I’m giving up Blades... sort of...

2456789

Comments

  • oz dee ceeoz dee cee Posts: 466 ✭✭
    I never fully got into the notion that blades make me concentrate harder or put more attention into my swing. Once I pull the trigger, there is little thought or concentration really. In any event, I can hit a GI iron as terrible as any iron despite intentions. I can also hit them just as well. I want to hit every shot as well as I can irrespective of the club in hand. But we are all different I guess.



    The reality for me is cavities give room for error cause I’m a hacker and will miss centre strikes.



    Still, when do those blueprints come out? 😬
  • vinny809vinny809 Members Posts: 467 ClubWRX


    I have continued to seek forgiveness through years of Mizunos. 32, 57, 53, jpx 850, now 900 hot metals. You can get used to looking at any size iron with any size top line. And Hot metals are surprisingly easy to work right or left. Time is to pre ious to overthink . I’ll take high long and straight over tight looking blades




    Do have a full jpx hot metal set or a blend of forged and hot metal? I’m getting a fitting Friday and trying to decide what to do.
  • BiggErnBiggErn Members Posts: 2,163 ✭✭
    agolf1 wrote:
    tatertot wrote:


    Wow ... A plus handicapper being honest about what's best for his game ....



    All those double digits arguing about the butteriest blades with negative offset on the other threads could probably pick up a thing or two from this.


    They just came to this thread.






    Coping mechanism for self justification.
  • BiggErnBiggErn Members Posts: 2,163 ✭✭
    Chew70 wrote:
    Obviously it's up to you but forgiveness is bs for the most part. I went from blades to gi back to blades because the truth is my scoring average didn't change over a 2 year period. A pure strike with a blade is the pure essence of golf. Period. You can say what you want but the facts are no iron, gi or blade, will matter in the long run. Play what want and what looks good at adress. Life is too short. Peace out.




    That’s why over 75% of pros play something other than MBs.
  • Man_O_WarMan_O_War Members Posts: 2,718 ✭✭
    life is a struggle. the struggle is the beauty in the package...it has to be blades.
    Cobra LTD PRO/LTD BLACK  Matrix F6M2/F7M3/Project X LZ 6.0 71g HC/ Fuji 661 III
    Cobra LTD 3/4 Kai'li 80
    Cobra LTD 4/5 Kai'li 80
    TM Mid_Rescue TP 22*
    Cobra Fly Z  Pro Irons Modus 120x SSx2 4-pw
    RTX 3.0 50, 54, 60 Modus 125
    Machine LN M6
  • BonesawBonesaw Posts: 530 ✭✭
    There is a review from another site from a guy who went from +2ish to well under(or is it over) +3 testing g700s last summer. I believe he played a combo set of srixons before.



    It piqued my interest as a low single digit.



  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Members Posts: 24,968 ✭✭
    BiggErn wrote:

    Chew70 wrote:
    Obviously it's up to you but forgiveness is bs for the most part. I went from blades to gi back to blades because the truth is my scoring average didn't change over a 2 year period. A pure strike with a blade is the pure essence of golf. Period. You can say what you want but the facts are no iron, gi or blade, will matter in the long run. Play what want and what looks good at adress. Life is too short. Peace out.




    That’s why over 75% of pros play something other than MBs.






    is that random back pocket calculation accounting for all the Ping staffers flocking to the Blueprint MB ? lol
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Titleist Tour Proto MB 3-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
  • jll62jll62 ClubWRX Posts: 1,989 ClubWRX


    So I have decided, even though I'm a decent player and still easily have "the swing speed" for 'em, I'm giving up Blades.



    My only real miss with irons and wedges are shots off the toe, and since a blade has usually more mass in the heel, I get the worst drop offs in that situation. I think the time has come that there's just too much tech and forgiveness in modern players cavity clubs to overlook it anymore. I have had great rounds and bad rounds with all types of clubs, but I think on average true musclebacks contribute more on the negative side and players cavity clubs on the positive side.



    So for 2019 I'm setting myself some restrictions to my club-ho bags to see if I improve:



    (1) No muscle back irons whatsoever unless it's in the PW or 9i, I love the look of blades so this way I could have them still but more on shorter shots with less penal misses. But even then try to not play them entirely.



    (2) All other irons must be players cavity variety, ie: AP2, Apex Pro, Cobra KING, Mizuno SC, Taylormade P750/760, etc.



    (3) Longest iron is a 4i, no more 3i, and maybe try to incorporate an even more forgiving 4i like a Z585 when using Z785 irons or something.



    I love love love the look of true MB's, but the reality is I think CB's and up help my game on average more often given my specific miss patterns. With all the tungsten and weight distribution and tech, CB irons just have more versatility in their potential designs.



    I thought I'd open the discussion for others who are thinking the same, and I'll try to report back as time progresses. I really want to try to stick to these general rules for all of 2019 and get a good test going to see if I feel my game has improved on average. Wish me luck!




    As someone who has switched between blades and CB's for years, I love this post. I'm a good ball striker and feel that I can easily play blades, but I've finally decided to stop trying to work them into the bag. People can claim all they want that the forgiveness line is BS, but that's simply not true in my experience. My best golf and most accurate ball striking has come during periods where I've had CBs in the bag.



    I did some testing this winter with P730 against my gamers (RSi TP) and a set of P750 that has finally convinced me to give up the blades idea for good (or at least another season). At a time when I'm trying to get better by finding fractions of a stroke here and there, it's just not worth it for me to take the slight hit with blades in the bag.
    TaylorMade M5 9.0, Tensei Pro White 60 S, 44.75"
    TaylorMade M5 Rocket 3, Tensei Pro White 70 S, 42.5"
    TaylorMade P-790 UDI 2, Aerotech SteelFiber i95 S
    TaylorMade P-770 3-4, DG X100 (SSx1)
    TaylorMade P-750 5-PW, DG X100 (SSx1)
    TaylorMade Milled Grind 52 Raw, DG S400
    TaylorMade Hi-Toe 60 (58), DG S400
    TaylorMade DJ Itsy Bitsy Proto, 34"
    TaylorMade TP5x #12

    jll62's WITB
  • balls_deepballs_deep Members Posts: 460 ✭✭

    ctay61983 wrote:


    Srixon




    So far that's the main contender right now. I was thinking Z785 in 5-PW and either Z585 in the 4i or a 22* hybrid.



    Also considering I think...



    Apex 19 Pro

    Ping i210

    JPX 919 Forged (I think the 919 Tour are probably still too "bladey")



    The Srixon's are hard to resist though with their softer metal and awesome upgrade shafts at no charge -- like Tour Issue DG. Everyone upcharges for those except Srixon!




    After deciding to not buy your combo set I went for AP2. After playing a few rounds with my Mizzy blades and a few rounds with the AP2 I've noticed my scores are around 4-5 shots better with the AP2. They are particularly forgiving in the toe (as long as it isn't super high toe). I hit an 8 iron yesterday that felt mishit but ended up pin high on the green. I looked at the club and it had the mark on the grooves but a full ball out to the toe. I'd definitely go AP2 given you played MB/CB. It'll feel a bit less soft but save those mishits and still look almost identical at address.
    Titleist 915D2 10.5 w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60S
    Titleist 917F2 16.5 w/ Aldila Rogue Black 70S
    Titleist 816H1 20* and 24* w/ Accra FX200H M4
    Titleist AP2 718 4-PW w/ DG AMT Tour White S300
    Vokey SM7 50F.8, 54S.10, 58D.12 S200
    Bettinardi Kuchar Model 1 Armlock 42" & Odyssey O Works 7 35"
    Pro V1x
  • MelloYelloMelloYello Members Posts: 3,043 ✭✭
    edited Feb 13, 2019 10:46am #41

    MelloYello wrote:


    Nothing wrong with CBs at all. Very little difference IMO. Just gotta find what you like in terms of size, offset, sole width, etc.




    I do agree. Many players cavity back irons still look really great at address.



    I mean, a lot of Pros make pleeenntyyy of money using CB irons or bigger. I figure why am I making it harder on myself?



    Finding the right CB is going to be difficult. So much variation out there.




    Yeah, but OTOH, you'll get used to looking down at whatever you have given time. That's always the saving grace. I think the brain naturally adapts given that the goal is to hit a good shot. Subject to your abilities, you'll find how to put the club on the ball. So I think the question is two-fold:



    (1) How do you like to put the club on the ball?



    (2) How consistently can you manage the former?



    I never had a problem going back and forth when it came to smaller CBs. What it came down to was finding a CB small enough that I still felt I could release the same way. For instance, you can go directly from an MB to a CB but going all the way to an AP2 is another story. That's a fundamentally different club IMO and it requires you totally adjust.



    When I was comparing CBs to MBs or an MP-64 to an MP-4, there wasn't much "forgiveness" happening in the cavity club, at least not in terms of real improvement on the shot. The "forgiveness" I found was just in feel. The perimeter weight would just dampen the vibration. That was pretty much it. The exception might be in the 3- and 4-irons where a lot of sets start to create a thicker perimeter lip and a larger cavity which can both be welcome adjustments. I would much prefer to hit an MP-64 3-iron off the turf than say, an MP-4. No doubt about that!



    But in my experience, I'm going to hit a mid-iron blade as high (if not higher) than most alternatives because the club is small, the CG is therefore kind of low and the spin is relatively high. The 3-iron I may not strike perfectly flush but the 6- and 7-iron? Well...most of the time contact is pretty pure, I think. I'm not "worried about it." Let's say that.



    So in talking about the mid-irons I really wanted to keep my natural release which produced a shallow strike. Having come from blades, that's just what felt natural. By contrast, the AP2's I tried made me feel like I had to be steep on the ball--almost that they were designed to be hit kind of "punchy." That feel would work when I did it but it felt way different and almost "improper" so I bailed pretty quickly.



    If I were starting from scratch maybe it'd be better to learn with AP2's, you know? But having learned on an MB I kind of have to stick with what type of release feels proper. So when you talk about various pro's and what they play, take note that a lot of the blade guys like Tiger, Rory, & Rickie on the men's side and even Charley Hull on the LPGA, are the type who've just always played blades. Jimmy Walker, Webb Simpson and Adam Scott are still others who consistently opt for the MB. Even guys like DJ and Justin Rose have elected to stick with blades after tinkering around. Justin Thomas is another MB guy. He has an AP2 4i in the bag now but swapping out a long-iron or two is pretty common. I think right now Jason Day is also a blade guy through most of his set.



    Who are the CB guys? Jordan Spieth and Zach Johnson were always synonymous with the AP2. Bill Haas has a set this year I think. Brooks Koepka and John Rahm both favor a small forged CB. But I'd wager all those guys are probably using what they always did. You think Spieth changed to AP2 irons when he hit the PGA Tour? I don't know but I doubt it.



    Point is, it's hard to retreat from what you are. If you like blades, it's often just written in your DNA. No matter what "benefits" you might tell yourself you'll get with a cavity, you'll instinctively reach for the 8i you feel offers you the look and feedback you want. So if you're used to an MB 8i, that's probably what you'll stick with. To me, it was always a headache trying to get the short-irons "right" with a CB so I just said, **** it, I'm keeping my MBs and I'm not going to question it.



    I've gone to using T-MB long irons this year and so far, so good. They feel muted and solid like a CB and are really stable at impact as far as I can tell. If anything, they seem to have a flatter ball-flight so I'm thinking there's maybe a little less spin? But the ball does jump off the face and the flatter trajectory makes them even better off the tee which is where I use them most of the time. I'm not sure they really elevate the shot by a huge margin--probably just a little.



    What it came down to for me in the 6-Pw was that I'm shallow and my misses are thin. Therefore, an MB is not a bad option. I wasn't worried about being able to find the center of the club-face. That was going to happen as I got adjusted. I just wanted something I felt I was comfortable with and which freed me up to swing as I wanted to. Sure, I work on mechanics on the range. But that's big stuff. The feeling of how I release through the ball is pretty much ingrained at this point. I couldn't go out and hit a set of GI irons if I tried. It's just a different "skill" if that makes sense.



    So you're right, a lot of finding a good CB will come down to what looks and feels right.
    Driver: TaylorMade M3 (10.5)
    Hybrid: Tour Edge Exotics E8 (19)
    Irons: Titleist 716 CB (3-Pw)
    Wedges: Vokey SM6 52 (F) / 56 (F) / 60 (S)
    Putter: Nike Method Milled 003
  • BiggErnBiggErn Members Posts: 2,163 ✭✭
    BiggErn wrote:

    Chew70 wrote:
    Obviously it's up to you but forgiveness is bs for the most part. I went from blades to gi back to blades because the truth is my scoring average didn't change over a 2 year period. A pure strike with a blade is the pure essence of golf. Period. You can say what you want but the facts are no iron, gi or blade, will matter in the long run. Play what want and what looks good at adress. Life is too short. Peace out.




    That’s why over 75% of pros play something other than MBs.






    is that random back pocket calculation accounting for all the Ping staffers flocking to the Blueprint MB ? lol




    No it’s a statistical fact and has been for a long time. Lol
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Members Posts: 24,968 ✭✭
    BiggErn wrote:

    BiggErn wrote:

    Chew70 wrote:
    Obviously it's up to you but forgiveness is bs for the most part. I went from blades to gi back to blades because the truth is my scoring average didn't change over a 2 year period. A pure strike with a blade is the pure essence of golf. Period. You can say what you want but the facts are no iron, gi or blade, will matter in the long run. Play what want and what looks good at adress. Life is too short. Peace out.




    That’s why over 75% of pros play something other than MBs.






    is that random back pocket calculation accounting for all the Ping staffers flocking to the Blueprint MB ? lol




    No it’s a statistical fact and has been for a long time. Lol




    Just referencing the 75%. Majority. Maybe. But closer to 55-45 split. Unless you’re trying to count any pro with a GI 3 iron etc.
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Titleist Tour Proto MB 3-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
  • BiggErnBiggErn Members Posts: 2,163 ✭✭
    BiggErn wrote:

    BiggErn wrote:

    Chew70 wrote:
    Obviously it's up to you but forgiveness is bs for the most part. I went from blades to gi back to blades because the truth is my scoring average didn't change over a 2 year period. A pure strike with a blade is the pure essence of golf. Period. You can say what you want but the facts are no iron, gi or blade, will matter in the long run. Play what want and what looks good at adress. Life is too short. Peace out.




    That’s why over 75% of pros play something other than MBs.






    is that random back pocket calculation accounting for all the Ping staffers flocking to the Blueprint MB ? lol




    No it’s a statistical fact and has been for a long time. Lol




    Just referencing the 75%. Majority. Maybe. But closer to 55-45 split. Unless you’re trying to count any pro with a GI 3 iron etc.




    You’re not remotely close
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Members Posts: 24,968 ✭✭
    Love to see that list. Lol
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Titleist Tour Proto MB 3-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
  • BiggErnBiggErn Members Posts: 2,163 ✭✭
    Love to see that list. Lol




    Google it. Any given week there is around 25-35% using MBs. That’s just the pga tour. I can imagine if you add all the professional tours it would be significantly lower.
  • jholzjholz Members Posts: 1,296 ✭✭
    I put up my '96 Hogan Apexes in 2004ish? and have gone to progressively more "techy" player's cb's.



    With some of more traditional, less "techy" CB irons - say the Titliest CBs or the lower number Mizuno MP CBs - I don't see that much difference between them and the modern MBs in terms of forgiveness and playing profile. When you get into the AP line, or the higher number MPs and JPX lines (and similar profile clubs), that's where the difference really lies in my opinion.



    All that being said, it seems like the OP has a really solid plan to execute. If I were going to go with a blended set that incorporated some MBs, I'm not sure I would cut it off at the 9i. For some reason PW or 8i seem like better options for whatever reason.



    In any event, I envy you for the club shopping that apparently lies in your future. Have a good time with the process!
    Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
    Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
    or
    Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
    Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
    or
    Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
    Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
    5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
    Vokey Design 200 Series 52* Stock Wedge (?)
    Cleveland CG15 Oilcan 56* Stock Wedge
    Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
    Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize
  • Chew70 wrote:


    Obviously it's up to you but forgiveness is bs for the most part. I went from blades to gi back to blades because the truth is my scoring average didn't change over a 2 year period. A pure strike with a blade is the pure essence of golf. Period. You can say what you want but the facts are no iron, gi or blade, will matter in the long run. Play what want and what looks good at adress. Life is too short. Peace out.




    I don't look at it as black and white as "SGI means more forgiveness and blades don't have forgiveness". It all still comes down to strike. If you shank the ball then you're going to do that no matter what club you have on the ground.



    For me it's understanding what my general miss is, and that's a shot towards the toe. A true muscleback's COG tends to (for the vast majority of the time) be more towards the heel. So I get really bad drop-offs in distance when my miss comes into play. In a CB-type of iron there's more "tech" being done to relocate COG to the center of the face and distribute mass around the perimeter. It's not going to dramatically change my game because I will STILL miss shots towards the toe (that's my miss after all regardless of club), but if I can play a club that is designed to move more mass in that direction then perhaps that drop-off will be less severe or not as noticeable at all.



    It's about putting into perspective what "forgiveness" actually is in this game. It's more-so taking the proper compensations for your particular miss patterns.
    “Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same
    time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented."
    - Arnold Palmer
  • ShakesterShakester Members Posts: 423 ✭✭
    I've played blades for as long as I can remember. Mizuno MP14's and 29's, Titleist Custom Grinds and 990B's. My last set were the Nike blades. After my golf hiatus, blades looked even smaller that I remember so I went with the Nike Vapor Pro Combos which were great irons. Slight larger than a blade with blade-like aesthetics. I do believe there is more forgiveness in a larger club face. The majority of my bad shots are off the toe. With a blade, I not only lost distance but my ball went straight right. With my P770's, shots off the toe still finds itself on the green or on the fringe.
    Taylormade M3 Driver (UST Mamiya Chrome Elements Stiff Shaft) 9.5
    Taylormade M2 3 Wood 15
    Taylormade M2 5 Wood 18
    Taylormade P770 Irons (4-PW)
    Titleist SM6 Vokey Wedges (50, 55 & 60)
    Titleist Newport Platinum Putter
    Taylormade TP5 Golf balls
  • Shakester wrote:


    I've played blades for as long as I can remember. Mizuno MP14's and 29's, Titleist Custom Grinds and 990B's. My last set were the Nike blades. After my golf hiatus, blades looked even smaller that I remember so I went with the Nike Vapor Pro Combos which were great irons. Slight larger than a blade with blade-like aesthetics. I do believe there is more forgiveness in a larger club face. The majority of my bad shots are off the toe. With a blade, I not only lost distance but my ball went straight right. With my P770's, shots off the toe still finds itself on the green or on the fringe.




    That's sort of my predicament except often times my shots off the toe go the right shape and direct I am looking for but lose 10-15% distance. For me it's not a conversation of going to forgiving irons just blindly thinking I'm going to get help, it's about me going to irons with more "tech" in them that have purpose-built weight distribution that will benefit my particular misses. Which I think is the REAL conversation people need to have when they talk "forgiveness" -- will this club "forgive" my misses?
    “Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same
    time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented."
    - Arnold Palmer
  • andrieddleandrieddle Posts: 1,798 ✭✭
    Let us know what set you end up with OP....curious to see that
    [font=comic sans ms,cursive]Cobra Fly Z+ (11)
    Cobra Bio Cell 4W (16)
    TaylorMade R15 4H (21)
    FourteeN TC 606 (5-P/A)

    Bridgestone J15 (50)
    Callaway MD2 (56/60)
    Odyssey EXO 7S
    [/font]
  • MelloYelloMelloYello Members Posts: 3,043 ✭✭


    That's sort of my predicament except often times my shots off the toe go the right shape and direct I am looking for but lose 10-15% distance. For me it's not a conversation of going to forgiving irons just blindly thinking I'm going to get help, it's about me going to irons with more "tech" in them that have purpose-built weight distribution that will benefit my particular misses. Which I think is the REAL conversation people need to have when they talk "forgiveness" -- will this club "forgive" my misses?




    Maybe try the new Titleist 718 CB? They've stuck a tungsten weight out in the toe of their normal CB. They're claiming it's as stable as some of the previous AP2s which is pretty impressive.
    Driver: TaylorMade M3 (10.5)
    Hybrid: Tour Edge Exotics E8 (19)
    Irons: Titleist 716 CB (3-Pw)
    Wedges: Vokey SM6 52 (F) / 56 (F) / 60 (S)
    Putter: Nike Method Milled 003
  • Big BenBig Ben Members Posts: 8,918 ✭✭
    I believe a players CB has all the attributes of a MB with a little more forgiveness. I swear I would convert to a full GI iron if the turf interaction wasn’t so different. Because I’ve grown up on small players style irons I just can’t make clean contact with the wider soles on tight lies. Also, I can’t manipulate the head nearly as effectively in thick rough. Each style iron has its benefits and drawbacks. I say play what makes you happy and for me that’s reflected on my scorecard. BB
    Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
    Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
    Fairway: Titleist 917F2
    Hybrid: A-Grind
    2 iron: Ping Rapture
    Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
    Putter: Evnroll 9.1
    Balls: ProV1
  • Ripken08Ripken08 Members Posts: 4,239 ✭✭
    Chew70 wrote:


    Obviously it's up to you but forgiveness is bs for the most part. I went from blades to gi back to blades because the truth is my scoring average didn't change over a 2 year period. A pure strike with a blade is the pure essence of golf. Period. You can say what you want but the facts are no iron, gi or blade, will matter in the long run. Play what want and what looks good at adress. Life is too short. Peace out.




    +1. Forgiveness is overrated. Shoot the same with anything.
  • mmack067mmack067 Members Posts: 682 ✭✭
    This is exactly where I am this year. I'm going for a fitting in two weeks and I've come to the same conclusion that I want to move to a more forgiving iron just for those ones where I catch it a hair thin or a bit toward the toe. I'd rather retain a bit more ball speed on those misses and hopefully end up on front edge of the green rather than catch the bunker on those.



    I'm actually really interested in doing some sort of combo set so that the short irons are still visually appealing. I'm excited to see if what can be done with Ping, Mizuno, or Srixon combo sets.
    Ping G400 LST - Copperhead 70TX
    '16 M1 15˚- Rogue Silver 70X
    TaylorMade UDI 20˚- Recoil 110 F5
    TaylorMade RSI TP 4i, Miura MC-501 5-PW - X100
    Vokey SM7 50F, 54S, 60M - S400
    TaylorMade Spider Tour Red Sightline

    Twitter-icon.png  lDLcKyO.png?1  


  • cav5cav5 Posts: 326 ✭✭
    I kind of did the same. Went from baby blades to MP69s. Mostly because I hated the way the PW looked in the baby blades. I like chrome tho and the longer blade length.



    Clubs are weird, the whole COG thing I don't get because I feel like you need to take into account the entire club. I dunno..
    M5 9.0 Tensei Pro White 70TX
    M5 19 KK XTS 80
    MP69 PX 6.5
    ROTEX2.0 50,54,60* PX 6.0
    NC Portofino

  • chisagchisag Members Posts: 2,905 ✭✭


    I wish I could get myself around to that way of thinking. I plan on getting fit for the new Srixon irons in a few weeks and my current thoughts pre-fitting are a set of Z-Forged blades from 5-P and a Z-785 3i and 4i (bending the 4i 1° weak to blend the set a little better). I'd actually probably do just fine, if not objectively slightly better with the added forgiveness of just doing the 785s in 3-P and maybe just loft matching them to the Z-Forged specs (basically 1° weak in 4-8) but I just love the way a blade looks and feels and that little less offset. I rationalize it to myself that I don't play competitively really (though I want to start getting into some local am tournaments this year) and I should just play what I like best within reason and certainly as a scratch golfer the difference is probably very small between a blade and a players CB in the mid and short irons anyway. But I'm certain there are shots here and there where I would get more out of that slight cavity, toe shots like you say which do creep up on me as well from time to time. Fighting ego is hard in this game sometimes and I'm afraid for me it's usually a losing battle pretty often.






    ... One of my favorite WRX posts and very well said! Ionically as an older player, there were no players irons and game improvement irons were butt ugly so MB's were really the only choice. They worked well with balata balls as well. But once they started making forged players CB's I started combing MB short irons and CB mid/long irons. Then finally made the jump to all CB and they look much better to my eye than MB's. Mostly because I associate poor contact being more playable with CB's and poor contact being more penal with MB's. My miss tends to be slightly low and on my bad back days out on the toe. P790's perform really well with those slight misses and look good 1* weak... yet I keep looking at the P760's because the one thing I don't love about the 790's is the thicker top line, even though I know it is there to facilitate the foam. So I guess there is still some ego involved in my decisions too. And for the first time in at least 10 years, looking at those new Srixon Z Forged made me think ...
    Cobra F9 Tour Length ... Atmos Blue TS 65s
    Cobra F9 15.5* ... Atmos Blue TS 75s
    Cobra F6 Baffler ... Kuro Kage Black 75s
    TaylorMade UDi 18* 2 iron... HZRDUS Black 85hy
    4-pw TaylorMade P790 ... Recoil Prototype 95's
    SM6 52* F Grind /SM7 D Grind 58* ... Recoil 110s
    Bobby Grace 6330 ... 33.5"
  • andrieddle wrote:


    Let us know what set you end up with OP....curious to see that




    I’m between the Z785 and the Apex Pro 19 I think.
    “Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same
    time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented."
    - Arnold Palmer

  • andrieddle wrote:


    Let us know what set you end up with OP....curious to see that




    I’m between the Z785 and the Apex Pro 19 I think.




    So I have officially decided on the Z785 irons to give a go. They use a softer metal than any other iron and are like $500 cheaper or more than the Apex 19 Pro after my Nippon shaft and MCC+4 grip choice. Srixon really has the best no upcharge options.



    I did also snag a U85 2-iron I’m having built with an AD-DI shaft, but I’m opening to swapping it out for a more forgiving option if I don’t get the results that I want, and maybe using a U85 or more forgiving iron in the 4-iron if need be too.



    I just typically hit a 5W too well and it’s too much club in the 18* spot off the deck, and I’m not always super confident off the tee with a low loft hybrid... maybe I should be open to a 4W/7W combo or something too. We’ll see.



    But the main point of this test for 2019 is to stay away from Blades altogether and see if it does anything at all to my handicap over the course of a full year.
    “Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same
    time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented."
    - Arnold Palmer
  • AB1981AB1981 Members Posts: 16
    Chew70 wrote:
    Obviously it's up to you but forgiveness is bs for the most part. I went from blades to gi back to blades because the truth is my scoring average didn't change over a 2 year period. A pure strike with a blade is the pure essence of golf. Period. You can say what you want but the facts are no iron, gi or blade, will matter in the long run. Play what want and what looks good at adress. Life is too short. Peace out.
    What he said...I have played everything from Ping G series to blades the last couple years and I don't score any different with any of them. Currently playing Cobra Fly Z+. But I guess in fairness my home course is only 6600 all the way back so I hit a lot of wedges, my outlook might be different if I was regularly playing bigger tracks.
  • Nard_SNard_S Members Posts: 3,101 ✭✭
    AB1981 wrote:

    Chew70 wrote:
    Obviously it's up to you but forgiveness is bs for the most part. I went from blades to gi back to blades because the truth is my scoring average didn't change over a 2 year period. A pure strike with a blade is the pure essence of golf. Period. You can say what you want but the facts are no iron, gi or blade, will matter in the long run. Play what want and what looks good at adress. Life is too short. Peace out.
    What he said...I have played everything from Ping G series to blades the last couple years and I don't score any different with any of them. Currently playing Cobra Fly Z+. But I guess in fairness my home course is only 6600 all the way back so I hit a lot of wedges, my outlook might be different if I was regularly playing bigger tracks.




    Agree, my course is 6600 from back also. There's maybe 2 shots on 2 holes where a GI long iron might be of significance. Metals, wedge and putter account for 2/3 to 3/4 of all shots. Of the rest, 1/2 are at least #8 or shorter. People play what drives their passion. If it's knocking every tenth of the index , great, it's valid. If it's things that blades uniquely deliver to the user, it's valid also. It's a game after all and nothing more. Shaft profile and weight configuration will yield better gains than any dance of grams that head design offers, so these discussions come off like adults in a Charlie Brown episode to me....wah wah woh, wah. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
Sign In or Register to comment.