Cobra F9 irons!!!!!!

collingsom1a

I really like them as well when I demo,d them, hit both the SL and regular version. Although they are fugly from the sole/cavity, they look good at address, IMO what actually matters. Offset did not appear to be that much, topline was good there is bevel to reduce.the size, and what I would consider a generous blade length without being huge. They are definitely not compact. Forgiving,feel is good, and easy to hit. What I'm not a fan of is the stock shaft offering, too light. Kudos to cobra as they have a really good list of no upcharge shaft offerings on their site, but that does not help when wanting to demo one, you are stuck with what they have in the store. And the lies are 1* more upright than standard, so if you need any more than 1* flat (from a regular standard) you are out of luck. As a result these are a no go for me. Likely was not buying them anyway, but the lie angles rule these out from the jump!

Just FYI Ode, you can order these sticks up to 3* flat directly from Cobra, or your chosen fitter, that's what I did!

Not an option on line, so must be call in only!

can anyone compare these to the cobra tour forged irons that were released maybe 1,5 years ago?

They are 2 different "class" of irons, so not sure if they can be compared head to head directly.....

TM M3 9.5*
Cobra King Ltd 15*
Callaway XR 18* 

Cobra Fly Z+ 4-P

Bridgestone J15 50*

Callaway MD2 56/60*

TM Spider X Navy Blue
Srixon Z Star

can anyone compare these to the cobra tour forged irons that were released maybe 1,5 years ago?

They are 2 different "class" of irons, so not sure if they can be compared head to head directly.....

The Tour Forged will be less forgiving, smaller profile (slightly bigger than AP2), probably spin a bit more due to design, and be shorter iron vs iron due to the loft difference (Forged Tour 6 iron 29* vs F9 6 iron 25.5*). Below is the "rank" of Cobra Irons over the last few years by category they fit under.

1. King Forged MB/CB, Amp Cell Pro, Fly Z Pro

2. Cobra Forged Tour, Amp Forged, Fly Z+

3. Forged Tec Black and Forged Tec

4. F9, Amp, Fly Z, F6, F7, F8

Srixon Z565, Miyazaki Kaula Kori 6x
Cobra F9 Aldila Tour Blue 75x
Cobra F7 19* and 23* hybrids
Cobra Amp Forged 5-PW KBS Tour S+
Vokey SM6 50F, 54F, 58M
Spider Tour Red

I'm also wondering if anyone has turned the 4i into a driving iron. I was looking to basically recreate Rickie's 4i that he beats with the AD IZ shaft that comes out next month.

Has anyone had any luck with throwing a hybrid shaft into the 4i? Any tipping required?

Thanks!

I emailed Cobra about the f9 4i as a driving iron. They recommended I have them install an 80 gram KBS TGI graphite in it, bend strong, and at 3 iron length. Not sure what the cost will be, but I imagine it will come out cheaper than the P790 UDI I have had my mind on.

Also considering the 4-iron as a driving iron. Play it at about 3 iron length and maybe bend one degree strong.

I'm also wondering if anyone has turned the 4i into a driving iron. I was looking to basically recreate Rickie's 4i that he beats with the AD IZ shaft that comes out next month. Has anyone had any luck with throwing a hybrid shaft into the 4i? Any tipping required? Thanks!
I emailed Cobra about the f9 4i as a driving iron. They recommended I have them install an 80 gram KBS TGI graphite in it, bend strong, and at 3 iron length. Not sure what the cost will be, but I imagine it will come out cheaper than the P790 UDI I have had my mind on.
Also considering the 4-iron as a driving iron. Play it at about 3 iron length and maybe bend one degree strong.

Yep - same here. I am in the market for a new driving iron and with being a big fan of Fowler and seeing how he hit that 4i, I am super interested. I would be curious to know Cobra's answer back to the guys that inquired about this with the IZ hyrbid shaft when/if they get back to you.

I'm also wondering if anyone has turned the 4i into a driving iron. I was looking to basically recreate Rickie's 4i that he beats with the AD IZ shaft that comes out next month. Has anyone had any luck with throwing a hybrid shaft into the 4i? Any tipping required? Thanks!

Yep - same here. I am in the market for a new driving iron and with being a big fan of Fowler and seeing how he hit that 4i, I am super interested. I would be curious to know Cobra's answer back to the guys that inquired about this with the IZ hyrbid shaft when/if they get back to you.

I actually spoke to a few people regarding this - both at Cobra and at GD. What I was able to gather is that the AD IZ isn't exactly the same profile as the one in Rickie's 4iron, his is stiffer in the mid and tip section, so it was recommended that an AD IZ is installed into the F9 tipped 1" but can play 0.5" tipped if you're looking for something a bit softer. I plan to try this once the AD IZ hybrid shaft is release in the coming weeks.

Titleist TSR3 10* - Tensei 1K White 60TX

Callaway Paradym TD 15* - Mitsubishi Kaili White 70X

TRS2 21* - Hzrdus Black Gen 4 80X

Titleist T100 - Project X 6.5

Titleist Vokey SM 9 48*/53*/58* - Dynamic Gold S400 Onyx

Taylormade Spider X

2023 ProV1X

The Tour Forged will be less forgiving, smaller profile (slightly bigger than AP2), probably spin a bit more due to design, and be shorter iron vs iron due to the loft difference (Forged Tour 6 iron 29* vs F9 6 iron 25.5*). Below is the "rank" of Cobra Irons over the last few years by category they fit under.

Kinda surprised that you rate the forged tour irons "higher" than the forged tec.

is there a reason why?

I actually spoke to a few people regarding this - both at Cobra and at GD. What I was able to gather is that the AD IZ isn't exactly the same profile as the one in Rickie's 4iron, his is stiffer in the mid and tip section, so it was recommended that an AD IZ is installed into the F9 tipped 1" but can play 0.5" tipped if you're looking for something a bit softer. I plan to try this once the AD IZ hybrid shaft is release in the coming weeks.

I may do the same - thanks for the info

Kinda surprised that you rate the forged tour irons "higher" than the forged tec.

is there a reason why?

They aren’t ranking but more the category they fall in from players to game improvement.

So 1 = Players/blade style irons (although technically the cbs aren’t blades)

2 = Players CB

3 = Players/Game Improvement Forged

4 = game improvement

Or something along those lines.

Vokey SM6 50F, 54F, 58M
Spider Tour Red

is there a reason why?

They aren’t ranking but more the category they fall in from players to game improvement.

So 1 = Players/blade style irons (although technically the cbs aren’t blades)

2 = Players CB

3 = Players/Game Improvement Forged

4 = game improvement

Or something along those lines.

i got your ranking

In just think that the forged tec is a little more of of a players iron than the forged tour. but hey. who really cares ;) all good

Lofts aren’t jacked? Maybe compared to the Pings. But these are 3-4* less loft per club than my 712 AP1’s! That’s jacked!

Yep. Since jacked lofts have become the new norm, lofts have to be super-jacked to be considered jacked. Make sense?

• Callaway Rogue Draw 10.5*
  • The Perfect Club 21
  • Callaway XROS 64
  • PING Eye 2 BeCu 7 - SW
  • PING Kartsen Craz-E

i got your ranking

In just think that the forged tec is a little more of of a players iron than the forged tour. but hey. who really cares ;) all good

I have some Forged Tec Black and King Forged CB being delivered tomorrow. I also own Amp Forged so I'll snap a pick and show size differences.

Vokey SM6 50F, 54F, 58M
Spider Tour Red

Ordered F9 7 iron built to my specs on Monday and it arrived today. Mosonnal rains here in So Cal so I could only hit two balls at a local park. Easy to elevate with excellent feel. High boring trajectory. Need to get it on the course to see if I might game an entire set. Looks a bit wide on the bottom but not too bad up top and on back. Probably time to put playability ahead of looks

To follow on - I went to my local shop today and hit their test 5 iron using a few different shafts and enjoyed the Project X LZ 6.5 graphite shaft. I had never heard of the shaft but was launching the 5 iron 215+ carry (normal 5 iron is around 200) with about 10-15 yards roll. Order has been placed and can't come soon enough! I will still end up buying the AD IZ hybrid for this thing at some point just to try.

Titleist TSR3 10* - Tensei 1K White 60TX

Callaway Paradym TD 15* - Mitsubishi Kaili White 70X

TRS2 21* - Hzrdus Black Gen 4 80X

Titleist T100 - Project X 6.5

Titleist Vokey SM 9 48*/53*/58* - Dynamic Gold S400 Onyx

Taylormade Spider X

2023 ProV1X

Interesting ranking. I bought the AMPs the first day they hit the market...Little did I know it, but my best iron play would be with those. I started learning to shape shots, so I wanted something better for that and went with Ping I25s. Had to leave those because the distance loss was too great and have been playing the Apex for 3 years. Now looking at new irons and I accidentally stumbled across the Cobra F9, I hate the looks, but they have out performed every club I have hit them against in 3 or 4 visits to the shop.

I am getting fitted Monday, will see if it wins out...If it wasn't for the ego, I would probably demand them, ha

FWIW I hit these again today. Hard to figure how they go so far. Once again experienced a very forgiving head. The 7 iron is 29.5* - only 1/2* stronger than my current Ap-1s but according to the LM I am hitting it 1-1.5+ clubs longer.

My normal 7 iron carry is about 152. Tried the F9s with Modus3 120, KBS Tour FLT 120 and DG AMTs. Good strikes carrying in the 163 range.

Then, for no other reason than I saw it there in the back of the rack, I put a KBS $-Taper 120 in it. Hit 170 on a few strikes and routinely got 167 or so.

I'm not big on distance for irons but if I can hit 'em where I want and the distance is consistent, I'll take the extra distance. And the dispersion, especially with the $-Tapers was excellent. I should note that these shafts all spun in the 3900 or so range, some 3-400 rpms lower than my AP-1s so I have to wonder how well they'd stick when hit to a green.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

FWIW I hit these again today. Hard to figure how they go so far. Once again experienced a very forgiving head. The 7 iron is 29.5* - only 1/2* stronger than my current Ap-1s but according to the LM I am hitting it 1-1.5+ clubs longer.

My normal 7 iron carry is about 152. Tried the F9s with Modus3 120, KBS Tour FLT 120 and DG AMTs. Good strikes carrying in the 163 range.

Then, for no other reason than I saw it there in the back of the rack, I put a KBS $-Taper 120 in it. Hit 170 on a few strikes and routinely got 167 or so.

I'm not big on distance for irons but if I can hit 'em where I want and the distance is consistent, I'll take the extra distance. And the dispersion, especially with the $-Tapers was excellent. I should note that these shafts all spun in the 3900 or so range, some 3-400 rpms lower than my AP-1s so I have to wonder how well they'd stick when hit to a green.

Were the F9 7 spinning less than your AP1 6 iron? Reason I ask is if you are hitting the F9 1-1.5 clubs longer, probably makes sense to compare spin numbers to what club you’d hit into a green at 165 for example and not go 7 vs 7.

Vokey SM6 50F, 54F, 58M
Spider Tour Red

Talked to cobra yesterday, and asked again about a "Rickie" version of the f9 4iron. They said they are selling a few of the 4i with the stock Attmos 7 shaft from the f9 hybrids. It was going to be the same price as the stock iron graphite so I will probably order one. Just curious if anyone has hit that shaft, and what you think it would play like as a driving iron?

i got your ranking

I have some Forged Tec Black and King Forged CB being delivered tomorrow. I also own Amp Forged so I'll snap a pick and show size differences.

I'd say actually looking at these, that the differences in size between the King Forged CB and Amp Forged are pretty much the same size differences between the Amp Forged and Forged Tec Black.

As an fyi, I don't have a 6 forged tec black, so the pics are not completely apples to apples.

Vokey SM6 50F, 54F, 58M
Spider Tour Red

Had a chance to hit the F9 today and really impressed. I was comparing it to the G410, 7 irons in both. I liked the feel of the F9 better, it had denser feel to it on contact - if that make an senses. Also liked that it had less offset than the Ping (F9 at .125" vs the Ping at .18"). Wasn't keen that you could see a bit of the cavity with the F9, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker. I was hitting the F9 more consistently and getting about 5-8 yards more than with the G410 - the F9 is 0.5* stronger and 1/2" longer but I assume that at least 1/4" of the additional length is the Connect grip. I was hitting off mats and would be interested in hearing from those who have put these in play - specifically how they perform off the turf and also how the shorter irons play.

So I got in a quick 9 today and put my F9 7 iron into play. I was super impressed with the feel off the face. Really nice forges feel. Ball flight was a high piercing but not ballooning flight. 177 yd uphill Par 3 into a slight wind. Hit the green and stopped after a skip or two. Birdie putt. Of course I pulled it for par. Looks not bad at all although definitely bigger than my Apex Pro. But then again a hell of a lot easier and more forgiving. Also hit a few partial shots with the 7 with good results. Need more on course testing to see if I’m all in on the game improvement iron type in 19. My heart knows I need to be but my ego is whispering don’t do it don’t do it. I will say this. If I do go to add a game improvement set to my stable it will be the F9

So I got in a quick 9 today and put my F9 7 iron into play. I was super impressed with the feel off the face. Really nice forges feel. Ball flight was a high piercing but not ballooning flight. 177 yd uphill Par 3 into a slight wind. Hit the green and stopped after a skip or two. Birdie putt. Of course I pulled it for par. Looks not bad at all although definitely bigger than my Apex Pro. But then again a hell of a lot easier and more forgiving. Also hit a few partial shots with the 7 with good results. Need more on course testing to see if I'm all in on the game improvement iron type in 19. My heart knows I need to be but my ego is whispering don't do it don't do it. I will say this. If I do go to add a game improvement set to my stable it will be the F9

Good to hear. What shaft do you have in it? I will play a couple rounds in a few weeks and can't wait to get these outdoors.

Rogue ST Max 9 Degree Tensei AV White 65x
G400 3 Wood Tour75x

Sub70 699U 2 Hzrdus Smoke 6.5
G400 3 Hybrid Tour85x
PXG 0211DC 5-GW Tour Elevate x
PXG 0311 52 & 58 Tour Elevate x
Taylormade Spider X

So I got in a quick 9 today and put my F9 7 iron into play. I was super impressed with the feel off the face. Really nice forges feel. Ball flight was a high piercing but not ballooning flight. 177 yd uphill Par 3 into a slight wind. Hit the green and stopped after a skip or two. Birdie putt. Of course I pulled it for par. Looks not bad at all although definitely bigger than my Apex Pro. But then again a hell of a lot easier and more forgiving. Also hit a few partial shots with the 7 with good results. Need more on course testing to see if I'm all in on the game improvement iron type in 19. My heart knows I need to be but my ego is whispering don't do it don't do it. I will say this. If I do go to add a game improvement set to my stable it will be the F9

Good to hear. What shaft do you have in it? I will play a couple rounds in a few weeks and can't wait to get these outdoors.

C Taper Lite XFlex. Jumbo max grip. Man that puppy is fat

I've had a set of F9 OL for a few weeks now (ordered direct from Cobra and they actually showed a few days before the official release) and I really like them. The clubs are a thousands times more durable then the F8s. I've hit a lot of balls with them and they still look like new.

Stock shafts? I am thinking of selling my F7 one lengths for the F9s.

For those considering the variable length, for some reason Cobra chose to increase length by 3/4 inches from 6 to 5 iron and 5 to 4 iron. I don't know if this is becoming a common practice, but I find it annoying and didn't catch that before placing my order. I had a local club builder adjust my 4 and 5 down to the normal half inch progressions.

Rogue ST Max 9 Degree Tensei AV White 65x
G400 3 Wood Tour75x

Sub70 699U 2 Hzrdus Smoke 6.5
G400 3 Hybrid Tour85x
PXG 0211DC 5-GW Tour Elevate x
PXG 0311 52 & 58 Tour Elevate x
Taylormade Spider X