Palm Desert here I come.....

I am very excited, and this is just the beginning, folks closed on a winter place that sits right on Monterrey CC in December, so always have a free place.

We are looking at doing a guys trip in November's before they head out for the winter, then visit with the family in February.

Thanks for all the tips on courses, you guys always come through.

Guys trip? Ok...I’m in.

Yup I’m also in. Enjoy the Desert, just got back and love Classic Club and Stadium. Also loved SilverRock although I don’t know what negative changes were made. Have fun!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatever you do stay south of the 10. It gets windy on that side....

Mountain course is really nice. Strongly suggest it. I play it every time I go out. Along with Stadium and Nicklaus tournent.

Desert Willow are really nice too. It's a fun 36 hole day of it's doable for you.

Was there with my 4 some last May. First day played Silverrock in the afternoon. Won't be going back and don't recommend it. The layout is just okay and the redesign is definitely negative on the back 9. Second day we played 36 at desert willow. Fantastic. Third day we played classic club in the morning, which was outstanding. We then played Indian wells in the afternoon. If you like resort courses, you'll like it. If you don't, you won't. We didn't care for it. It was well maintained and the conditions were excellent, but we didn't like the layout. The holes are kind of on top of each other.

Mountain course is really nice. Strongly suggest it. I play it every time I go out. Along with Stadium and Nicklaus tournent.

Desert Willow are really nice too. It's a fun 36 hole day of it's doable for you.

LOL, most of the courses are south.

Occasionally there can be some serious wind and you wouldn’t want to play at all, but in all my visits never anything that interferes with golf. Some of those folks think 10 mph is too much.

Classic Club is more exposed, but silly to say whatever you do don’t play it.

Occasionally there can be some serious wind and you wouldn't want to play at all, but in all my visits never anything that interferes with golf. Some of those folks think 10 mph is too much.

Classic Club is more exposed, but silly to say whatever you do don't play it.

I'm with you, wind is just one more thing that makes golf interesting. Most years we play Classic Club and Eagle Falls, and regularly go to Terra Lago, all of which are on the "wrong" side of I-10, all of which are fun to play, even in a nice strong wind.

I feel bad for those who simply won't play in wind, they should never go to Scotland, or Ireland, or Kohler WI, should probably avoid ALL seaside courses. Really, they should probably only play simulated golf indoors. (And please note, I'm largely kidding. Not completely, but mostly)

Great day at Stadium Course yesterday. I don’t play golf courses like this, and have never really experienced greens like that, took me a bit, some 3 putts. Ended up shooting 88, with a triple on 16 and 18. I was only 1 over on the back heading to 16, bit lost a few in the water coming in. What a fantastic experience. Day off today, heading to the vineyards in Temecula, Classic Club tomorrow morning. I am digging California

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T150 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Toulon Portland Garage 
ProV1x

I'm with you, wind is just one more thing that makes golf interesting. Most years we play Classic Club and Eagle Falls, and regularly go to Terra Lago, all of which are on the "wrong" side of I-10, all of which are fun to play, even in a nice strong wind.

I feel bad for those who simply won't play in wind, they should never go to Scotland, or Ireland, or Kohler WI, should probably avoid ALL seaside courses. Really, they should probably only play simulated golf indoors. (And please note, I'm largely kidding. Not completely, but mostly)

I think Classic Club had actually done a great job of routing the course to minimize the impact of the frequent 20+ MPH winds most often seen in the afternoons. The worst wind hole is definitely 17, that downhill par 3 straight against a 3 club headwind...followed by 12, the par 3 with right to left wind that pushes everything out to the lake on the left...

Good times though.

TaylorMade SIM Max 10.5* - Fujikura Ventus Black 7X
TaylorMade M5 15* - Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2TS X
Callaway 815 Alpha Hybrid 21* - Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 90TX
Miura Baby Blade 4-P - KBS $-Taper X
Miura Wedges - 52*, 56* - KBS $-Taper X
Callaway MD4 Tactical 60*
PXG Darkness Operator

Glad to hear you are having a fun trip! I had my first Palm Desert trip 2 weeks ago and loved every second of it. Although it was my first time playing it, I echo what most others say about Silverrock. I thought it was good- not great- and for the price, I think there are better options. Also echoing others, Desert Willow - Firecliff was awesome. My second favorite course of the trip (behind Stone Eagle). I booked online and paid $129 which I think is a little cheaper than their normal rate.

My wife and I retired to Palm Desert and bought a place at Desert Willow. There are two courses, Firecliff and Mountain View, and they are beautiful. What's interesting is that moat of the fairways were bulldozed out of the desert so that when you are in the fairway, you can't see any other holes. It's a great feeling with just you and the green up ahead.

Here's an example of Firecliff #5 woman's tee and #4 green in the background. See the sloped hill in the background? Most of the fairways have them so that if you block it out to the right, the ball's above your feet. Pull it left and the ball's below your feet. #4 and #5 are a little different as they are separated by a waste area so the two fairways make a combined valley.

Pic 2 is the driving range whiles pics 3 and 4 are #9 and #18. The courses are city owned and Palm Desert does a great job.

Actually may be some rain here Thursday, so moved to Friday at desert willow Mountain View . Had lunch at callaway vineyards today, classic club tomorrow morning

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

T150 6-G PX LZ
Toulon Portland Garage 
ProV1x

Classic club was amazing, what a golf course. I shot 90 but did not care. Short game is rusty, and these are not easy golf courses. My step dad had not played it before, said it was his favorite so far. This place is ridiculously awesome.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

T150 6-G PX LZ
Toulon Portland Garage 
ProV1x

Classic club was amazing, what a golf course. I shot 90 but did not care. Short game is rusty, and these are not easy golf courses. My step dad had not played it before, said it was his favorite so far. This place is ridiculously awesome.

Was it windy? I hear it's much tougher when the wind is up. Also that is why the PGA Tour doesn't go there anymore (Phil).

Was it windy? I hear it's much tougher when the wind is up. Also that is why the PGA Tour doesn't go there anymore (Phil).

A lot of those tour players don't like to be embarrassed by difficult conditions, that's one reason the Stadium Course at TPC West was off the rotation for a few years. Classic Club has plenty of width, so its not excessively demanding even in 2 or 3 club winds. I did play at Terra Lago in a good fresh breeze, and that course has some "single-file" fairways.

Occasionally there can be some serious wind and you wouldn’t want to play at all, but in all my visits never anything that interferes with golf. Some of those folks think 10 mph is too much.

Classic Club is more exposed, but silly to say whatever you do don’t play it.

Just one time I played north in had a 175 years party 3. Needed driver. Lol.

Not sure I used the words. Whatever you do don't play it.

Lol.

Occasionally there can be some serious wind and you wouldn't want to play at all, but in all my visits never anything that interferes with golf. Some of those folks think 10 mph is too much.

Classic Club is more exposed, but silly to say whatever you do don't play it.

Just one time I played north in had a 175 years party 3. Needed driver. Lol.

Not sure I used the words. Whatever you do don't play it.

Lol.

Well, I guess I didn't know how else we were supposed to take, "whatever you do stay south of the 10." Suggests to me, don't play north of the 10.

But I'm in a winter funk.

Desert willow mountain course was stunning, most beautiful golf course I have seen or played

LOL, I thought so, too at the time until . . . . . . . . . . . we played Firecliff on a later trip. Actually we would have been great with playing the Mountain Course again and planned on it, but the online and other reports that particular year were that birds were causing damage and making extensive deposits on the Mountain course and it should be avoided, so we played Firecliff. Each of the times we played there the conditions were terrific and the courses were in pristine condition and fun to play. And both are beautiful!

Just returned from a week in Palm Springs. The deluge on Thursday was quite an experience -- a few streets running perpendicular to the mountains were a 6-12 inches deep with fast running water. We were going to play LaQuinta Dunes that day, and lost that round, of course.

Our Friday destination was closed because of damage, so we scrambled and found a 1:52 tee time at Escena. Managed to get 17 in there. That was a nice find. Very playable Nicklaus design with the coolest clubhouse architecture.