AT&T Pebble Beach

flushem

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, that FIGJAM meme has been over since the early part of the century. If CBS and the tournament committee wanted to finish on Sunday, they could have declared the pro-am leader on Saturday night to be the winner of that part of the tournament. We would have been cheated out of replays of Larry the Cable Guy, but I could live without ever seeing him again.

All this arguing from both sides, all are absolutely positive they're right, and we still don't know what the guy shot.

I'm not positive, but I watched the guy hit several shots, AND watched his short game. If he's a 15.8, like I said, I'm a U.S. Open Champion.

And if you guys don't think that a 10 to 20% of that field isn't sandbagging the PHOCK out of their games for a year coming into that tournament, well ... I just ... don't understand that. Certainly not from anyone who has ever played a big (or even semi-big) net event like a Calcutta or something.

(edited to lower my percentage)

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

Man, that FIGJAM meme has been over since the early part of the century. If CBS and the tournament committee wanted to finish on Sunday, they could have declared the pro-am leader on Saturday night to be the winner of that part of the tournament. We would have been cheated out of replays of Larry the Cable Guy, but I could live without ever seeing him again.

that pro am brings out the worst AMs ... like a who’s who in Dbags lead by Bill Murray.

All this arguing from both sides, all are absolutely positive they're right, and we still don't know what the guy shot.

???????

I was just thinkin the same thing, LMAO?

Stay well Brother?

Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

I have no idea if the poor guy was sandbagging or not, but I do know 13 seemed about right based on what I saw of his move. On the other side of the coin, who here thinks Carlton is a legit 3?

Alfonso Ribeiro ("Carlton" from "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air") is, indeed, somewhere between a 1 and a 3 most of the time. I play in a tournament at Lakeside Golf Club (his home course) every year called The Kelly Cup. Until last year, after a major renovation, tree removal, and rough lowering, legit 4 handicaps would shoot 92 in this tournament, which was set up like a U.S. Open: 3 - 4 inch rough, greens at 12 - 13, and tucked pins on tiny, tiny greens. Miss a green, and if you don't have a pro-level short game, and you're making bogey or double. It was brutal.

Alfonso shot 73(?) a few years back in one of his rounds when the course was easily playing to a rating of 75 or 76. Think he followed that up with an 81 or something, but he can actually score. His move isn't the most text book, but he's a legit low(ish) handicapper. He's currently a 3.8, but has been as low as a 1 if I remember correctly.

It's really strange to see so many posters jumping to the sandbagger conclusion with very little info. Do you not understand how team golf works?

First place: Casey was -16, the team was -34. So Colleran helped 18 strokes

Second place: Clark was -2, his team was -32. So Rooney helped 30 strokes

Third place: Teater was -4, his team was -30. So Smith helped 26 strokes

Fourth place: Schenk was -4, his team was -27. So Romano helped 24 strokes

So tell me again why you think Colleran is a sandbagger. Or is my math wrong?

So it must be that Romano has us all faked out with his ineptitude? :) The player that makes all net pars will never be called a bagger in best ball. The erratic player that makes a couple gross birds, a handful of net birds, and a bunch of bogeys and worse will always be under scrutiny. A friend of mine one shot 77 while making 7 gross birdies as an 8 handicap. Does that make him a sandbagger?

I play with a guy who is a 13. He makes way more birds than me, I am a 8. He hits it 300 yards, I am much shorter. I might play several rounds without a birdie or a double bogey, he usually makes 2-3 birdies and doubles and "others" a round.

THAT is a guy I would enjoy playing with!!

He is great in a scramble.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

It's really strange to see so many posters jumping to the sandbagger conclusion with very little info. Do you not understand how team golf works?

So maybe Joe Don Rooney is the biggest bagger.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

So it must be that Romano has us all faked out with his ineptitude? :) The player that makes all net pars will never be called a bagger in best ball. The erratic player that makes a couple gross birds, a handful of net birds, and a bunch of bogeys and worse will always be under scrutiny. A friend of mine one shot 77 while making 7 gross birdies as an 8 handicap. Does that make him a sandbagger?

I play with a guy who is a 13. He makes way more birds than me, I am a 8. He hits it 300 yards, I am much shorter. I might play several rounds without a birdie or a double bogey, he usually makes 2-3 birdies and doubles and "others" a round.

THAT is a guy I would enjoy playing with!!

He is great in a scramble.

when i was about 17 or 18 I remember shooting 7 birdies and scoring 79!...

...one of the most enjoyable rounds of my life!!

iirc I was an 11 hdcp at the time..

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

I play with a guy who is a member at Southwind. He called his friends after the ATT and they said that Colleran posted 10 home scores in December that were all in the 90's. Southwind was closed in December. For what it is worth.

Do you have a link to those facts?

He didn't post ten scores in December so no.

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

I play with a guy who is a member at Southwind. He called his friends after the ATT and they said that Colleran posted 10 home scores in December that were all in the 90's. Southwind was closed in December. For what it is worth.

No he didn’t post 10, but he did post six. A nice little omission there. . It would be nice to know if the course really was closed.

No he didn't post 10, but he did post six. A nice little omission there. . It would be nice to know if the course really was closed.

The guy that started this "posting" story made his one and only post to say this:

Why would this guy he plays with need to verify with friends that they were closed and that Colleran posted anyways if he was a member? If he's a member he can't check for himself? Really made no sense but we are all replying as if it was gospel.

Romo hasn't posted a score since last July. Does that make him a bagger or vanity cap? Very confusing. :(

No he didn't post 10, but he did post six. A nice little omission there. . It would be nice to know if the course really was closed.

The guy that started this "posting" story made his one and only post to say this:

Why would this guy he plays with need to verify with friends that they were closed and that Colleran posted anyways if he was a member? If he's a member he can't check for himself? Really made no sense but we are all replying as if it was gospel.

Romo hasn't posted a score since last July. Does that make him a bagger or vanity cap? Very confusing. :(

That’s very true. It’s very possible Romo might be a bagger, seems if you know you’re playing in what is possibly the biggest handicap event in the country you would be posting, unless those scores were going to hurt you. I wonder at rhe AT&T, do plus handicaps have to give shots back?

That’s very true. It’s very possible Romo might be a bagger, seems if you know you’re playing in what is possibly the biggest handicap event in the country you would be posting, unless those scores were going to hurt you. I wonder at rhe AT&T, do plus handicaps have to give shots back?

I gotta believe plus caps just play as scratch.

In our Pro Am (a far, far, far cry from this one); the pluses give back. It must suck to have to make birdie to get a par.

I would tend to believe the opposite.

There aren't special rules if you're a plus. Just like a negative player gets strokes you give them up as a plus. That's part of what's so screwy about net events. You take a plus 3 and he goes and out shoots a 65, he's medalist on the day and is 4 under his handicap. He's clearly the best player in the field and put on the best performance, but there's a 23 out there that posts a 90 and takes home the cash.

I have a small group of guys, between 2 and 3 groups, that I usually play with and we've decided to go away from any net component. We're only playing "gentleman's wagers" bets so we decided that the guys that play better deserve to win more often. There's just no way for a a net system not to turn into a race to the bottom. We've got guys as high as 13 and 14 handicaps and they aren't asking for strokes from scratch players, they just go out and try and play better. We do try and mix the formats up so that it's not just straight stroke play, but nonetheless there's only so "fair" you can make the game without favoring the guy who simply isn't as good.

I would tend to believe the opposite.

I would tend to believe you lol! But..a large pro-am I played in in Minnesota for years the plus's played as scratch. The pros don't give any back so why would the plus am?

Edit-I will go with they play to scratch.

Romo is a +0.4

Finley Ewing IV is a +1.5

Both are listed as 0 cap-there are no plus ams listed.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/behold-the-handicaps-of-all-the-celebrity-golfers-at-pebble-beach-weve-got-our-eyes-on-you-larry-fitzgerald

Link?

Plus cappers always give strokes back. Why would the AT&T be any different?

I would tend to believe you lol! But..a large pro-am I played in in Minnesota for years the plus's played as scratch. The pros don't give any back so why would the plus am?

Romo is a +0.4

https://www.golfdige...arry-fitzgerald

Why would anybody with a minus handicap play an event where plus cappers played at scratch? That defeats the whole purpose of handicaps.

http://m.ghin.com/HL...SearchResults=0

Those are incredibly consistent scores for a 15.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Romo is a +0.4

https://www.golfdige...arry-fitzgerald

Why would anybody with a minus handicap play an event where plus cappers played at scratch? That defeats the whole purpose of handicaps.

It's a pro am team event. Not an individual meet event. By that logic why would you pay to be on a team with #200 in the world when DJ is on another team? Why should a +1 am give a shot back when the #1 player in the world and about a +9 doesn't give back any?

http://m.ghin.com/HL...SearchResults=0

Those are incredibly consistent scores for a 15.

At least he's posting something as opposed to Romo. I know quite a few older players that are incredibly consistent. They never get into trouble but lack the skills to go low.

Link?

Link to what?