Membership to Club in Chicago

Bay1524

Does anyone have any info on Itasca CC? I’ve heard it’s a pretty solid value for the track. My options of clubs close in proximity are Itasca and Medinah. I’ve played Medinah enough to know when you want to get out for a quick 18 it’s impossible to do so. Also open to other suggestions that aren’t too far away. If distance wasn’t an issue I’d join Black Sheep as they have a killer deal right now.

Thanks!

Does anyone have any info on Itasca CC? I’ve heard it’s a pretty solid value for the track. My options of clubs close in proximity are Itasca and Medinah. I’ve played Medinah enough to know when you want to get out for a quick 18 it’s impossible to do so. Also open to other suggestions that aren’t too far away. If distance wasn’t an issue I’d join Black Sheep as they have a killer deal right now.

Thanks!

Black sheep is such a good deal since no one lives in Sugar Grove. Honestly though, it’s a super good deal. Their younger membership is as cheap as can be and you get a top 100 course

Thanks!

You are taking about apples and oranges of Itasca vs. Medinah. Also if you are talking about course #3 at Medinah yes that is busy, but they have two other solid courses there, especially course #1 renovated by Tom Doak.

Thanks!

You are taking about apples and oranges of Itasca vs. Medinah. Also if you are talking about course #3 at Medinah yes that is busy, but they have two other solid courses there, especially course #1 renovated by Tom Doak.

Yup I'm fully aware it's apple and oranges. I've played all 3 courses multiple times and utilize my friends who are members when I want to play there. I actually played #1 the first week it opened and really liked the renovation.

I guess as a small club where I can hop on whenever I like how does Itasca rate? I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons of a large club like Medinah and a small club like Itasca or comparable clubs in the area. I'm more inclined to the small club seeing as I have friends who are members who let me come out whenever I get the itch.

Hi Guys. Anyone looking for a club close to the city should check out Riverside. It’s 20 min west of the loop. They are doing a fall preview membership for full golf members (age 36 & up). You pay $2k and you are in with no other dues or fees for August, September, and October. If you like it and decide to stay, you pay the difference on the down stroke by 11/1 and you are in as a full member with no dues until 3/1/19. Great way to try a beautiful private club with no commitment. There is a version of the deal for younger guys as well. Check out this link for the details and PM me if you want to set up time to tour the club.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dj0kcniwogzvpdz/Preview%20membership%202018.pdf?dl=0

Well good question as I haven't played Itasca in quite some time. If you can get on Itasca anytime you want then why join? Use your money to get join medinah IMO. Although I would assume it is significantly more money. Medinah is a wonderful club and would be curious if it is really all that busy as all three courses are worthy of it's good reviews.

Talk to your member buddies, but I know a few and they say outside of Saturday mornings it is pretty open.

Well good question as I haven't played Itasca in quite some time. If you can get on Itasca anytime you want then why join? Use your money to get join medinah IMO. Although I would assume it is significantly more money. Medinah is a wonderful club and would be curious if it is really all that busy as all three courses are worthy of it's good reviews.

Talk to your member buddies, but I know a few and they say outside of Saturday mornings it is pretty open.

Flip it. I can play Medinah whenever I want thanks to my buddies. I’ve heard Itasca is a good club in the area, but just trying to hear from others if Itasca is worth joining. I’m not looking to drive more than 15 minutes to get to the club is why my options are limited between those two.

Location is key to any decision and you’re right to prioritize this in your decision. I don’t know Itasca enough to comment. What are the particulars for membership offers at Itasca right now?

Also, I payed Medinah last year and they were also at full membership (per the member), although this could have changed in the last year.

Couple of notes since I drive by the course every day:

1. The courses are generally not crowded. Even on the weekends, the groups are sporadic.

2. When they have professional tournaments, you lose your ability to play course #3 for awhile (Next year is the BMW Championship)

3. It is one of the most well known clubs in the U.S.; as a result, it is not cheap. I'm assuming you are aware since you know members, but just pointing it out.

I would have thought river forest might be close enough?

Is it not?

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone have recent info on the following:

Knollwood

Exmoor

Conway

Skokie

North Shore

We are on northwest side of city, easy access to 94 (and 90). Looking at Ridgemoor too, but wanted to see what the latest is at some of these. E.g. need a sponsor(s) or not, process, junior option, etc.

Happy to discuss over PM if easier. Thanks.

• 4 months later...

If you live near downtown or on the north/northwest side, Ridgemoor CC would likely be the closest. I checked into membership last Spring, and if I recall, the initial drop was ~30K payable across three years I believe. Of course, there are the monthly dues and food and beverage minimums.

Any idea on pricing for members under 30 years old?

Junior executive(under 35) is still a 50k downstroke but you can spread it out until you hit 35.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys. For Jr Executives, Riverside is $5k if you are under 31, $10k if you are 32-33, and $15k for ages 34-35. Full membership is $20k and starts at 36. For Jr Executives, you do not have to pay the difference when you turn 36 like you do at most clubs and you pay 1/2 dues until you turn 36. They are also doing a deal this spring where you can try the club until 6/1 with no down stroke. Just pay dues and usage and then you pay the down stroke 6/1 if you like the club and want to stay. Good way to try out the private club experience before you commit upfront cash. Riverside is 8 miles west of the loop, and most of the members are from the city or the near west suburbs. PM me if you would like more info or want to set up a tour.

• 5 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 years later...

@kmbean Fellow Illini—did you end up joining anywhere and if so, have you found it worth the expense? Have looked at a lot of the memberships and may pull the trigger at some point soon. Kemper's membership looks appealing since from what I understand it's probably the most challenging/interesting layout compared to other clubs in the NW suburbs area. 

17 hours ago, orange14 said:

@kmbean Fellow Illini—did you end up joining anywhere and if so, have you found it worth the expense? Have looked at a lot of the memberships and may pull the trigger at some point soon. Kemper's membership looks appealing since from what I understand it's probably the most challenging/interesting layout compared to other clubs in the NW suburbs area. 

Hi Orange14!  I didn’t end up joining a private club, I unfortunately had some life events happen that affected my ability to play golf on a regular basis.  From the research I did in 2020 Kemper made the most sense to me and offered what I thought was the greatest bang for your buck.  I also liked Crystal Lake CC quite a bit. Things could be very different a few years later I’m not sure how the market changed…

Edited by kmbean
  • Like 1

Kemper member here. Used to be a member at Cress Creek in Naperville. 

Have played Naperville CC, Stonebridge, Itasca, The Grove, and Rich Harvest. Have inquired at one point or another at Black Sheep, Twin Orchards, Royal Melbourne, and Inverness. 

Happy to share info here if this is still active. 

So many options… 

1. What do you want to spend?
2. How far will you drive?
3. How much value is the social scene / pool vs Golf?

Edited by Walkerdb7

Epic Max LS - HZRDUS SMOKE iM10

Epic Max 7W  - HZRDUS SMOKE iM10
4- P  T100S LA Golf A Series - BB and F Ferrule OG Squall
Raw Vokey SM9 50F, 54D, 58M S400 - BB and F Ferrule OG Squall

Vokey 64 Jimmy Walker S400 - BB and F Ferrule

Cameron Futura X11.5 - BGT Shaft - Super Stroke Flatso 1.0

@Walkerdb7 – Thanks for chiming in here... Kemper seems most attainable for a junior membership and I'm pretty much just interested in quality golf at this point. Meeting F&B minimums at other CCs in the area would be difficult or frankly just something I wouldn't want to worry about, so it's nice seeing Kemper doesn't have that.

A couple general questions...

- Have you enjoyed your membership so far and based on your experience, would you join again or consider a different club instead?

- Is there anything you wish you knew before joining?

- How tricky of a course is Kemper and do you get tired of playing it? Any comparable courses in the area from a conditions / layout standpoint?

Edited by orange14

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/19/2023 at 9:24 PM, orange14 said:

@Walkerdb7 – Thanks for chiming in here... Kemper seems most attainable for a junior membership and I'm pretty much just interested in quality golf at this point. Meeting F&B minimums at other CCs in the area would be difficult or frankly just something I wouldn't want to worry about, so it's nice seeing Kemper doesn't have that.

A couple general questions...

- Have you enjoyed your membership so far and based on your experience, would you join again or consider a different club instead?

- How tricky of a course is Kemper and do you get tired of playing it? Any comparable courses in the area from a conditions / layout standpoint?

Kemper 100%, actually left tried a Covid deal somewhere else, and came back

No, it's the most straight forward club I have heard off. It's very straight forward with pricing, no hidden fees

It's had a men's and lady's major. It's a beast. It beats you up round after round. I don't have a good comparable, Cog Hill? Not sure

• Like 1

Epic Max LS - HZRDUS SMOKE iM10

Epic Max 7W  - HZRDUS SMOKE iM10
4- P  T100S LA Golf A Series - BB and F Ferrule OG Squall
Raw Vokey SM9 50F, 54D, 58M S400 - BB and F Ferrule OG Squall

Vokey 64 Jimmy Walker S400 - BB and F Ferrule

Cameron Futura X11.5 - BGT Shaft - Super Stroke Flatso 1.0

On 10/11/2023 at 12:37 PM, Walkerdb7 said:

Kemper 100%, actually left tried a Covid deal somewhere else, and came back

No, it's the most straight forward club I have heard off. It's very straight forward with pricing, no hidden fees

It's had a men's and lady's major. It's a beast. It beats you up round after round. I don't have a good comparable, Cog Hill? Not sure

Add $100 a week for the OB Pro V1s if you join Kemper

🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Bringing this up to date for the original poster.  As of 2023, most decent clubs in the Chicagoland area have gone up in cost and difficulty to get in.  Growing up in the north shore suburbs I am familiar with the realities currently of many north shore clubs.  Evanston is a great club with a lot of history, but will be at the starting gate cost wise - figure $75,000 initiation.  As you move further up the north shore the costs (and clientele) will elevate.  Westmoreland, Indian Hill, North Shore, Skokie, Northmoor, Exmoor, Oswentsia etc. will all have initiation fees at $100,000 - $125,000 plus depending.  In addition, most of these will also require multiple member sponsors and an interview in some cases before they consider your membership.  

Dues structures will vary from club to club, but figure roughly $1,000 - $1,600 per month all in.  Keep in mind however, that most of these clubs are big supporters of the Evans Scholar program.  This means that outside of restricted times (after 3 pm weekday as an example) you will be required to take a caddy and pay additional fees every time you golf. 

Just food for thought and hope this might help area golfers with their decisions.  

• 1 month later...
On 10/26/2023 at 12:03 PM, Jgolfer99 said:

Bringing this up to date for the original poster.  As of 2023, most decent clubs in the Chicagoland area have gone up in cost and difficulty to get in.  Growing up in the north shore suburbs I am familiar with the realities currently of many north shore clubs.  Evanston is a great club with a lot of history, but will be at the starting gate cost wise - figure $75,000 initiation.  As you move further up the north shore the costs (and clientele) will elevate.  Westmoreland, Indian Hill, North Shore, Skokie, Northmoor, Exmoor, Oswentsia etc. will all have initiation fees at $100,000 - $125,000 plus depending.  In addition, most of these will also require multiple member sponsors and an interview in some cases before they consider your membership.  

Dues structures will vary from club to club, but figure roughly $1,000 - $1,600 per month all in.  Keep in mind however, that most of these clubs are big supporters of the Evans Scholar program.  This means that outside of restricted times (after 3 pm weekday as an example) you will be required to take a caddy and pay additional fees every time you golf. 

Just food for thought and hope this might help area golfers with their decisions.  

To tack on to this, most clubs now have a full membership and require you to be a Social member as you wait for full time membership to open up.  That means limited time on the course until you convert to a full member.  Have some friends / colleagues at Ruth Lake in Hinsdale and North Shore in Glenview and their both full, and you can expect a min initiation of $85k.  I also heard that Merit Club in Libertyville is around $70k (but doesn't have the family amenities like pool and the like, its a pure golf CC).

Ping G400 Max 9 degree - Kuro Kage Dual Core TiNi 60X
Ping G400 3 wood - UST Mamiya VTS Silver SX
TaylorMade UDI 3 iron - GD AD DI 95X
Titleist 718 AP2 4-PW - Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52, 56, 60 - DG
Evnroll ER2