1st Bogey Free Round! Who else?

dpb5031

Way to go!!! Feels so, so good, doesn't it? :-)

We're close in age, as I'm 51. I'll never forget my first one. I was in my early 30's and I had been scratch or below for 6 or 7 years at that time. Had many opportunities for a bogey-free round, most of which ended at the 16th hole at my old home course, Canyon Crest in Riverside.

It's 195ish with a plateau green, and if I could par that one I knew I would be bogey-free since the 17th is an easy downhill par-4, and the 18th a reachable par five with not much trouble.

Well I finally managed it by parring 16. I'll Never forget the satisfaction I felt parring it. For some reason, I just knew once I parred 16 that I was not going to bogey 17 or 18 that day.

And like Roger Bannister's four minute mile, once I did it once I did it a whole bunch more in the next 10 years. Probably two or three times a year for 10 years.

Had at least one that I can remember last year. Not playing as much now, though. So we'll see if I can have one or two this year. :-)

What are you playing to now, index-wise?

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

We're close in age, as I'm 51. I'll never forget my first one. I was in my early 30's and I had been scratch or below for 6 or 7 years at that time. Had many opportunities for a bogey-free round, most of which ended at the 16th hole at my old home course, Canyon Crest in Riverside.

It's 195ish with a plateau green, and if I could par that one I knew I would be bogey-free since the 17th is an easy downhill par-4, and the 18th a reachable par five with not much trouble.

Well I finally managed it by parring 16. I'll Never forget the satisfaction I felt parring it. For some reason, I just knew once I parred 16 that I was not going to bogey 17 or 18 that day.

And like Roger Bannister's four minute mile, once I did it once I did it a whole bunch more in the next 10 years. Probably two or three times a year for 10 years.

Had at least one that I can remember last year. Not playing as much now, though. So we'll see if I can have one or two this year. :-)

Thanks Obee, I know your a really good player so I'm not surprised to hear you've had multiple bogey-free rounds over the years.

My current index is 2.3 but will likely plummet at the next revision. I was at an uncomfortable 0.0 index ? at the close of the season up north, but that was on the low side for me (usually around a 2). I had a good stretch at the end of the season up there winning our senior club championship, our club's points race, and year-end shootout.

I didnt play golf at all as a kid, not starting until I was about 25. I got down to about a 6/7 HC and just kinda got stuck there. Wasn't till my daughter started playing higher level junior golf about 8 years ago that I began to make progress after realizing I needed to get her some quality instruction.

I found the Slicefixer 9 to 3 thread here on GolfWRX and began implementing his fundamentals. Ultimately both my daughter and I worked with Geoff in person and the results were great for both of us.

I think it's so cool that at nearly 51 years of age I'm a better player than I was as at 31. There aren't too many sports where that's even possible and hopefully that notion gives hope to others! I know it wont be easy, but I still believe I can get better if I commit to it. We"ll see...

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

I have a 72 with 18 straight 2-putt pars.

Funny thing is, people are liking this and you probably hate it since hitting 18 greens I'm sure you had a few good looks at birdie you didn't convert. But it's a unique achievement for sure.

For the OP a bogey free round is a great thing because even on courses you know and play well there's usually a couple of holes that will give you trouble for whatever reason and that maybe you make a lot of bogeys on so its a mark of playing well and not just being lucky or something.

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

Funny thing is, people are liking this and you probably hate it since hitting 18 greens I'm sure you had a few good looks at birdie you didn't convert. But it's a unique achievement for sure.

For the OP a bogey free round is a great thing because even on courses you know and play well there's usually a couple of holes that will give you trouble for whatever reason and that maybe you make a lot of bogeys on so its a mark of playing well and not just being lucky or something.

Agreed Bishop, there are always those few holes where you sigh in relief if you're fortunate enough to get through them with par.

Now, Mtljeff, 18 GIRs is a feat in itself. I'm pretty sure I've never done that...especially if you count fringes as missed greens. Still, had to be frustrating to have that many birdie putts and none drop.

On a separate note, this discussion has me thinking of other cool & memorable accomplishments in the game. I've got 4 holes-in-one, a double-eagle (jarred 2nd shot on par 5), and a round of 67 at my home course in NJ where I only had 19 official putts.

I'd really like to hit all 18 greens sometime...

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Thanks Obee, I know your a really good player so I'm not surprised to hear you've had multiple bogey-free rounds over the years.

My current index is 2.3 but will likely plummet at the next revision. I was at an uncomfortable 0.0 index at the close of the season up north, but that was on the low side for me (usually around a 2). I had a good stretch at the end of the season up there winning our senior club championship, our club's points race, and year-end shootout.

I didnt play golf at all as a kid, not starting until I was about 25. I got down to about a 6/7 HC and just kinda got stuck there. Wasn't till my daughter started playing higher level junior golf about 8 years ago that I began to make progress after realizing I needed to get her some quality instruction.

I found the Slicefixer 9 to 3 thread here on GolfWRX and began implementing his fundamentals. Ultimately both my daughter and I worked with Geoff in person and the results were great for both of us.

I think it's so cool that at nearly 51 years of age I'm a better player than I was as at 31. There aren't too many sports where that's even possible and hopefully that notion gives hope to others! I know it wont be easy, but I still believe I can get better if I commit to it. We"ll see...

I so love to hear this! Curious about the slicefixer 9 - 3 swing thing. Were you a slicer before? Even as a 2 index? Or maybe just your ball-striking was inconsistent? And how often were you seeing Geoff in person?

Regarding my bogey-free rounds: Keep in mind for almost 20 years, I averaged 150+ rounds a year, so I've had a lot of opportunities as a decent player to go bogey-free. With all those reps bogey-free through 14, 15, or 16 holes, you eventually figure out a way to close the deal. Even I did, and I"m a phocking mental midget. I failed over and over and over, and it was all nerves most of the time. I so badly wanted it. LOL

Hahahaaa...no Obee, I was not a slicer, if anything I was more of a "swing to right field" hooker...lol!

The Slicefixer 9/3 thread is one of the more iconic instructional discussions in the history of GolfWRX. It's an entire thread (multi-year) discussion about the swing ideology of Geoff Jones, a swing coach from Texarkana, AK who played at University of Houston and very briefly on Tour. His GolfWRX moniker is Slicefixer. Sadly, he no longer contributes here, but there's plenty of content in the thread:

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/146842-93-drill-and-muchmuchmore/page__fromsearch__1

I started reading his stuff and it resonated with me. I realized I had many misconceptions about the swing that were holding me back. I started to improve almost immediately upon making some changes on my own, and I really improved after seeing him in person. My daughter ended up with a D1 full ride and has played in 2 USGA National championships. Geoff's stuff is pure gold.

We only see him a couple of times per year at this point, but I know his stuff well enough to keep making progress on my own if I put in the time.

Edit to add: 9 to 3 refers to a drill Geoff often prescribes. His version is slightly different than most instructor's though, as he wants you to maintain the angle in your right hand and wrist through impact. The idea is to learn to compress the ball and square up the clubface with your pivot. Once you "get it," you can progress to a fuller motion...

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

When you were first taking lessons with him, how frequently did you go, and for how long at your peak?

When you were first taking lessons with him, how frequently did you go, and for how long at your peak?

The first time we saw him we spent 4 days in Texarkana. Geoff was great and actually spent a lot of time making sure I "got it" so that I could monitor Haley's progress. A "train the trainer" type deal if you will, since we lived in NJ. I will say that Geoff was impressed with how much of his stuff I learned and implemented on my own, as he said most screw it up trying on their own.

After our initial trip Geoff began coming up to NY to teach about 4 or 5 times per year so we'd see him then. Geoff would let me observe his lessons with others also. We stay a full day, sometimes two, so I learned a ton.

My swing doesn't have the pretty aesthetics of most of his players, but the bones are there...especially the release. Here's some video of my daughter hitting driver if you want to get an idea of Geoff's teachings. Observe how stable the clubface is all the way through impact. That's his preferred release style:

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

The first time we saw him we spent 4 days in Texarkana. Geoff was great and actually spent a lot of time making sure I "got it" so that I could monitor Haley's progress. A "train the trainer" type deal if you will, since we lived in NJ. I will say that Geoff was impressed with how much of his stuff I learned and implemented on my own, as he said most screw it up trying on their own.

After our initial trip Geoff began coming up to NY to teach about 4 or 5 times per year so we'd see him then. Geoff would let me observe his lessons with others also. We stay a full day, sometimes two, so I learned a ton.

My swing doesn't have the pretty aesthetics of most of his players, but the bones are there...especially the release. Here's some video of my daughter hitting driver if you want to get an idea of Geoff's teachings. Observe how stable the clubface is all the way through impact. That's his preferred release style:

[media=]

[/media]

[media=]

[/media]

Just awesome - my daughter never played at that level, and doesn't matter she didn't, just brings back some of the best memories I've ever had in golf playing with her every night after golf practice when she was in HS and any golf then and since. That's when I made the first biggest strides in improving as well, at a little older age - 47 when she was a freshman. Still getting better, bit by bit.

Love seeing those swings!

Pretty nice to be able to share and enjoy one of your passions with your child. We've played some awesome places in our travels with her competitive golf. Bandon, Medinah, Forest Highlands, Baltusrol, Plainfield, Bear's Club, Medalist and many more....great stuff!

Working to help her improve and taking care to ensure that she got good info and good instruction certainly made me a better player.

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Many bogey free rounds, 115,118,121

You've got to start somewhere; try striving for 18 holes with no triples or worse! ?

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Agreed Bishop, there are always those few holes where you sigh in relief if you're fortunate enough to get through them with par.

Now, Mtljeff, 18 GIRs is a feat in itself. I'm pretty sure I've never done that...especially if you count fringes as missed greens. Still, had to be frustrating to have that many birdie putts and none drop.

On a separate note, this discussion has me thinking of other cool & memorable accomplishments in the game. I've got 4 holes-in-one, a double-eagle (jarred 2nd shot on par 5), and a round of 67 at my home course in NJ where I only had 19 official putts.

I'd really like to hit all 18 greens sometime...

It was a really weird round, especially when you consider the course has 3 mostly reachable par 5's, and on each I was close to hitting it in two , than hit a poor chip.

However, on the other hand overall it's a tough course that also has a 490yd par 4 and a 470yd par 4.

The guy in the bag shop said it was one of the best rounds he'd heard of there. (Course called Le Geant in Quebec). I could've gone lower but it's also my best ball striking round ever

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I’m amazed at how some of you remember rounds years later. I remember none of the milestone rounds I’ve had in much detail. Maybe a shot or two at best from each.

If I was on tour and someone asked me about a particular tournament I played well in, I’d have no specific details. I’m the guy who plays the same course a million times but when someone says, “how’d you do on 15?”, I have to stop and think for a bit about what hole 15 is. I’m not an entirely stupid person either. University educated and everything.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

Im amazed at how some of you remember rounds years later. I remember none of the milestone rounds Ive had in much detail. Maybe a shot or two at best from each.

If I was on tour and someone asked me about a particular tournament I played well in, Id have no specific details. Im the guy who plays the same course a million times but when someone says, howd you do on 15?, I have to stop and think for a bit about what hole 15 is. Im not an entirely stupid person either. University educated and everything.

Recall is a thing. Some people can recall much, some very little. Most in between.

Kind of like everything. :-)

No bogeys but do double bogeys count?

Naah... been there, done that...lol! ?

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

I’m amazed at how some of you remember rounds years later. I remember none of the milestone rounds I’ve had in much detail. Maybe a shot or two at best from each.

If I was on tour and someone asked me about a particular tournament I played well in, I’d have no specific details. I’m the guy who plays the same course a million times but when someone says, “how’d you do on 15?”, I have to stop and think for a bit about what hole 15 is. I’m not an entirely stupid person either. University educated and everything.

Recall is a thing. Some people can recall much, some very little. Most in between.

Obee, do you remember the Slicefixer 9 to 3 thread? Did you check it out?

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

I'm amazed at how some of you remember rounds years later. I remember none of the milestone rounds I've had in much detail. Maybe a shot or two at best from each.

If I was on tour and someone asked me about a particular tournament I played well in, I'd have no specific details. I'm the guy who plays the same course a million times but when someone says, "how'd you do on 15?", I have to stop and think for a bit about what hole 15 is. I'm not an entirely stupid person either. University educated and everything.

Obee, do you remember the Slicefixer 9 to 3 thread? Did you check it out?

I don't. I don't think I was ever involved. I will check it out, though, for sure.

4-5 years ago I was playing in a big Pro Am where it’s one pro (lots of Tour players) and 3 scratch ams and played all 36 holes bogey free. Only problem was I only made 2 birdies. Winning score was 117 for 36 holes and safe to say we weren’t close to that. Would have been better to shoot 80 both days but have 8 birdies.

4-5 years ago I was playing in a big Pro Am where its one pro (lots of Tour players) and 3 scratch ams and played all 36 holes bogey free. Only problem was I only made 2 birdies. Winning score was 117 for 36 holes and safe to say we werent close to that. Would have been better to shoot 80 both days but have 8 birdies.

LOL. Yep, that ain't gonna get it done. :-)

4-5 years ago I was playing in a big Pro Am where it’s one pro (lots of Tour players) and 3 scratch ams and played all 36 holes bogey free. Only problem was I only made 2 birdies. Winning score was 117 for 36 holes and safe to say we weren’t close to that. Would have been better to shoot 80 both days but have 8 birdies.

36 holes bogey-free is such great playing! Sounds like ball striking tee-to-green? There's nothing like being "in the zone" with your ball striking; it's typically fleeting for me, but when I get into that zone the game actually feels easy.

I had another pretty good round today, 70 with a 33 with 4 birdies on the back. Unfortunately I had a stupid-azz bogey on a relatively short par 3 on the back plus two on the front. I am starting to figure out Bermuda grass chipping and putting though, to the point where hopefully it becomes intuitive.

I'm also trying to condition my mind/expectations to shooting under par, but it's not easy to recalibrate the hard-drive without setting myself up for frustration. My mental game is generally good, but I'd love to hear some tips or mental tricks that may be helpful in producing and sustaining low scores on a regular?

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

36 holes bogey-free is such great playing! Sounds like ball striking tee-to-green? There's nothing like being "in the zone" with your ball striking; it's typically fleeting for me, but when I get into that zone the game actually feels easy.

I had another pretty good round today, 70 with a 33 with 4 birdies on the back. Unfortunately I had a stupid-azz bogey on a relatively short par 3 on the back plus two on the front. I am starting to figure out Bermuda grass chipping and putting though, to the point where hopefully it becomes intuitive.

I'm also trying to condition my mind/expectations to shooting under par, but it's not easy to recalibrate the hard-drive without setting myself up for frustration. My mental game is generally good, but I'd love to hear some tips or mental tricks that may be helpful in producing and sustaining low scores on a regular?

33/36 greens. It’s on two very private Donald Ross courses here with ridiculous greens that they get silly fast for the event. Can have putts you’re just praying to get with 8’ for second putt. Hit it good but not great leaving lots of 20-35’ putts.

I'm 50 (51 in April), have been playing for about 25 years, and today playing in our men's group, had my first ever bogey free round! Four birdies, the rest pars on a par 72 for 68. I've had some lower scores in the past, and also some good scores in really tough conditions that I've been proud of, but this has been kind of a secret goal of mine for quite a while, and proved to be particularly elusive.

I've got to admit that I started thinking about it with about 4 holes to play, but just stayed focused on playing our four-ball match and winning holes. I truly didn't get nervous until standing over my approach on #18 (water in play). Fortunately I struck it pure from 161 yards to about 18' and an easy two putt. In all honesty I'm just elated; it's a very gratifying feeling to finally do something in the game that has eluded me for so long, and that I'd imagine only a very small percentage of the golfing population will ever accomplish.

So, who else has had a bogey free round, or maybe come close but just didnt quite get it done?

Hey... I'm 66 will be 67 in April and I did it once many years ago hit all but 2 fairways and hit all 18 greens with 36 putts... at the time I thought it was the most boring round of golf I had ever played.... what I would give to be able to do that today....but hey... trying one length clubs this year and who knows... anything is possibel

Peace

• Like 1

Driver .....TM M2  12* ... Stock shaft Reg.

3 Wood...TM M2 HL 16*..stock reg shaft

7 Wood  TM  M2... stock shaft reg.

Hybrids....Adams.... A3OS Boxer  3-4-5 hybrids..Grafalloy  platinum Reg flex

Cobra F7 one length irons..... 6 - SW .. ...shafts.. Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue Axis @ 37.5"

Putter (varies) currently Custom made Starship model

Peace....  Update... 69 yrs old shot 68 this summer(2021)... God I love this game...

Hahahaaa...no Obee, I was not a slicer, if anything I was more of a "swing to right field" hooker...lol!

The Slicefixer 9/3 thread is one of the more iconic instructional discussions in the history of GolfWRX. It's an entire thread (multi-year) discussion about the swing ideology of Geoff Jones, a swing coach from Texarkana, AK who played at University of Houston and very briefly on Tour. His GolfWRX moniker is Slicefixer. Sadly, he no longer contributes here, but there's plenty of content in the thread:

http://www.golfwrx.c...__fromsearch__1

I started reading his stuff and it resonated with me. I realized I had many misconceptions about the swing that were holding me back. I started to improve almost immediately upon making some changes on my own, and I really improved after seeing him in person. My daughter ended up with a D1 full ride and has played in 2 USGA National championships. Geoff's stuff is pure gold.

We only see him a couple of times per year at this point, but I know his stuff well enough to keep making progress on my own if I put in the time.

Edit to add: 9 to 3 refers to a drill Geoff often prescribes. His version is slightly different than most instructor's though, as he wants you to maintain the angle in your right hand and wrist through impact. The idea is to learn to compress the ball and square up the clubface with your pivot. Once you "get it," you can progress to a fuller motion...

Thanks for the link... went there and the 3 PDF files are still available after 10+ years so we'll see what's up with that

Driver .....TM M2  12* ... Stock shaft Reg.

3 Wood...TM M2 HL 16*..stock reg shaft

7 Wood  TM  M2... stock shaft reg.

Hybrids....Adams.... A3OS Boxer  3-4-5 hybrids..Grafalloy  platinum Reg flex

Cobra F7 one length irons..... 6 - SW .. ...shafts.. Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue Axis @ 37.5"

Putter (varies) currently Custom made Starship model

Peace....  Update... 69 yrs old shot 68 this summer(2021)... God I love this game...

That’s awesome! I also just got really excited there was someplace to play in NJ but i see you moved ha! That’s great too!

I’ve had a couple 69’s and one career was a 68, but no bogey free’s. That’s special!

Titleist Ts2 10.5* GD DI 6x
Titliest 915 5w 18* GD DI 7x
Callaway Apex 23*h Oban Devotion 
Callaway Apex 26*h GD DI 85x
Srixon 785 6-PW Nippon 105 Modus
Titleist SM7 50*, 54*, 58* Nippon 115 Modus 
Odyssey #7 Plumber Neck 
2018 Taylormade tp5

https://www.instagram.com/benzoducky/