Taylormade Spider Tour Putters

justincredible04

Had my second round with the T-sight line black (slant neck) today. I wasn't sure about the T line at first... It really works well though!

Did the T-Sight line black come with a red head cover or black? As you can see from the link below the original black with no sight line looks to show the red cover. They have last years model with the black sole plate instead of the red.

https://www.tgw.com/taylormade-spider-tour-black-w-t-sightline-putter

https://www.tgw.com/taylormade-spider-tour-black-putter

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 60

3 Wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue - Tensei AV Raw Blue

4I - GW: Taylor Made PSI - KBS C-Taper 105

SW: Titleist SM5 - 54 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

LW: Titleist SM5 - 60 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter: 2022 Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had my second round with the T-sight line black (slant neck) today. I wasn't sure about the T line at first... It really works well though!

Did the T-Sight line black come with a red head cover or black? As you can see from the link below the original black with no sight line looks to show the red cover. They have last years model with the black sole plate instead of the red.

https://www.tgw.com/taylormade-spider-tour-black-w-t-sightline-putter

https://www.tgw.com/taylormade-spider-tour-black-putter

Not sure about t-line, but original black came with black cover

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

https://www.tgw.com/...ightline-putter

https://www.tgw.com/...ur-black-putter

Not sure about t-line, but original black came with black cover

That would make the most sense, but they are showing a red head cover for the black. Must be a screw up.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 60

3 Wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue - Tensei AV Raw Blue

4I - GW: Taylor Made PSI - KBS C-Taper 105

SW: Titleist SM5 - 54 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

LW: Titleist SM5 - 60 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter: 2022 Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Ordered some red touch up paint from GPI on eBay. Has good reviews on there so I'm interested to see how it works out. I have a little chip right on the topline of the putter that bugs me a little bit. Didn't bug me that I shot 32 putts today though. I left a lot out there as well. I feel very confident with this beautiful matte red bingo.

how did it work?

Ordered some red touch up paint from GPI on eBay. Has good reviews on there so I'm interested to see how it works out. I have a little chip right on the topline of the putter that bugs me a little bit. Didn't bug me that I shot 32 putts today though. I left a lot out there as well. I feel very confident with this beautiful matte red bingo.

how did it work?

Actually pretty well. The first time I did it I went way too heavy but I just used a nail polish remover and got it all off. Then I went back and made sure there was barely any paint on the little brush and it came out really well. I recommend it and the paint match is pretty damn good.

The seller is GPI touch up paint. The color is under Jason Day red spider. The paint will last an extremely long time and I probably have enough to paint the whole putter twice if I needed to lol.

The paint coming off is the only reason why I've not bought this putter but so intrigued by the toe hang mallet!

Callaway Paradym TD 10* Ventus Red TR 5S

Titleist TSR3 13.5* 3 Wood Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR3 19* hybrid Modus GOST S

Titleist TSR2 24* hybrid Modus GOST S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 27* Ventus non Velocore S

Titleist T100 2023 6-PW KBS Tour V S

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

The paint coming off is the only reason why I've not bought this putter but so intrigued by the toe hang mallet!

I'm thinking of getting one and from what I've red the black version is fine. It's the red paint that chips easily.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

Has anyone had the paint around insert chip off? On my tour red the black paint around the insert is chipping off on the bottom.

Mine did this too. Did you ever get this resolved?

the question is does anyone have a jd red where the black on the insert didn't flake off?

I'm thinking about taking some black touch up paint from my car, and filling it in. It's actually a black painted border around the insert, that is flaking, I believe. Mine is only flaked off underneath the insert.

Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5 (-1), Ventus Black 6s
Cobra F7 3 Wood
Titleist 718 TMB 2 iron 17*

Adams TI Hybrid 20* and 23*
Srixon zx5 4-5, zx7 6-pw, s300, 2* flat

Vokey SM6 50f12
Vokey SM7 54s10

Mizuno T10 60

Odyssey White Hot #1 (2006)

I've been waiting a while to post in this thread, but figure I now have enough rounds in with my Spider to contribute. I picked up last year's version of the red JD slant neck model back in mid-June 2018. I've probably played 20 rounds with it and am very impressed. My putting has never been this consistently good over 20 rounds and I've been playing golf for 25 years, mostly as a low single digit handicap. I'm the guy who purchases 2-3 high end putters per year and maybe sells 1-2 of them off each year. Thus, I have a decent sized collection ranging from Bettinardi, Piretti, Cameron, Odyssey, TaylorMade, Rife and so on.

I believe the "honeymoon" period is over and my Spider is still rolling. At first, I thought the insert on the red model would be too soft based on what i read in this thread, but loved the way the red framed the ball so I went for it. I threw an Iomic grip on, which I believe makes the insert feel a bit firmer compared to the feel with the stock grips TM uses. The roll is so pure and the ball stays on line. It is very forgiving as my poor strokes still tend to at least scare the hole.

Have played in a few high $ and high pressure tournaments this summer with my Spider. Have yipped at least 2 or 3 very important short putts and the ball still went into the hole. My guess is that these putts would have been missed if I was using an anser or other similar style "blade" putter from my collection.... but that is just a guess!!!

If you can get over the unusual look and the paint chipping issues (yes, mine has a few minor paint chips around the insert) I highly recommend you give the Spider a chance.

I'm thinking of getting a back up JD model and a DJ model to have in my arsenal.

Callaway Mavrik driver

Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero 4-wood
Mizuno MP20 HMB 3-5 irons
Mizuno MP20 6-pw

Mizuno T20 50*, 55* and 60* wedges
Bettinardi BB25 putter
Titleist Pro V1x ball

I'm thinking of getting one and from what I've red the black version is fine. It's the red paint that chips easily.

They all chip just by looking at them wrong. Happened way back with the original white Spider and the Ghost Spider S models from 2013, and continues with these. Even my limited edition ones that were hand built in the TM putter lab chip. No way around it.

But that doesn't change the fact that these are the best putters ever made. No need to worry about the paint. Buy one and make some putts.

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 9.0, Ventus Black 6X, 45.5"

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 4 (16.5), HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.5 70g, 42.5"

TaylorMade P790 3 (2021), DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC Raw 4-PW, DG Mid X100 (SSx1)
TaylorMade MG4 50, 54 - DG S400

Titleist SM9 58T - DG S400
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport, 34"
TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

They all chip just by looking at them wrong. Happened way back with the original white Spider and the Ghost Spider S models from 2013, and continues with these. Even my limited edition ones that were hand built in the TM putter lab chip. No way around it.

But that doesn't change the fact that these are the best putters ever made. No need to worry about the paint. Buy one and make some putts.

After stopping trying to do straight back and straight through, I've been using a anser style putter which is fine but not as forgiving as a mallet and I didn't really understand how great this design is until recently. Silly me. You guys are right paint chips be damned that should not be the reason holding me back!

Callaway Paradym TD 10* Ventus Red TR 5S

Titleist TSR3 13.5* 3 Wood Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR3 19* hybrid Modus GOST S

Titleist TSR2 24* hybrid Modus GOST S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 27* Ventus non Velocore S

Titleist T100 2023 6-PW KBS Tour V S

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

Does anyone know of any options to repair the stock head over once the Velcro wears out? It seems that this is fairly common. In the meantime I’ve switched to another headcover, but would prefer to use the stock.

Titleist TSr 3 10°, Ventus Blue 6s
Titleist TSr 2 16.5°, Ventus Blue 7s

Ping G430 3, 4, 5 hybrid, Alta CB Black 70s

PXG 0317T 6-9, Mitsubishi MMT 80s
Vokey SM9 46°, 50°, 54° D, 60° T, Mitsubishi MMT 85s

L.A.B. Mezz.1 Max 35”, Accra

So I had issues with my black spider tour putter with sight line. It came with the big superstroke grip. Bought a Copper Juno, same grip, same issues!

Switched out the grip to some cheapo (I'll switch it again) thinner grip that is still flat at the top. And I've never putted better. Wow. My hands are small, and that big pistol grip just never felt right and I could never get a comfy grip on it.

• 1 month later...

Just had my first round with my DJ tour Spider. Success.

In the last year I have not played as much golf as normal and this was the first outing in 2 months. Lately, my putting has been a weak part of my game and has not allowed me to take advantage of opportunities that I have created. Very frustrating.

Today was different. I was amazed at the trust I had in the lines I was seeing, and my stroke followed suit. I also holed or scared the hole on putts inside 15'. Putts inside 5' seemed automatic. This reminds me of how I used to putt. For some reason, this set up works for my stroke. I do not feel effort to start the stroke going back and the slight toe hang works for me in a mallet set up.

Being on the course again played in to the joy of the experience, but my putting was something I stopped thinking about. I did not walk away with any frustration of "what could/what should have been". I feel I am very honest with myself and have never been one to say "if I only made those 40's the day would have been different". This is not realistic and stupid to be frustrated by. My frustration would always come from feeling solid from tee to green and putting myself in to that 10'-15' window and never feeling like I never had a chance. My scores were still solid but they seemingly were always on the high end of the potential of the round and that is where it gets frustrating.

I am genuinely excited about putting now.

Concerning the feel or sound, this is so subjective. I know that when I hit it out of the middle it has a very muted nice sound, and when I tend to creep out to the to it does have a different sound and feel. For me this is great! I love feedback.

I will keep you informed of the progress and also how the putter is wearing. I bought it used and from someone that plays a fairly decent amount and the paint was still perfect.

Thanks,

Kris

• 3 weeks later...

Have had my DJ Black since they were released in March. No paint chips playing 38 rounds with it YTD.

I have two original Tour Blacks with no issues at all.... picked up a Tour Red recently straight from Taylormade and paint came chipped around the insert and with dust/imperfections under the paint on the crown of the putter.

I've had a DJ Black #7 since May. 43 rounds and no chips.

Driver: Callaway Epic Max - 10.5 Deg - GD Tour AD HD - 5S
4 Wood: Callaway Epic Speed - 16.5 Deg - GD Tour AD MT - 6S
Irons: Callaway Epic Forged - 4i-SW - Aerotech Steelfiber FC90-F4
Wedge:Fourteen RM-21 - 58/12 - Recoil 110 F4
Putter: Taylormade Spider Tour Black #7 - 33"
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x 
Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 or Four5[/font][/size][/b]

• 2 weeks later...

I had the 2017 tour red and the paint fell off just looking at it. I’m now considering going back to one of these putters. Are the new 2018 versions still terrible for paint durability on the red?

Titleist TSR2 10 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 Ping tour shaft.
Titleist TS3 hybrid 21 Hzrdus smoke
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport two
Titleist Pro V1

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

I wanted the black because of the paint chipping issue and because I think it looks better.

But I bought the red because it feels better to me, and I felt like I was consistently finding the middle.

First time out on Sunday and had 31 putts. That’s good for me. Anything close to 30 and I’m happy.

More importantly I felt comfortable over the ball and shot my best score in months. 3 birdies in total and only one 3 jack.

Hopeful the paint is not an issue for me

TaylorMade Qi10 10.5* 
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16*
Srixon Z H45 Hybrid 19* 
Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-AW

Callaway Jaws Raw Black 54 & 58
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black
Bridgestone Tour RX

• 2 months later...

So I went to a work convention in Orlando and had a round of golf for our outing. I ended up getting a set of rental TM's with a red spider tour L neck putter that was chipped as all hell but man did I putt well with it. Didn't really like the slant neck and never gave the plumbers neck a serious look but I have to say it really set up well for me and I'm seriously debating on picking one up. Great putter.

So I went to a work convention in Orlando and had a round of golf for our outing. I Ended up getting a set of rental TM's with a red spider tour L neck putter that was chipped as all hell but man did I putt well with it. Didn't really like the slant neck and never gave the plumbers neck a serious look but I have to say it really set up well for me and I'm seriously debating on picking one up. Great putter.

I am glad more people are liking this style of Spider Tour....I was fit into one on 01/24 and played my first round with it on 02/03 and only had 28 putts....best results I have had in a while.

PING G430 LST 10.5° | DIAMANA GT 60X

COBRA DARKSPEED X 3HF 16.5° | HZRDUS BLACK 70X

PING G425 7W 20.5° | DIAMANA GT 70X

SRIXON ZX5 5-6 | MMT TAPER 105TX

SRIXON ZX7 7-PW | MMT TAPER 105TX

PING GLIDE 4.0 50°/54°/58° | MMT WEDGE 125TX

ODYSSEY TRI-HOT 5K SEVEN DB

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

So I went to a work convention in Orlando and had a round of golf for our outing. I ended up getting a set of rental TM's with a red spider tour L neck putter that was chipped as all hell but man did I putt well with it. Didn't really like the slant neck and never gave the plumbers neck a serious look but I have to say it really set up well for me and I'm seriously debating on picking one up. Great putter.

If I'm not mistaken TM verbiage for plumber's neck is "L Neck". I believe those 2 are the same.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

If I'm not mistaken TM verbiage for plumber's neck is "L Neck". I believe those 2 are the same.

Yes they are.

Yes they are.

Did you end up buying an "L" neck Spider Tour?

PING G430 LST 10.5° | DIAMANA GT 60X

COBRA DARKSPEED X 3HF 16.5° | HZRDUS BLACK 70X

PING G425 7W 20.5° | DIAMANA GT 70X

SRIXON ZX5 5-6 | MMT TAPER 105TX

SRIXON ZX7 7-PW | MMT TAPER 105TX

PING GLIDE 4.0 50°/54°/58° | MMT WEDGE 125TX

ODYSSEY TRI-HOT 5K SEVEN DB

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

Yes they are.

Did you end up buying an "L" neck Spider Tour?

Not yet but I’m leaning towards the silver version. There pretty cheap in new condition right now.

Has anyone converted their DJ or JD spider to an armlock successfully ??

Curious as trends on tour are leaning towards armlock and seems like the spider head is a great candidate for it.

I know they used to have a daddy long legs with a long shaft but for some reason, that head doesn't setup well for me.