Sergio disqualified from the Saudi tournament on the European tour

Here comes the Boom

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is an excerpt from Sergio:

Happy to be in my first @pgatour event of the season and have my brother on the bag again this year. I’ve obviously had some time to reflect, and want to again say I’m sorry to my fans and fellow competitors. What happened is not an example I want to set, and it's not who I truly am. I am an emotional player and while I believe that's one of my biggest strengths, it's also one of my biggest flaws. I’m focused on working hard to channel that emotion the correct way and to be the best me, learn from it and move forward. Thanks for all the support.

Sergio...I've got some bad news for you. The way you acted in Saudi Arabia is who you truly are. It may not be who you want to be, or who you feel you are...but actions are stronger than words, and you've acted in this manner way too many times in the past to excuse it as a one time outburst.

Personally, I don't really care. I'd rather see Sergio implode than watch some of these emotionless robots whom I can't identify.

This is an excerpt from Sergio:

Happy to be in my first @pgatour event of the season and have my brother on the bag again this year. I’ve obviously had some time to reflect, and want to again say I’m sorry to my fans and fellow competitors. What happened is not an example I want to set, and it's not who I truly am. I am an emotional player and while I believe that's one of my biggest strengths, it's also one of my biggest flaws. I’m focused on working hard to channel that emotion the correct way and to be the best me, learn from it and move forward. Thanks for all the support.

Sergio...I've got some bad news for you. The way you acted in Saudi Arabia is who you truly are. It may not be who you want to be, or who you feel you are...but actions are stronger than words, and you've acted in this manner way too many times in the past to excuse it as a one time outburst.

Personally, I don't really care. I'd rather see Sergio implode than watch some of these emotionless robots whom I can't identify.

i agree.... It is Sergio... and so what in a way ? now damaging greens is across the line..But the rest ..so what ? You dont ask a Leopard to be a mouse. I struggle with this idea of " growing up"... This idea that a man is to never lose his cool .. I cant think of a single man living or dead that i trust that i havent seen lose it at least once. The guy that never does is usually the one who owns a Van with windows on the side, or has a collection of animal skins in his living room.. if this game doesnt make you cuss yourself out once in a while, nothing will .

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Interesting that Sergio is partially claiming that a personal issue set him off. I want to believe him, but are his personal issues the reason for all of his blowups or just this one?

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping G425 Crossover 3, i20 4-PW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Interesting that Sergio is partially claiming that a personal issue set him off. I want to believe him, but are his personal issues the reason for all of his blowups or just this one?

In fairness in recent times Sergio has been infinitely better than he was in his early career so from that point of view I want to give him the benefit of the doubt.

The fact he addressed it on camera is a good thing and I'm going to take him at his word.

What he did was really bad but I've heard people saying unforgivable etc., that is extreme.

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

Yep. I watched the entire 1st round. And Sergio wasn’t putting well then. But he was joking with his entire group the whole day. Really light and casual. I commented as such at the beginning of this thread. Makes the blowup all the more curious. I have no issue believing that it was connected to something else. Would also possibly explain his brothers inability to calm him down. That’s also a curious part. Brothers wouldn’t fear being fired. There more politics there than you can shake a stick at. So his brother could have done everything short of tackling him and kept his job. Why didn’t he ? Or did he and it didn’t help ?

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Maybe I heard this or just thought of it: His bunker outburst was on one day and the green damage happened the next day. With his reasoning that he was going through some stuff spread into the second day? Sounds sketchy. Not really holding water with me.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

Maybe I heard this or just thought of it: His bunker outburst was on one day and the green damage happened the next day. With his reasoning that he was going through some stuff spread into the second day? Sounds sketchy. Not really holding water with me.

And that may be. Very hard to have a hard opinion for me with so little to go on. “ damaged 5 greens” could be anything. I agree any damage is good with me for DQ . But Its hard for me to judge past that with no real evidence , context etc. a DQ with this public embarrassment is about as harsh as I could vote for giving the mole hill of evidence we have.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Doesn't surprise me. Most blow ups are just a release of negative energy. Like road rage isn't really about the person driving too slow, it's usually problems with the wife or at work. That being said it's still not an excuse to take it out on other people.

IMO if you’re going to use some vague personal reason as an excuse for something like this, then you have an obligation to come out and say what that is. Otherwise, keep it to yourself and just own what you did.

IMO if you're going to use some vague personal reason as an excuse for something like this, then you have an obligation to come out and say what that is. Otherwise, keep it to yourself and just own what you did.

Haha. So if his wife had a miscarriage, you think he's obligated to tell you? That's some serious entitlement there.

IMO if you're going to use some vague personal reason as an excuse for something like this, then you have an obligation to come out and say what that is. Otherwise, keep it to yourself and just own what you did.

Nah, I don't think he owes you or me or any other random golf watching punter that sort of insight. If there are some deep personal issues going on then perhaps he owes it to talk to the European Tour head, but he certainly doesn't need to divulge it to the world.

If you have something really bothering you, do you tell the full office, clients, whatever business you might be in? Or do you keep yourself correct and let your line manager know something is up and you are working on it?