Jordan Speith worse drought is yet to come

Danny Choo

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

25YearOldJordan Speith's biggest problem was that he was successful in the most inopportune period in professional golf. The PGA Tour was DESPERATE for a new face, as everyone thought that Tiger was done, Phil was fading, DJ was on booger sugar, and McIlroy and Day didn't pique the interest of American golf fans. But here comes Jordan Speith, straight from Central Casting, ready to give hope to tournament hosts and sponsors throughout the industry. Dude got hot with the putter and made EVERYTHING for an insane period of time, even though his golf swing was akin to Charles Barkley's golf swing mixed with Bill Cartwright's free throw form.

The 25YearOldJordan Speith we see now is the "real him:" a good, but not great, player that can get hot for a spell but lacks the fundamentals to be as dominant as his earlier success may have indicated. He's crooked off the tee with an inconsistent putter. He's Luke Donald with worse hair but a better marketing team.

Hilarious to me the couch swing gurus who talk about how ugly his swing is. It’s much much better to look at and in practice than many many guys on tour. Plenty of pros would trade a couple digits for that wedge swing.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Hell man. That was a limited field event. What has he done in a full field event ? Lol

( did I get that right ? Isn't that the mantra of the huge fan / tough love crowd? )

The British is a limited field event? When did they make that change?

Sarcasm my friend. I know It doesn’t translate well. Referring to those who claim east lake is a limited field. Which I take to mean a field minus the best players.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

25YearOldJordan Speith's biggest problem was that he was successful in the most inopportune period in professional golf. The PGA Tour was DESPERATE for a new face, as everyone thought that Tiger was done, Phil was fading, DJ was on booger sugar, and McIlroy and Day didn't pique the interest of American golf fans. But here comes Jordan Speith, straight from Central Casting, ready to give hope to tournament hosts and sponsors throughout the industry. Dude got hot with the putter and made EVERYTHING for an insane period of time, even though his golf swing was akin to Charles Barkley's golf swing mixed with Bill Cartwright's free throw form.

The 25YearOldJordan Speith we see now is the "real him:" a good, but not great, player that can get hot for a spell but lacks the fundamentals to be as dominant as his earlier success may have indicated. He's crooked off the tee with an inconsistent putter. He's Luke Donald with worse hair but a better marketing team.

The Jordan you saw then was real - it wasn't luck, lol, and you don't understand his golf swing at all.

He's not playing at the same level, but every day he plays it's the "real him". Golf is still hard and there is no rational comparison to Luke Donald at all. He's a singular talent, long ways to go in his career yet.

S-P-I-E-T-H.

You're correct - his swing is more like Hooters mixed with Popeye's Louisiana Kitchen:

afp_546811264_77890514.jpg?w=1000&h=542

Chicken wing.

Ignorance is showing. Luke Donald ? I like Luke. But he wishes.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Hilarious to me the couch swing gurus who talk about how ugly his swing is. It's much much better to look at and in practice than many many guys on tour. Plenty of pros would trade a couple digits for that wedge swing.

I found photos of 25YearOldJordan Speith's most famous wedge swings:

520308960.jpg

Which yielded...

spieth_1920_masters16_d4_drop_12.jpg

I think that the pros are going to save their digits.

TaylorMade 2017 M1 440 8.5° Driver == Project X HZRDUS Black 65 6.5
TaylorMade 2017 M2 Tour 15° FW == Project X HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
Titleist 816H2 19° Hybrid == Veylix Rome 988 S+
Miura 1957 Small Blade 4-PW Irons == TT Project X LZ 6.5
Titleist Vokey SM6 50°, 54°, 58° Custom Wedges == TT Project X LZ 6.5
Titleist Scotty Cameron "Cameron & Crown" M2 Putter
Nike RZN Tour Black Golf Balls

Hilarious to me the couch swing gurus who talk about how ugly his swing is. It's much much better to look at and in practice than many many guys on tour. Plenty of pros would trade a couple digits for that wedge swing.

520308960.jpg

Which yielded...

Troll move is strong with this one

Whats your point ? is it pure hate ? or pure jealousy ? or ?

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

520308960.jpg

Which yielded...

This is where I really started to like this kid. Not for the dunking but for the way he played the rest of the way coming in AFTER what happened. 99.9% of the other guys would have folded right then and there but he fought to the bitter end.

MBA-

Here’s the story your missing. This is a pic most “ pretty swings” won’t ever get to take. Maybe not Rory , or Dustin etc. and don’t forget that he didn’t fold after those two shots you picture. He made birdies and almost ran Willet back down. Look at his masters record. If you can say “ ugly swing and lucky “ with a straight face. Welll. It’s borderline dishonest for a person advertising that much education.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Taylor says it best:

60590766.jpg

Titleist  TSi2 8.0 TPT 14.5 LKP LT LW 
Ping G400 14.5* TPT 15 LKP LT LW 

Ping i210 4-PW TT Elevate Tour X
Cleveland tour raw 52, 56, 60 DG x100
Byron Morgan- HG-DH89
Titleist PV1x
Jones Utility Trouper-Carry
Ogio Silencer Alphard E-wheels

I like watching him play. He will find his way back - he has time on his side.

Probably... but past success is not a sure indicator of future success.

Watson won 8 majors...but the last at age 33

Arnie won 7...the last at age 34

Seve won 5...the last at age 33

Tiger won 14...the last-so far-at age 32

So it does happen. But the best example of what could happen to YJS

Ralph Guldahl...won 16 times on tour but none after age 28. And 3 majors but none after age 26. So he was YRG before YJS in an era arguably easier to win in and his career is eerily similar to what Spieth's worst scenario could be. That is not to say Spieth is done but he could be.

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

MBA-

Here's the story your missing. This is a pic most " pretty swings" won't ever get to take. Maybe not Rory , or Dustin etc. and don't forget that he didn't fold after those two shots you picture. He made birdies and almost ran Willet back down. Look at his masters record. If you can say " ugly swing and lucky " with a straight face. Welll. It's borderline dishonest for a person advertising that much education.

Here's the thing - I'm not blinded by fan goggles. He peaked early and is clearly "regressing to the mean." </education>

His chicken wing swing looks like he's giving the Heimlich Maneuver to his overweight imaginary friend.

The bottom line is this: If he's not putting well, then he doesn't have any other tools to lean on when he needs to score well. All-time greats had strengths that stayed with them throughout their careers. Through our limited experience with 21YearOldJordan Speith to 25YearOldJordan Speith, he's shown a propensity to putt well for a spell but then disappear because his driving is questionable, his iron play is marginal, and he has a decent to great short game when he is on a putting streak. He doesn't have elite length off the tee like DJ and Rory, nor does he hit his irons as well as Jason Day, Justin Thomas, or even Brooks Koepka.

There's nothing wrong with that, per se. However, that doesn't make him one of these legendary all-time greats that PGATOUR.com, Rolex, John Deere, AT&T, and Under Armour would have us to believe.

In addition, you're free to like who you like, but that doesn't give you the license to question my honesty or advertised education.

I like watching him play. He will find his way back - he has time on his side.

Probably... but past success is not a sure indicator of future success.

Watson won 8 majors...but the last at age 33

Arnie won 7...the last at age 34

Seve won 5...the last at age 33

Tiger won 14...the last-so far-at age 32

So it does happen. But the best example of what could happen to YJS

Ralph Guldahl...won 16 times on tour but none after age 28. And 3 majors but none after age 26. So he was YRG before YJS in an era arguably easier to win in and his career is eerily similar to what Spieth's worst scenario could be. That is not to say Spieth is done but he could be.

He just needs to start contending again.

He stubbed his toe - a glitch - marital problems - whatever.

2018 needs to be forgotten.

He's got the goods to win a lot more.

Aside from that, he seems like a nice guy.

MBA-

Here's the story your missing. This is a pic most " pretty swings" won't ever get to take. Maybe not Rory , or Dustin etc. and don't forget that he didn't fold after those two shots you picture. He made birdies and almost ran Willet back down. Look at his masters record. If you can say " ugly swing and lucky " with a straight face. Welll. It's borderline dishonest for a person advertising that much education.

Here's the thing - I'm not blinded by fan goggles. He peaked early and is clearly "regressing to the mean." </education>

His chicken wing swing looks like he's giving the Heimlich Maneuver to his overweight imaginary friend.

The bottom line is this: If he's not putting well, then he doesn't have any other tools to lean on when he needs to score well. All-time greats had strengths that stayed with them throughout their careers. Through our limited experience with 21YearOldJordan Speith to 25YearOldJordan Speith, he's shown a propensity to putt well for a spell but then disappear because his driving is questionable, his iron play is marginal, and he has a decent to great short game when he is on a putting streak. He doesn't have elite length off the tee like DJ and Rory, nor does he hit his irons as well as Jason Day, Justin Thomas, or even Brooks Koepka.

There's nothing wrong with that, per se. However, that doesn't make him one of these legendary all-time greats that PGATOUR.com, Rolex, John Deere, AT&T, and Under Armour would have us to believe.

In addition, you're free to like who you like, but that doesn't give you the license to question my honesty or advertised education.

Sure it does. A person who’s as smart as you shouldn’t make blind projections based on the already over analyzed ( and cleared ) unorthodox swing he has. . Driver is what has plagued him recently. Not really putter at all. It isn’t a “ putt excellent win majors or no putt and wash dishes “ scenario . Then on top of that you use the masters as the example ? Call that whatever you like. But I call it opposite of truth. You either didn’t watch that masters or you watched it with YOUR goggles on. “ regressing to the mean “. Wow. So when he wins the pga what then ? The mean is the career grand slam ?

That’s all the pissing contest I’ll engage in. You hung yourself with the masters example. That kid owns the place. And will for years to come.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I may be repeating another post since I did not read all pages. However, there were several when JS hit the scene claiming here he would be a nobody and win nothing. Just sayin'...

Same ones still hanging around hoping to ty to prove themselves right . When you hear “ chicken wing “ and “ lucky putter “ you know who you’re dealing with.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

This is just a personal, gut feeling. But he has “it”. Right now “it” can’t overcome the issues he has, but it will. The kid knows how to win.

Empasizing the chicken wing for a reason he’s done seems wildly innacurate. Many players have had oddities, Jack’s flying right elbow isn’t textbook, he did ok.

And how many “perfect” swings have we seen out there that do nothing or next to nothing (hello AS).

Winners find ways to win.

I may be repeating another post since I did not read all pages. However, there were several when JS hit the scene claiming here he would be a nobody and win nothing. Just sayin'...

Same ones still hanging around hoping to ty to prove themselves right . When you hear “ chicken wing “ and “ lucky putter “ you know who you’re dealing with.

You’re currently dealing with someone who has eyes and uses them to watch golf and study statistics.

There’s nothing orthodox about his golf swing, and his recent form gives no indication that he’s anywhere near a threat to win the PGA Championship.

It’s okay to be a fan, it really is. But it’s also okay to be critical of touring professionals.

You’re currently dealing with someone who has eyes and uses them to watch golf and study statistics.

There’s nothing orthodox about his golf swing, and his recent form gives no indication that he’s anywhere near a threat to win the PGA Championship.

It’s okay to be a fan, it really is. But it’s also okay to be critical of touring professionals.

I agree with everything you just said. But being critical of a tour professional is a long way from posting the infamous “ choke “ scene from Augusta and citing a “ chicken wing” as having anything to do With the price of tea in China.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

why is this still a thread? Who is the OP? Patrick Reed, is that you? Betting against Speith is a really dumb thing to do. This guy is a cerebral assassin. Im calling him winning a major this year?

Falling out of the Top 100? Bro, get back on your medication.

Betting against him has been a financial success so far no complaints here. Top 100 maybe a little over reach but this guy is in quick sand and needs a rope thrown to him. A win will quiet the storm, but bad weather is forecasted for Spieth for a while before it gets better.

Here's the thing in this genius debate.

The guys saying "he's fine, he'll be back" are not making a bold statement. This is the most likely scenario - like the stock market will go up over the long-run. But then they'll "say I told you so" and claim to be a genius once he wins again.

The guys calling for his death are like Max Kellerman and Brady. Make enough crazy predictions and eventually one of them comes true. Then they think they're a genius too.

As I've said, I think I'm pretty neutral on Spieth from a fan standpoint. I think he'll go on to win again at a good clip (stretches of 1-2 wins per year) and hopefully win some more big tournaments. The thing is, his game is not close to being "right there" at the moment. This is the biggest "fan googles" I see. His stats in the 2018-2019 season are terrible, and in the last 12 months Rory has been just as close to hypothetically winning majors and has actually won a tournament. And we can't just evaluate the good shots Spieth hit in a 4 round tournament...

why is this still a thread? Who is the OP? Patrick Reed, is that you? Betting against Speith is a really dumb thing to do. This guy is a cerebral assassin. Im calling him winning a major this year?

People say "cerebral assassin" a lot - but for a guy who makes dumb decisions to hit 3w at Carnoustie, or a 6i at Pebble Beach - it doesn't stack up anymore.

The guys saying "he's fine, he'll be back" are not making a bold statement. This is the most likely scenario - like the stock market will go up over the long-run. But then they'll "say I told you so" and claim to be a genius once he wins again.

The guys calling for his death are like Max Kellerman and Brady. Make enough crazy predictions and eventually one of them comes true. Then they think they're a genius too.

As I've said, I think I'm pretty neutral on Spieth from a fan standpoint. I think he'll go on to win again at a good clip (stretches of 1-2 wins per year) and hopefully win some more big tournaments. The thing is, his game is not close to being "right there" at the moment. This is the biggest "fan googles" I see. His stats in the 2018-2019 season are terrible, and in the last 12 months Rory has been just as close to hypothetically winning majors and has actually won a tournament. And we can't just evaluate the good shots Spieth hit in a 4 round tournament...

I can't disagree with much of what you said but the title of this thread says 'worse drought yet to come'. Key words being 'worse' and 'yet to come'. That's a bold prediction that states things are gonna get worse. Based on some individual rounds lately it does look like things are starting to come together but I've yet to hear a hypothetical argument based on keen observations or background knowledge where one might conclude that it's going to get worse. Don't you think a reasonable argument needs to be put forward to put such a bold statement out there? Without a proper argument stating why this might be the case one can only conclude that this is simply a troll post. Would you agree?

I haven’t read anybody say the opposite.

Glad to see someone acknowledge that in all likely hood he gets it back together. It’s the guys who claim his success a fluke that are the rabble rousers.

Maybe put Rory in that same boat. Maybe just a step farther toward the rear of the boat. ( which means he’s doing better ) Either can get it going anytime now. Close is a relative term. We just watched Bubba Watson nearly retire he played so bad. Then suddenly win several in a quick clip. Close to some means winning this week. Close to me means working toward Augusta. Judging against the title of this thread I say he’s close. That title and several posters lead us to believe he’s headed for the web.com. All I can say to that is lolz. ( sarcasm ).

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I can't disagree with much of what you said but the title of this thread says 'worse drought yet to come'. Key words being 'worse' and 'yet to come'. That's a bold prediction that states things are gonna get worse. Based on some individual rounds lately it does look like things are starting to come together but I've yet to hear a hypothetical argument based on keen observations or background knowledge where one might conclude that it's going to get worse. Don't you think a reasonable argument needs to be put forward to put such a bold statement out there? Without a proper argument stating why this might be the case one can only conclude that this is simply a troll post. Would you agree?

Fair enough. I agree that it (the title) is a pretty baseless claim with no specific insight and is likely a troll post.

However, I would say that simply pointing to his past record (which is excellent and only matched by a few in the game) is not that much more insightful. Yes, guys that win typically don't fall of the face of the earth (although some do). I entirely agree that someone with as many wins as Spieth did not get them all by "luck." There may have been some "luck" in the rate at which he won, but taking that luck away does not mean he will crash and burn.

While all of this is entertaining, I've just realized how pointless it all is. It's like two little kids fighting back and forth, neither of which have very good arguments. I guess we can add that "Choo started it" to the mix.

People say "cerebral assassin" a lot - but for a guy who makes dumb decisions to hit 3w at Carnoustie, or a 6i at Pebble Beach - it doesn't stack up anymore.

well, he didn't slip on a banana peel and fall into 3 majors :)