SuperSpeed Golf training system

Yeah I would agree this pretty much is long drive training. If I may share how I view it.

Our bodies are like car engines. A stock car engine produces only so much power but you can tweak most any engine so that they can achieve a substantial amount more. Some more than others. You can do this with minimal changes to the actual engine. You basically can free up power. This to me is what SSG, and any kind of non weight lifting speed training does. Now, if you do this to your engine, you are operating closer to its limits all of the time and are much more likely to have failures or in our cases, injury. To prevent failures, you can upgrade the internal components of a car engine to better handle the new found power. For us, that would be golf specific weight lifting. When you do this internal upgrade/weight lifting, you now have upped your ceiling to what you can achieve even more. You can now get even more power out of the engine if you want and run it near that limit, and same with our bodies. So here is an example of what I mean.

My stock engine limit was ~105 mph a few years back

My tweaked engine limit is now ~125 mph (I am at my limit currently)

If I upgraded my internals I could do that ~125 more easily, more controllable, and with less injuries.

If I upgraded my internals I could possibly touch 130+ and do some for fun local long drive competitions but risk serious injury as I am operating at my new limit.

This is just the way I see it and everyone's limits are different. For one person 100 mph might be very hard on their bodies, for another 125 is nothing and they can easily handle 130+ without working out. I dare say for near everyone except for the already hardcore golfers that went after speed long ago, their stock engines have a lot of power that can be massaged out of them and if only used sparingly on the course, can come in really handy and not really risk injury.

Swing hard in case you hit it!

I am still having problems with swing speed measurement with hitting a ball and an air swing. As I have mentioned before, my air swings are faster than with a ball. This seems to be in contradiction to what many experience and what the SSG website says. I do not think it has anything to do with the placement of the radar as some say as readings do not vary much regardless.

One thing that may contribute is I am hitting off a mat and possible resistance. I don't think I am hitting fat. I guess I should go to an outdoor range and maybe a short tee with irons.

Be that as it may be, I do see improvements in swing speed, so the system is beneficial. As long as the numbers go up, it really makes little difference what they are. The real test will be to see if I have any real distance gains on the course and my last two outings indicate there are.

"Non rinunciare mai quello
che desideri...."
Go with what you know!

Driver: Titleist 913D

Fairway: Tour Edge XCG 7

Hybrids: Bobby Jones(Jesse Ortiz) Blackbird 3,4,5,6

Irons: 3-PW Titleist 710 MB (Rifle Project X 6.0 Flighted)

Wedges: Tour Edge 52, 56 deg, Cleveland RTX 50 deg 

Putter: Odyssey Custom Metal X 7

I am still having problems with swing speed measurement with hitting a ball and an air swing. As I have mentioned before, my air swings are faster than with a ball. This seems to be in contradiction to what many experience and what the SSG website says. I do not think it has anything to do with the placement of the radar as some say as readings do not vary much regardless.

One thing that may contribute is I am hitting off a mat and possible resistance. I don't think I am hitting fat. I guess I should go to an outdoor range and maybe a short tee with irons.

Be that as it may be, I do see improvements in swing speed, so the system is beneficial. As long as the numbers go up, it really makes little difference what they are. The real test will be to see if I have any real distance gains on the course and my last two outings indicate there are.

It could be a few things, but you are not alone. I swing faster without a ball. To me I think it is mental combined my less than perfect swing mechanics. When a ball is there, my body automatically slows down in order to hit the ball. Probably because my swing mechanics when swinging that hard are not going to hit the ball well, or might miss all together. Just what I observed about myself and my best guess, maybe the same for you maybe not.

It could be a few things, but you are not alone. I swing faster without a ball. To me I think it is mental combined my less than perfect swing mechanics. When a ball is there, my body automatically slows down in order to hit the ball. Probably because my swing mechanics when swinging that hard are not going to hit the ball well, or might miss all together. Just what I observed about myself and my best guess, maybe the same for you maybe not.

I dunno...you might be onto something there. I have noticed that in practice with a MB 5 iron and the Swingyde, the harder I hit, the more solid contact. I read somewhere that hitting the MB's, you need an aggressive swing. It is of course timing and tempo which can vary day by day.

che desideri...."
Go with what you know!

Yeah I would agree this pretty much is long drive training. If I may share how I view it.

Our bodies are like car engines. A stock car engine produces only so much power but you can tweak most any engine so that they can achieve a substantial amount more. Some more than others. You can do this with minimal changes to the actual engine. You basically can free up power. This to me is what SSG, and any kind of non weight lifting speed training does. Now, if you do this to your engine, you are operating closer to its limits all of the time and are much more likely to have failures or in our cases, injury. To prevent failures, you can upgrade the internal components of a car engine to better handle the new found power. For us, that would be golf specific weight lifting. When you do this internal upgrade/weight lifting, you now have upped your ceiling to what you can achieve even more. You can now get even more power out of the engine if you want and run it near that limit, and same with our bodies. So here is an example of what I mean.

My stock engine limit was ~105 mph a few years back

My tweaked engine limit is now ~125 mph (I am at my limit currently)

If I upgraded my internals I could do that ~125 more easily, more controllable, and with less injuries.

If I upgraded my internals I could possibly touch 130+ and do some for fun local long drive competitions but risk serious injury as I am operating at my new limit.

This is just the way I see it and everyone's limits are different. For one person 100 mph might be very hard on their bodies, for another 125 is nothing and they can easily handle 130+ without working out. I dare say for near everyone except for the already hardcore golfers that went after speed long ago, their stock engines have a lot of power that can be massaged out of them and if only used sparingly on the course, can come in really handy and not really risk injury.

This is a good analogy, I think; thanks.

I can understand how the SSG program could result in injury if misused with improper warmup, or overused, or used with bad technique, or used by somebody who simply isn't in good physical condition. But in each of those cases, the problem is the SSG program itself; that's just where the real proximate cause of the injury shows up. Bad technique, for instance, might lead to golfer's elbow; making 100 swings really fast might lead to golfer's elbow more quickly and severely. I HATE the warmup routine I've evolved to get ready for SSG work, but I never shortchange it, just like I never shortchange the very careful and intentional stretching program that I do each morning that I'm going to play golf.

I see Mickelson has a bandage over his thumb. How long were you doing the superspeed when this type of injury pops up?

2 years

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

SCOTTY CAMERON T11 BGT POLAR SHAFT SAND BLASTED TO MATCH HEAD... FLATSO 1.0

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

I just bought this system, and started it this week. Also go the Swing Speed Radar, so that I can get some actual data as well. I will report back in a 4-6 weeks.

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR3 with Metaflex 5H shaft (currently testing the Proxima 6 stiff shaft)
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

What would be the effects of using the ultra lightweight yellow club as well (using a four club system)? Has anybody done this and do you think it could advance the progress?

I don't know an answer to this, but I think that adding an additional 30 swings (using Level 1 and counting the lefthanded swings the same as righthanded) COULD add enough fatigue to make those last 5 swings slower. I'm pretty tired when I finish my warmup plus the Level 1 swings; I can't imagine that MORE swings would be a great thing.

Anyone else find they are slower (or the same speed) with the step swings as they are with the regular swings?

Yes, slower but I am not as coordinated on the steps and don't like doing them much.

che desideri...."
Go with what you know!

Does anyone have any results with swing speed using Persimmon Driver? I have tried, but my Persimmon also has a graphite shaft. I am curious how the Legends managed to hit nearly as long with shorter drivers that were also heavier. My results are about 12 mph slower.

che desideri...."
Go with what you know!

Does anyone have any results with swing speed using Persimmon Driver? I have tried, but my Persimmon also has a graphite shaft. I am curious how the Legends managed to hit nearly as long with shorter drivers that were also heavier. My results are about 12 mph slower.

I don't swing my persimmon that much slower but I do swing it slower. Some of it from heft, some from being shorter, a lot from the grip being like a bar of soap lol.

Edit: for comparison to yours, mine is 43.25 inches long, steel shaft, laminated head. I have managed ball speeds in the upper 160s the handful of times I have messed with it on my simulator. So, max ball speed of 185 with modern 44 inch club, and 170 max with older persimmon style with a really slippery grip. So that tells me i swing slower but also have a lower smash factor when i middle it.

Anyone else find they are slower (or the same speed) with the step swings as they are with the regular swings?

Yes, slower but I am not as coordinated on the steps and don't like doing them much.

I am right handed for reference. Right-handed, with the green I am about exactly the same to slightly faster standing than stepping. I have never broken 138 stepping but have hit 142 standing. The blue I’m about the same but the red I’m slightly faster with stepping.

Left handed, I used to be a few mph faster standing but now I’m about 5mph faster stepping at all three weights.

TaylorMade 2016 Tour Issue M2x3 (8.5*/9.4*/9.8*): Tensei 1K White 70TX

Titleist TSi3 9* - Atmos TS Patriot 7x

Titleist TSR2+ 13* - Diamana D+ Ltd. 80x 

Titleist 915f 15* @ 14.25* - Atmos Blue TS 8x

Titleist 915f 18* - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.2x

Titleist 816H1 17* - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8x

Titleist 915hd 20.5* @ 19.5* Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8x

Titleist 2023 T150 4 & 5 iron, T100 6-9 iron - Project x6.5 ss1x 1.5* flat

Vokey SM9 Raw 46.10F, 50.12F - Project x6.0 1.5* flat, 54.12D, 58.08M - DG TI S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom 9.5 / Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2

I'm very similar standing and stepping as well. A couple MPH faster at best for the most part.

Sunday night I had my fastest EVER lefty swing with the green @ 133mph. For comparison, that night my best righty was 142. I was both excited and confused. It almost feels effortless swinging lefty. There has to be some sort of imbalance in my body for this to happen. I've noticed my right hip is more flexible than my left, which I think gives me the ability to 'open up my hips' at the impact spot more on my left handed swings. There is 0 early extension in my left handed swings, but there seems to be some in my right handed swings. Anyone else notice this?

Driver: Cobra LTD Pro 7.5o - Kuro Kage DC XT 70 TX - Tipped 1"

UDI: 2019 TaylorMade P790 2i

Irons: 3-PW: Srixon z745 with Modus 130x

Wedges: 52o/56o/60o - Cleveland RTX4s

Putter: Ping Kushin 4

I just did a quick test, five swings with both my driver and a persimmon. The five swings were as hard as I can SSG style but I did not it a ball.

Current Driver: 2016 M2 75g Hzrdus Black, 44.5”, total weight 332g, D4 swingweight

Persimmon: Hogan Speed Slot apex steel shaft, 43.25”, total weight 373g, D2.5 swingweight

Five swings with the gamer per SSR:

120 120 118 123 118 (119.8 avg)

Five swings with the persimmon:

110 113 115 114 109 (112.2 avg)

Vokey SM9 Raw 46.10F, 50.12F - Project x6.0 1.5* flat, 54.12D, 58.08M - DG TI S400

I just did a quick test, five swings with both my driver and a persimmon. The five swings were as hard as I can SSG style but I did not it a ball.

Current Driver: 2016 M2 75g Hzrdus Black, 44.5”, total weight 332g, D4 swingweight

Persimmon: Hogan Speed Slot apex steel shaft, 43.25”, total weight 373g, D2.5 swingweight

Pretty close really especially considering the toe speed of your modern driver will likely read higher than for a persimmon by an unfair margin. Id bet you are within 5 mph. Pretty darn good really.

Current Driver: 2016 M2 75g Hzrdus Black, 44.5", total weight 332g, D4 swingweight

Persimmon: Hogan Speed Slot apex steel shaft, 43.25", total weight 373g, D2.5 swingweight

Pretty close really especially considering the toe speed of your modern driver will likely read higher than for a persimmon by an unfair margin. Id bet you are within 5 mph. Pretty darn good really.

yep...impressive. swing speed of 119.8 corelates to a distance of 287.5 yds. (using 2.4 as multiplier). I struggle to get past 200 any more at 77 yrs of age. As I have mentioned many times, I have lost 40 yds in the past 18 months.

che desideri...."
Go with what you know!

Current Driver: 2016 M2 75g Hzrdus Black, 44.5", total weight 332g, D4 swingweight

Persimmon: Hogan Speed Slot apex steel shaft, 43.25", total weight 373g, D2.5 swingweight

yep...impressive. swing speed of 119.8 corelates to a distance of 287.5 yds. (using 2.4 as multiplier). I struggle to get past 200 any more at 77 yrs of age. As I have mentioned many times, I have lost 40 yds in the past 18 months.

That speed is the SSG hard swing rather than a real golf swing. When I actually hit balls with a typical driver speed and compare it to ball speed on my GC2, I’m usually in the 113-115 range on SSR with ball speed 160-163 with carry in the 275-285 range on avg. If I really go after one, SSR will read around 120 but contact suffers, smash goes down and ball speed tops out at only 166-167. I’d love to get to 170 ball speed but I just turned 40 and at 5’9, a lot of the training will just be to fight Father Time!

I’m going for a driver fitting at true spec in two weeks to see if I can buy a few more ball speed mph. We’ll see.

That speed is the SSG hard swing rather than a real golf swing. When I actually hit balls with a typical driver speed and compare it to ball speed on my GC2, I’m usually in the 113-115 range on SSR with ball speed 160-163 with carry in the 275-285 range on avg. If I really go after one, SSR will read around 120 but contact suffers, smash goes down and ball speed tops out at only 166-167. I’d love to get to 170 ball speed but I just turned 40 and at 5’9, a lot of the training will just be to fight Father Time!

I’m going for a driver fitting at true spec in two weeks to see if I can buy a few more ball speed mph. We’ll see.

Wishing you the best with that. Here is some data from game golf on distances by age and index:

https://www.golfmagic.com/golf-news/average-driving-distance-age-and-handicap

che desideri...."
Go with what you know!

Well I ordered it and will give it a go, nothing to lose in my book. Anyone carry one of the clubs to warm up with on the first tee?

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT 
PUTTER -   PXG Battle Ready Gunboat w/M16 Stability Shaft
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

Well I ordered it and will give it a go, nothing to lose in my book. Anyone carry one of the clubs to warm up with on the first tee?

Some more than likely will. Of course, you can always just swing a fairway wood or inverted driver. It also makes a handy place to hang a headcover while you hit your shot.

che desideri...."
Go with what you know!

Just a funny little thing I thought I would share. I own a Skytrak and I got the idea a while back to see if I could trick it into reading swing speed with my SSG club. My home made version has a weight with a diameter very close to a golf ball's diameter. I glued a half of a hollow plastic golf ball to the end and swung it in front of the Skytrak. It picked up the shot almost every single time and its displayed ball speed (aka my swing speed) was identical or within a mph or two of my swing speed radar almost every single time.

Funny as hell.

Here are SS of a couple

Show us a pic of the club.

Here you go. It is ugly but it works.

1 month into training and seeing slow but steady results. Today i maxed out at 147 mph on green, 136 on blue and 129 on red. These are all exactly 3 mph higher than i maxed out during my first session.

Next goal is to hit 150 on green, 140 on blue, and 130 on red.

I am relatively bad at left handed swings i think, getting between 95-110 depending on the day and the stick.

Ping G400 Max 9* Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
Ping G400 3 crossover Alta stiff
Callaway Apex 4-SW recoil 780 stiff
Cleveland cbx 60* recoil stiff
Biomech Acculock
Snell MTB Black

1 month into training and seeing slow but steady results. Today i maxed out at 147 mph on green, 136 on blue and 129 on red. These are all exactly 3 mph higher than i maxed out during my first session.

I am relatively bad at left handed swings i think, getting between 95-110 depending on the day and the stick.

Dang that’s pretty fast speed to start with!! What’s your driver swing speed? My dominant side hasn’t gone up much...141 green but my non dominant side has increased tremendously...I’m 135 max on green. I think your dominant side will settle but your non dominate will increase. My driver swing speed has increased the most when my non dominate side starting increasing a ton.

PING G425 9* Tour 65 X - PING G400 Stretch 13* HZRDUS Yellow - PING G425 17* Hybrid Tour 85 X
PING I210 4-U Project X 6.5 - PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 55 & 60* Project X 6.0
PING VALOR CB 35"

Anyone else willing to submit your information to me? Give me your trackman, or flightscope or gc2-hmt or gcq max driver speed and also your max red ssg club speed when swinging at something like a tee preferably.

This is just to satisfy my golf nerdism. I started a little list to help show the relationship between swinging the heavy ssg club and a standard driver.

Thanks to those that have helped me out so far.

Dang that’s pretty fast speed to start with!! What’s your driver swing speed? My dominant side hasn’t gone up much...141 green but my non dominant side has increased tremendously...I’m 135 max on green. I think your dominant side will settle but your non dominate will increase. My driver swing speed has increased the most when my non dominate side starting increasing a ton.

Was 119-125 last time i was on trackman a couple months ago, hoping to get back soon and see if there is any progress

Ping G400 Max 9* Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
Ping G400 3 crossover Alta stiff
Callaway Apex 4-SW recoil 780 stiff
Cleveland cbx 60* recoil stiff
Biomech Acculock
Snell MTB Black