2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Morning Drive...What Happened?

DRRicks

I personally like Shackelford when it comes to course architecture and bits like that. I haven't been able to watch entire episodes or it may be too early in the season. I wish they would have segments with tour players either in studio or out at tournaments. Wouldn't mind to see more in depth on that topic or the tours in general.

Driver: PXG Black Ops Tour-1 10.5deg - Tour AD TP 6S

Fairway Wood: PXG Black Ops 0311 15deg - Tour AD VR 7S
Hybrid: PXG Black Ops 0311 19deg - Tour AD DI Hyb 85S
Irons: PXG Gen6 0311P 4-GW - DG Mid 115
Wedges: Mizuno T24 54 & 58 S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 / Never Compromise Dinero Prototype 

Ball: Srixon ZStar Diamond (Other testing in progress)

I’d be interested in seeing the handicaps of all the non-professional on air Golf Channel personnel. I mean if your job is being on television sounding like you have some level of golf expertise, shouldn’t you be able to at least play to a moderately respectable level? (Ginella, Adams, Rossaforte, Diaz, Hack, LT, etc...). I’d define respectable as 10 or under, but that’s just me.

Personally, I think you can be good at reporting/presenting/hosting without having to be good at the game. For what those guys/gals are asked to do I believe they can get by with love and knowledge of the sport. For the most part they are professional journalists and therein lie their strengths!

Having said that...I recall a comment or two about Damon striving to break 80. Also, from the swings I've seen of Matt Ginella from his travel segments, he appears to be a pretty salty player...I'm guessing single digit to scratch.

I’ve always thought Ginella had a pretty good looking swing too, but I’ve heard him say he’s around an eight.

Not sure we can take Ginella's Handicap too seriously. He hates the system and says it's full of cheaters. He got into a twitter battle with someone over this a couple of years ago.

With that said, nice swing and he plays a ton, so not sure how he couldn't be a single digit.

I’d be interested in seeing the handicaps of all the non-professional on air Golf Channel personnel. I mean if your job is being on television sounding like you have some level of golf expertise, shouldn’t you be able to at least play to a moderately respectable level? (Ginella, Adams, Rossaforte, Diaz, Hack, LT, etc...). I’d define respectable as 10 or under, but that’s just me.

Personally, I think you can be good at reporting/presenting/hosting without having to be good at the game. For what those guys/gals are asked to do I believe they can get by with love and knowledge of the sport. For the most part they are professional journalists and therein lie their strengths!

Having said that...I recall a comment or two about Damon striving to break 80. Also, from the swings I've seen of Matt Ginella from his travel segments, he appears to be a pretty salty player...I'm guessing single digit to scratch.

I’ve always thought Ginella had a pretty good looking swing too, but I’ve heard him say he’s around an eight.

Not sure we can take Ginella's Handicap too seriously. He hates the system and says it's full of cheaters. He got into a twitter battle with someone over this a couple of years ago.

With that said, nice swing and he plays a ton, so not sure how he couldn't be a single digit.

I agree, and interesting about the deal with the handicap system.

RDD, Paige, Damon - would enjoy playing golf with any of them. Not slighting Gary or anyone else, those are just the folks I think of on Morning Drive. I wish Nobilo was 100%, he'd be a blast and I kind of think Brandel may be more fun than we might think, who knows. Don't care about their handicaps, just like I don't with anyone else I play with.

RDD, Paige, Damon - would enjoy playing golf with any of them. Not slighting Gary or anyone else, those are just the folks I think of on Morning Drive. I wish Nobilo was 100%, he'd be a blast and I kind of think Brandel may be more fun than we might think, who knows. Don't care about their handicaps, just like I don't with anyone else I play with.

I’d play with any of the too, i sure they’re all good to play with. Now on the issue if they would play with me......well that’s another story.

I bet Damon is a kick on the course.

It seems as if the entire content on the Golf channel is suffering. Quite a bit of repeat showings of lame golf movies.

Not sure what other filler they could use. What other movies or show would you recommend?

While not a direct reply to your question about “filler,” How about some more original new content shows? I would love to see a weekly in-depth golf architecture show hosted by Geoff Shackleford where he goes to courses, explains routing, breaks down holes, interviews architects, superintendents, and caddies, addresses environmental and sustainability issues, etc.

That might go beyond how hard Shackleford wants to work.

RDD you got quite the evil eye a few minutes ago. Had to rewind it a couple times. That was hilarious.

Srixon ZX7/Cobra Radspeed XB

ZX 3w Riptide/Cobra radspeed motore F3

ZX 19/22 hy Riptide 

Cobra FT 5-Pw,Aw KBS/ Cobra F9 5-pw,aw 

Cbx ZC 54/Cbx FF 58 Dgold

Cobra sport 45/Cleveland elevado

Srixon QST/Titleist Pro V1 or whatever urethane balls I may find 

Reminds me of an old episode of Home Improvement with the “evil eye”!

I missed that one, what was said that earned the look from Chantelle?

She actually agreed with RDD. He listed about 7 or 8 incidents where the USGA butchered something or another in recent years. DJ at Oakmont, Nordqvist at CordeValle, Shinnecock on Saturday to name a few. I think the look she was giving was more in-line with her frustration with the USGA rather than disagreement with RDD.

Their take was the USGA fumbled this ruling and set precedent going forward for amateurs to circumvent the rules by using youth as an excuse. It opens a can of worms. They faulted the USGA for the whole mess and they are right to do so in my opinion. Amanda Blumenherst disagreed with Chantelle and RDD. She thought the USGA made the right call with Li.

He rolled his eye's at something AB was saying just as the camera was going to her directly. It was very quick so maybe he was still doing that after the camera panned away as she was talking lol. Either way it was pretty funny. He's a good fit for a show that can be pretty stale at time's.

Srixon ZX7/Cobra Radspeed XB

ZX 3w Riptide/Cobra radspeed motore F3

ZX 19/22 hy Riptide 

Cobra FT 5-Pw,Aw KBS/ Cobra F9 5-pw,aw 

Cbx ZC 54/Cbx FF 58 Dgold

Cobra sport 45/Cleveland elevado

Srixon QST/Titleist Pro V1 or whatever urethane balls I may find 

Reminds me of an old episode of Home Improvement with the “evil eye”!

I missed that one, what was said that earned the look from Chantelle?

She actually agreed with RDD. He listed about 7 or 8 incidents where the USGA butchered something or another in recent years. DJ at Oakmont, Nordqvist at CordeValle, Shinnecock on Saturday to name a few. I think the look she was giving was more in-line with her frustration with the USGA rather than disagreement with RDD.

Their take was the USGA fumbled this ruling and set precedent going forward for amateurs to circumvent the rules by using youth as an excuse. It opens a can of worms. They faulted the USGA for the whole mess and they are right to do so in my opinion. Amanda Blumenherst disagreed with Chantelle and RDD. She thought the USGA made the right call with Li.

Thanks. I did hear that part, just missed the look! I think Amanda missed the boat on that one.

I guess I’m not seeIng the problem. As I understand it the USGA gave her a warning and allowed her to retain her amateur status. Isn’t this the kind of result and common sense we want to see when there is a rules breach and there is an opportunity for mitigating or other factors to come into play?

Probably more facts than they are releasing the parties know about, but even the ones we know seem to suggest this was okay. Also serves as a reminder/deterrent/caution to other parents out there if approached.

I guess I’m not seeIng the problem. As I understand it the USGA gave her a warning and allowed her to retain her amateur status. Isn’t this the kind of result and common sense we want to see when there is a rules breach and there is an opportunity for mitigating or other factors to come into play?

Probably more facts than they are releasing the parties know about, but even the ones we know seem to suggest this was okay. Also serves as a reminder/deterrent/caution to other parents out there if approached.

I agree. USGA has made some mistakes which they need to own. But some of the stuff they get blamed for isn’t their fault.

I agree. USGA has made some mistakes which they need to own. But some of the stuff they get blamed for isn’t their fault.

I totally understand just mentioning “USGA” is explosive these days - I’m still pissed they basically came up with new rules IMO as more ill-considered PR than serving any real purpose so I can’t fault anyone for jumping on them.

Unless she really wasn’t paid for it (and I honestly don’t believe that), then I diasagree. Her parents know the rules, and I’m guessing she does too. It’s not like that’s an obscure rule that only a few people know about. It a big one, and if she did get paid, then they’ve just made a mockery of the basic rule of being an amateur.

I believe the problem that the USGA had with Lucy Li was where there was a split second scene in the Apple commercial where it appeared that Lucy had taken her stance and her caddie was standing behind her...

Callaway 2015 Great Big Bertha 10.5
Callaway Great Big Bertha ll 3W & 5W
Callaway Steelhead lll 9 wood 
Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4/E
Cleveland 588 TA 51* & 56* 
Ray Cook Blue Goose 

@RDD...

Do you know if Lauren is into balding guys in their 60's whose waists and handicap are the same?

Asking for a friend.

Lauren says she already has a dad!

Oh just not nice.

100% accurate...just not nice!

Sorry DP, I’ve heard my FIL use that line so much I just thought it was appropriate here!

Unless she really wasn’t paid for it (and I honestly don’t believe that), then I diasagree. Her parents know the rules, and I’m guessing she does too. It’s not like that’s an obscure rule that only a few people know about. It a big one, and if she did get paid, then they’ve just made a mockery of the basic rule of being an amateur.

I'm going by the facts stated in the ruling release, and USGA indicating warnings were the 100% (separate statement the article vs. the ruling) solution before.

I just watched the actual ad, and a pox upon me for not watching before commenting. I admit complete and utter skepticism that golf was basically some random outcome of the photo shoot, that it wasn't known golf would be the focus and they didn't know anything about it's release or content until, well I'm not sure how they found out. I guess, assuming my skepticism is valid, Apple and the Li family had their stories all sewn up tight.

Given she was a minor, and I fault Apple and her parents for the rules violation, I'm still okay with the result given her age and the past precedent. Maybe the USGA was in a bit of a box and no hard evidence (and maybe everything was 100% as set out in the press release, that could still be the case).

Here’s my gripe Hawk. I just was offered an opportunity to be a First assistant at a local course. I’m obviously not a pro, just an average handicap player. I didn’t want it because a big portion of the job was teaching, mostly juniors. In my mind, that’s a clear cut violation and I want to continue to be able to play in my chop handicap tournaments, as well hopefully this year some bigger am events.

If I had taken that job, would it have been a warning?

Here’s my gripe Hawk. I just was offered an opportunity to be a First assistant at a local course. I’m obviously not a pro, just an average handicap player. I didn’t want it because a big portion of the job was teaching, mostly juniors. In my mind, that’s a clear cut violation and I want to continue to be able to play in my chop handicap tournaments, as well hopefully this year some bigger am events.

I wouldn’t want to bet on that, reading the rule, more uncertainty than I’d want hanging out there for sure.

I wouldn’t want to bet on that, reading the rule, more uncertainty than I’d want hanging out there for sure.

I agree, likely no one would ever care, but this year I’m not 400 miles away from every legimate tournament and I would like to play some. Some nobody like me would be the one they enforced the rule on.