An hour on launch monitor, how much should it cost?

CAT GOLFER

I wish a place near me would have this option. I don't really want to rent out the simulator at Golf Galaxy or Dicks for an hour and have people around nonstop.

A golf dome does have Trackman, but they only allow access to it when getting fitted for something there. I've asked if I could just rent it out at times they didn't have fittings scheduled and they weren't open to it.

I usually just grab a couple of clubs off the used rack and tell them I’m comparing them to my current clubs in order to hit for free. It doesn’t solve your concern about having people around, but at least it’s free. Sometimes around 7:00 on weeknights I’m the only one in my local GG too.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend and I have floated this as a business plan. Curious to hear others' accounts of their local market.

Interesting that the rates are similar regardless of the LM yet the monitors vary largely. I'd like to buy a Trackman as we would use it for outside fittings in the summer, but hard to justify the added expense.

....my retirement plan:

I'm about to finally buy another house since we moved back to IL two years ago. My plan is to build a heated building outside my house that will have a Trackman, bar etc. I already have friends willing to pay for time on it next winter....I'll put in the tee/net outside this summer as well so I can conduct private lessons away from the course I currently work at.

Hogan's Secret.......it's in plain sight but not for everyone...
https://6sigmagolfrx.com/
2017 Taylormade M2 9.5 (set at 10.5) w/ Diamana S+ Blueboard 60 S
2010 Tour Edge Exotics XCG3 3W w/Fujikura Motore S 15 deg
2014 Taylormade SLDR S HL 3W 17deg Fujikura Speeder 65 R, shortened
2017 Tour Edge Exotics 3H UST Mamiya 670 S
2009 Callaway Xforged 3i w/ KBS tour S
2012 Cobra Amp Forged 4-GW w/ Fujikura Pro i95 S
2013 Miura forged 54 & 58 wedges - w/ DG Tour issue S
Ping Cadence Rustler Traditional putter

I wish a place near me would have this option. I don't really want to rent out the simulator at Golf Galaxy or Dicks for an hour and have people around nonstop.

A golf dome does have Trackman, but they only allow access to it when getting fitted for something there. I've asked if I could just rent it out at times they didn't have fittings scheduled and they weren't open to it.

I usually just grab a couple of clubs off the used rack and tell them I’m comparing them to my current clubs in order to hit for free. It doesn’t solve your concern about having people around, but at least it’s free. Sometimes around 7:00 on weeknights I’m the only one in my local GG too.

Hahaha! Your GG must be pretty relaxed. Mine are full of a bunch of idiots. I stopped going to my GG when they told me they were going to have to charge me “range time” to demo a used iron if I wasn’t going to buy it.

I looked at the kid thinking it was some sort of bad joke. I Waited for the punchline. Nope. He was dead serious.

I told him he could take the club and shove it up his Word not allowed. It would be a cold day in hell before I pay to demo a golf club in a golf shop.

I Left and didn’t go back for two years.

I have a buddy that works a 1/2 mile away.. He liked to PUTT on his lunch break. They eventually told him they were going to CHARGE HIM TO USE THE PUTTING GREEN if he wasn’t intending to buy anything. Fools.

Hahaha! Your GG must be pretty relaxed. Mine are full of a bunch of idiots. I stopped going to my GG when they told me they were going to have to charge me “range time” to demo a used iron if I wasn’t going to buy it.

I looked at the kid thinking it was some sort of bad joke. I Waited for the punchline. Nope. He was dead serious.

I told him he could take the club and shove it up his Word not allowed. It would be a cold day in hell before I pay to demo a golf club in a golf shop.

I have a buddy that works a 1/2 mile away.. He liked to PUTT on his lunch break. They eventually told him they were going to CHARGE HIM TO USE THE PUTTING GREEN if he wasn’t intending to buy anything. Fools.

I get the same vibe from the guys at my GG. During the winter I'd go in a couple times a month, just to see if any new stuff had come in on trades and they'd always look angrier and angrier each time I swing by.

For starters if they had reasonable prices on used clubs, I'd probably shop there more. Stopped in for the first time in a few months over the weekend and a couple of the used M3s they had were priced $20 higher than the brand new ones they had left in stock.

I get the same vibe from the guys at my GG. During the winter I'd go in a couple times a month, just to see if any new stuff had come in on trades and they'd always look angrier and angrier each time I swing by.

For starters if they had reasonable prices on used clubs, I'd probably shop there more. Stopped in for the first time in a few months over the weekend and a couple of the used M3s they had were priced $20 higher than the brand new ones they had left in stock.

Bad management, bad pay, high turnover, very little knowledge = crappy experience. I detest the place.

Anyone in Columbus, go to Par Golf Discount in Dublin on Sawmill. Dan the man owns it. Small shop and he’s had it for decades and he gives a damn. Excellent club repair skills as well.

I was just chatting with a buddy about this last weekend. I would honestly pay $50-75 an hour to sit on a launch monitor with my clubs/ball of choice and fit myself or see what my data looks like with current gear and shafts I have lying around. I thoroughly enjoy the tinkering but naturally like most I cannot afford the high end launch monitors for home use. Set it up, let me loose, and give me a print out of the data when I done.

Hell, I could honestly see myself using something like that several times a year.

Cobra F9 TL 10.5 Atmos Black 7x
Cobra F8+ 3/4 &/or 5/6 Tour Blue 85x
Cobra F8 2H Element EarthX &/or Cobra F9 4H PX6.5
Ping I210 5-PW LZ 6.0
Ping Stealth 2.0 50/54/58 LZ 6.0

Some form of a Scotty, Betti, Spider

We have two GGs in the Raleigh area (we used to have three). They are both different in this respect. Unfortunately the people at the one closer to my house are unfriendly and I dislike all of them and therefore do not shop at that store. The one further away is larger, has more used clubs, better prices, and they are much friendlier. They’ve never given me any issues hitting clubs in the simulator.

where can I find this deal bay area CA lol

everyones charging $150+ hour, and you need to be supervised

Damn I guess I did my business model for the wrong area!!!

PXG Gen 4 0811XT 9* Tensei White AV RAW 65X

PXG Gen 4 0341X 3W Tensei White AV RAW 75X

PXG Gen 1 0211 19* Tensei White AV RAW 90X

PXG 0317ST 4-W Extreme Darkness PX LZ 6.5

PXG SD2 50* & 54 PX LZ 6.0

PXG SD 58*

PXG Battle Ready Bat Attack Slant neck 34" 

Our plan was to integrate it with some other "sporting goods" concepts. We have a full work shop of club building equipment between us, so we would do club work. I used to be a bicycle mechanic so we would close a couple of bays and fix and sell used bicycles in the summer. We were considering a beer and wine license deal to put some taps in and sell beer for "league" or bike mechanic teaching clinics, etc.

I don't know about selling used junior sports equipment like hockey and football stuff, but it seems that could be lucrative. Maybe some ski and snowboard stuff as I worked in that industry for a long time. Not too expensive to put a belt and stone in and tune skis and snowboards. Mounting skis and boards is easy peasy too.

Seems the most lucrative models are selling very value oriented new stuff and used stuff and leaving the expensive OEM's and inventory to the more specialty stores.

I'm thinking one Trackman so we could do outdoor fittings at a local range during the summer and the other bays use something less expensive that would work as a decent SIM in the winter.

I think we could rent the space from one of the partners that owns some industrial real estate. But, he's not going to rent it to us at a loss, and we wouldn't ask him to do that, but I think if his mortgage is paid he's reasonable about his return on some investment and some build out. It's really a labor of love as there's just not much money in it.

I live in the Pittsburgh area. As far as I'm aware, these are the only simulator options we have:

3Trak simulator - $48 per hour

FullSwing Golf e6 simulator - $36 per hour

Trackman - $42 per hour

I have no idea what those first two simulators are or how accurate they may be. Golf Galaxy has a GC Quad, but I have no idea how you go about reserving those. In fact, I'm not even sure you can? There's also a Golftec and a Club Champion in the area, but as far as I know you can't just rent out their simulators.

Cool Springs in Bethel Park have simulators available for $48 an hour.

I think it's cheaper for the heated bays with the ball tracking info outside. Been a year since I was there. So who knows

About the range in Dublin, OH mentioned above... I went there when I was in town for a few days and two of us charged the same $25/person/hour to share a bay. So as a single it would be $25/hr but if there's two of you its $50/hour and you hit half as many shots.. We played a round of golf that if we booked two separate bays (which were open) would cost us $25/each and we're done in an hour. Instead it took us 2 hours and $50/each to play one round. Next time I'll just go by myself but I would think there would be an incentive to have more than one person on a bay at a time, maybe $35/hr for two people.

Driver: Sim OG 8* (-2g), Diamana ZF 40x

3wood: Sim Ti Rocket 14*, SMT 3390 Tour V 50x

5wood: Sim Ti @18*, SMT 3390 Tour V 50x

4i-GW: Ke4 Max (-8g), SMT Bassara 65x +1"

SW: CBX2 52*, Rotex Precision 90g wedge flex

LW: Tour Grind MG 60*

P: 2013 Scotty Cameron Newport Black, Pistolero

Grips: Lamkin Crossline 58r

Ball: TP5X 2019

I think it's cheaper for the heated bays with the ball tracking info outside. Been a year since I was there. So who knows

The "3Trak" thing is the indoor simulator at Cool Springs. I really know nothing about the technology, so I can't say if it's worth the $48 an hour.

I've used the Top Tracer (or Pro Tracer?) bays several times. I left it out of my post because I don't really whether you can call the technology a "launch monitor". I believe it's the same technology used at Top Golf facilities. I'm not 100% sold on it. I got some really messed up data a few times, mostly at the ends of my bag. Like it'd tell me I was hitting 115 yard 60 degree wedges and then 200 yard drivers and fairway woods. Maybe it was something to do with how I launch the ball, or how the machine is calibrated or something, but it seemed like it was seriously overestimating the bottom of my bag while simultaneously underestimating the top. The ball speeds seemed about right, though, so it's probably whatever math is used to calculate distances. Also, the middle of the bag seemed pretty spot on.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5 deg.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 3L

Srixon ZX 3 hybrid

Ping S55 irons

Ping Glide 3.0 54 & 60 deg.

Bettinardi BB-1W

$ 50 hr for me. Outdoor trackman. But you’d be shocked how much you can do in an hour. It’s about all you want at once.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

For the Bay Area, CA folks. I found trackman rental supposedly it's $45/hour but closed for the "winter"

PM me!

PXG 0311XF Gen 5 7.5* Ventus Black 6X
Titleist 913D2 12* UST Mamiya Tour Green 75X
PXG Gen5 19* Ventus Black 10TX
Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
Taylormade Spider Long Broomstick
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

Bad management, bad pay, high turnover, very little knowledge = crappy experience. I detest the place.

Anyone in Columbus, go to Par Golf Discount in Dublin on Sawmill. Dan the man owns it. Small shop and he’s had it for decades and he gives a damn. Excellent club repair skills as well.

If this is the same place I'm thinking of, my Dad used to take me there every winter while we were in town for high school basketball championship weekend @ St John's Arena and the Holiday Inn on Lane. I was about 12 at the the time (back in very early '80s), and that place seemed huge to me! It was like walking into an Austad's catalog if you remember those!

We usually just went to look, and he may buy some balls or other nik-naks, but around the time I was 12-13 and just starting the game, I fell in love with a Wilson 8802 they had on the used rack and he actually bought it for me - wish I still had that putter! I'm in Akron now, but go to Columbus several times a year on business, will definitely have to hit that place up next time and see if it's the same place.

WITB:
Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

If you are playing sim golf, I can’t speak on the charges. But if you are getting on to look at numbers, compare clubs or shafts, it doesn’t take hours of hitting balls. I literally can hit about 3 balls change the shaft out, hit 3-5 more and the answer is almost always obvious. The data is so good, you don’t need a whole lot of time.. Maybe that’s just me though.

Driver- TC Epic 440 with Hzrdus T1100<br />3-Wood- 13 Degree Ping stretch with Ping Tour 75x<br />Hybrid- 915 with Graphite Design Tour AD DI 85<br />Irons- ( 4-PW ) JPX 900 Forged with 110s Steelfibers - Wedges- Sm6 Vokey 48 bent 2 degrees strong - sm6 vokey raw 56 bent to 55 , 58 Raw Low Bounce K grind ( 110 Steelfibers in all wedges same length shafts )<br />Putter- Scotty Cameron Laguna 1.5 Studio Torch Finish that I did...

• 2 weeks later...

I live in the Pittsburgh area. As far as I'm aware, these are the only simulator options we have:

3Trak simulator - $48 per hour

FullSwing Golf e6 simulator - $36 per hour

Trackman - $42 per hour

I have no idea what those first two simulators are or how accurate they may be. Golf Galaxy has a GC Quad, but I have no idea how you go about reserving those. In fact, I'm not even sure you can? There's also a Golftec and a Club Champion in the area, but as far as I know you can't just rent out their simulators.

I live a minute from cool springs. They also have the Toptracer at the outdoor range in their 10 heated bays that is only $5 extra on top of the bucket you have to buy. For $5 it seems like a no brainer to me. I’m not sure how accurate Toptracer is to the other monitors. I think that spin is just estimated but the rest of the numbers seem to be pretty close to what I would expect. They also have TVs down there and sell beer so I spend a lot of time there in the winter.

Taylormade 17 M2 D Type with Ahina 70s
Ping G30 14.5 stiff
Cleveland Mashie 18 hybrid
Ping I E1 4-uw. Modus 105 stiff
Ping 54, 58 Tour S
Taylormade DJ Spider Tour

PGASS has a tour van experience in some of their stores.. You could do a 1 hour gapping session for $40 and get a report from the quad. Might do that once all the new clubs show up. I know it’s inside but better than nothing in the winter.

M3 9.5* / Atmos Black Tour Spec
M4 16.5* / Hzrdus Black
M4 Hybrid 19* / KBS Prototype
P-770 / Project X LZ 6.0
52* / 58* Black Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
59* Original Trusty Rusty / Hump shaft
60* Raw Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
Toulon Garage Columbus Triple Black