2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

All Things Ohio Golf

hazebronso

Just a friendly reminder that the Cincinnati Golf Show is next weekend 1/18 - 1/20. Some of the local golf stores including Golf Exchange has 1/2 price tix for anyone looking for them. PS - I don't have any affiliation with the show or GE, just a golf fan.

I’ll be there Saturday.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

• 2 weeks later...

MOG doing demo days next month?

Yes, Feb 9, 16, 23. 11a-3p. Im not sure of the reps that will be there - but if like in years past, all will be represented. Weather this Sat looks cold so doubt I am going. Never know though...

Edit:

Got MoG email, here are the OEMs represented:

Manufacturer's On-Site:

Callaway

Cobra

Mizuno

Ping

Srixon/Cleveland

TaylorMade

Titleist

Wilson

Aerojet 10.5, turned to 9.5*-  Ventus Blue TR 6x
Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
T300 4i (19*) - UST Recoil 95 F4
Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
Odyssey OTR putter
TP5x

Anyone in NE Ohio that could recommend a great instructor? Looking to take a few lessons early spring need some help with irons and short game specifically. Not looking for indoor or hitting off a mat. I never hit the ball well off of a mat for some reason so looking for someone who will teach on a grass range with a launch monitor. Any info is appreciated, thanks

Anyone in NE Ohio that could recommend a great instructor? Looking to take a few lessons early spring need some help with irons and short game specifically. Not looking for indoor or hitting off a mat. I never hit the ball well off of a mat for some reason so looking for someone who will teach on a grass range with a launch monitor. Any info is appreciated, thanks

Trent Maxwell at Windmill Lakes Fitting Center. He’s very good and has all the toys. BB

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

Trent Maxwell at Windmill Lakes Fitting Center. He’s very good and has all the toys. BB

I’ll have to stop there and have a chat with him next time I’m out that way. Really like that course, play there a few times a year. The Tent sale is always an expensive weekend for me!

Trent Maxwell at Windmill Lakes Fitting Center. He's very good and has all the toys. BB

Have you, or anyone else for that matter, had a fitting experience at Windmill Lakes? I'm planning on getting a full bag fitting/upgrade within the next month and just wanted to know how it went over there. I called the pro shop to ask some questions and the person who does the fittings, Justin Long, seemed very nice. All I could find on their website was they carried all the big named brands and used Trackman 4.

• 1 month later...

Bump as it has been a month since anyone posted here! Season is about to get underway, hopefully I can actually play this year so long as the weather is decent.

I'm thinking of joining a GC for the first time as a junior member. I'm single, soon to be 29 and would like a place to consistently practice or play without driving too far after work. Not interested really in pricey food minimums, pool/tennis, etc. I think the only club that fits that bill to a tee is probably Stonelick, but at nearly 30-40 minutes each way, that's a hard sell for convenience sake. I'd rather just pay to play there once a month like I tried to do last season, only with weather I barely got out to play at all.

I'm in Kennedy Heights, closer to Oakley. Looks like the closest option is Losantiville CC, but I haven't heard great things about that course or practice facility, and they carry a few minimums. Maketewah or Hyde Park are not far either, but certainly not a small investment, considering they don't post rates I'll assume "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" status. Of course, Kenwood is close - but likely half my pay to get my foot in the door, so I'll opt to forget it even exists.

Is there anything else "affordable" around here? I know most public courses very well in the area, and am pretty burnt out on most of them, but I have only played two private clubs ever since living here. They were out of my price range and out of the way - O'bannon and Four Bridges.

The thread lives. Definitely ready to start playing but my group of friends here in Cincinnati really won't head out until its 50 and sunny so they weren't interested in playing this Sunday just yet. I played a few weeks back in Orlando and it was upper 70s..what a nice break that was. Though my game was super rusty after not swinging the sticks for a few months it was still nice to just get out in nice weather.

Bump as it has been a month since anyone posted here! Season is about to get underway, hopefully I can actually play this year so long as the weather is decent.

I'm thinking of joining a GC for the first time as a junior member. I'm single, soon to be 29 and would like a place to consistently practice or play without driving too far after work. Not interested really in pricey food minimums, pool/tennis, etc. I think the only club that fits that bill to a tee is probably Stonelick, but at nearly 30-40 minutes each way, that's a hard sell for convenience sake. I'd rather just pay to play there once a month like I tried to do last season, only with weather I barely got out to play at all.

I'm in Kennedy Heights, closer to Oakley. Looks like the closest option is Losantiville CC, but I haven't heard great things about that course or practice facility, and they carry a few minimums. Maketewah or Hyde Park are not far either, but certainly not a small investment, considering they don't post rates I'll assume "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" status. Of course, Kenwood is close - but likely half my pay to get my foot in the door, so I'll opt to forget it even exists.

Is there anything else "affordable" around here? I know most public courses very well in the area, and am pretty burnt out on most of them, but I have only played two private clubs ever since living here. They were out of my price range and out of the way - O'bannon and Four Bridges.

Losantiville is gonna be your only option (at your location and pricepoint) I'm afraid. it's not a bad course at all by the way... Maketewah is great with great facilities. Don't be afraid to reach out and ask, I did and they all are more than accommodating. Ivy Hills is another option but good luck walking that course. Coldstream is underrated but might be expensive. Hyde Park and Cincinnati Country Club might be options if you know the right people. Kenwood is great with 36 holes but tbh some members are way too snooty for me. Clovernook or Western Hills CC aren't bad options either, I like the latter better. I'm not sure of the junior membership options at a lot of these clubs. Maketewah's last time I checked was steep but not egregious.

Taylormade M2 10.5° [color=#0000ff]Graphite Design AD-BB 7x[/color]
Titleist 913 FD 15° [color=#a9a9a9]Diamana 'Ahina 70x[/color]
Titleist 716 AP2 3 iron [color=#a9a9a9]Accra 110i[/color]
Titleist 716 MB 4-PW [color=#0000ff]Project X 6.0[/color]
Vokey [color=#000000]Jet Black [/color]SM7 52° 56° 60° [color=#000000]S400 Tour Issue Black Onyx[/color]
Scotty Cameron Newport [color=#daa520]Teryllium[/color] Sole Stamp

Losantiville is gonna be your only option (at your location and pricepoint) I'm afraid. it's not a bad course at all by the way... Maketewah is great with great facilities. Don't be afraid to reach out and ask, I did and they all are more than accommodating. Ivy Hills is another option but good luck walking that course. Coldstream is underrated but might be expensive. Hyde Park and Cincinnati Country Club might be options if you know the right people. Kenwood is great with 36 holes but tbh some members are way too snooty for me. Clovernook or Western Hills CC aren't bad options either, I like the latter better. I'm not sure of the junior membership options at a lot of these clubs. Maketewah's last time I checked was steep but not egregious.

I think I'll look at Losantiville and if it looks like a good deal, at least play a comped round as a prospect.

I think I'll look at Losantiville and if it looks like a good deal, at least play a comped round as a prospect.

You have some other options in Newtown and Anderson with Stillmeadow CC and Ivy Hills.

You have some other options in Newtown and Anderson with Stillmeadow CC and Ivy Hills.

It can't hurt. A few of my buddies are members there. For the price its a helluva deal. I haven't played there in some time, but when I did play it was in good shape. Did Stillmeadow CC used to be called Royal Oak?

It can't hurt. A few of my buddies are members there. For the price its a helluva deal. I haven't played there in some time, but when I did play it was in good shape. Did Stillmeadow CC used to be called Royal Oak?

Vokey [color=#000000]Jet Black [/color]SM7 52° 56° 60° [color=#000000]S400 Tour Issue Black Onyx[/color]

Have a Putter fitting at MOG coming up soon, what should I expect? I've never had one before.

Have a Putter fitting at MOG coming up soon, what should I expect? I've never had one before.

Typically, they will start you out with a Directed Force putter to check for length and lie. From there a big emphasis is put on what style of putter (neck and blade vs mallet) you aim the best.

From there you select those types of putters and begin rolling putts to look at the ball data, change lofts if needed, and pick 2-3 you like the best. If weather allows you then go out on the putting green and put the putters through a "real world" test for lag/feel and short range makes.

It is a good process and can teach you a lot about your individual putting tendencies.

A major revelation that came from my fitting was how off my aim was. I thought that having a putter with a large line on it (Ping Vault Bergen) and putting a line on the ball would be the best way for me to line up putts. I left there realizing that I am significantly better with a putter having zero alignment aids and by not using any alignment on the ball.

Taylormade M3 w/ Tensei CK White-70X
Taylormade SIM 5 wood w/ HZRDUS Smoke Black-80X
Sub 70 699u Pro 2 iron 17* w/ HZRDUS Smoke Black-90X
Mizuno MMC 4-6 w/ Dynamic Gold- X100

Mizuno MP20 7-PW w/ Dynamic Gold-X100
Mizuno MP T20 50*, 54*, 58* w/ Dynamic Gold S-400 
Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

Typically, they will start you out with a Directed Force putter to check for length and lie. From there a big emphasis is put on what style of putter (neck and blade vs mallet) you aim the best.

From there you select those types of putters and begin rolling putts to look at the ball data, change lofts if needed, and pick 2-3 you like the best. If weather allows you then go out on the putting green and put the putters through a "real world" test for lag/feel and short range makes.

It is a good process and can teach you a lot about your individual putting tendencies.

A major revelation that came from my fitting was how off my aim was. I thought that having a putter with a large line on it (Ping Vault Bergen) and putting a line on the ball would be the best way for me to line up putts. I left there realizing that I am significantly better with a putter having zero alignment aids and by not using any alignment on the ball.

Awesome, I was hoping it would be super comprehensive, and not just a basic fitting like one from GG. Interesting they start out with a DF putter as a baseline. I'm surprised they don't just have you use your own putter. Is the fitting how you ended up with your arm lock putter? I'm a pretty mental putter when it comes to set up, I'll just have to stick with the set up that feels comfortable I guess. I'm doing this in an effort to find some consistency.

@BogeyPutt34 Windmill golf center has some of the best fitters and instructors around. They are all very qualified with trackman and have heard fantastic things about Trent Maxwell.

Ping Tour Issue G400 LST 8.5* Driver Atmos Black Tour Spec 7x Ping Tour Issue G400 14* Fairway Atmos Black Tour Spec 8x Ping Tour Issue i20 17* Hybrid VTS Black 85x Ping s55 4-pw Dynamic Gold Tour Issue AMT x100 Vokey sm6 Jet Black 50*, 54*, 58* Dynamic Gold Tour Issue s400 Black Onyx Scotty Cameron Select Golo 34" Superstroke mid-slim 2.0

> @stowbulldogs25 said:

> @BogeyPutt34 Windmill golf center has some of the best fitters and instructors around. They are all very qualified with trackman and have heard fantastic things about Trent Maxwell.

I ended up taking a lesson at windmill golf center with Randy Dietz. Super nice guy, very informative, gave good feedback with video. The grass range still isn’t open which was a bummer for me because I hate hitting off mats. My typical miss is fat so mats don’t really give me the accurate feedback I’m looking for. I told him I wanted to work on my irons, specifically strike and dispersion and he had other plans once he saw my swing. We ultimately worked on backswing length, rotation and path, and it helped out immensely but an hour didn’t seem long enough.

• 3 weeks later...

> @Frohlich said:

> I was just thinking the same thing LOL. Thread is dead. We should get an easter round going at Walden Ponds :)

Hey there. Im out of town this weekend - playing up in Celina I think. Weather Saturday looks iffy though. Im subbing in a league tomorrow at Miami Whitewater, havent played there in years. Gonna take my birthday off again, May24, if anyone is interested.

Odyssey OTR putter
TP5x

> @Frohlich said:

> I was just thinking the same thing LOL. Thread is dead. We should get an easter round going at Walden Ponds :)

I would, but I'm already playing Friday and Saturday with friends, weather doesn't look good, would only be my 2nd and 3rd time out, I didn't join a GC this year as a result of just not playing enough again. Easter Sunday isn't gonna work for me.

Thread isn't moving at all, probably due to this site change.

> @Frohlich said:

> Yeah, lets try and get out again for your birthday (like last year). I will block it off my work calendar and as it gets closer, lets coordinate.

Sounds good my friend.

• Like 1

Odyssey OTR putter
TP5x

> @Frohlich said:

> BTW, we just went under contract on a house 5 minutes from Stonelick. Moving in late summer. Hopefully that means more golf there in the coming years :)

Nice! Congrats!

Odyssey OTR putter
TP5x

• 3 weeks later...