2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

2019 Tucson Course Conditions

Shipwreck

Play Del Urich yesterday. Course is in great shape and greens are smooth and quick. Managed a nice 78 with two 3 putts and a double :to_become_senile:

Played 4 holes on Randolph at the end....the greens need work on that side.....

Rogue ST Max LS Oban Devotion 6/03 10.5, -1* @45.25" 

Paradym 3HL  Kai’li 60 R
Ping G410 19*,  22* & 26* Riptide CB 80 5.5
Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-AW, SF i80cw R,  Or Cobra Forged Tec Black 6-GW, SF i95cw R   
PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

Enke yesterday was just ok. As most from Tucson know, they choose to not overseed the fairways at Enke. They even have a sign on the counter saying it saves money etc etc. Well, I was really hoping that this money savings would be put to use on the greens but the conditions on the greens were not that good. Not terrible, but not good. For close to $50, there are better options out there. I will say that when you're sitting in the fairway, the greens do look impressive against the dormant bermuda.

Enke yesterday was just ok. As most from Tucson know, they choose to not overseed the fairways at Enke. They even have a sign on the counter saying it saves money etc etc. Well, I was really hoping that this money savings would be put to use on the greens but the conditions on the greens were not that good. Not terrible, but not good. For close to $50, there are better options out there. I will say that when you're sitting in the fairway, the greens do look impressive against the dormant bermuda.

That’s a real shame too. Enkes greens are either really good or dog crap terrible. And yeah $50 is way too much for that course. $35 is about my max to pay there.

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

Enke is on the chopping block, from what I read this past summer.

Enke is always on the chopping block. Which is a shame because it’s one of the tougher courses in town when it’s in good shape. Get rid of El Rio. That course is uselsss IMHO. I get that the city wants to cut costs wherever they can, but their thought process of “close courses and sell whatever we can to make a buck” is going to drive out a lot of money.

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

Bridgestone Tour BXS

I'm not a fan of courses closing, but if they had to, I would think El Rio and Silverbell would be smarter to close than Enke. There isn't a lot of turf out there to be maintained and like you said, it's a tough course, and IMO, much more entertaining.

Silverbell actually gets a fair amount of play during the winter and with them building the housing developments around it, it should hopefully draw in some more players.

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

Bridgestone Tour BXS

For enough money, any of them are on the block. There is a movement by some to get the city out of the golf business totally, they'll try to get there one at a time.

I have been playing El Rio. The greens, and surrounds are good, IMO. Fairways dormant, but I saw little bits of new growth popping up yesterday. I know some don't like it, but it has been busy, and it is a good value, again, IMO. The sand has improved greatly, and the small greens make it tougher than it looks.

Jeff, an Arizona hacker

It’s too bad they don’t overseer the fairways Fred Enke. It’s the most challenging track of the city courses by far, and aside from the 5th hole, provides good shot values and requires a sound strategy, no matter which tees you play..

As stated after my last round there last week, it’s playing like St. Andrews in a drought. Fairways are hard and fast, but greens were receptive and rolling pretty true.

Our club is playing there this Sunday.

Agree that if the City wants to close a course, it should be El Rio, or convert it to a 9 hole pitch and putt and make the rest a park.

That way, they keep the First Tee program and have good teaching and learning course.

Paradym 3HL  Kai’li 60 R
PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Looking at a possible move to Tucson for my job from the east coast. Looking to move northern or eastern part of Tucson. Any suggestions on nice golf communities or a really nice area to live in. 400-550K arena. Any suggestions appreciated. Going to visit the area in March to look around. Also looking a Phoenix and Denver but Tucson is first on the list.

I believe the pga tour champions is in Tucson next weekend. As a golf course architecture fan would I enjoy seeing Omni Tucson national?

It’s nothing spectacular but it’s a good overall track. Fairly traditional parkland style course with a few elevated areas. 7200 yards tipped out and it definitely feels like it plays all 7200, especially depending on how the rough is. Monte played it last year and according to Ferris (who I believe was caddying for him) played well and barely missed the cut.

I’d probably go just to go see the pros out there. It’s an easily walkable course unlike the disaster that was Match Play championship ar Dove Mountain. That course was terrible for spectators.

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

Bridgestone Tour BXS

I believe the pga tour champions is in Tucson next weekend. As a golf course architecture fan would I enjoy seeing Omni Tucson national?

It’s nothing spectacular but it’s a good overall track. Fairly traditional parkland style course with a few elevated areas. 7200 yards tipped out and it definitely feels like it plays all 7200, especially depending on how the rough is. Monte played it last year and according to Ferris (who I believe was caddying for him) played well and barely missed the cut.

I’d probably go just to go see the pros out there. It’s an easily walkable course unlike the disaster that was Match Play championship ar Dove Mountain. That course was terrible for spectators.

Thanks

Going down to play Ventana (Mountain). Would like to try and get in one more round, maybe two while I'm down there. I've played Dove Mountain before and loved it. Looks like you can get really solid deals on GolfNow if you wait until the day before to book, so likely going to go that route first.

Based on research looks like Sewailo, AZ National, and Starr Pass should be the next couple I'm deciding between? Any suggestions? Prefer non-residential, isolated courses with better views/scenery than necessarily the best track/layout.

Going down to play Ventana (Mountain). Would like to try and get in one more round, maybe two while I'm down there. I've played Dove Mountain before and loved it. Looks like you can get really solid deals on GolfNow if you wait until the day before to book, so likely going to go that route first.

Based on research looks like Sewailo, AZ National, and Starr Pass should be the next couple I'm deciding between? Any suggestions? Prefer non-residential, isolated courses with better views/scenery than necessarily the best track/layout.

AZ national and Sewailo. Skip starr pass IMO as I think it’s also the most expensive right now and just a frustrating as hell course. Between those two, AZ National will have better views as it’s in the same area as Ventana. Sewailo is always in premium condition but RainShadow said National is in good shape too.

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

Bridgestone Tour BXS

Thinking about staying at Dove Mountain next week... Anyone played it recently, how are conditions? $210 so assume its in excellent shape...?

Edit: Looking on golfnow can play substantially less expensive than on website.

Since this is the on season it’s definitely in top notch shape. I’d call the course and say you found it for $X on GolfNow and see if they will honor that price so you don’t have pay the fee etc., I’ve done that before and they were cool with it.

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

Bridgestone Tour BXS

AZ National today. Teed off at 0820 and finished at 1140!

Course is in great shape, they’ve done a lot of work on the bunkers, I was in 7 of them today and didn’t have a bad lie or worry about bouncing into the ball because there was actually sand in the.

Greens were fast and true.

Managed a 78, 1 birdie, one double and I missed at least 4 birdie putts inside 12 feet.

Every putt I read with much break had little, and others were big breakers that I got the speed wrong.

The course is in the best condition I’ve seen it. Do yourselves a favor a get out there.

I paid $59 and it’s the best deal going for this quality of track.

Paradym 3HL  Kai’li 60 R
PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Silverbell again today. The greens are STUPID firm, absolutely nothing was holding. Top it off to a crappy 4.5 hour round and I was just drained. Teed off at 1100, not playing that late again.

Titleist TSi3 10* w/ Tour AD GP-6
Titleist U510 16* w/ HZRDUS Smoke 
Titleist 818H2 21* w/ Alidila Rogue 
Titleist 712 AP2 w/ X100
Titleist Vokey SM6 50/56/60
Scotty Cameron 009 1.5 Neck

If you were going to join a club in Tucson based on conditions and price which would it be? I'm going to visit next week and tour Oro Valley CC and Skyline. Should I put any others on the list? I'm keeping in mind initiation fees and annual dues. The 400-600 month dues is kinda the budget. Focusing on Catalina Foothills, Oro Valley, and Tanque Verde location for future home.

Thanks in advance.

Played El Rio again today (sorry Ship), and it was actually pleasant. Far cry from the last time. Greens were nice and the pace of play was great. Only $31, nice and affordable for this time of year.

• Like 1

Titleist 712 AP2 w/ X100

In Tucson and visited Skyline today. Seems awfully short but in good shape. Visiting Oro Valley CC in the morning. Beautiful city and very friendly people thus far. Definitely impressed thus far. Saw plenty of really nice homes in Oro and Marana today. Tanque Verde to far out for us. Focusing more close to I10 and ORO area it seems. Wish I could play some golf but were house hunting pretty hard right now.

Oro valley looks fabulous. Found several homes in this area that the wife and I toured. Question for the locals. We visited a fabulous home within El Conquistador but haven't read much about it. Appears were still right beside OVCC but this house overlooks EL Conquistador. Any thoughts? Realtor mentioned this course is controversial due to city overseeing it and its future in uncertain. Several concerns as if city closes course what does that do to property value and re sell potential. Any insights appreciated . I was blown away by practice facility and course in general at OVCC.

Staying at Tucson National next 2 nights and may watch the NIT collegiate golfers go at it some Saturday.

There are so many nice and pleasing people around here .I'm very impressed w Tucson so far. Food is awesome everywhere we go. Gonna visit U of A a bit tomorrow and just relax a bit. Thinking the move is 80/20 now in moving out here for good. 1st time visitor .

Unless you like almost nonstop drama I would avoid El Conquistador, maybe avoid Oro Valley altogether.Not sure what you're used to but HOA's are hard/impossible to adjust to for some.Maybe have your realtor show you some properties in and around Casas Adobe's.Also no college golf(except maybe practice rounds) at Omni Tucson till Monday.

I played Crooked Tree for the first time today. I actually really like the layout out there. If anyone has ever played Aguila, it's basically a mirror image of that track but with longer par 5s. Greens were great, was the first group out this morning and finished in just under 3 hours. 

Titleist 712 AP2 w/ X100

I played Crooked Tree for the first time today. I actually really like the layout out there. If anyone has ever played Aguila, it's basically a mirror image of that track but with longer par 5s. Greens were great, was the first group out this morning and finished in just under 3 hours. 

Crooked Tree gets a lot of hate but I don’t mind it too much. Not worth the price sometimes in the winter time (unless they have dropped the prices at all) but can be a decently challenging track especially when there is wind involved. It’s right in the middle of the pack as far as Tucson courses go for me. 

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

Bridgestone Tour BXS