfibers were my best change of 2018. Used them the whole season and plan on using them for 2019. Forces me to focus on tempo and transition. Bad tempo and transition I found were punished by more of a pull or hook over heavier steel shafts.

And this is a good thing? I think I play heavier steel shafts for the exact opposite reason you play graphite. If you can handle the extra weight, there is literally no downside to steel. Heavier is almost always better.

I have had right elbow problem since I was 13...am 43 now. Less vibration and my clubhead speed went up. It did force me to rebuild my swing for the better.

Graphite has become more popular IMO. Pros never used, some do now. New technology has made graphite iron shafts much more consistent than those over 10 years old.

My Recoils were the best upgrade I've made in recent memory.

2021 Bag Update:

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Apex '21 Irons 5-7  MMT95 TT

Apex Pro '21 Irons 8-A  MMT95 TT

PM Grind Slate Wedges 58/64

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow

I went from C-Taper 120's to SF 110cw's last year after elbow pain was reducing my ability to play. 3 rounds after putting the SF into play my pain was gone and hasn't returned. I see no need to ever return to steel.

Score 1 for graphite iron shafts.

Paradym 10.5

Epic 3w 15

Callaway Apex UW 21*

Titelist T150

Callaway Jaws 5 50*, 54*

Cleve Zip 60*

Ping PLD3/Rahm Rossie S/TP Mills Fleetwood custom

I see more graphite shafted irons than ever before. Not sure what your OP is based on. There are more options now for better players in weight and bend profiles than previous decades as well as seniors and women. I think the age of graphite irons is upon us!

• Callaway Rogue Draw 10.5*
  • The Perfect Club 21
  • Callaway XROS 64
  • PING Eye 2 BeCu 7 - SW
  • PING Kartsen Craz-E

I have had right elbow problem since I was 13...am 43 now. Less vibration and my clubhead speed went up. It did force me to rebuild my swing for the better.

Makes total sense and in your case, heavier is not better.

"If you can handle the extra weight, there is literally no downside to steel."

Going to have to disagree on this. Those with creaky joints, repaired shoulders and elbows, or wrists that ache will explain the downside to steel. Graphite or Steelfiber shafts have improved many players game. Me included.

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

"If you can handle the extra weight, there is literally no downside to steel."

Going to have to disagree on this. Those with creaky joints, repaired shoulders and elbows, or wrists that ache will explain the downside to steel. Graphite or Steelfiber shafts have improved many players game. Me included.

Totally agree with you. I think you may have missed the "If you can handle the extra weight" part. It was directed at that segment of golfer, sorry if that was not clear.

Generally, for a player that has good joint health and normal strength the heavier weight will promote better swing tendencies vs. lighter weight.

:dntknw: Don’t know, my Recoils are very popular with me....easily he best equipment change of my career.

He’s not talking about shafts he’s referring to actual iron head material.

Never seen a graphite iron head.

Nor have I.

I recall Yamaha making irons with graphite heads and shafts in the 1990's. The soles were steel bonded to a granite head.

I knew a guy

who played these for a while. As I recall, the heads were about the size of a saucer. For Guia, Yonex, Yamaha among others. Short lived experiment.

Someday it will be strange to see someone with a steel iron shaft, just like when the sneaker brigade is out and you see a steel shaft driver

Someday may be a long way off. The demise of the steel shaft has been predicted for 50 years now. As long as most tour pros play steel shafts in their irons the general golfing public will demand them.

The heads yes, shafts no. Yonex and Yamaha graphite heads flopped. There are far more graphite shafts on Tours now than ever. Duke, Snedeker, Kucher, Couples and many more on all three Tours.

I remember those Yonnex and Yamaha irons. That's going back to the mid-late 80's when I was a bag rat (cleaned clubs) at a local country club. With graphite shafts those things were incredibly light.

There was always that one member or members who had to have the latest goofy a** irons. Remember the Cleveland VAS or the Tiger Sharks. Browning 440's?

Someday it will be strange to see someone with a steel iron shaft, just like when the sneaker brigade is out and you see a steel shaft driver

Show me a 130g graphite iron shaft you can get for anywhere remotely close to $20/ea.

Particularly with irons, weight is a much more important factor that shaft profile. It's not about max distance with irons, it's about consistency and more often than not heavier weight will allow for better consistency than lighter.

This prediction isn't one that will come true.

Show me a 130g graphite iron shaft you can get for anywhere remotely close to $20/ea.

Particularly with irons, weight is a much more important factor that shaft profile. It's not about max distance with irons, it's about consistency and more often than not heavier weight will allow for better consistency than lighter.

Except that it's already come true with drivers, woods, hybrids, and driving irons.

Except that it's already come true with drivers, woods, hybrids, and driving irons.

In all of those cases the goal is increased distance, which lighter graphite shafts can give you. That is not the goal with your irons, consistency is the goal.

I'll stand by my original statement.

The big miss regarding graphite iron shafts was always the expense. This hindered progress in the market. When steel shafts used to cost $10 or less a piece. Now, steel shafts are extremely expensive. Bridging the pricing gap has allowed shaft manufacturers to focus and invest in products and sell high quality steal replacement shafts for very similar expense. I believe the OEM’s will catch on and offer reasonably priced steel aleratives at a greater rate. I expect this trend continues as well. Just as multi-material clubs have become all the rage you will continue to see the same process in graphite iron shafts. I was a early adopter and watched and analyzed this evolution as it unfolded. The product has exponentially improved with very few technical characteristics that can’t be replicated. BB

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

In all of those cases the goal is increased distance, which lighter graphite shafts can give you. That is not the goal with your irons, consistency is the goal.

Heavy weight shafts are a shrinking part of the marketplace. There will always be those that like them and I suspect steel will dominate that segment; a heavy weight graphite shaft sort of defeats the prime advantages of graphite. Regarding consistency, it's the weight that leads to that not the material the shaft is made from.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

Heavy weight shafts are a shrinking part of the marketplace. There will always be those that like them and I suspect steel will dominate that segment; a heavy weight graphite shaft sort of defeats the prime advantages of graphite. Regarding consistency, it's the weight that leads to that not the material the shaft is made from.

Take a look at all the iron shafts on tour, it's completely dominated by heavy weight steel iron shafts. Those that like them are the very best in the world at what they do.

You are solidifying my original point on consistency/weight. Read post #48

"Show me a 130g graphite iron shaft you can get for anywhere remotely close to $20/ea.

Particularly with irons, weight is a much more important factor that shaft profile. It's not about max distance with irons, it's about consistency and more often than not heavier weight will allow for better consistency than lighter."

Give it 5 years, with the way graphite shafts are getting better each year, and the ability to make them perform even for better players for faster swing speeds, there will be a graphite shaft sighting on tour.

Driver: Ping G410 LST 8.5* Mitsubishi Diamana D+ Whiteboard 60X
3w: Ping G400 Tour XStiff
Hybrid: Mizuno CLK 19* Mitsubishi Diamana D+ Whiteboard 80X
2i: Mizuno MP-20 Steelfiber
4i-PW: Mizuno MP-20 AMT X100
50*, 55*, 60*: Mizuno T20 TT Dynamic Gold Tour S400
Putter: Toulon Design Stroke Lab Le Mans

Going back to Recoils. Graphite shafts are way more popular now. I put my son in them. You can go as light as 50g or as heavy as 130g in various stiffness. You want a rebar feel, done. You want whippy, you can get that too.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

I just went to lighter graphite shafts in irons due to arthritis, pains, etc. Dropped from 118gm to about 89 gm shafts at similar flex. Surprisingly shoot my cap on first several rounds with them and sooo much easier on the body.

• Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5; Mitsubishi Diamana TB 60 S; 45.5”
  • Taylormade SIM Max 3w and 5w; Mitsubishi Diamana BF 70 S; 43.25” & 42.25”
  • Mizuno '21 CLK 19, 22 & 25; Fujikura Speeder EVO 75 HB Graphite S; Std L/L/L; sub for 5w, 4i & 5i
  • PXG 0311 P GEN3 PW-4i; Aerotech Steelfiber i95 stiff ; Std L/+0.75"/2 up
  • Vokey SM9 50F8 & 54S10 and SM8 58M8; Mitsubishi MMT 105 S in 50 & KBS 610 Wedge R+ in 54 & 58; Std L/+0.75"/1 up
  • Odyssey White Hot OG #1 Stroke Lab Putter; 35/74; stock Odyssey grip
  • JumboMax JMX UltraLite small on all clubs except putter

As a long time fitter of 16 years my position is your statement is patently false. I fit 60-75 sets of irons every year and the overwhelmimg majority are NOT the 120-130 gram variants. Far more C-Taper Lite 105, X95/100/105, and Modus 105 are sold in custom builds than their heavier cousins. Consistency involves far more than shaft weight. Lie angle, loft gaping, grip type/size, head style, flex, and shaft material are all important.

I have seen customers gain 10-12 yds per iron with weaker lofts and lighter shafts without sacrificing one iota of accuracy. Why? They load and unload the shaft better with more speed while still squaring the clubface.

Certainly there are those who do need and play better with heavier shafts. They are in the minority of golfers, the strongest and ablest of strikers.

As a long time fitter of 16 years my position is your statement is patently false. I fit 60-75 sets of irons every year and the overwhelmimg majority are NOT the 120-130 gram variants. Far more C-Taper Lite 105, X95/100/105, and Modus 105 are sold in custom builds than their heavier cousins. Consistency involves far more than shaft weight. Lie angle, loft gaping, grip type/size, head style, flex, and shaft material are all important.

I have seen customers gain 10-12 yds per iron with weaker lofts and lighter shafts without sacrificing one iota of accuracy. Why? They load and unload the shaft better with more speed while still squaring the clubface.

Certainly there are those who do need and play better with heavier shafts. They are in the minority of golfers, the strongest and ablest of strikers.

Where did you read 120-130g variants in any of my posts? That is at the absolute heaviest end of the spectrum, by no means am I saying most will fit into that category. Your assumption there is what appears to be "patently false".

We are talking steel vs. graphite, last I checked "C-Taper Lite 105, X95/100/105, and Modus 105" all check in as "steel" and are heavier than the typical graphite iron shaft build. Aren't you backing up my argument here that if you fit more of into these than their lighter graphite counterparts?

What is "patently false" about that?

Where did you read 120-130g variants in any of my posts? That is at the absolute heaviest end of the spectrum, by no means am I saying most will fit into that category. Your assumption there is what appears to be "patently false".

We are talking steel vs. graphite, last I checked "C-Taper Lite 105, X95/100/105, and Modus 105" all check in as "steel" and are heavier than the typical graphite iron shaft build. Aren't you backing up my argument here that if you fit more of into these than their lighter graphite counterparts?

What is "patently false" about that?

No, I am talking about weight as your thesis was that heavier shafts performed better. You did not qualify the type of player nor did you specify graphite or steel. I listed all the shafts mentioned as examples of how the market has changed in the last five years. I could have included Recoils, Matrix or other graphite shafts in heavier or similar lighter weights but chose not too. It does not change the industry trend to lighter shafts. The OEMS and shaft manufacturers are not stupid and know what 90% of players should use. Their product offerings reflect that tend.

The heads yes, shafts no. Yonex and Yamaha graphite heads flopped. There are far more graphite shafts on Tours now than ever. Duke, Snedeker, Kucher, Couples and many more on all three Tours.

I remember those Yonnex and Yamaha irons. That's going back to the mid-late 80's when I was a bag rat (cleaned clubs) at a local country club. With graphite shafts those things were incredibly light.

There was always that one member or members who had to have the latest goofy a** irons. Remember the Cleveland VAS or the Tiger Sharks. Browning 440's?

Yep, the guy I knew who owned the Yonex clubs also had a set of MacGregor Featherweights or whatever Mac called those super light clubs. I think Calvin Peete and Tom Kite played the super lights with some success on tour, but they bear little resemblance to a club player.