Most ridiculous thing heard on the range

StarFleetGolfer

I could seriously post here every week when I go to the local golf dome...

I was with a buddy and he took the bay directly in front of me, then the bay in front of him was open. In rolls a guy with a PXG hat and his GF. She sits down behind the fence and he takes some practice swings. I dont remember what bag he had, but I noticed jet black SM7s and PXG irons. I was like hot damn, we got a player in here!

Boy, I couldnt be more wrong. After like 30 or 40 minutes of ONLY 20 yard chips (thats normally fine, but upstate NY in the middle of winter, I feel like most GOOD golfers really want to take as many full swings as possible since we cant really golf this time of year), he ups his chips to about 50 yards and cold shanks about 5 in a row. Okay, maybe he just has a case of them. Starts going through the bag and barely reaching the end of the 95 yard dome with mid irons. I couldnt believe it. Takes out driver, brand new TS3, and skied about 5 in a row. It hurt to watch and hear.

His girfriend was video'ing him, thats fine....but maybe spend less on the bag and more on some lessons?

Wait, this could be anyone of us members here on wrx.

8 grand WITB. 95 yard mid irons, but it’s 195 trackman measured here online, with PXG Hat and matching “golf performance” underwear.

Sorry... Next time, I’ll just grind at home in my simulator.

I think strangest i had at a range was outside conway sc. Inwas at Shaftesbury glenn. I go to range to warm up, nice gentlemen walks over and introduced himself ay Joe Blah blah sheetmetal workers union local #####. I was like hi john s. Computer guy. He was nice but it was different encounter.

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

I was with a buddy and he took the bay directly in front of me, then the bay in front of him was open. In rolls a guy with a PXG hat and his GF. She sits down behind the fence and he takes some practice swings. I dont remember what bag he had, but I noticed jet black SM7s and PXG irons. I was like hot damn, we got a player in here!

Boy, I couldnt be more wrong. After like 30 or 40 minutes of ONLY 20 yard chips (thats normally fine, but upstate NY in the middle of winter, I feel like most GOOD golfers really want to take as many full swings as possible since we cant really golf this time of year), he ups his chips to about 50 yards and cold shanks about 5 in a row. Okay, maybe he just has a case of them. Starts going through the bag and barely reaching the end of the 95 yard dome with mid irons. I couldnt believe it. Takes out driver, brand new TS3, and skied about 5 in a row. It hurt to watch and hear.

His girfriend was video'ing him, thats fine....but maybe spend less on the bag and more on some lessons?

This really wouldn't bother me one bit. Sure, he may be a s*** golfer with nice equipment, but as long as he isn't boasting about how great he usually hits it and is just doing his thing then I'll have no problems.

I love how this guy watch his entire range session. I go to range to practice, i guess some go to rip on others, i dont see how this PXG guy did anything werid. Maybe he brought his gf to take some videos so he can send it to his instructor

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

This really wouldn't bother me one bit. Sure, he may be a s*** golfer with nice equipment, but as long as he isn't boasting about how great he usually hits it and is just doing his thing then I'll have no problems.

I love how this guy watch his entire range session. I go to range to practice, i guess some go to rip on others, i dont see how this PXG guy did anything werid. Maybe he brought his gf to take some videos so he can send it to his instructor

I'd much rather see the PXG guy next to me at the range, instead of with the group that had the tee time right before mine.

X________________________________ Sign Here

Heard a good one today. Lower budget golf course but a decent practice facility. Guy behind me who apparently was getting ready to go play a round, says completely serious....

"I shouldn't have wasted money buying balls, these range balls are excellent."

That alone made me laugh, but most of the range balls are in rough shape. They're not excellent.

My 16 hcp buddy talking about why he needs blades.

Why you gotta out me like that Carl?

I am literally crying from laughter.

Ping G425 Max 10.5* - Diamana D+ Ltd 60TX
Ping G425 Max 16.5* - Diamana D+ Ltd 80TX 
Srixon ZX UT 2/3/4 - KBS C Taper Lite X
Srixon ZX7 5-P - KBS C Taper Lite X
Titleist SM8 Raw 50/54/58 - TI DG S400
Scotty Cameron 2020 Newport 2 

When I was at uga, there was a guy named Buzz, some on here might know him as he was there every day. He never played just practiced. Anyways, I’m hitting drivers next to him. We’re friendly. He slams his driver and it snaps in 3 places. As he’s picking up the pieces he turns to me and says can I try yours?

"its not about how you turn your body, it's all about the arms" :WTF:

Flip it! Flip it! Flip it!

Actually this true

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

wow

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

If this is the local dome that is near me then its pretty hard to not watch someone who is 8ft next to you. I don't know about others but I like to take my time versus rifling through balls. Too many times I've been at this dome and someone next to me has nailed the plastic dividers separating the bays. I'm on high alert there. And I think I've seen this PXG dude before, last week he was getting lessons by the pro there so maybe he read this thread.

Only story recently I got was the fitter at this place, got talking about the demo day/expo and he said "TXG wouldnt be there well...because"(getting at price I assume). I'm pretty sure he just misspoke but I would of been impressed if he name dropped TXG.

Mizuno ST200 10.5* - Tensei Blue 70x
Ping G 13* - Tour 80x
Mizuno MMC Fli-Hi - 3i Mitsubishi Tensei White 90TX
Mizuno MP-18 4-9 C Taper Lite X
Mizuno T7 46/53/58
Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s

"i guess some go to rip on others"

That's what his whole thread is doing. That is the point of this whole thread. If you go to the range to literally just practice and tune everything else out, what are you even doing in this thread?

I like golf. A lot.

A guy explaining how you have to play a Callaway ball with Callaway clubs, Taylormade ball with Taylormade clubs because....."the ball is made to suit that particular club by that manufacturer.....and getting hit by another manufacturer's club just won't perform as well; said he picked up 10 yards every since matching balls to clubs".... I just looked dumbfounded that someone could tell me that with the sincerity that he did. :busted_cop:

I'm going to have to think about this one because I have heard some doozys.

GHIN Index 12.9
LH Epic Flash Driver-LH, 10.5*, Project X EvenFlow Riptide 50 (Light)
LH Callaway Rogue 5-wood (18*), 7-wood (20*); Aldila Synergy 60-Reg
LH Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-AW, Recoil Dart 75 F3
LH Cleveland RTX 50*, 54*, 58*
LH Odyssey Double Wide Stroke Lab Putter

A previous course I was a member of had restricted flight range balls that were also water balls (the driving range was a large pond)…. couldn't believe how many people played those balls on the course and kept a handicap.

GHIN Index 12.9
LH Epic Flash Driver-LH, 10.5*, Project X EvenFlow Riptide 50 (Light)
LH Callaway Rogue 5-wood (18*), 7-wood (20*); Aldila Synergy 60-Reg
LH Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-AW, Recoil Dart 75 F3
LH Cleveland RTX 50*, 54*, 58*
LH Odyssey Double Wide Stroke Lab Putter

A guy explaining how you have to play a Callaway ball with Callaway clubs, Taylormade ball with Taylormade clubs because....."the ball is made to suit that particular club by that manufacturer.....and getting hit by another manufacturer's club just won't perform as well; said he picked up 10 yards every since matching balls to clubs".... I just looked dumbfounded that someone could tell me that with the sincerity that he did. :busted_cop:

Was he able to tell us what ball we are supposed to use with Ping or Cobra clubs?

WITB:

Driver: Taylormade SIM 9° 

Fairway Wood: Taylormade SIM TI 15°, Titleist 917F2 18°

Irons: Ping i210 4-UW

Wedges: Titleist SM8 S-Grind 54°, 58°

Putter: Nike BC-01 33"

Taylor Made used to market a golf ball exactly this way in the 90's. It was "optimized" for their own driver. :lol:

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 6S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TSR2 21*, Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 84

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g

When I was at uga, there was a guy named Buzz, some on here might know him as he was there every day. He never played just practiced. Anyways, I’m hitting drivers next to him. We’re friendly. He slams his driver and it snaps in 3 places. As he’s picking up the pieces he turns to me and says can I try yours?

HAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHHHAHAHAHA!

Not quite a range story, but something close. I was at one of those fairs where you pay $5 to hit at a tiny target in the middle of a lake for a prize. As I'm waiting in line with a friend's boyfriend, we are chatting golf and the guy talks about how he likes to play. He looks the part, I thought everything was cool. When it's our turn to pick from the rental clubs, he grabs a 5 iron for a 120 yard shot. I made some comment about that being a lot of club for this shot. He then said "when you're hitting the ball over water, you really need to club up because the air is denser above the water. This is why the pros always hit draws and fades around the water rather than flying their ball directly over it." He said it with such certainty that I almost believed it for a second.

He then proceeded to whiff for 3 straight swing before hitting a few grounders into the pond. His dumb comment made more sense after watching his swing.

• Thanks 1

If this is the local dome that is near me then its pretty hard to not watch someone who is 8ft next to you. I don't know about others but I like to take my time versus rifling through balls. Too many times I've been at this dome and someone next to me has nailed the plastic dividers separating the bays. I'm on high alert there. And I think I've seen this PXG dude before, last week he was getting lessons by the pro there so maybe he read this thread.

Only story recently I got was the fitter at this place, got talking about the demo day/expo and he said "TXG wouldnt be there well...because"(getting at price I assume). I'm pretty sure he just misspoke but I would of been impressed if he name dropped TXG.

TXG is the knockoff company—-“Taiwan Xtreme Golf”

Taylor Made used to market a golf ball exactly this way in the 90's. It was "optimized" for their own driver. :lol:

I want to say it was Top-Flite they had a T and a C ball optimized for the the Burner Bubble and Great Big Bertha respectively

I want to say it was Top-Flite they had a T and a C ball optimized for the the Burner Bubble and Great Big Bertha respectively

I think you're right. Thanks for the correction - must have mis-remembered them as TM balls.

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 6S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TSR2 21*, Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 84

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g

Was at a totally full range somewhere in So Cal, forget exactly where it was, maybe Temecula Creek Inn or Arrowood. I stop for a minute to take something out of my bag and a guy comes over and says, "hey buddy can I hit a couple drivers real quick, they're trying to rush excellence." I'm like...... sure, while pondering in my head WTF is he talking about?

Had an ok swing and rapidly hit a couple nice drives really quick. He quickly finishes and while he is walking away says, "Thanks dude, sorry no autographs." Then winks........ I'm thinking who the fxxk does this guy think he is? He wasn't famous and wasn't a pro......... oh yeah right... he was a TOOL!

Was he able to tell us what ball we are supposed to use with Ping or Cobra clubs?

Obviously you are suffering a 10 yard loss!