The hunt for the perfect 5 wood

keithrichards

Winter here in the Midwest so golf is non existent. I am very happy with my WITB but I am thinking of getting a 5 wood. The Rogue SubZero 3 wood is an absolute cannon off the tee but my confidence is nil off the deck. I am looking for something fairly compact that elevates well off the deck AND, more importantly, will go through the rough easily. My SS with driver is around 100. I plan to try out the SubZero 5 wood but am also pondering something that loft can be adjusted on. Oh, and I am not looking at the latest lines, as I have SubZero interest in dropping $300 for a 5 wood. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

-9* Callaway Rogue Sub Zero(Even Flow Blue 65s)
-15* Callaway Rogue Sub Zero(Even Flow Blue 75s)
-17.5* TaylorMade R7 TP (Diamana Blue 83s)
-4-PW Mizuno JPX EZ Forged(Nippon 1150GH R)
-Ben Hogan TK15 49*(KBS Wedge)
-PING Anser 54* (DG Spinner)
-PING Gorge Tour 60* (Ping CFS)
-PING Pickemup B

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"-9* Callaway Rogue Sub Zero(Even Flow Blue 65s)

-19* Titleist 816 H1(Speeder 8.8s)

-4-GW Mizuno JPX EZ Forged(Nippon 1150GH R)

Nice set the answer of course is doing to depend on your gaps?

At 100 SS to me 1st thing that stands out is that 19º hybrid.

The vast majority of 100 swingers

do best with something like

in their woods

"-9* Callaway Rogue Sub Zero(Even Flow Blue 65s)

-19* Titleist 816 H1(Speeder 8.8s)

-4-GW Mizuno JPX EZ Forged(Nippon 1150GH R)

Nice set the answer of course is doing to depend on your gaps?

At 100 SS to me 1st thing that stands out is that 19º hybrid.

The vast majority of 100 swingers

do best with something like

in their woods

Thank you for that. For what it’s worth the hybrid is cranked down a degree to 18*. It’s a terrific club that has grown on me but, off the deck, I probably can carry it around 200.

-PING Pickemup B

I still use an 815 alpha Cally 16 degree set to 17 degrees. One inch short of standard and hotmelted. Very Sweet.

Not the longest 4/5 ever made but very accurate and good from light rough. Nice off the tee on short par 4’s occasionally also.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Callaway-Big-Bertha-Alpha-815-Fairway-16-4-Wood-w-Diamana-S-Plus-Limited-Stiff-/333054813437

In a 5 wood, still very difficult to best a V steel with appropriate shaft for your stated needs in a non-adjustable.

In adjustable, the various Cobra clubs with baffler rail system would be great place to start, f6 baffler is phenomenal out of rough.

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

In a 5 wood, still very difficult to best a V steel with appropriate shaft for your stated needs in a non-adjustable.

In adjustable, the various Cobra clubs with baffler rail system would be great place to start, f6 baffler is phenomenal out of rough.

I saw a V-Steel with a Fujikura Tour Platform (very underrated shaft) on ebay last month and I was slow to the draw and someone snagged it.... Still regret not just jumping on that one... I'll get one at some point, even if it doesn't end up in the bag, I feel like everyone owns one anyways. lol

Yeah I USED to get 235+ out of my 4wood not so much any more.

I would strongly encourage you to find a range of 18-22º fairway woods and give those a try. I am personally of the belief that slightly shorter shafts .5"-1.5" are easier to hit but the main thing is just look at a 5-7 wood. If you hate 7 woods put some lead tape on the bottom and or change the head cover.

You're looking for a club to do a job. If it makes it easier for your ego many many tour pros opt to use a 5 wood at AN and I think TW is carrying a 2nd fairway wood now. Nobody who matters will care.

There are plenty that will fit the bill. I might add that people seem to like slightly heavier shafts in their fairway woods than their driver so again that would be a good place to start.

Since you like them already I'd look at Callaway Mizzy and Titleist. I'd vote for Tour edge

but thats just me.

I would very strongly encourage you to check the specs more so than the club names for example the tolerances and strong lofts could get you something that would be ill suited.

Budget wise you could do anything you want the world is your oyster, you can satisfy this gap perfectly from $40 and up. Depending on what you want.

I'd say this is a perfect place to go read one of those all time 3 wood or fairway wood threads and pick some that sound cool to you and hunt those.

Example Stensons's Diablo is available from Callaway pre owned . com for $70

Mind you all of the "work" comes in testing, tweaking shaft fit etc all. But it's not unmanageable you'll know when you like it. So you can figure it out, everything else in your bag is really nice. Just gotta fill this one gap.

Cheers!

Yeah I USED to get 235+ out of my 4wood not so much any more.

I would strongly encourage you to find a range of 18-22º fairway woods and give those a try. I am personally of the belief that slightly shorter shafts .5"-1.5" are easier to hit but the main thing is just look at a 5-7 wood. If you hate 7 woods put some lead tape on the bottom and or change the head cover.

You're looking for a club to do a job. If it makes it easier for your ego many many tour pros opt to use a 5 wood at AN and I think TW is carrying a 2nd fairway wood now. Nobody who matters will care.

There are plenty that will fit the bill. I might add that people seem to like slightly heavier shafts in their fairway woods than their driver so again that would be a good place to start.

Since you like them already I'd look at Callaway Mizzy and Titleist. I'd vote for Tour edge

but thats just me.

I would very strongly encourage you to check the specs more so than the club names for example the tolerances and strong lofts could get you something that would be ill suited.

Budget wise you could do anything you want the world is your oyster, you can satisfy this gap perfectly from $40 and up. Depending on what you want.

I'd say this is a perfect place to go read one of those all time 3 wood or fairway wood threads and pick some that sound cool to you and hunt those.

Example Stensons's Diablo is available from Callaway pre owned . com for $70

Mind you all of the "work" comes in testing, tweaking shaft fit etc all. But it's not unmanageable you'll know when you like it. So you can figure it out, everything else in your bag is really nice. Just gotta fill this one gap.

Cheers!

Thoughtful response, much appreciated. I am in my 50’s now so my Ego is in check. Shoot, those “Regular” shafts in my irons was one of the best moves I ever made.

-PING Pickemup B

Cobra F6 Baffler

The hunt is over.

Titliest TS2 10 deg

Taylormade M5 Titanium 3w set to 16.5
Callaway Epic Flash 5w set to 20
Mizuno HMB 4 iron
Taylormade P790 Irons (5-PW) with Project X shafts
Vokey SM7 50 in F grind

Vokey SM9 54 in S grind
Callaway PM grind 58
Odyssey White Hot OG #7

I'll throw out 2 random options:

If you want *stupid* easy to elevate, take a look at some of what was out there in the late 2000s. Clubs like the '07 Burner were popular and quite user-friendly. I have a 190 Nike SQ II that might literally be the easiest-to-hit golf club I've ever come across.

Clubs of that era spun a bit so they weren't as long but they were incredibly friendly. Don't underestimate what you can do with a club when you're confident you can launch it, either! I always loved my SQ II because it had a surprisingly deep face which meant you could trap it and hit it like an iron when you needed to.

Now, if you want compact, workable and still relatively easy to hit, don't overlook the old Nike VR Ltd Ed. models that hit the market a few years later. Those aren't out-dated at all, either. Patrick Reed won last year's Masters with the Ltd. Ed. 3w in the bag.

Those were modeled after what the tour guys had and they implemented one of the earlier channel designs, as well. The 5w heads were small-ish. They were sleek in setup and solid in feel.

I would absolutely still have my Ltd 5w in the bag if the freakin' Diamana BlueBoard wouldn't have mysteriously snapped at the hosel. Craziest thing. I was hitting shots on the range and as I went to position another ball into place in front of me the dang head fell off. I swear to god.

TSR3 (9o) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2+ (14.5o 3w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

TSR2 (21o 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-Gw) (Nippon Modus3)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS

I like my Titleist 917 F2 from all areas (tee, fairway and rough). The Ping G400 was also a good performer, but I hated the way it looked behind the ball. The Callaway Steelhead XR is also a good option, but I elected not to go that avenue myself as the 5 wood has a slightly closed (to my eyes anyway) appearance at address.

Titleist TS4 8.5* Diamana D+ LTD 70 X
Titleist 917F2 18* (turned down to 17.25*) Diamana S+ 80X
4 - 718 Titleist AP3 Project X 6.0
4-P 718 Titleist AP2 Project X 6.0
White Satin Mizuno MP T7 51-08 Modus 3 105X
Blue Ion Mizuno MP T7 55-09 Modus 3 105X Soft Stepped
Blue Ion Mizuno MP T7 59-09 Modus 3 105X Soft Stepped
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback 1

i use a 4 wood. but last year snagged a TEE e8 beta. it performed nicely from the deck and rough. face is super hot, but i have had no issues holding greens. everyone i know who has plays TEE fairways loves them. i paid like $60 for a used one in mint condition off the bay.

XR16 Pro 9* - Rogue Silver 60S 

TS2  17.25* - Tensi AV Blue 65S

Apex 4 Hybrid 23* - Accra FX 200 M4

G400 4 Iron - KBS Tour 120S

i200 5-UW - KBS Tour 120S

Glide 2.0 Stealth 54SS & 58ES - KBS Tour 105S

Sigma 2 Tyne Stealth - Stealth Shaft

Winter here in the Midwest so golf is non existent. I am very happy with my WITB but I am thinking of getting a 5 wood. The Rogue SubZero 3 wood is an absolute cannon off the tee but my confidence is nil off the deck. I am looking for something fairly compact that elevates well off the deck AND, more importantly, will go through the rough easily. My SS with driver is around 100. I plan to try out the SubZero 5 wood but am also pondering something that loft can be adjusted on. Oh, and I am not looking at the latest lines, as I have SubZero interest in dropping $300 for a 5 wood. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Titleist 913 used for like 50 bucks. best club in my bag

SIM 9 Degree set to 10.5 - AD IZ 6TX w/ TP adaptor - plays 44.5"

SIM MAX Ventus Blue 6S - std length

SIM Max 19 Hybrid HZRDUS Smoke 6.0

Titleist U510 4I - HZRDUS Smoke 6.0

Titleist 620CB 5I-9I - Modus 120X pured/hard stepped, 1 flat

Titleist 620MB PW & Vokey SM8 Raw 50.08F bent 1 weak, 2 flat - X100

Vokey SM8 Raw 54.10S bent 1 weak, 2 flat - S400

Vokey SM8 WW Raw 60 Low K bent 2 flat - S400

Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Laguna Two - 36" 

ProV1x - #41

Thanks.

Cheap Callaway options; X Hot Pro or X2 Hot Pro in 19*. Both have the faces made with thinner / stronger steel. Heads are fairly compact but can't be adjusted.

I also think the higher lofted fairway will be much easier to hit. In general, I'd think 100 mph is fairly boarderline for 13* fairway or 18* hybrid off the deck.

Thanks.

Cheap Callaway options; X Hot Pro or X2 Hot Pro in 19*. Both have the faces made with thinner / stronger steel. Heads are fairly compact but can't be adjusted.

I also think the higher lofted fairway will be much easier to hit. In general, I'd think 100 mph is fairly boarderline for 13* fairway or 18* hybrid off the deck.

Appreciated. The 3 wood is actually 15 degrees and used primarily off the tee, where it’s terrific. The hybrid is great on long par 3’s and off tee on short par 4’s.

-PING Pickemup B

I saw a V-Steel with a Fujikura Tour Platform (very underrated shaft) on ebay last month and I was slow to the draw and someone snagged it.... Still regret not just jumping on that one... I'll get one at some point, even if it doesn't end up in the bag, I feel like everyone owns one anyways. lol

Grab one. I consider it the best looking and "profile" 5 wood in the "modern era".....and of course the performance is an all time great.

If you can't find one with the paint in good condition, then consider having one bead blasted down to the raw steel. I've done this with a few heads recently and it creates an awesome raw matte 'satin' light grey color. Industrial

My answer to 5-wood threads is always the same. The Adams Tight Lies 2 from 2014 checks all your boxes. I haven't demoed a 5-wood in five years and got multiple backups for $40 apiece (new in plastic).

WITB

TaylorMade M5 (10.5) Graphite Design Tour AD GP 6 S

Callaway Rogue ST MAX (15) Graphite Design Tour AD F-75 S

Ping G425 (19) Mitsubishi TENSEI CK Pro Orange Hybrid 80 S

Mizuno MP-53 (4-PW, 22-46) Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 S

Titleist Vokey SM9 (50.12 F, 54.10 S @ 55, 60.10 S) Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 S

Edel McKenzie (34)

Thanks.

Well, I'm in similar Midwest winter doldrums myself, so I feel your pain. Regarding the Rogue SZ 5w, I used that all last year as my first fairway wood. Great club, great distance, easier to elevate for me than the 3w, obviously, which tends to be an issue for me as I hit a lower ball. In the end I moved it out as I felt less comfortable off the tee with it and the slightly lower profile face, I like a taller face for fairways if possible for the tee. I've looked at a bunch of other options this winter for that spot, a mix of 3, 4 and 5 woods, old and new. Thus far I like the Adams XTD TI 5w, Honma 737FWC 5w and the Tour Edge EX10 beta 4w. I like the look and feel of the Honma and Tour Edge best, but the adjustable factor of the Adams is nice. Tour Edge sole is great for getting through the rough btw.

Baffler is a cool club if it works for you. For me it's always been an odd fit that doesn't work. It plays to a shorter length than a normal wood, and when lofted up to 5w loft it went left a lot on me. If it suits you though it could be a great weapon as it does everything else very well.

Cobra F6 Baffler

The hunt is over.

the head onthis 5w is amazing. Perfect size, color and texture. and you can get it cheap these days. The search is over.

I just got one myself to use as a 4 wood off the tee and the deck. Turned down to 16.5*, it's still really easy to hit off the deck. I haven't taken it on the course yet, but I'll be giving it a go this weekend. One selling point is the fact that if I don't like it as a 4 wood, I can turn it up to 18.5*, and use it as a 5 wood. I have it paired with a Nunchuk at 42", and really like how the club feels. No issues feeling the head at all.

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17.25* (Motore F1 7s); 21* Callaway UW (Attas T2 8S); Adams Super 9031 23* (Recoil Prototype Utility 110 F4)
Irons: 5-PW Srixon ZX7 MKII (KBS 120 $ Taper)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)