New TP5 and TP5X

jwb10

Anyone chomping at the bit may want to check Academy sports, mine had the 2019 tp5s out today!

good info

i checked my shop and they are waiting on the ups truck and expect balls and spider X today.... i guess TM waiting till the last second to ship to stop guys like me from getting them a few days early..lol come on TM $ is $....

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I use a check n go for my golf balls. 1 out of 4 TM balls are so out of round they hit the cover of the check n go. I have only had one ProV do this in 8 dozen....

I've been testing balls with an open mind and found this to be true myself. I've marked and tested the out of round balls on my home putting green and you can absolutely see the difference. Bridgestone is by far the most consistently round ball made. Titleist is good too ( 19 model v1x) and chrome soft x is about 2 balls per dozen bad. Funny thing is that the less than perfect callaway balls still roll pretty true. But the tp5x doesn't. I had one in fact that if you lined up the heavy side opposite of break would roll straight and not break.

Curious why this comment was completely ignored ?

Believe it or not this isn't a compete deal breaker as I can always use practice balls . 2-4 per dozen out of round could be overloooked if the ball was game changing as reported. Going to test the new ball and see.

This is disturbing. 1 out of 4?!

twice 4 per dozen for me ... 3rd dozen i checked had only 3 wobblers...to be fair it happens with all makes... but that rate is pretty high ... ( no i didnt by 3 boxes.. only 1)

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Got mine today...Edwin Watts on Northlake in Palm Beach Gardens. I head to Punta Espada in the DR next week, so happy to pick these up in time for my trip!

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Soooooo jealous of you guys who’ve got them in-hand.

I pre-ordered some online here in the U.K. Was told they would be shipped Friday. I’ve had Tracking number - but it’s not live. Despite checking 20 times a day :-)

PING - G20 - 9.5  degree - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
BRIDGESTONE J33 (15) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
MIZUNO Fli-Hi (17+20) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
PING  ZING2 Irons (4-PW) - Black Lie angle - JZ Stiff
CALLAWAY MD3 Black (52+58 deg) DG Pro: S300
RIFE Iconic Three Putter -  343g  / 34.5" / 68 Deg 

TAYLORMADE TP5-X Yellow << 2021 Version >>

Regards "Shuv" : sevenfourate's WITB LINK (Click right here):

Simple on course chemistry test to see if balls are really different from old TP5 & TP5X

1) on a slope green release balls at same time to test roll speed.

2) Drop balls from 6 ft high onto green on three occasions at the same time to see angle of response

3) Hit 2 balls each from 50 yards with a 60 degree wedge to check spin response from short distance.

4) Hit 3 balls each with 9 degree loft driver

to check ball flight and distance

5) Hit 2 balls each with 7 irons to check ball flight and distance.

A 0-6 handicapper should be able to carry out this test with ease. Unfortunately I am not that low a handicapper so I am out of the running

Don’t tell me how to live my life

Simple on course chemistry test to see if balls are really different from old TP5 & TP5X

1) on a slope green release balls at same time to test roll speed.

2) Drop balls from 6 ft high onto green on three occasions at the same time to see angle of response

3) Hit 2 balls each from 50 yards with a 60 degree wedge to check spin response from short distance.

4) Hit 3 balls each with 9 degree loft driver

to check ball flight and distance

5) Hit 2 balls each with 7 irons to check ball flight and distance.

A 0-6 handicapper should be able to carry out this test with ease. Unfortunately I am not that low a handicapper so I am out of the running

Don’t tell me how to live my life

I was thinking this

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I use a check n go for my golf balls. 1 out of 4 TM balls are so out of round they hit the cover of the check n go. I have only had one ProV do this in 8 dozen....

I've been testing balls with an open mind and found this to be true myself. I've marked and tested the out of round balls on my home putting green and you can absolutely see the difference. Bridgestone is by far the most consistently round ball made. Titleist is good too ( 19 model v1x) and chrome soft x is about 2 balls per dozen bad. Funny thing is that the less than perfect callaway balls still roll pretty true. But the tp5x doesn't. I had one in fact that if you lined up the heavy side opposite of break would roll straight and not break.

Believe it or not this isn't a compete deal breaker as I can always use practice balls . 2-4 per dozen out of round could be overloooked if the ball was game changing as reported. Going to test the new ball and see.

twice 4 per dozen for me ... 3rd dozen i checked had only 3 wobblers...to be fair it happens with all makes... but that rate is pretty high ... ( no i didnt by 3 boxes.. only 1)

When I tried playing Chrome X about a year ago I was using the method Bryson does. Out of every dozen there were usually only 3 or 4 balls that were perfect round. The rest weren't. So 4 out of round isn't so bad. But Bridgestone was the best out of the ones I tested. TM and Titleist were about the same.

Ping G400 LST Ping Tour Stiff 63
Callaway Epic Fash Sub Zero 15 Hzrdus Smoke 6.5
Titleist 818 H1 19 Evenflow Blue 6.5 85
Titleist T100s Black 4-PW Dynamic Gold AMT Tour White
Titleist SM8 52 Dynamic Gold S200
TM High Toe 58 KBS Hi Rev 115 Stiff
TM High Toe 64 KBS Hi Rev 115 Stiff
TM Spider X

For those who tested both balls, off the driver, which is the lowest launch - TP5 or TP5X? Looking at both balls, 108 SS

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Cobra Forged Tec X 5 - PW KBS TGI 85 stiff shafts
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48* & Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

For those who tested both balls, off the driver, which is the lowest launch - TP5 or TP5X? Looking at both balls, 108 SS

TP5 is designed to be the lower launch ball between the two.

Ping G400 LST Ping Tour Stiff 63
Callaway Epic Fash Sub Zero 15 Hzrdus Smoke 6.5
Titleist 818 H1 19 Evenflow Blue 6.5 85
Titleist T100s Black 4-PW Dynamic Gold AMT Tour White
Titleist SM8 52 Dynamic Gold S200
TM High Toe 58 KBS Hi Rev 115 Stiff
TM High Toe 64 KBS Hi Rev 115 Stiff
TM Spider X

When I tried playing Chrome X about a year ago I was using the method Bryson does. Out of every dozen there were usually only 3 or 4 balls that were perfect round. The rest weren't. So 4 out of round isn't so bad. But Bridgestone was the best out of the ones I tested. TM and Titleist were about the same.

Yea. Sounds right. Callaway did have many less than perfect ones. Just barely out.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

This is of course the well-advertised and standard response (And i'm in no way attacking you for that !!)

What i have never heard / read / seen is: if and how the two differ in terms of Apex height or indeed ‘flight path’ ie: Is the TP5 lower launch and then rises faster to the same Apex. Or is it low-launch AND lower total height per-se. As we all know with shafts - initial launch only being part of the story. ***Or do they perhaps wrongly describe overall flight as ‘launch’ ?

Low launch and low Apex / flight: would really be the icing on the cake for me.......playing on wind-infested Coastal courses much of the time.

PING - G20 - 9.5  degree - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
BRIDGESTONE J33 (15) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
MIZUNO Fli-Hi (17+20) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
PING  ZING2 Irons (4-PW) - Black Lie angle - JZ Stiff
CALLAWAY MD3 Black (52+58 deg) DG Pro: S300
RIFE Iconic Three Putter -  343g  / 34.5" / 68 Deg 

TAYLORMADE TP5-X Yellow << 2021 Version >>

Regards "Shuv" : sevenfourate's WITB LINK (Click right here):

This is of course the well-advertised and standard response (And i'm in no way attacking you for that !!)

What i have never heard / read / seen is: if and how the two differ in terms of Apex height or indeed 'flight path' ie: Is the TP5 lower launch and then rises faster to the same Apex. Or is it low-launch AND lower total height per-se. As we all know with shafts - initial launch only being part of the story. ***Or do they perhaps wrongly describe overall flight as 'launch' ?

Low launch and low Apex / flight: would really be the icing on the cake for me.......playing on wind-infested Coastal courses much of the time.

Both apex pretty much at the same height but because the TP5x launches higher it "appears" to go higher overall. If you want the lowest launch and spin from any premium ball offering you want the AVX.

Both apex pretty much at the same height but because the TP5x launches higher it "appears" to go higher overall. If you want the lowest launch and spin from any premium ball offering you want the AVX.

I play that already, very, very nice ball suits my swing. Hated the ProV and ProVx balls but AVX is something, durable as well. I also play the XV 5, 4 as well but this new TP5 and TP5X looks very intriguing, kinda reminds me of the Red/LDP balls. I just went to Roger Dunn, they claim they won't have this till 3/15. Ugh...

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Cobra Forged Tec X 5 - PW KBS TGI 85 stiff shafts
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48* & Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

I play that already, very, very nice ball suits my swing. Hated the ProV and ProVx balls but AVX is something, durable as well. I also play the XV 5, 4 as well but this new TP5 and TP5X looks very intriguing, kinda reminds me of the Red/LDP balls. I just went to Roger Dunn, they claim they won't have this till 3/15. Ugh...

I wan to like the AVX but am going through a "face to path" change and the AVX is dropping out of the sky for me on some drives. WIth that said I 100% understand why a lot of folks play the AVX as its a great ball. To rub salt into your eyes I picked up a dozen of TP5x's today and will test them this weekend :) . Off the putter. the TP5x is less "clicky" sounding than the 2019 Prov1x so I am kind of excited. Might be a good compromise between the ProV1 and ProV1x.

GolfBox just posted a review today of new TP5X. Not sure if he cherry picked data but it was a whopping 5mph faster than old TP5X and I think that amounted to something like 5 meters more carry for him. Spin was a touch higher and launch was lower.

If that's real results, count me in. I'm already playing the OG TP5X so adding some more yards without losing spin is a dream.

Anyone get to try either the TP5 or TP5X and can speak on durability compared to prior year's version? I want to like the ball but can't justify the high price if one swipe with a wedge will force me to change balls.

Titleist TSR3 10* - Tensei 1K White 60TX

Callaway Paradym TD 15* - Mitsubishi Kaili White 70X

TRS2 21* - Hzrdus Black Gen 4 80X

Titleist T100 - Project X 6.5

Titleist Vokey SM 9 48*/53*/58* - Dynamic Gold S400 Onyx

Taylormade Spider X

2023 ProV1X

So the official release has come and gone, and there's nothing on the website about the ninja star version. Wonder why.

Titleist TS4 9.5* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TX
Callaway Epic SubZero 13.5* - Fujikura Motore Speeded TS 6.3X
TaylorMade SLDR 2h 17* - Fujikura Pro 83h X
Sub 70 699 ProU 3i 19* - Aerotech Steelfiber 110 X

Sub70 699 5-7i, 699 Pro 8-P - Aerotech Steelfiber 110 X
Maltby Max Milled Wedges .900" - 50* & 56*
Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 64*
Bettinardi Queen B #8
Titleist AVX Yellow (Summer) / Srixon Q-Star Tour Yellow (Winter)
Born in the USA, Made in Detroit, Grinding in San Diego

Ive been playing the TP5 since this range came out a couple of years ago. While the TP5X performance suits my game slightly better, I could not get past the plastic feel off the putter and short game shots. I picked up a dozen TP5x today and while I haven’t put them in play on course due to the rain her in SoCal today, I did what every WRXer would do and hit the putting green and short game area of my local course during a small window of no rain. This years model of TP5x feels noticeably softer off of the putter and chips and pitches. I know they are pushing a ball speed increase with this years release but if I can just get last years model with a softer feel that’s a huge upgrade for me. If any of the ball speed gains pan out, that’s just a bonus!

Ive been playing the TP5 since this range came out a couple of years ago. While the TP5X performance suits my game slightly better, I could not get past the plastic feel off the putter and short game shots. I picked up a dozen TP5x today and while I haven’t put them in play on course due to the rain her in SoCal today, I did what every WRXer would do and hit the putting green and short game area of my local course during a small window of no rain. This years model of TP5x feels noticeably softer off of the putter and chips and pitches. I know they are pushing a ball speed increase with this years release but if I can just get last years model with a softer feel that’s a huge upgrade for me. If any of the ball speed gains pan out, that’s just a bonus!

Interesting observation. In this release the compression has been raised significantly.

Ok on a trackman today. The ball feels harder. And I have about 4yds in my 7 iron. I did notice a higher ball flight by about 10ft ish. Oh it was a tp5x. I hit it side by side with new/old

How were the spin numbers? I couldn’t tell because I didn’t hit it side by side with another ball yesterday but seemed like it was a really low spin ball, possibly too low to be a real “tour” ball. More like an avx. Disclaimer is that I was playing a course I never play and was in a huge hurry so like I said, there was nothing side by side and it’s possible the greens just weren’t receptive. I should also say that the first tp5x is the best ball I’ve ever played. Just went to the srixon xv recently because they’re 18$ a dozen but I lost a half club in the mid irons and a full club in the long irons and the flight is so much weaker for me in the long clubs that in the wind I realize how good the tp5x really is.

I got my sleeve of the 2019 tp5x today. I have a large indoor putting green that I can chip onto also. The 2019 has a more muted sound/feel off the putter face (Spider Tour Black) than the last version. The last version had a little more click sound to it. Chipping I could not feel or hear a difference. This is all indoors, for me the sound and feel always change when I get out on a real green, but being in Michigan we are still a few months out until I can get a full feel for it.

Dr: TSi3 10 Ventus Red 6s

F: TS2 16.5 Ventus Red 7s

H: 915h 18 and 24 diamana s+

I: P770 5-PW Steelfiber i95s

W: MG3 49, 54, 58 dg115

P: Scotty Cameron Flowback 5.5 w/      custom CT Tour shaft (custom red,white,blue paint fill with stars & stripes headcover)

B: BX / TP5X 

Ok on a trackman today. The ball feels harder. And I have about 4yds in my 7 iron. I did notice a higher ball flight by about 10ft ish. Oh it was a tp5x. I hit it side by side with new/old

How were the spin numbers? I couldn’t tell because I didn’t hit it side by side with another ball yesterday but seemed like it was a really low spin ball, possibly too low to be a real “tour” ball. More like an avx. Disclaimer is that I was playing a course I never play and was in a huge hurry so like I said, there was nothing side by side and it’s possible the greens just weren’t receptive. I should also say that the first tp5x is the best ball I’ve ever played. Just went to the srixon xv recently because they’re 18$ a dozen but I lost a half club in the mid irons and a full club in the long irons and the flight is so much weaker for me in the long clubs that in the wind I realize how good the tp5x really is.

The spin numbers seemed pretty much the same. I am a higher spinning type of swinger. And tbh I was more focused on the carry distance and really only was hitting a 7 iron. The only driver I did was with sst I was doing. But my 7 was carrying 4-5 yards more and about 10ft higher apex. The spin was in mid 6k range.

Ive been playing the TP5 since this range came out a couple of years ago. While the TP5X performance suits my game slightly better, I could not get past the plastic feel off the putter and short game shots. I picked up a dozen TP5x today and while I haven't put them in play on course due to the rain her in SoCal today, I did what every WRXer would do and hit the putting green and short game area of my local course during a small window of no rain. This years model of TP5x feels noticeably softer off of the putter and chips and pitches. I know they are pushing a ball speed increase with this years release but if I can just get last years model with a softer feel that's a huge upgrade for me. If any of the ball speed gains pan out, that's just a bonus!

Bought a dozen of the 2019 TP5x for testing (along with Prov1 and Prov1x) and have the same opinion about the new ball as you did with the older version. The TP5x feels awful and the only way I can describe it is its it has that AVX sound at impact with the putter and wedges and I don't like it. If the older Tp5x was even a harder feel than the 19 model no wonder reviews were so bad. Other that my opinion on feel its a great ball but between the TP5 and TP5x I would pick the TP5 every time. FYI for those wondering, all three balls I have been testing (2019 Prov1, 2019, Prov1x, and TP5x) are awesome performers. Only two rounds in with my tests but they are equal off the tee and fairly equal off my long and mid irons. Short irons I give the edge to Prov1x with spin but its not enough to matter. Going to come down to putter and chipping feel for me and will be between the Prov1 and TP5 I think.

TLDR cant go wrong with any of these balls as they are all awesome!

Only 2 YouTube reviews I can find.

One showed the new TP5x is longer off the tee than the old. Spin was the virtually the same but ball speed was up and accounted for the gains.

The other video only showed 7 irons. The spin on the new ball was about 800 less and therefore the ball went about 6 yards longer, and a bit higher. So it held the green the same.

Assuming the short game is on par with the other X balls around, the new TP5x could be a real winner.

Titleist TSR3 - 9* - Ventus TR Black 6x

Callaway Rogue LS - 15* - Tour ADXC 7x

Callaway Apex UW - 19* - Ventus Black 7x

PXG 0311P Gen6 - 5i-GW - DG x100

Vokey SM9 - 52.12F, 56.14F - KBS Tour 120 Wedge

Vokey SM9 - 60.08M - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

L.A.B Link.1
Callaway Chrome Soft TruTrack (Winter)
Vessel Player III - Citrine/White/Black (Riding)
Vessel VLS DXR - Grey/Orange (Walking/half-bag)