Is the Pro V1 in trouble?

Danny Choo

BTW, the ball count at Pebble was 74% using Titleist. Just saying.

I believe at WM it was 72% and nearest competitor 12%

Interesting stats but the OP was only citing "wins" by brand as a point for the ProV1 to be potentially in troube. This is different from ball count on tour (which Titleist clearly dominates). I think the ball count on tour clearly shows there is no issue with the ProV1 tour usage. I'd be curious to see how the consumer market looks but I'd be willing to be the ProV1 still dominates and could be taking some market share back with the yellow ball next month.

Another way to look at what the OP is saying, is that more players have used Titleist to win than any other ball at this point. Meaning 4 different players have used Titleist while only 3 different players have used Callaway and TaylorMade. That's about as meaningless as what the OP is trying to say.

BTW, the ball count at Pebble was 74% using Titleist. Just saying.

I believe at WM it was 72% and nearest competitor 12%

Interesting stats but the OP was only citing "wins" by brand as a point for the ProV1 to be potentially in troube. This is different from ball count on tour (which Titleist clearly dominates). I think the ball count on tour clearly shows there is no issue with the ProV1 tour usage. I'd be curious to see how the consumer market looks but I'd be willing to be the ProV1 still dominates and could be taking some market share back with the yellow ball next month.

Another way to look at what the OP is saying, is that more players have used Titleist to win than any other ball at this point. Meaning 4 different players have used Titleist while only 3 different players have used Callaway and TaylorMade. That's about as meaningless as what the OP is trying to say.

Exactly :)

The ProV1 is, and for the near future will be, the benchmark against which all other premium balls will be measured by. Year after year, tweak after tweak, it always delivers consistent performance that golfers can reliably turn to and know they're getting a quality product. For nearly 20 years it has held its own against the latest and greatest that the competition has put out, and it has remained on top while the others fade off and become discontinued. That said, as the benchmark it's always "in trouble" as the competition is always out to find a way to catch up. Taylor Made IMO has made huge gains with the TP5 ball the last year or two. If they can keep that branding the same (and not change the name every 3 years, ie TP Red, Penta, Lethal, etc.) I think they can make some serious inroads into ProV1s market.

I also think the introduction of the AVX showed that Titleist has realized 2 things, 1 that there is a market for that style of ball and it's growing, and 2 that the market for their premium offering in the ProV1 is becoming threatened, and the competition is getting better. There may come a day where the ProV isn't the top dog, but it's either going to be a long time coming or it's going to take some unforeseen breakthrough in tech that we haven't realized yet, similar to when the ProV first came along.

If the tour was balanced I believe we would see much more players winning with different balls. Bridgestone seemed to be a ball that would dominate tour if more players played it. I would like to see Snell sponsor a few players and see how it performs on tour. The biggest mistake other manufacturers make is the price point is to close to Titliest that is why many people resort back to PRO V1.

The title of the post is nothing but trolling.... If the OP knew ANYTHING about what is happening with Titleist, he would be aware that in 2018 the mix in the Pro V Family (that would be the Pro V1 and the Pro V1x) shifted distinctly in the Pro v1 direction, with the PV1 over taking the PV1x as the most played ball on tour. I guess his “insiders†dnk that bit of info. I have no idea what makes people post “facts†that exist only in between their ears...

[list]
[*][size=4][b][color=#0000ff]Ping G410 LST, Mitsubishi Tensei Orange Pro [/color][/b][/size]
[*][size=4][color=#008000][b]Ping G410 3 wood, Mitsubishi Diamana BF[/b][/color][/size]
[*][size=4][color=#008000][b]Ping G410 3 hybrid, Mitsubishi Tensei Blue Pro[/b][/color][/size]
[*][size=4][color=#008000][b]Ping G410 4 hybrid, Evenflow Black[/b][/color][/size]
[*][size=4][b]Titleist T200 5-9 KBS Tour Flt [/b][/size]
[*][size=4][b][color=#daa520]Callaway MD5 45,49,54,58/[/color]
[*][color=#b22222][b][size=4]TP Mills Trad II Hand Forged [/size][/b][/color]
[/list]

The title of the post is nothing but trolling.... If the OP knew ANYTHING about what is happening with Titleist, he would be aware that in 2018 the mix in the Pro V Family (that would be the Pro V1 and the Pro V1x) shifted distinctly in the Pro v1 direction, with the PV1 over taking the PV1x as the most played ball on tour. I guess his “insiders†dnk that bit of info. I have no idea what makes people post “facts†that exist only in between their ears...

Maybe a paid troll :-)

Quite evident Titliest has a grip on ball market and the amount of players endorsements the recoup is pass onto consumers. Competition is good for business and I would like to see other manufacturers make a play in signing more players on tour to ball contracts and see the results at the end of the season. With 70% plus playing Pro V1, if it was split this way:

Titliest 25%

Callaway 25%

Taylormade 20%

Srixon 10%

Bridgestone 20%

The question is this, if the tour was balanced this way, how many wins would Titliest have at the end of the season?

Titleist has the best logo! Are they in trouble, probably not but there is sure a lot of competition out there now making excellent products. Enough where I don't play the pro-v anymore.

Taylormade Sim 2 9.0 Project X Hzrdus Blue 60G | Mizuno JPX 919 Forged on KBS T120 | Cobra FlyZ 3W | Cobra FlyZ 5h | Bettinardi Studio Stock 2 Olympic Bronze | Vice Pro |

If the tour was balanced I believe we would see much more players winning with different balls. Bridgestone seemed to be a ball that would dominate tour if more players played it. I would like to see Snell sponsor a few players and see how it performs on tour. The biggest mistake other manufacturers make is the price point is to close to Titliest that is why many people resort back to PRO V1.

What are you basing this Brdgestone opinion. On? If Bridgestone was such a desired ball, you'd see more players move towards the ball.

I don't think the ProV1 is in trouble or will be anytime soon. I do think other companies are catching up in terms of technology but it's hardly going to make a dent in the ProV1 numbers played.

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

Anyone seen head-to-head Snell MTB Black vs ProV1 or MTB Red vs ProV1x? I'd put money on Snell.

Here you go:

https://Not allowed because of spam.com/titleist-pro-v1-vs-snell-mtb-black/

DRIVER -     PXG Gen 4 0811X - 8* | 🔥PROXIMA 5S🔥
2 WD -         PXG Gen 4  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

5 / 7 WD-    PXG Gen 5 | Project X Riptide CB 4.0 40g Ladies 

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT XL
PUTTER -   LAB DF 3.0 
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

I heard from inside Titleist, they are switching the characteristics so the ProV1 will be the primary choice, the Pro V will go and the AVX will stay. There is evidence that they are doing this.

The ProV1x and AVX are on completely different ends of the spectrum from each other so I don't see this happening

I agree, but I could see Titleist keeping the flagship ProV1 largely unchanged, and then combining the ProV1X and AVX into a single ball between the two current offerings. I think this was kind of the original intent of the ProV1X anyway so it makes sense to me.

Cobra F9 Atmos Black 7X
Titleist 917 F2 15 Speeder 757X
Titleist 816 H2 19 Diamana S+ 90X
Ben Hogan Ft Worth HI 22 TIX100 AMT SS1X
Ben Hogan FW15 26-46 TIX100 AMT SS1X
TM Hi Toe 50, 54 (55), 58 (60) X100 SS2X
Scotty Cameron

I heard from inside Titleist, they are switching the characteristics so the ProV1 will be the primary choice, the Pro V will go and the AVX will stay. There is evidence that they are doing this.

The ProV1x and AVX are on completely different ends of the spectrum from each other so I don't see this happening

I agree, but I could see Titleist keeping the flagship ProV1 largely unchanged, and then combining the ProV1X and AVX into a single ball between the two current offerings. I think this was kind of the original intent of the ProV1X anyway so it makes sense to me.

They have already combined them. It’s called the ProV1. AVX and ProV1x are exact opposites. AVX is low launch/spin. ProV1x is high launch/spin.

I love the ProV1 - let everyone pay $45+ dozen, I keep finding them at my club and other courses all the time. Have a five-gallon bucket of them in the garage (friend of mine's dad is a rules official and he has a plastic garbage can full in his garage). As long as Titleist keeps dishing them out to Tour players, the price will be up there even though there are plenty of comparable balls available for much less. It's all about the marketing, and there are a lot of people out there that really have little to no knowledge of balls, but they just buy Titleist since it's all they've really heard.

51228683_mizunoshadow.jpg.331dc94966b1c93058cfa910903c6db8.jpg

Interesting ways both Titleist and the competition are working ball market angles.

Meaning this:

Titleist wants to win the ball count war, and they do by miles.

TaylorMade and Callaway want more tour wins, so they have decided to go after the top 15-20 players in the world.

So...

When you look at the number of wins, the counts are close.

However, when you look at total counts in play Titleist crushes the others.

My guess is all three companies spend similar money on pros playing their ball. But TaylorMade and Callaway write fewer checks with bigger amounts. As where Titleist writes lots of checks with fewer zeros.

Just my two cents....

PING G430 Max 10K Driver 8º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 5

PING G430 Max 3 Wood 14º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 6

Titleist TSr2 5 Wood 18º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 7

Titleist TSr2 7 Wood 21º ~ GD Tour AD-XC 8

Srixon ZX4 Mk II Irons 5–7 ~ Project X IO 6.0

Srixon ZX5 Mk II Irons 8–P ~ Project X IO 6.0

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Odyssey  Tri-Hot 5K Three ~ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

Interesting ways both Titleist and the competition are working ball market angles.

Meaning this:

Titleist wants to win the ball count war, and they do by miles.

TaylorMade and Callaway want more tour wins, so they have decided to go after the top 15-20 players in the world.

So...

When you look at the number of wins, the counts are close.

However, when you look at total counts in play Titleist crushes the others.

My guess is all three companies spend similar money on pros playing their ball. But TaylorMade and Callaway write fewer checks with bigger amounts. As where Titleist writes lots of checks with fewer zeros.

Just my two cents....

Is Callaway really going after the top 15-20? They only have 3 players in the top 20 in Schauffele, Phil and leishman.

They don’t have a lot of staff playing the ball and they have gone more for the driver and putter count on tour. As far as I know they haven’t paid anyone to play only their ball like titleist, Srixon and now TM are doing.

ProV1 will have dominant market share for sure but is it still the best ball? Lots of nice choices these days for peeps willing to test the waters. Now if your idea of buying balls is walking into the Club Pro shop and putting them on the tab ProV’s will get the nod. For me, I’m rolling 6dz Snell Reds @ $165 beans and saving my money for the bets!

You wouldn't need money for bets if you played a ball that helped you actually WIN the bets. :)

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Genesis Open 2019

Titliest Pro V1-96

Competitors-22

Winner-SRIXON

UPDATED:

Safeway open- Kevin Tway Pro V1

Cimb classic- Mark leishmania Chrome soft

CJ cup-Brooks Koepka Pro V1

Wgc-hsbc championship- Xander Schauffele Chrome soft

Sanderson farms- Cameron Champ Srixon Z star

Shriners- Bryson Dechambeau Bridgestone BX

OHL classic- Matt Kuchar Bridgestone BX

RSM classic- Charles Howell III Pro V1

Hero world challenge- John Rahm TP5

Tournament of champions- Xander Schauffele Chrome soft

Sony Open- Matt Kuchar bridgestone BX

Career builder challenge- A. Long Pro V1

Farmers insurance- Justin Rose Tp5

Phoenix open- Ricky FowlerTP5

Attached pebble beach- Phil Mickelson chrome soft

Genesis Open- J B Holmes Srixon Z Star.

Titliest-4

Callaway-4

Taylormade-3

Bridgestone-3

Srixon-2

Not many are Pro V1X winners.

I think the Titleist dynasty had run it's course, especially after the Costco's original 4 piece K Sig. at $20 per doz. That was an industry shaker !

I wonder if the player counts will drop if they do away with the lucrative bonus paid to the player staffs. Titleist seemed to pay their player staff the highest endorsement fee.

Is The Titleist still paying the tee off bonus of $5,000 ? Or the tee price had gone up or down nowadays ?

Not many are Pro V1X winners. I think the Titleist dynasty had run it's course, especially after the Costco's original 4 piece K Sig. at $20 per doz. That was an industry shaker ! I wonder if the player counts will drop if they do away with the lucrative bonus paid to the player staffs. Titleist seemed to pay their player staff the highest endorsement fee. Is The Titleist still paying the tee off bonus of $5,000 ? Or the tee price had gone up or down nowadays ?

Ksig although a good ball was nothing more than viral hype and so hard to get I have only seen them once in the store and have only found one on the course (and I play 50+ rounds a year). This is no different than in years past when some cheaper price ball goes viral. No different than the Preciept Lady, no different than the MG, etc.. Ksig will sell but if they tried to compete with the big dogs and sell in retail golf shops it would be a dud

Long as Titleist keeps with the overall ball count every week like they have been for over a decade they will be ok. Saying "Not many are ProV1x winners" is kind of silly. Hell most of the TP5 wins are TP5x and that does not mean the TP5 line as a whole is in trouble.

What's your point? Titleist is still dominating! It isn't close!

It means ball count means nothing in my books. Out of the top 10 in the world 3 players use Pro V 1. Titliest grip is slipping and players want to win on tour. More wins for other manufacturers will result in players making the switch. True fact is, more players trust Pro V1 but that does not equal wins. Season is young, let us see what happens.

Your sample size is highly flawed.

You should consider when the current generation ProV1 was put into play for a more complete win total. Comparing just the first 16 events of the season is rather incomplete. Also comparing wins is another flaw but hey... you are Danny Choo!!!! Lol

The Pro V1 will get hammered on tour this season. But if you paying a tee off bonus why not take the cash!