2019 MLB Thread

fillwelix

Now that pitchers and catchers have reported, what the h*ll is going on with Manfred Machaydo and Bruce Hooper???

WITB
Taylormade SIM2 10.5* Ventus Black 6X
Taylormade SIM 19* AD-DI 7X

Taylormade Stealth 3h Ventus Blue 9X
Mizuno MP-69 4-PW Modus 120 S
Vokey SM9 50 - 55 - 60 DGTI S400 

Scotty Cameron GoLo 6

Neither Machado or Harper wants to sign first. Possibly the one who signs second gets the better contract. That said, a 10 year $300 million contract is HUGE and a big risk let alone a huge hit against the salary cap. If either were looking at a 5 or 6 year contract at $150-$190 million then maybe one or both would be signed now. Reports have been made that both have huge contract offers. Washington reportedly has offered 10 year $300+ million. Machado is supposed to have offers in excess of $220 million for 8 years or so (Yankees and White Sox). I think both are waiting for the other to blink.

Personally, I wouldn't sign Machado for a long term contract because, as talented as he is, his 2018 post season comments and manner of playing showed me a lot about his character, or lack of it. With regard to Harper, he's cocky but he can back it up and he plays hard and wants to win. Could a surprise team be waiting in the wings? Chicago Cubs maybe?

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

Neither Machado or Harper wants to sign first. Possibly the one who signs second gets the better contract. That said, a 10 year $300 million contract is HUGE and a big risk let alone a huge hit against the salary cap. If either were looking at a 5 or 6 year contract at $150-$190 million then maybe one or both would be signed now. Reports have been made that both have huge contract offers. Washington reportedly has offered 10 year $300+ million. Machado is supposed to have offers in excess of $220 million for 8 years or so (Yankees and White Sox). I think both are waiting for the other to blink.

Personally, I wouldn't sign Machado for a long term contract because, as talented as he is, his 2018 post season comments and manner of playing showed me a lot about his character, or lack of it. With regard to Harper, he's cocky but he can back it up and he plays hard and wants to win. Could a surprise team be waiting in the wings? Chicago Cubs maybe?

I think the Cubs are definitely out, I honestly think they should really consider a 1-3 year deal from a contending team. They both want to win rings, and their best chance is to play with a contending team for 3 years, then change to whatever the next contending team is (assuming they don't Chris Davis themselves and no injuries) instead of sticking through a potential rebuild with a team after their window is up

WITB

Scotty Cameron GoLo 6

I would doubt either will agree to a 1-3 year deal. If Harper would consider this then this would bode well for a lot of teams who don't want to or can't absorb a monster contract. The Cubs would go from long shot to a serious possibility in this scenario. The Cubs are very close to getting back in the World Series and, if healthy, have nearly all the tools to do it right now. I am certain the Ricketts family would absorb a luxury tax hit for a year or two to get a piece that makes the possibility of winning a WS very legitimate. The Cubs have averaged 96 wins per season the last 4 years, been to the playoffs each of the past 4 years, been to 3 NLCS and winning one WS. With a Kris Bryant, Yu Darvish and Brandon Morrow being hurt for much of the season and contributing little the Cubs still managed to win 95 games last year before running out of gas. Add a Bryce Harper to this line up and they will be a bigger offensive threat. Keep in mind that Kris Bryant and Bryce Harper are best friends who love to spend time with each other, as do their wives with each other.

That said, I doubt either Harper of Machado agree to a short term deal. I don't include Machado in the Cubs scenario because 1) they don't need him and 2) I think his character and attitude would be detrimental in the Cubs clubhouse. The 2018 post season showed how poor of an attitude Machado has. I would guess Harper will either sign with Washington at 10 years/$325 million or with the Phillies at 8 years/$260 million (give or take a handful of $millions).

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

I'm not sure Machado is really that bad of a character. Sure, the postseason soured a lot of people outside of the team, but he is almost universally liked in the MLB by players and was a positive influence in both Baltimore and LA inside the clubhouse. I don't get the whole idea that he was great in these other clubhouses but all of a sudden he'd be a negative influence in another?

WITB

Scotty Cameron GoLo 6

What are the chances that one or both of these guys will sit out part of the season in an effort to get what they're looking for: something more than the Giancarlo Stanton contract -- $325M over 10 yr.? WE saw in previous off-season's an instance where the first offer was the best and turned down, only to sign later for less.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

What are the chances that one or both of these guys will sit out part of the season in an effort to get what they're looking for: something more than the Giancarlo Stanton contract -- $325M over 10 yr.? WE saw in previous off-season's an instance where the first offer was the best and turned down, only to sign later for less.

Problem is Stanton's contract is over 13 years averaging $25 million annually. Any team signing either one of these players, or any player, for 13 years is crazy. Personally I would not offer a 10 year contract unless the player is 22 or 23 and already one of the best in the MLB. Being 26/27 is risky and may work out in the end or it could be terrible. Any player approaching 30 being offered a 10 year contract must have out clauses held by the team after year 5 or 6.

Problem is Stanton's contract is over 13 years averaging $25 million annually. Any team signing either one of these players, or any player, for 13 years is crazy. Personally I would not offer a 10 year contract unless the player is 22 or 23 and already one of the best in the MLB. Being 26/27 is risky and may work out in the end or it could be terrible. Any player approaching 30 being offered a 10 year contract must have out clauses held by the team after year 5 or 6.

That's the rub here, they're looking for 8-10 years and just aren't going to get the "North of Stanton" 325+ contracts they're looking for. If they want a high AAV they're more likely to get that with a short term contract and take the risk of having to re-sign in 3 or 4 years

WITB

Scotty Cameron GoLo 6

I think they've both got the same agent (Boras)?

A ten year contract is a risk for anyone, but with Harper especially you don't know what you're getting. He's had one Trout-like year and a bunch of decidedly sub-Trout years.

If Trout was a FA, he'd get 10 years/$350M in a heartbeat.

That's the rub here, they're looking for 8-10 years and just aren't going to get the "North of Stanton" 325+ contracts they're looking for. If they want a high AAV they're more likely to get that with a short term contract and take the risk of having to re-sign in 3 or 4 years

Agreed!

A ten year contract is a risk for anyone, but with Harper especially you don't know what you're getting. He's had one Trout-like year and a bunch of decidedly sub-Trout years.

They have different agents. Bryce Harper's agent is Scott Boras. Manny Machado's agent is Dan Lozano.

With regard to Trout ..... keeping in the mind frame of professional sports and MLB, Trout is worthy of a 10 year/$350M contract. He's the best player in baseball today.

They have different agents. Bryce Harper's agent is Scott Boras. Manny Machado's agent is Dan Lozano.

With regard to Trout ..... keeping in the mind frame of professional sports and MLB, Trout is worthy of a 10 year/$350M contract. He's the best player in baseball today.

Sorry, my mistake. I was sure I'd heard on a sportstalk show I listen to that Boras was the agent for. Maybe they were mistaken too.

Agreed on Trout. Not just the best player today, but on track to be one of the five or so best players ever. A few years ago there was a Harper vs Trout debate, but that is no longer a serious discussion.

Now I'd love to see Trout as the center fielder for the Chicago Cubs!!!

I'm not sure Machado is really that bad of a character. Sure, the postseason soured a lot of people outside of the team, but he is almost universally liked in the MLB by players and was a positive influence in both Baltimore and LA inside the clubhouse. I don't get the whole idea that he was great in these other clubhouses but all of a sudden he'd be a negative influence in another?

Im with you, I think its severely overrated that Machado is all of the sudden some malcontent that is a cancer. There hasn't been a peep about him being a bad team mate prior, and he really only admitted to doing what about 95% of MLB dudes do. People forget that Papelbon straight choked Harper in the dugout for not hustling lol. Machado is a stud, and Id easily take him on the Giants and not think twice about it. Harper to me, is far more hype without the consistent performance. Alot of low low valleys to go with some high peaks for Bryce, but its always going to be about waiting for that potential to snap into place and put it all together.

TSR2  | Original One Mini |Apex UW 19

Nike Vapor Speed 4i | 5-GW T100S Black 

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

WITB

Trout is literally on track to be Mantle-esque, wouldn't be surprised if he get 10-12 years at $320-380

WITB

Scotty Cameron GoLo 6

Trout is literally on track to be Mantle-esque, wouldn't be surprised if he get 10-12 years at $320-380

Trout is the dude you make that deal and dont worry about it. He's probably one of maybe like a handful that a ridiculous deal like that is understandable. For as good as he's been, it still seems he is underrated due to being out of sight out of minds at times with the Angels.

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

WITB

Im with you, I think its severely overrated that Machado is all of the sudden some malcontent that is a cancer. There hasn't been a peep about him being a bad team mate prior, and he really only admitted to doing what about 95% of MLB dudes do. People forget that Papelbon straight choked Harper in the dugout for not hustling lol. Machado is a stud, and Id easily take him on the Giants and not think twice about it. Harper to me, is far more hype without the consistent performance. Alot of low low valleys to go with some high peaks for Bryce, but its always going to be about waiting for that potential to snap into place and put it all together.

I was ok with him too Bubba, until the playoffs. I think a guy can be an a** and still get the money if he always plays hard. Machado’s me first attitude and lackluster effort was eye opening for me. As a Dodger fan, I’m more than happy to get Seager back and let Machado move on.

As a Yankee fan, I just want Harper's bat and the short porch to get to know each other a little bit, you know, see where the evening takes them

WITB

Scotty Cameron GoLo 6

As a Yankee fan, I just want Harper's bat and the short porch to get to know each other a little bit, you know, see where the evening takes them

Harper going to the Yankees means he has to shave off his beard. I wonder if he's going to like that. :D

Harper going to the Yankees means he has to shave off his beard. I wonder if he's going to like that. :D

He shaved his beard last season once...it was the series the Yankees played in DC........

WITB

Scotty Cameron GoLo 6

He shaved his beard last season once...it was the series the Yankees played in DC........

That must have been an informal interview. :D

Trout is the dude you make that deal and dont worry about it. He's probably one of maybe like a handful that a ridiculous deal like that is understandable. For as good as he's been, it still seems he is underrated due to being out of sight out of minds at times with the Angels.

The Angels are going to Dan Marino him so hard it's almost sad

WITB

Scotty Cameron GoLo 6

Trout + Ohtani and they still suck. They're the Edmonton Oilers of MLB.

Maybe. However the possibility of Trout returning home to the Philadelphia area (southern New Jersey) and that the Phillies are trying to become very relevant again might make this an enticing deal. It seems as if Philadelphia has "Stupid Money" to offer so maybe wait a couple of years and offer Trout the Mantle-esque salary to play in Philadelphia. I believe that the days of automatic long term/ultra high contracts might slow down a bit as the past two years seems to be proving this. That said, Mike Trout is a bona fied talent. If anyone commands a long term/ultra high contract it will be Trout.

Maybe. However the possibility of Trout returning home to the Philadelphia area (southern New Jersey) and that the Phillies are trying to become very relevant again might make this an enticing deal. It seems as if Philadelphia has "Stupid Money" to offer so maybe wait a couple of years and offer Trout the Mantle-esque salary to play in Philadelphia. I believe that the days of automatic long term/ultra high contracts might slow down a bit as the past two years seems to be proving this. That said, Mike Trout is a bona fied talent. If anyone commands a long term/ultra high contract it will be Trout.

Philly has a lot of young talent. I don’t know how long Trout is signed for, but if the Angels are out of it, would they ever consider trading him and getting something.

I have a hard time understanding why any team pays big money for any player these days.

Might as well stock the roster with AAA studs and take your chances.

Regardless, the product on the field is hardly worth watching.

College baseball is where it's at IMHO.

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

Philly has a lot of young talent. I don’t know how long Trout is signed for, but if the Angels are out of it, would they ever consider trading him and getting something.

Trout isn't a FA yet, but apparently he has talked with the Angels about an 8 year deal for 350-375 Million, 40 Million+ AAV, no trade clause, sorry Philly

https://twitter.com/...678419393794048

WITB

Scotty Cameron GoLo 6

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/26031051/manny-machado-san-diego-padres-reach-deal

Padres it is for Machado and he got his 10y 300m deal, opt out after 5 years. I assume Bryce signing is incoming here shortly.

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

WITB